Gillon was excellent today | Syracusefan.com

Gillon was excellent today

He made shots, but I was more impressed with the fact that seemed to run on offense on several possessions. Actually about 60% of possessions they seemed to have an offensive purpose, which is a dramatic improvement. Many of his 3's though were not out of any kind of coherent set. They simply went in. If he went 1 for 7 we'd be freaking out. There were all open shots so they were not bad looks, but I liked it better when he drove and got fouled.

He made shots, but I was more impressed with the fact that seemed to run on offense on several possessions. Actually about 60% of possessions they seemed to have an offensive purpose, which is a dramatic improvement. Many of his 3's though were not out of any kind of coherent set. They simply went in. If he went 1 for 7 we'd be freaking out. There were all open shots so they were not bad looks, but I liked it better when he drove and got fouled.
right, but his first couple were wide open looks that he had to take - and he nailed them. he was then feeling it and made some more - nothing to not like about that. and yes, he penetrated well and did a pretty good job running the O... more importantly, he was very active at the tope of the zone and cause some TOs. he had a very strong game all around and we are going to need that going forward

Seemed to be dribbling a lot closer to the basket today, seemed like before this game he always dribbling around fairly close to half court, as many people pointed out.

Agreed. He played very well. Unfortunately, this team has to put it on someone from a big boy league before I feel any better about the state of the 2016-17 season.

the bench and gillon carried us thru the 1st half when the game was still a contest. starters padded their stats when the game was already decided.

Gillon changed the game when he came in. He was aggressive and got into the paint to make plays. All our guards were getting lost covering their shooters. Good lord Hankerson. Unbelievable our unawareness of him. Thompson was HUGE. Good game all around! Does he potentially start or solid bench production? He clearly does things on offense that Roberson can only dream of.

Gillon changed the game when he came in. He was aggressive and got into the paint to make plays. All our guards were getting lost covering their shooters. Good lord Hankerson. Unbelievable our unawareness of him. Thompson was HUGE. Good game all around! Does he potentially start or solid bench production? He clearly does things on offense that Roberson can only dream of.

Seems like he's what Roberson was supposed to be.

Gillon did a better job than in past games at getting others involved. If we're indeed going to make our identity as a fast-break team, G-III will have to be a big part of it because of his speed. Good to see he's not just thinking of his own shot (but no one's going to take 6-7 on 3-pt. shooting back to the returns desk).-VBOF

Hate to be " that guy", but showing up against mid majors has not been an issue for him. How he plays against major conference programs has been. While encouraging, I'll feep better once he plays like this against an ACC team.

Hate to be " that guy", but showing up against mid majors has not been an issue for him. How he plays against major conference programs has been. While encouraging, I'll feep better once he plays like this against an ACC team.

Same can be said about the entire team.

Yes he was very good but that hasn't been the problem, he's been really good against the smaller school teams, it's the teams that have players on our level that he struggles with. I think this Georgetown game will tell a lot about this team and it's development. We can not afford to lay an egg against gtown. We need to win and win big get some confidence and show some development going into conference play.

He had a great game today, but as some have inferred, he will not have the looks when he plays many of the ACC teams with suffocating MtM defense.

TT became my favorite player today, he was awesome. Actually reminded me of the original DCs game, with that hi lo to Lydon and then the 3 he hoisted, not that JB was too pleased with it. But he was otherwise doing everything and wants to put the team on his back, I love the kid. My biggest gripe would be the guard rebounding, or complete absence of it. My god, how may long rebounds did they grab right at the FT line with not an Orange even in the frame? terrible

He was very good, but we'll need Frank to step up to be competitive.

We'll bounce back n forth between the two this year.

If I had two wishes, it's that Frank would start finishing st the rim and Battle would be more disruptive at the top of the zone.

We cannot play long minutes with Gillon and White at the top of the zone. That combination is just brutal.

He was very good, but we'll need Frank to step up to be competitive.

We'll bounce back n forth between the two this year.

If I had two wishes, it's that Frank would start finishing st the rim and Battle would be more disruptive at the top of the zone.

We cannot play long minutes with Gillon and White at the top of the zone. That combination is just brutal.

Yeah, I think our best lineup right now is actually Gillon and Howard -- not just today but as a general rule. I'm not saying that's the lineup we should go with as we move forward but it's the one that feels the most competent. Battle has just done absolutely nothing in the open floor or in unsettled situations. He's literally a stand-still shooter with some size and athleticism to potentially make an impact defensively.

Our guards don't seem to anticipate opponents' movements well. It seems like things get moving quickly and we are way out of position. BU still had a lot of really good looks from 3 today and they made a solid percentage. But it could have been worse. Don't think we looked much better defensively than we did against Wisconsin, we just didn't play Wisconsin, which helps.

Yeah, thought Gillon was able to make a couple plays defensively but generally still really struggled in terms of his responsibilities within the zone. He also has a physical limitation size-wise that is going to be tough for him to overcome ...

TT became my favorite player today, he was awesome. Actually reminded me of the original DCs game, with that hi lo to Lydon and then the 3 he hoisted, not that JB was too pleased with it. But he was otherwise doing everything and wants to put the team on his back, I love the kid. My biggest gripe would be the guard rebounding, or complete absence of it. My god, how may long rebounds did they grab right at the FT line with not an Orange even in the frame? terrible

Yeah, TT was also my favorite player today. Just made pretty much the right plays everywhere. His continued development will truly help this team since you can't afford to have Roberson out there for long stretches, IMO. Certainly not on offense.

My biggest disappointment was the defending of the perimeter. It continues to be a big problem. JB was very frustrated with this in the game one could see visibly on TV and in the presser. Hankerson did make like 2 really deep ones but made like 8 WIDE OPEN ones. Like JB said in the presser; they have to recognize him and make others shoot it. Ugh.

Gillon's shot is pretty nice looking, but between his slow windup and his height, he will have issues getting that shot off in the ACC. Same thing defensively - understandably he's still learning the rotationsin the zone, but his height will be a problem. Ideally we play Frank 32 minutes, and Gillon 8 as a spark off the bench. However Frank will have to improve big time to garner those kind of minutes in the ACC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom