Good to see the Bills are in mid-season form | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Good to see the Bills are in mid-season form

Holy smokes what an ugly win...at least it sounded ugly as the game was blacked out in Syracuse. Couple observations based on radio:

1) Mark Kelso talks more as an analyst than I ever realized...Murph had to call the play over his thoughts a couple times. Great football mind but less is more, my friend.

2) This is totally based on sound, not sight...but to me I felt like the Bills threw too much. I don't like advocating for standard meathead football but Gilleslee was averaging something like six yards a pop., why not run him more? I really didn't understand the last play call either with 2:40 left- would rather run it on third down, confident you can get it...and if not you bleed the clock down to the 2 min warning.

3) We cannot keep leaving 10 points on the board because of our inability to score inside of the five yard line. That is a recipe for disaster...

Really gonna miss Woods if the knee is serious. Have to find a way to steal a win this week...much like we did today. Hopefully the Bills win at the Ralph and we get some breaks with the rest of the AFC...
The passing game was brutal once Woods left. Taylor missed some reads/throws and other times the players just ran the route a tick off which messed up timing. (Including the Harvin throw which would have iced the game).

The hold call on Richie that wiped out a Taylor Rush TD was complete bs.

Painful game to watch. Sounds like McCoy is going to be OK not so sure about Woods. Really bummed if he's out because he looked like he was turning the corner. I thought a healthy Dareus made all the difference. He takes up so much space and completely stuffed their run game.

Painful game to watch. Sounds like McCoy is going to be OK not so sure about Woods. Really bummed if he's out because he looked like he was turning the corner. I thought a healthy Dareus made all the difference. He takes up so much space and completely stuffed their run game.
They said Woods injury isn't season ending, I think?.. Really going to need him or Watkins back for the Oakland game in 2 weeks. Hopefully we can get by the Jags with a skeleton crew offense if need be.

They said Woods injury isn't season ending, I think?.. Really going to need him or Watkins back for the Oakland game in 2 weeks. Hopefully we can get by the Jags with a skeleton crew offense if need be.

Going to need one of Watkins or Woods next week, without both we literally have no passing game. I think Woods is out for sure and Watkins has yet to practice so hopefully he laces them up Tuesday. McCoy seems to be in line to play for sure, might need to look at Bush more in the slot to try and get some passing game going. Harvin still shaking the rust off and Goodwin is pretty much useless at this point.

Going to need one of Watkins or Woods next week, without both we literally have no passing game. I think Woods is out for sure and Watkins has yet to practice so hopefully he laces them up Tuesday. McCoy seems to be in line to play for sure, might need to look at Bush more in the slot to try and get some passing game going. Harvin still shaking the rust off and Goodwin is pretty much useless at this point.

I thought Goodwin had a pretty good game against Seattle. Made a couple of huge third down catches late in the game, if I recall. But yeah, we need more than that if no Watkins or Woods.

Yah Harvin as the #1 is trouble. Thought the announcers were maybe trying too hard to make the point that he was lost though. Looked like an easy throw that was woefully off to seal the game at the end. Even as someone who generally loves throwing to clinch a game I have no idea why they put the ball in the air there in the first place against a struggling offense that was out of time outs with 2:40 left.
Speaking of the announcers did it ever occur to the pbp guy that maybe the Bills would've played defense a little differently up 2 or 3? Their obsession with the missed pat's was relentless. I mean a holding penalty that turns a TD into a FG is worth twice as much.

JeremyCuse said:
Wait till next year and just get tickets under a different name, a ban like that is pretty much impossible to enforce

Unless they have his mugshot at every entrance like ND does of Cuseregular.

As crazy as it sounds, I'm totally open to seeing what EJ can do. Tyrod Taylor has had guys open so far and he refuses to pull the trigger unless they are running 10 miles open.

Also, these refs need to be taken out back. Just an absolute suckfest from the zebras right now.

Last edited:
As crazy as it sounds, I'm totally open to seeing what EJ can do. Tyrod Taylor has had guys open so far and he refuses to pull the trigger unless they are running 10 miles open.

Also, these refs need to be taken out back. Just an absolute suckfest from the zebras right now.
I'll eat some crow. Taylor and Watkins did some things mid-way through the 3rd and Hunter had a beautiful TD catch.

I'll eat some crow. Taylor and Watkins did some things mid-way through the 3rd and Hunter had a beautiful TD catch.
But those refs sucked and probably finished off Jax on the last few minutez of the game.

Looks like Carr for the raiders just dislocated a finger on his throwing hand..

Looks like Carr for the raiders just dislocated a finger on his throwing hand..
th

Hunter's catch was A+. It was embarrassing watching a lumbering Bortles run for first down after first down but the secondary looked a little better, even with Darby out. A healthy McCoy, as usual, made all the difference. He's so much fun to watch and I'm glad he finally broke a long run for a TD.

Hunter's catch was A+. It was embarrassing watching a lumbering Bortles run for first down after first down but the secondary looked a little better, even with Darby out. A healthy McCoy, as usual, made all the difference. He's so much fun to watch and I'm glad he finally broke a long run for a TD.
Hunter can get up. Red zone throw it up to him. OTOH, has Charles Clay reported for duty yet?

A truly ugly game but with the only outcome that mattered. Observations:

1) What a difference having a healthy Sammy Watkins makes. It was perfectly obvious what the Jags were doing- load the box against Shady and have Tyrod beat them with his arm. That deep ball in the second half was HUGE- it really loosened things up, although admittedly the Shady TD run happened before that IIRC. With Sammy we have hope...

2) Losing Darby is crushing, and he has only been adequate this year. Talk about a revolving door in the secondary. I wasn't crazy about our chances this weekend before but now I am really concerned...unfortunately we just don't have any remaining cornerback or safety depth.

3) That 4th down hard count with EJ followed by a timeout & punt is one of the many reasons why I think Rex just doesn't get it. In a tight game those are GOLD- and to have your opponents bite they need to think there is a real chance that EJ is going to take the snap. I just don't understand the thinking or logic of that sequence...

4)...that said, the 4th down conversion with Jonathan Williams in the first half was a thing of beauty. LOVED rolling the dice there, especially after the big punt return and coupled with the fact that our offense was atrocious to that point. I remember Williams running wild at Arkansas his junior year and continue to feel that he can help this team, especially with Gilleslee out.

Next two weeks are critical...need to find a way to keep winning, even if they are ugly. Unfortunately I just don't know if 10-6 is good enough...at least we have the opportunity to deal important losses to wild card competitors like the Steelers & Dolphins @ home. But with how good the AFC West is this year, anything less than 11-5 is a huge gamble.

A truly ugly game but with the only outcome that mattered. Observations:

1) What a difference having a healthy Sammy Watkins makes. It was perfectly obvious what the Jags were doing- load the box against Shady and have Tyrod beat them with his arm. That deep ball in the second half was HUGE- it really loosened things up, although admittedly the Shady TD run happened before that IIRC. With Sammy we have hope...

2) Losing Darby is crushing, and he has only been adequate this year. Talk about a revolving door in the secondary. I wasn't crazy about our chances this weekend before but now I am really concerned...unfortunately we just don't have any remaining cornerback or safety depth.

3) That 4th down hard count with EJ followed by a timeout & punt is one of the many reasons why I think Rex just doesn't get it. In a tight game those are GOLD- and to have your opponents bite they need to think there is a real chance that EJ is going to take the snap. I just don't understand the thinking or logic of that sequence...

4)...that said, the 4th down conversion with Jonathan Williams in the first half was a thing of beauty. LOVED rolling the dice there, especially after the big punt return and coupled with the fact that our offense was atrocious to that point. I remember Williams running wild at Arkansas his junior year and continue to feel that he can help this team, especially with Gilleslee out.

Next two weeks are critical...need to find a way to keep winning, even if they are ugly. Unfortunately I just don't know if 10-6 is good enough...at least we have the opportunity to deal important losses to wild card competitors like the Steelers & Dolphins @ home. But with how good the AFC West is this year, anything less than 11-5 is a huge gamble.

Agree about #3. Was listening to the game as I drove back to OH from SYR. I would have just taken the 5 yd penalty. If they needed 3, I'd maybe think about it differently but since they needed a TD, that 5 yards isn't all that significant imo.

Cannot believe we blew that Miami game. That one will hurt.