Good to see the Bills are in mid-season form | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Good to see the Bills are in mid-season form

If Tom Coughlin isn't the Buffalo coach next year Pegula is a moron. Rex would be a good college coach because of his mouth.
However he is routine gets old when he doesn't win.

Agreed, would love to see TC for a couple years with a solid OC or DC to replace him when he's ready

Looking likes there's some mutual interest between TC and the Jags. It would be a bit of a homecoming for TC. And warm. ;)

Makes more sense than buffalo because the division is easier. Upstate NY is a homecoming as well

Looking likes there's some mutual interest between TC and the Jags. It would be a bit of a homecoming for TC. And warm. ;)
Buffalo roster is so much better than Jacksonville's roster.
If Coughlin wants to win he won't go to Jacksonville. Buffalo probably has more talent than New England outside of QB.

Buffalo roster is so much better than Jacksonville's roster.
If Coughlin wants to win he won't go to Jacksonville. Buffalo probably has more talent than New England outside of QB.

TC is still full of piss and vinegar, he would be great in buffalo

Rex with a bad defense is just a trainwreck and makes zero sense as to have..
him as a HC. Pagula's need to cut bait and I'm pretty sure they will relatively quickly.
Who will be the candidates?

Pretty much. If he can't get the defense to overachieve what's the point? He doesn't bring anything else to the table as a HC.
It's really hard to understand because his Jet defenses weren't loaded but were always good.

Pretty much. If he can't get the defense to overachieve what's the point? He doesn't bring anything else to the table as a HC.
It's really hard to understand because his Jet defenses weren't loaded but were always good.
His Jets Defenses were stacked.
Revis was an shutdown CB. HOFer
Shaun Ellis, Muhammad Wilkerson, Mike DeVito on the DL
David Harris, Bart Scott LBs
Antonio Cromardie, Jim Leonhard in DBs.
It was a stacked D.

Lol I knew someone was going to nitpick that point.
I didn't say their personnel sucked.
But their Football Outsider ranks were 1, 5, 2, 9, 12, 21.
You can list as many guys as you've heard of as you want. That is way above expectation for a unit that never had a stud pass-rusher. Wilkerson is 2nd best of those players by a mile and he wasn't there the first 2yrs.

My guess is Bills go 9-7 or 8-8 to finish the year and Rex gets one more year. Excuses are the offense improving and all of the injuries and suspensions. Then next year the bills go 8-8 again and THEN Rex gets fired. The worst part won't even be the wasted year... the worst part will be Tyrod getting a massive contract that kills the cap for 3/4 years. See you in the 20s.

My guess is Bills go 9-7 or 8-8 to finish the year and Rex gets one more year. Excuses are the offense improving and all of the injuries and suspensions. Then next year the bills go 8-8 again and THEN Rex gets fired. The worst part won't even be the wasted year... the worst part will be Tyrod getting a massive contract that kills the cap for 3/4 years. See you in the 20s.
Taylor's contract actually isn't that bad and I'm pretty sure the Bills can cut bait with him next year as well.

I'd imagine the cast comes back again for the reasons you cited although I'm thoroughly disgusted with whatever the f Rex did to this defense.

Taylor's contract actually isn't that bad and I'm pretty sure the Bills can cut bait with him next year as well.

I'd imagine the cast comes back again for the reasons you cited although I'm thoroughly disgusted with whatever the f Rex did to this defense.
Think he needs 9 to stay.

Think he needs 9 to stay.

Agreed. Its going to be tight but he does have 3 at home, so who knows. I would imagine by then the Jets will be playing one of their young QB's as well, which will make it easier

My understanding is that Tyrod is owed 27mm next year if they bring him back. The contract isn't terrible for a good starting NFL qb but the problem is that if the bills keep him they can't afford another starting qb contract without really hurting their ability to sign anyone else decent in other positions. Basically after this year they either have to go all in on Tyrod for the next 4 years or so or they let him walk. My fear is Ryan in a year where he HAS to win will go all in on Tyrod thus screwing the next coaching staff. If Ryan gets canned after this year there is no way that Tyrod doesn't get cut.

This article lays it out: Bills have unique flexibility with Tyrod Taylor's extension

29mm next year but 16mm is prorated over the next 4

yeah, looks like they will be fine. Reading that, if Rex goes he goes, I think it's pretty cut and dry. I do agree if Rex stays, Tyrod is likely to stay. My issue is that both he and Rex at there best, aren't great. I like a lot of Taylor's game but I think he has limited up side

Just another numbing, soul-crushing loss in a 16 year span of them. Now that I've cooled off from yesterday's fiasco, a few notes:

- The last time I was this despondent or angry after a football game was the SU/Pitt game of 2 years ago, where Pitt consumed the clock on a 9:45 drive to end it. The drive featured 87 plays with 53 third down conversions (note, actual records may contradict this but that's how it felt at the time). Leaving the Dome that day felt awful...and that's about how it felt last night.

-I've tried to defend Tyrod Taylor on this board and with my fellow Bills fans, but I am running out of ways to do it. Yes, he is throwing to a banged up Sammy Watkins along with other 5th & 6th options, but he folded like a cheap suit yesterday. Once Oakland made adjustments defensively in the second half, he was unable to do so. I noticed on the first ball that Watkins caught that when he made his break- the ball was RIGHT there. Exactly what you want! Later on, every pass was being 'looked' open instead of trusting the reads. Franchise QBs HAVE to rise above and make their teams better. He is not doing this.

- That said I don't think his contract is as onerous as others have said. Yes, $27MM is a huge amount- but $12 of that is a bonus and $16M is the base salary, which is well below what other top QBs are earning. I don't how the Bills move forward but this won't hamstring us financially. There is a lot of $ coming off the books the next few years...the bigger issue is that they would continue to be investing in something that may not yield the dividends you want. Tough decision to be made at OBD this spring.

- Rex should walk his @ss home from Oakland, along with every other member of the coaching staff. With the caveat that I am not an "X & O" genius, it feels like the Bills get away from what's working at times. Why you would run a Wildcat twice in a row is absolutely beyond me. Maybe that was their version of adjustments, I don't know. Bottom line, as we all have commiserated here- Ryan is a .500 coach. Yes the Bills have had injuries, but good teams rise above. I just don't see the Bills being a consistent 10-6, 11-5 team under Ryan.

- Better question would be what happens to Whaley if a change is made? He has done an exceptional job in free agency, especially with low cost free agents...but his draft record is hit and miss. I'm not optimistic that Cardale Jones is going to pan out either. My gut would be to keep him if Rex gets canned, but he should definitely be feeling some heat for the lack of a long-term solution at QB...

On to year 17 of the playoff drought...between this team and SU football, we all deserve medals. Or counseling.

Didn't get a chance to watch the game but followed it all... giving up 29 straight is disheartening to say the least. Can't say I am shocked. My friend said Taylor missed a bunch of open wideouts all game. He's a playmaker with his legs but you need your QB to hit the wideouts when they have space. He struggles with it.

Really tough loss. I was stoked to be up 24-9.

Just another numbing, soul-crushing loss in a 16 year span of them. Now that I've cooled off from yesterday's fiasco, a few notes:

- The last time I was this despondent or angry after a football game was the SU/Pitt game of 2 years ago, where Pitt consumed the clock on a 9:45 drive to end it. The drive featured 87 plays with 53 third down conversions (note, actual records may contradict this but that's how it felt at the time). Leaving the Dome that day felt awful...and that's about how it felt last night.

-I've tried to defend Tyrod Taylor on this board and with my fellow Bills fans, but I am running out of ways to do it. Yes, he is throwing to a banged up Sammy Watkins along with other 5th & 6th options, but he folded like a cheap suit yesterday. Once Oakland made adjustments defensively in the second half, he was unable to do so. I noticed on the first ball that Watkins caught that when he made his break- the ball was RIGHT there. Exactly what you want! Later on, every pass was being 'looked' open instead of trusting the reads. Franchise QBs HAVE to rise above and make their teams better. He is not doing this.

- That said I don't think his contract is as onerous as others have said. Yes, $27MM is a huge amount- but $12 of that is a bonus and $16M is the base salary, which is well below what other top QBs are earning. I don't how the Bills move forward but this won't hamstring us financially. There is a lot of $ coming off the books the next few years...the bigger issue is that they would continue to be investing in something that may not yield the dividends you want. Tough decision to be made at OBD this spring.

- Rex should walk his @ss home from Oakland, along with every other member of the coaching staff. With the caveat that I am not an "X & O" genius, it feels like the Bills get away from what's working at times. Why you would run a Wildcat twice in a row is absolutely beyond me. Maybe that was their version of adjustments, I don't know. Bottom line, as we all have commiserated here- Ryan is a .500 coach. Yes the Bills have had injuries, but good teams rise above. I just don't see the Bills being a consistent 10-6, 11-5 team under Ryan.

- Better question would be what happens to Whaley if a change is made? He has done an exceptional job in free agency, especially with low cost free agents...but his draft record is hit and miss. I'm not optimistic that Cardale Jones is going to pan out either. My gut would be to keep him if Rex gets canned, but he should definitely be feeling some heat for the lack of a long-term solution at QB...

On to year 17 of the playoff drought...between this team and SU football, we all deserve medals. Or counseling.
Great post.

I'm ok with bringing back Taylor for next year but we need to draft a QB to replace him.

We also need to revamp this joke of a secondary. Through FA and the draft, we need to bring in 2 starting caliber safeties and another cornerback. Offer Gilmore a modest contract and if he walks, whatever.

Also, bring in another WR. Woods is fine and if he wants to come back on a reasonable contract as the #3 WR, great. If not, again, whatever.

Another emotional roller coaster yesterday... At times I've talked myself into thinking that Tyrod is a good QB. Mostly due to the other dudes that we've seen in the spot over the last 10+ years but yesterday was incredibly frustrating. He missed some crucial, wide open throws. Again, McCoy looked like the best running back in football. Hated the trade for him at the time but he is such a joy to watch.

Maybe it's the chasm vs. Carr that was so striking. But it feels like to a lot of people [me included] that was the "oh crap our guy isn't good enough" game. Like JP @Pittsburgh, EJ vs San Diego. Since the usual OL/running game excuses are out, the apologists need to focus on the WR injuries. Meh, not many guys are surrounded by perfection across the board. Make a throw FFS.

Maybe it's the chasm vs. Carr that was so striking. But it feels like to a lot of people [me included] that was the "oh crap our guy isn't good enough" game. Like JP @Pittsburgh, EJ vs San Diego. Since the usual OL/running game excuses are out, the apologists need to focus on the WR injuries. Meh, not many guys are surrounded by perfection across the board. Make a throw FFS.
Agree and can narrow jumping the shark to one play. In the middle of the Oakland run, on third down he's rolling right on a broken play and has someone (a TE?) Wide Open 20 yards downfield. Guy has lots of room to run too. Nobody really breathing Tyrod's neck and he overthrows him by ten yards. I like the guy and all but he jumped the shark for me right there.

And this is what I struggle with- Carr is in year 4 (I think), is it reasonable to think that Tyrod, with 1-2 years of more seasoning, will get to this point? I honestly don't know...but I am highly skeptical. At some point you just have to make throws. TT is an elite athlete...but is he a QB?

Great post... agree with every point. I just don't know what to do at this point. Rex is what he is at this point. What sucks is our top 3 picks were D and if we keep Rex next year I'm sure the top 3 picks will be D again. Meanwhile our oline still has holes, our tight ends suck and we have two good receivers who can't stay healthy and our qb is a big question mark.

I actually like Lynn as OC... our passing game sucks but that's more on Tyrod than Lynn. The problem is I think next coach will be an offensive guy because you don't fire the Ryan brothers to hire another defensive coach. We have tried experienced coaches, up and comers and no names and all have failed boringly.

The problem with this incarnation of the Bills seems to be the defensive system doesn't work in the modern NFL unless you have darell revis. I think it's easier to swap the coach than the players but then what do you do with Ragland and Lawson who were specifically drafted for Rex's system?

The offense needs more receivers and a real qb. There is real talent here... don't need a rebuild, just a competent head coach with modern systems and common sense.

Great post.

I'm ok with bringing back Taylor for next year but we need to draft a QB to replace him.

We also need to revamp this joke of a secondary. Through FA and the draft, we need to bring in 2 starting caliber safeties and another cornerback. Offer Gilmore a modest contract and if he walks, whatever.

Also, bring in another WR. Woods is fine and if he wants to come back on a reasonable contract as the #3 WR, great. If not, again, whatever.
The secondary's biggest problem are Rex's three man rushes and the fact they we have a bunch of smurfs covering big receivers. Although we do need to replace Williams and upgrade Graham.