Good to see the Bills are in mid-season form | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Good to see the Bills are in mid-season form

Tyrod was the man tonight. Saw a toughness and fire from him I haven't seen since last season.

No moral victories in the NFL - just have to keep grinding. Schedule will lighten up.
Unfortunately we likely have to go 6-1 to make the playoffs.

Unfortunately we likely have to go 6-1 to make the playoffs.

Seems like another year without a playoff birth is all but locked in at this point. Impressed by Tyrod and Woods today though, man where has that been all year. Definitely some pieces there need to overhaul the D secondary and get Watkins on the actual field.

Seems like another year without a playoff birth is all but locked in at this point. Impressed by Tyrod and Woods today though, man where has that been all year. Definitely some pieces there need to overhaul the D secondary and get Watkins on the actual field.
Who is this Watkins fellow?

If, for one night, I feel like we can roll with Taylor, resign Woods and be good to go on offense next year with a healthy Watkins. Goodwin was impressive as well and he's actually staying healthy minus the concussion.

If that's the Taylor, Woods and Goodwin we have moving forward. Add Watkins and we're legit on offense with them complimenting our offensive line/run game.

Looks like another defense heavy draft with us likely spending a couple high draft picks on the secondary, especially if we let Gilmore walk (recommended).

Infuriating loss on many levels. Defense was an absolute sieve- I hate to say this but I truly think Gilmore is avoiding heavy contact because it is his contract year- how else can you explain that half-@ss attempt at tackling Graham? If they had any other option I would suggest cutting him...but you also want the compensatory pick if he leaves in free agency, which he should. Go heavy in the draft on defense.

-Four years ago when we drafted Woods I though he was the most draft ready wide receiver. Last night had to have been his best game as a Bill. Best blocker at that position in the NFL, and ran great routes. Impressed to see him develop. Still need another option but get Watkins back and we may be getting somewhere...

- So, the disaster before the half- Walt Coleman's crew should never call another game in the NFL. Period. But unfortunately it is a systemic problem that the NFL won't acknowledge... as JeremyCuse says above, it is just another way the Bills have found to lose.

-Lost in the refs screwing us at the half - time management was laughable. Bills are at midfield with 39 secs and one timeout. Instead of using that timeout immediately, they leisurely approach the line, snap, and Tyrod is forced to throw out of bounds under pressure. Now there are 20 secs left. I get wanting to save your timeout but that just blew half your time. Get up, call timeout, and set up a few plays...

I am 37 years old. Buffalo hasn't made the playoffs since I was in college, and it doesn't look right now like this is going to change., especially with Wood going out. These losses are just wearing...

Off to vote..

Infuriating loss on many levels. Defense was an absolute sieve- I hate to say this but I truly think Gilmore is avoiding heavy contact because it is his contract year- how else can you explain that half-@ss attempt at tackling Graham? If they had any other option I would suggest cutting him...but you also want the compensatory pick if he leaves in free agency, which he should. Go heavy in the draft on defense.

-Four years ago when we drafted Woods I though he was the most draft ready wide receiver. Last night had to have been his best game as a Bill. Best blocker at that position in the NFL, and ran great routes. Impressed to see him develop. Still need another option but get Watkins back and we may be getting somewhere...

- So, the disaster before the half- Walt Coleman's crew should never call another game in the NFL. Period. But unfortunately it is a systemic problem that the NFL won't acknowledge... as JeremyCuse says above, it is just another way the Bills have found to lose.

-Lost in the refs screwing us at the half - time management was laughable. Bills are at midfield with 39 secs and one timeout. Instead of using that timeout immediately, they leisurely approach the line, snap, and Tyrod is forced to throw out of bounds under pressure. Now there are 20 secs left. I get wanting to save your timeout but that just blew half your time. Get up, call timeout, and set up a few plays...

I am 37 years old. Buffalo hasn't made the playoffs since I was in college, and it doesn't look right now like this is going to change., especially with Wood going out. These losses are just wearing...

Off to vote..

It's draining. I am 26. I was born right in the middle of the superbowl run. Downhill since.

In and of itself, there were a lot of good things from that game and Seattle on Monday night with Wilson beginning to look healthy, arguably the toughest spot to play in the nfl. Never expected to win that game but they needed to be 5-4 at worst right now and with the secondary playing like it is, tough to imagine a playoff birth this year unless they can grab a couple wins that we don't expect. 6-1 down the stretch for this team is a about a 5% possibility given the schedule, the secondary, the Ryan bros and the injuries.

Other than that should be no problem. 2-1 against Bengals, Steelers, Raiders ( whose offense may score 60 on the Bills) run the table on Jets/Phins/ Jax/ Browns

I wanted Rex to work out and his odds of being the coach next year are the same as the odds of making the playoffs. Can't even imagine who will get the job... Anyone think that Jim Schwartz will get another look at HC? He's crazy enough to work in Buffalo and they have enough pieces on offense where they should be fine. The biggest disappointment with Rex had been the wild inconsistency on defense but now the defense is just consistently rather bad

Last edited:
In and of itself, there were a lot of good things from that game and Seattle on Monday night with Wilson beginning to look healthy, arguably the toughest spot to play in the nfl. Never expected to win that game but they needed to be 5-4 at worst right now and with the secondary playing like it is, tough to imagine a playoff birth this year unless they can grab a couple wins that we don't expect. 6-1 down the stretch for this team is a about a 5% possibility given the schedule, the secondary, the Ryan bros and the injuries.

Other than that should be no problem. 2-1 against Bengals, Steelers, Raiders ( whose offense may score 60 on the Bills) run the table on Jets/Phins/ Jax/ Browns

I wanted Rex to work out and his odds of being the coach next year are the same as the odds of making the playoffs. Can't even imagine who will get the job... Anyone think that Jim Schwartz will get another look at HC? He's crazy enough to work in Buffalo and they have enough pieces on offense where they should be fine. The biggest disappointment with Rex had been the wild inconsistency on defense but now the defense is just consistently rather bad
I really want continuity so I wouldn't hate giving Rex another year. I'm about ready to lose it with his secondary play and leaving db's on islands though.

If that's the Tyrod we can expect moving forward. We will make the playoffs next year barring insane injuries like we've had this year. Of course, we're the Bills so I'm sure we'll lose half the team to injury again.

I honestly thought we were the better team last night. The Seahawks won because they have the better coach. If we don't play island coverage, RW can't just throw jump balls all first half a la the Jets game.

I really want continuity so I wouldn't hate giving Rex another year. I'm about ready to lose it with his secondary play and leaving db's on islands though.

If that's the Tyrod we can expect moving forward. We will make the playoffs next year barring insane injuries like we've had this year. Of course, we're the Bills so I'm sure we'll lose half the team to injury again.

I honestly thought we were the better team last night. The Seahawks won because they have the better coach. If we don't play island coverage, RW can't just throw jump balls all first half a la the Jets game.

I'm not sure how much of this is planned versus the safeties Buffalo has just have no idea what they're doing. Safety should probably be the #1 priority in the draft this year. You just can't trust Williams to be healthy, and without him, that position is a dumpster fire.

Wow... I was sure that Boulware would hold the title of "Player I most want taken out with a cheap shot" for more than two days. Sherman really drove me nuts last night.

I'm not sure how much of this is planned versus the safeties Buffalo has just have no idea what they're doing. Safety should probably be the #1 priority in the draft this year. You just can't trust Williams to be healthy, and without him, that position is a dumpster fire.

This. We may look back at the loss of Williams as the point the season swung. Landry should have been suspended and heavily fined, but since the NFL is SO sincere about player safety...nada. Plus with the regression at corner...and you have what we have seen the last few weeks.

Definitely need a hard hitting safety in the draft, plus some free agency work. Blanton is an unmitigated disaster and Duke Williams can't see the field. Of course, ole Duke has missed more assignments in his tenure than I can possibly count, so that's not necessarily a bad thing. And to think, the Bills could have had Shamarko in his place...decisions like that plus countless others (Ron Brooks?) and the drought continues...

...and here I thought just the election would drive me to drink...

Agree about last night. I was real happy with how everyone played except the secondary. That's the frustrating part. Last season we went into the season thinking the defensive line was one of the best in the league and Mario flipped out on us and this year, I'm thinking we can at least depend on Gilmore and Darby and they stink. We fix one thing and then another thing breaks.

Agree about last night. I was real happy with how everyone played except the secondary. That's the frustrating part. Last season we went into the season thinking the defensive line was one of the best in the league and Mario flipped out on us and this year, I'm thinking we can at least depend on Gilmore and Darby and they stink. We fix one thing and then another thing breaks.
It's the curse of the Bills... This team needs an exorcism or an enema in the worst way. This going to be another wasted year because Tyrod is probably going to do enough to get an extension but he's not going to succeed in a modern NFL offense which means when Rex gets canned, probably next year at this point, the new coaching staff won't be able to work with Tyrod. My biggest concern is that Rex does enough to get another year which will be completely wasted. He has proven that his teams are going to be inconsistent week to week and very undisciplined... I also think that Rex has no idea how to stop a modern D as any time he faces a halfway decent QB his team is getting torched.

My hope for the offseason... fire Rex, get a really good coach (although I have no idea who that is any more) don't resign Tyrod, draft a QB.

Yeah my post praising the secondary looks foolish now. At the time, they had allowed the least number of TDs in the league but seems losing Aaron Williams has brought the wheels off completely.

I turned it off in the 2nd Qtr. Not a decision I regret. Kudos to WGR550 [which is not really a homer station] for even predicting everything. Hilariously predictable pro wrestling parallels with this joke show of a league.

Rex your time is up buddy. Gave ya a mulligan for last year with Mario quitting and all, but your defense can't suck 2yrs in a row when that's sort of your only thing.

I turned it off in the 2nd Qtr. Not a decision I regret. Kudos to WGR550 [which is not really a homer station] for even predicting everything. Hilariously predictable pro wrestling parallels with this joke show of a league.

Rex your time is up buddy. Gave ya a mulligan for last year with Mario quitting and all, but your defense can't suck 2yrs in a row when that's sort of your only thing.
Somebody posted that the Pegula's should hold NY hostage for a new stadium and we might be able to make the playoffs.

I tend to agree.

The NFL has some serious WWE parallels.

longislandcuse said:
Somebody posted that the Pegula's should hold NY hostage for a new stadium and we might be able to make the playoffs. I tend to agree. The NFL has some serious WWE parallels.

Be careful...I've been saying this for years and people have labeled me a "tin-foil hat pariah"

It's too obvious what's been going on...I am enjoying the greed-induced "collapse" of the NFL.

What will probably be most joyous for me, is that the owners will get squeezed three different ways:

1) It's obvious the league needs stars, but players are making OK enough coin to play for 6-8 years and decide enough's enough and retire earlier than stars of future generations (Tom Brady being the exception but they've created rules to make it illegal to hit him). So the owners will have to pay the stars MORE to keep them around.

2) The concussion health-related issues will create real need to increase roster sizes...absurd to keep 52 or whatever guys around when there's a player going down every play, very dangerous incentives to "get back in there"

3) Well-known that ratings are down, I project further erosion resulting in long-term Revenue declines.

Of course all of these are operating issues, neglecting the major, long-term Institutional issues that concussions and CTE will become...Billions of dollars I'd project, including to the victims of future crimes committed by CTE induced former players.

Bills win! Nice win on the road. Of course we lost McCoy and Woods removing our ability to enjoy anything.

That was the ugliest win I've seen in a while. Kudos to the second half defense. Also, KC and Baltimore losing gives me some false hope as we sit in the thick of the playoff race with (probably) the easiest schedule remaining.

Holy smokes what an ugly win...at least it sounded ugly as the game was blacked out in Syracuse. Couple observations based on radio:

1) Mark Kelso talks more as an analyst than I ever realized...Murph had to call the play over his thoughts a couple times. Great football mind but less is more, my friend.

2) This is totally based on sound, not sight...but to me I felt like the Bills threw too much. I don't like advocating for standard meathead football but Gilleslee was averaging something like six yards a pop., why not run him more? I really didn't understand the last play call either with 2:40 left- would rather run it on third down, confident you can get it...and if not you bleed the clock down to the 2 min warning.

3) We cannot keep leaving 10 points on the board because of our inability to score inside of the five yard line. That is a recipe for disaster...

Really gonna miss Woods if the knee is serious. Have to find a way to steal a win this week...much like we did today. Hopefully the Bills win at the Ralph and we get some breaks with the rest of the AFC...