Good effort | Syracusefan.com

Good effort

SoBeCuse

Living Legend
That is a VERY talented and deep UNC team. I really loved the effort tonight. They were scrappier and more alert than in some of the past games. Great effort on the boards. Malachi, Trevor, Coleman really played well. Roberson had soem nice plays but some typical What moments.

I just worry about G's being put in that PG role finally catching up to us. He's not getting by any of these better ACC guards and more/less dribbling around doing nothing. Then he forces it and does something dumb. He's going to have to hit his open shots or I'm afraid we could see more games like this. Howard looked slow and ineffective. The PG situation is really hurting us badly right now. LGO!

I also worry about a game like this putting Malachi on NBA scouts' radar. He is playing great now and he's really putting it on the floor pretty well now.

Last edited:
i'll give the boys credit for keeping it close for 36 minutes. unfortunately my credit don't get you in the tourney.

Last edited:
No complaints at all about tonight. If not for a terrible night for G, who knows what could have happened. Roberson, Cooney, and Mal all played about as well as is possible and the whole team manned up on the boards big time. Being proud of your team in a loss to one of the top teams in the country is not a sign of weakness guys, it is a sign that you are a sentient being who is a fan of this program and these players.

I missed the game tonight. But seems like we played our A game and still couldn't pull it off. Frustrating.

I missed the game tonight. But seems like we played our A game and still couldn't pull it off. Frustrating.

Not quite the full A game.

Cooney and Malichi were terrific. Roberson played very well, and was a force inside that enabled us to hold our own against a much larger UNC frontcourt. And Coleman gave us solid contributions.

Lydon was OK. Gbinije had his worst game of the season, both as a scorer and as a facilitator. Neither Howard nor Joseph did anything noteworthy.

So it wasn't quite an A game. But there were some signs [specifically, how we outrebounded them for a significant portion of the game] that suggest that things might improve, and that this team could salvage what is shaping up as a lost season.

Not our A game, but very good. Too many turnovers and G was very off. Cooney was on fire and others played very well. Lydon was nearly invisible.

We need Lydon to shake his freshman slump. I was thinking that Moyer might steal minutes from Roberson next year. Now I'm thinking it might be Lydon.

Was at the game tonight. Man, was the dome rocking and the ovation for JB when he came out was tremendous.
However, I was watching G during warmups missing a bunch of 3's and I was hoping that wasn't going to happen in the game as well, but unfortunately it did.

We need Lydon to shake his freshman slump. I was thinking that Moyer might steal minutes from Roberson next year. Now I'm thinking it might be Lydon.

Lydon just seems to be playing with a lack of confidence right now.
Seems to hesitate to shoot and he used to be nearly automatic when he put up and open jumper.

cuseguy said:

Some will be disappointed but Lydon will be a super sub next year. Moyer will start.

rrlbees said:
Some will be disappointed but Lydon will be a super sub next year. Moyer will start.

We think alike.

cuseguy said:
We think alike.

Pikachu
Roberson
Moyer
Richardson
Battle

Howard subs for both guards
Lydon subs for the other 3

7 guys when it matters

Pikachu
Roberson
Moyer
Richardson
Battle

Howard subs for both guards
Lydon subs for the other 3

7 guys when it matters

That's assuming Richardson is back next year. He keeps playing like he has these past 3 games, he's probably gone

Lets not kid ourselves. If he continues to play like this, he gone.

85SUAlum said:
That's assuming Richardson is back next year. He keeps playing like he has these past 3 games, he's probably gone

If Malachi bolts, we're in a world of trouble.

I'd really like to see Mal back next year, but I'm expecting he won't be.
And the one (or 2) and dones have been hurting us the past few years, especially at PG.
Especially Tyler Ennis. He was a blessing as a freshman PG (again initially expected to play behind MCW), but was not supposed to be a one and done.
Really needed him to stick around for at least another year so Kaleb could get a year coming off the bench to develop (like MCW did). Being thrust into the starting PG position early seemed to really shake KJ's confidence and he just hasn't gotten it back. He seems like he's playing scared.
We've been really hurting at PG ever since Ennis left.

Alos wish McCullough had come back this year too (how's he doing in the NBA by the way? )
I can understand the kid's taking an opportunity at a pay day when they can (especially when you see what happened to a player like CJ when he decided to forgo the NBA to come back for his senior year and his stock dropped considerably).
But as a fan, would really like to see more of the recruits stick around longer and gel into a better team.

Lets not kid ourselves. If he continues to play like this, he gone.

With our luck he is going to play even better and bolt, and we will have nothing to show for it.

Mali will be back. I think because of Ennis/Grant/McCullough assume anyone whos on the fence will bolt, I don't think Mali is a 1st round pick yet but he will be next year if he stays.

We only had 2.5 guys do anything on offense last night vs a team that has an array of weapons. If you told me G would play like he did and we still be in it at the end I would have told you you're crazy, which makes it more frustrating because if he hit even a few shots we win. UNC can afford Paige having an off night, we can't afford it with G.

3rd time in 4 games we are praising effort after losses where they didn't even cover the spread let alone actually win. We have become Virginia tech for Christ sakes.

3rd time in 4 games we are praising effort after losses where they didn't even cover the spread let alone actually win. We have become Virginia tech for Christ sakes.

So your suggestion is what? Turn on the school you support or the players? Devolve into an immature ranting about how they aren't living up to your expectations or fulfilling your needs? There's plenty of that elsewhere. I support this program in good times and bad. You clearly don't. My advice would be keep your trap shut if that's your stance, but your ilk isn't known for prudence so have at it.

So your suggestion is what? Turn on the school you support or the players? Devolve into an immature ranting about how they aren't living up to your expectations or fulfilling your needs? There's plenty of that elsewhere. I support this program in good times and bad. You clearly don't. My advice would be keep your trap shut if that's your stance, but your ilk isn't known for prudence so have at it.

Super sensitive softy message board tough guy and policeman alert!

Who went on the immature rant here anyway? Get over yourself. My "suggestion" is that elite programs dont praise failure, and if you have accepted that this program is no longer elite then fine, but dont try to pretend that your a better fan than anyone else for doing so. I dont understand how such low expectations for a once proud program equal good fandom.

My god what a laughably hostile response to such a benign and for the most part tongue and cheek 2 sentences.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom