Girard | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Girard

Joe Girard is going to leave because the coach was super flexible with him and started him well into the season when the prevailing thought was Kadary was playing better?

We are talking crazy right now. JG needs to work on his game this summer and be the best Orangeman next two years. Transferring is the simple way out. Boeheim has been unbelievably patient w his game IMO.

So I watched the game last night again. I love Kadary and he is key for us I don't change that view. With that said, the alley oop to Guerrier is neck and neck with Kadary for best reads/plays of the year. It's not Joe's first either.

Joe needs to commit to playing the point. I know he has looked good off the ball but if Marek leaves we need another guard who can facilitate to fill that void. He absolutely is capable and has made some gorgeous passes. If he works his tail off to be able to run the point against pressure and start burning defenders when they crowd him he could have a great finish to his career. He also could make the 3 guard lineup deadly because he and Kadary can share responsibilities when that lineup is out there.

It's gonna take work and a commitment from him. He also needs to develop a working floater a la GMac. It's really going to be up to Joe. I would have last night's game on replay in my mind if I were Joe as that is 1000 pct what we need from him every night. He will make some of those 3s he took and thus be in the 10-12 pts a game range when he is on.

Just be honest with the players. All spots are open. Work your butts off. Kadary, work on that jump shot. Joe, tighten up your handle and work on your point guard skills. Buddy, I’ll see you at dinner.

Girard was a plus point for us, and that starts with defense. Usually, teams are closer to 32-44 at halftime. This game was an anomaly. Clemson had 22 pts at halftime on 22% shooting. Girard could have played the whole half only giving up 22, giving us an extra scorer.

Makes a big difference. I would pin our 25 at halftime on their matchup height. Playing one defensive half goes a long way. It has the power to balance out our lack of or finding easier shots than opponents in some games. Especially when we make a push to a 14 point lead 3 minutes into the second half.

Announcers said it best. Clemson plays off their D. They are the most defensive-reliant team in the acc, and couldn't slow us down the second half. Great coaching by Jim and the gang.

Just be honest with the players. All spots are open. Work your butts off. Kadary, work on that jump shot. Joe, tighten up your handle and work on your point guard skills. Buddy, I’ll see you at dinner.

Yep. We have 3 guys who if they take that leap and raise their game ( Jesse, Joe, Kadary) it could really raise the ceiling for their remaining time.

Joe needs to commit to playing the point. I know he has looked good off the ball but if Marek leaves we need another guard who can facilitate to fill that void. He absolutely is capable and has made some gorgeous passes. If he works his tail off to be able to run the point against pressure and start burning defenders when they crowd him he could have a great finish to his career. He also could make the 3 guard lineup deadly because he and Kadary can share responsibilities when that lineup is out there.

It's gonna take work and a commitment from him. He also needs to develop a working floater a la GMac. It's really going to be up to Joe. I would have last night's game on replay in my mind if I were Joe as that is 1000 pct what we need from him every night. He will make some of those 3s he took and thus be in the 10-12 pts a game range when he is on.

I agree. Joe is doing a good job finding the right distance for his jumper, and not pump faking too close to the basket. Maybe he puts another step and a half of speed on next year to really torch teams with longer 2's and to get half-court layups off quicker. That could also help net him an extra steal or 2 here and there. With our Defense Being taller with Anslem or Sidibe as our backup bigs and with Ajax playing a few at the 4 maybe, should help him earn a solid 15 next year. Maybe he spells Buddys 5 minutes next year on top of that. We don't want to be forced to play with two freshmen guards in 022 though.

Last edited:
I agree. Joe is doing a good job finding the right distance for his jumper, and not pump faking too close to the basket. Maybe he puts another step and a half of speed on next year to really torch teams with longer 2's and to get half-court layups off quicker. That could also help net him an extra steal or 2 here and there. With our Defense Being taller with Anslem or Sidibe as our backup bigs and with Ajax playing a few at the 4 maybe, should help him earn a solid 15 next year. Maybe he spells Buddys 5 minutes next year on top of that. We don't want to be forced to play with two freshmen guards in 022 though.
Unfortunately, I don’t think Joe will settle for twenty minutes a game. He doesn’t appear to be playing with much emotion or joy.

Sure, but Buddy is playing 35+ probably the rest of Joe’s career. There isn’t a spot for him.
That was kind of my point.

Joe Girard is going to leave because the coach was super flexible with him and started him well into the season when the prevailing thought was Kadary was playing better?

We are talking crazy right now. JG needs to work on his game this summer and be the best Orangeman next two years. Transferring is the simple way out. Boeheim has been unbelievably patient w his game IMO.

I don't have an issue if Joe decides it's best for him to leave, that's his decision. Don't think it's the right one, but not my call.

The problem I have is with so called fans here WANTING him to leave. That's obnoxious and uncalled for.

If he was a bad teammate, problem on the court, in the lockerroom, or in the general population that might be different. As far as I know there is none of that with Joe.

I don't have an issue if Joe decides it's best for him to leave, that's his decision. Don't think it's the right one, but not my call.

The problem I have is with so called fans here WANTING him to leave. That's obnoxious and uncalled for.

If he was a bad teammate, problem on the court, in the lockerroom, or in the general population that might be different. As far as I know there is none of that with Joe.

AND - he HAS PROVEN he can contribute to Syracuse, which last I checked is still D1/P5/ACC-level.

Should he start?
Meh - as long as Kadary gets reasonable minutes (he's been getting MORE than Joe lately), then I don't mind that as much.

But we absolutely, positively, unquestionably are a BETTER TEAM with JGIII, than without him.

In fact, frankly we'd really be screwed without him, as we only have 3 scholarship guards as it is, and he's the only other guy with any PG skills at all on the entire roster.

So - anybody who thinks Joe should transfer because he's no good -
go get stuffed.

Joe is a local. I have a hard time believing he’d transfer, he has so many people around him that are die-hard Cuse that I don’t think he’d want to quit on Cuse. He could probably go to a lower P5 school and get a lot of minutes right away (BC, etc) ... or could go the mid major route. But if he wants to play a high P5 level, which I think he does, his role somewhere else would be what it is here next year. A 3rd guard who gets 15-20mpg

Also, 2 things can both be true:
- The team is better when Kadary is in
- Joe is an ACC caliber guard who in the right role can be successful.

The obvious split next year would be 32mpg each for Kadary and Buddy, with Joe getting the leftover 16 minutes.

Unfortunately, I don’t think Joe will settle for twenty minutes a game. He doesn’t appear to be playing with much emotion or joy.
Well, I don't have much joy watching him play. It's on him to get better. It's not like he hasn't had countless opportunities.

Those aren't the real fans though. Those are people who are making life miserable for others. Anyone with half a brain realizes the team is better with JG than without. He's a sophomore who will be better as a senior.

I agree it's his situation for sure Go. If he wants to leave my best wishes to him. I just think what he's going to look for he won't find anywhere else. I think this pandemic, no fans, etc is a problem for an energy guy like JG. He feeds off the crowd. he's a pleaser. Has been since prob 7th grade.

Next year, you should care. It’s a 13 pt difference per100 when Kadary is not on the floor. These are facts. He needs to play the same mins Buddy plays.
That's not all Kadary though. Backline D has been a mess for 3/4 of the season doubling 6 to 13. Plus Girard is still a soph figuring things out. Joe averaging 9.6 points per 27 Kadary 6 in 20 min. Nearly the same amount of assists per game. It's 90% defensive.

Guys out of position across the entire backline for big minutes (Q and Marek all game), griffin undersized being a worse off strategy sometimes for 30 minutes ( when opponents are hot sometimes closer to 20). No true pf, Sf posting up, and just starting to tap into the center spot.

Last edited:
That's not all Kadary though. Backline D has been a mess for 3/4 of the season doubling 6 to 13. Plus Girard is still a soph figuring things out.
Guys out of position across the entire backline for big minutes (Q and Marek all game), griffin too undersized for 30 minutes some games (when opponents are hot should be closer to 20). No true pf, and just starting to tap into the center spot.

it literally is about Kadary and actually not about Joe at all. It’s about Kadary needing the 38 mins that Buddy plays (prefer 34, 35, but we know how JB do)

when one player is on the floor vs off...the numbers are there after sample set of nearly a full regular season. hiding your eyes from the number doesnt change it

It's defensive weakness coming from other positions that is doubling from Girard being undersized. That will change next year, with a tougher backline. Really the difference is 5-7 points. For example we gave up an average of 84 points in the last 6 road losses. The team has a lot of youth. 5 sophs 3 fresh. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
It's defensive weakness coming from other positions that is doubling from Girard being undersized. That will change next year, with a tougher backline. Really the difference is 5-7 points. Just my opinion.

a 5-7 point difference would warrant one guy on the bench and one guy playing more, right?

thats all I’m saying. JDubs post above spells it out.
just would like the board to get off the “they can spilt mins” nonsense. They can’t. We need our best player on the floor.

Tried to give Gutierrez the benefit of the doubt. Wanted to believe what he really meant was that if Richmond and Edwards were playing the way they are now earlier in the season they would be 17-5. But he said if they got the minutes they deserved. Basically saying that Boeheim cost the team wins because he coached improperly.

Won't defend JB belittling him, but that with that tweet he brought a retaliation on himself.

At the risk of playing one guy 10 instead of 17(+) is kind of rough for all his hustle. Although it might be a slightly better strategy even, It's kinda unfair to your 3rd best forward/guard Jrs who started for 2 years. Obviously talking about next year. Problem is Buddy gets much better looks than Girard, and a small part of that is he's a soph.

Joe is a guy we should want to play at Cuse for four years. He’s not Gerry but he can be a solid contributor, if used correctly, for the next two years. My guess is he loses some bulk and comes back quicker and more motivated next season.

Joe needs to take good shots and not take plays off on defense. His handle feels like it regressed this year along with his confidence. But I still believe he can be a big part of a team that achieves at a level we all want this program to. If there was a way I could wager on it, I’d bet ribs and beer at the Dinosaur that Joe will be a huge factor in some big wins over the next two years.

I’m fine if he leaves, we need a real point backing up Kadary, he gets injured or leaves we’re back at square one and a .500 team. I don’t know how he didn’t get credited a turnover at the beginning of the game when he threw 5r ball at Griffs feet and it went out of bounds.
Why don't people understand that there is no replacement if Joe leaves. No incoming freshman. Don't say transfer portal. What kid is going to come to SU to sit the bench? To get 10 minutes a game which is probably not better than the situation he is leaving or isn't better tan Joe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom