Good to see the Bills are in mid-season form | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Good to see the Bills are in mid-season form

Another hard to watch game. I kind of thought Tyrod was becoming a top half of the league QB after the Seahawks game but that turned out to wrong. I became a Bills fan in 2003 so this is 14 years without the playoffs for me. Sad.

Another hard to watch game. I kind of thought Tyrod was becoming a top half of the league QB after the Seahawks game but that turned out to wrong. I became a Bills fan in 2003 so this is 14 years without the playoffs for me. Sad.
He played his best game ever in Seattle and has been one of the worst QB's in the league since. Pittsburgh dared him to throw, stacking the box and blitzing and he just can't win a game with his arm. Not that our defense ever gave us much of a chance aside from the occasional turnover.

Just read that if Tyrod incurred a really significant injury (not sure how that is defined) during these last games, then he is due a massive amount of money. If true then we have seen the last of Tyrod. Rex may be gone tomorrow. Lynn may be interim and possibly permanent.

Just read that somewhere else too. In that case, absolutely bench him. Winning three more games to get to 9-7 does nothing buy cost you draft position...the hard part is what message does that send to the locker room?

Tim Graham has a scathing article in the Buffalo News today- I am on my phone so I can't link it but essentially stating that I'd you can Rex you need to totally clean house...including Whaley and Brandon.

Just read that somewhere else too. In that case, absolutely bench him. Winning three more games to get to 9-7 does nothing buy cost you draft position...the hard part is what message does that send to the locker room?

Tim Graham has a scathing article in the Buffalo News today- I am on my phone so I can't link it but essentially stating that I'd you can Rex you need to totally clean house...including Whaley and Brandon.
I'm not even watching the rest of these games unless Cardale Jones is QB. Totally done with Tyrod at this point. He's clearly not the guy but is good enough to beat the Browns, Jets and Tannehill-less Dolphins to get us to 9-7 and drop us 10 draft slots.

I'm not even watching the rest of these games unless Cardale Jones is QB. Totally done with Tyrod at this point. He's clearly not the guy but is good enough to beat the Browns, Jets and Tannehill-less Dolphins to get us to 9-7 and drop us 10 draft slots.

I pretty much feel the same way. But I sense this season will end in typical Bills fashion- not good enough for the playoffs but good enough to not get a draft slot worth a crap.

I've been a Bills fan since the mid 80s, basically right before Kelly came aboard, so at least I got to see some good years. I can't imagine not having seen them in the playoffs at all like you. My condolences

I wouldn't mind keeping Whaley but also wouldn't be up in arms if he's gone. Everyone else can't leave quick enough.

I've been a Bills fan since the mid 80s, basically right before Kelly came aboard, so at least I got to see some good years. I can't imagine not having seen them in the playoffs at all like you. My condolences

While I'm complaining about my football woes I'll add that I was on the hill for the GRob years and was not old enough to have any clear memories of the McNabb years. Oh well. I have gone to a number of Titans games but it can't compare to the electricity/excitement of going to Ralph Wilson/The Cap. There's just something about the Bills that keeps me coming back. One day we are all going to be rewarded and the fans, especially the ones that were around for the Kelly years, are going to have a life defining moment.

As another Bills season has basically come to a close I thought I'd add my two cents.

Going into the season I've never ever been less excited for a Bills season. Rex lost me last year when he took one of the top 5 defenses in the league and turned it into a complete mess and blamed the players while doing so. Then in the offseason Rex doubled down by bringing in his brother... What?

Anyways the results this season have been pretty conclusive... Rex Ryan's D does not work in today's NFL unless you have at least one HoF db who can take away half the field and you have some really good safeties. The Bills have neither of those and Rex has completely failed to adapt his D and as a result any halfway decent QB at the Fitz level or above has basically destroyed the Bills. I've actually liked a lot of what I've seen from Lynn and his offense but that's been counteracted by seeing Tyrod get exposed as a pretty mediocre QB at best. He can win games with his feet at times but definitely not with his arm and that doesn't play in the NFL.

You can probably guess what I'm going to say next but it's time for Tyrod and Rex to both go. I'm not normally a knee-jerk guy but I do think when you know you know and with these two dudes there are fundamental issues that neither time nor more games and reps are going to fix. To quote dennis green, "They are who we thought they were" and that ain't going to change.

Here's the good news, the cupboard is not bare for the next coaching staff. The DB's are going to be okay as long as they are not asked to play on an island... I think the Bills need to franchise Gilmore if they can just so they don't have to spend a draft pick on a DB this year. The safeties are a disaster and need major upgrades but again also would be helped if they didn't have to cover for 7/8 seconds. I think there is talent between the d-line and the LB's, although losing Kyle Williams to retirement is going to be a huge hit and I think they need another LB as depth. I think Ragland can play and I am anxious to see him next year. The Bills need to go back to a more traditional 4-3 defense that gets some pressure on the QB.

The offense is stacked at RB, the o-line seems okay but definitely could use more depth. For the 17th year running the Bills need to find their franchise QB and they need some receivers.

I don't know what to do in the offseason though... the Bills need some stability but they keep striking out on coaches. I'm kind of on board with the clean house from top to bottom side. Whaley hasn't done enough to warrant staying in my opinion.

As another Bills season has basically come to a close I thought I'd add my two cents.

Going into the season I've never ever been less excited for a Bills season. Rex lost me last year when he took one of the top 5 defenses in the league and turned it into a complete mess and blamed the players while doing so. Then in the offseason Rex doubled down by bringing in his brother... What?

Anyways the results this season have been pretty conclusive... Rex Ryan's D does not work in today's NFL unless you have at least one HoF db who can take away half the field and you have some really good safeties. The Bills have neither of those and Rex has completely failed to adapt his D and as a result any halfway decent QB at the Fitz level or above has basically destroyed the Bills. I've actually liked a lot of what I've seen from Lynn and his offense but that's been counteracted by seeing Tyrod get exposed as a pretty mediocre QB at best. He can win games with his feet at times but definitely not with his arm and that doesn't play in the NFL.

You can probably guess what I'm going to say next but it's time for Tyrod and Rex to both go. I'm not normally a knee-jerk guy but I do think when you know you know and with these two dudes there are fundamental issues that neither time nor more games and reps are going to fix. To quote dennis green, "They are who we thought they were" and that ain't going to change.

Here's the good news, the cupboard is not bare for the next coaching staff. The DB's are going to be okay as long as they are not asked to play on an island... I think the Bills need to franchise Gilmore if they can just so they don't have to spend a draft pick on a DB this year. The safeties are a disaster and need major upgrades but again also would be helped if they didn't have to cover for 7/8 seconds. I think there is talent between the d-line and the LB's, although losing Kyle Williams to retirement is going to be a huge hit and I think they need another LB as depth. I think Ragland can play and I am anxious to see him next year. The Bills need to go back to a more traditional 4-3 defense that gets some pressure on the QB.

The offense is stacked at RB, the o-line seems okay but definitely could use more depth. For the 17th year running the Bills need to find their franchise QB and they need some receivers.

I don't know what to do in the offseason though... the Bills need some stability but they keep striking out on coaches. I'm kind of on board with the clean house from top to bottom side. Whaley hasn't done enough to warrant staying in my opinion.

Excellent post. I agree with pretty much everything. Your first full paragraph sums up what I have thought all along. The defense was the thing we did well and yet we bring in a defensive coach who manages to screw that all up.

Also, on Kyle Williams, is he retiring for sure? If so, that guy needs to be up on the Wall of Fame. He brought everything he could every game for some bad teams and it's a shame he won't get to experience the playoffs.

All for the full sized house cleaning. I have no idea what the Pro-Whaley argument even is anymore other than "we have more guys people have heard of than 2006". Jerry Hughes is still his crown jewel. I know it's bad timing after they have up 800 rushing yards & Prescott played poorly last night and it's not his fault Ragland got hurt but still: Trading up 8 spots in the 2nd round to take a run-stuffing LB in 2016 and missing out on a qb you supposedly liked because of it, is almost hilarious. And that's a distant 2nd worst trade he's made. One of his "winning" moves is McCoy who I'll admit has been better than I thought but it's very likely they just wasted the best years he had left (which was predictable given the QB situation at the time) so who cares. Wood & Incognito aren't getting any younger either. Why on earth would Watkins want to be here in 2018? Not that I'm pro Rex, he can Adios too if he cares about winning these 3 less than meaningless games.

I don't really know how I feel about the team. Regarding a few of your points:

"Defense sucks if you don't have really good safeties". I'm not sure we can really say that for sure. The pass defense actually ranks among the best in the league this year despite the fact that the safeties have blown so many routine coverages. On a per attempt basis, the pass defense hasn't been nearly as good, but they still haven't been the issue. The issue is that they can't stop the run to save their lives. Kyle Williams, Dareus, Alexander, etc. have done a nice job of putting pressure on QBs, but this defense has been exposed in the run game.

You said "would be helped if they didn't have to cover for 7/8 seconds. I think there is talent between the d-line and the LB's". These two statements would appear to contradict each other. How can the line and linebackers be playing that well if they're forcing the defensive backs to cover for 7-8 seconds? In reality, the Bills have been one of the best in the league in terms of rushing the passer this year. The defensive backs haven't had a tall task at all. I believe Buffalo is in the top 5 in the league in sacks.

Offensively, the undeniable holes on the team are:
RT
RG
WR

Tyrod is an adequate starting QB, but he could be improved upon if you get lucky in the draft. There isn't really a better option out there in terms of the upcoming free agent class though and personally, I'd be shocked if Cardale ever amounts to anything. So you're basically stuck between letting Tyrod walk and praying you get lucky in the draft, or you keep Tyrod and see if you can win an extra game or 2 to get into the playoffs. I'll understand either way they go there; it's a tough call given the contract.

McCoy is obviously great when healthy, but he's going to wear down sooner rather than later. If the Bills decide they want to move on from Tyrod and Rex, I would hope they decide to switch gears offensively and attempt to build around a passing attack while trying to get McCoy out in space more.

Sammy's great when healthy. Woods is a nice #3 WR. Buffalo needs a healthy Sammy and a #2 WR; preferably a big bodied receiver that can give the QB (especially if it's Tyrod given his weakness here) a big target over the middle of the field.

I'd probably lean towards giving Rex another year with the defense. Having adequate safeties and linebackers can really change things quickly and I don't think Buffalo is adequate in either of those areas. Alexander's been a nice surprise, but he's just been okay after the crazy hot start. Hughes is good. The other linebackers have been pretty atrocious and the safeties are even worse.

"Defense sucks if you don't have really good safeties". I'm not sure we can really say that for sure. The pass defense actually ranks among the best in the league this year despite the fact that the safeties have blown so many routine coverages. On a per attempt basis, the pass defense hasn't been nearly as good, but they still haven't been the issue. The issue is that they can't stop the run to save their lives. Kyle Williams, Dareus, Alexander, etc. have done a nice job of putting pressure on QBs, but this defense has been exposed in the run game.

You said "would be helped if they didn't have to cover for 7/8 seconds. I think there is talent between the d-line and the LB's". These two statements would appear to contradict each other. How can the line and linebackers be playing that well if they're forcing the defensive backs to cover for 7-8 seconds? In reality, the Bills have been one of the best in the league in terms of rushing the passer this year. The defensive backs haven't had a tall task at all. I believe Buffalo is in the top 5 in the league in sacks.

RT
RG
WR

Tyrod is an adequate starting QB, but he could be improved upon if you get lucky in the draft. There isn't really a better option out there in terms of the upcoming free agent class though and personally, I'd be shocked if Cardale ever amounts to anything. So you're basically stuck between letting Tyrod walk and praying you get lucky in the draft, or you keep Tyrod and see if you can win an extra game or 2 to get into the playoffs. I'll understand either way they go there; it's a tough call given the contract.

McCoy is obviously great when healthy, but he's going to wear down sooner rather than later. If the Bills decide they want to move on from Tyrod and Rex, I would hope they decide to switch gears offensively and attempt to build around a passing attack while trying to get McCoy out in space more.

Sammy's great when healthy. Woods is a nice #3 WR. Buffalo needs a healthy Sammy and a #2 WR; preferably a big bodied receiver that can give the QB (especially if it's Tyrod given his weakness here) a big target over the middle of the field.

I'd probably lean towards giving Rex another year with the defense. Having adequate safeties and linebackers can really change things quickly and I don't think Buffalo is adequate in either of those areas. Alexander's been a nice surprise, but he's just been okay after the crazy hot start. Hughes is good. The other linebackers have been pretty atrocious and the safeties are even worse.

The biggest problem with the D is that it can't get off the field... and that blame lies directly with the Ryan bros. They refuse to come with any pressure on obvious passing downs and when you combine that with piss poor safeties the D gives up more than enough big plays to outweigh any good they do on other plays. I think there is talent on D but I don't think Rex uses it wisely... he has linemen consistently trying to cover slot guys and RBs out of the backfield, he doesn't pressure when it counts. I haven't seen enough of the Bills games this year to understand why the run D has been so bad... the games I've seen the they seem to be okay so I guess it's all or nothing. Regardless Rex's D doesn't work and if his D doesn't work there is no point in keeping him.

They can keep Tyrod or not but they need to find some realistic competition for him. Maybe going after Garropolo? McCoy is definitely on the downslope but I like what I saw from Gilslee and I think Williams could be good.

Alright I'll play the game , who would people like to see replace Rex.. i really can't name a guy that would be realistic.

This franchise is a fcuking disaster... The Billsiest thing that could and will happen is that Tyrod blows out his knee so his cap number hits the bills for the next three years... the bills go 9-7 which will screw their draft position... Pegula decides he can't fire Ryan after a winning season and we go through all this bullshite again next year.

I hate to be in a position to want my team to lose but I hope they get blown out the next three games. What a joke.

Alright I'll play the game , who would people like to see replace Rex.. i really can't name a guy that would be realistic.
This is the big problem... the Bills have tired every route possible with coaches in the last two decades and basically have failed at every one of them. The NFL these days is 30 teams with roughly equal talent except at QB and coaching. The teams with the good QBs are the ones that consistently do well every year. The problem with Ryan is that even if the Bills had a franchise QB his defense is truly horrible and he has demonstrated zero ability to adapt it to the modern NFL. I say go all in on Tom Coughlin and let him hire two up and coming coordinators for D and for O. That way the Bills get the benefit of a strong leader and innovation. Then the next step would be to trade the farm for Garropolo if the Pats were to consider that.

The Bills should interview Todd Monken. He turned Southern Miss around as HC and has helped Jameis develop a bunch this year in Tampa.

The Bills can't let Tyrod play. There shouldn't even be a discussion about it.

RT
RG
WR

What about declining Tyrod's option and trying to resign him at a much cheaper price? After the year he has had this year, there can't be many team out there looking to sign up at $15 million per. Probably not even at $10 million per. If you can get him on the cheap, I'd take him back, but still draft a QB high and hope it finally pans out.

What about declining Tyrod's option and trying to resign him at a much cheaper price? After the year he has had this year, there can't be many team out there looking to sign up at $15 million per. Probably not even at $10 million per. If you can get him on the cheap, I'd take him back, but still draft a QB high and hope it finally pans out.

Ryan Fitzpatrick got $12 million this year. CHASE DANIEL got over $7 mil. You really think nobody would be willing to pay Tyrod even $10 mil? There are so many teams out there that are desperate for a starting QB, in a year where there's basically no QBs worth drafting early, and outside of Cousins, Tyrod will be by far the best QB available. To put it in perspective, $15 million = #24 QB in the league in terms of salary (obviously ahead of all the rookie contract guys). $15 million = literally the lowest paid starting QB in the NFL outside of rookie contract guys and RG3. I'd be pretty shocked if a team isn't willing to give him $15 mil and could easily see him getting more than that.

Edit: Even if the Bills pick up Tyrod's seemingly massive option, his cap hit would still put him ahead of just two other non-rookie contract starters in the NFL.

Last edited:

If they do fire Rex, I think their top target will be Kyle Shanahan based on the fact that they were rumored to have a lot of interest in him back when they hired Rex.

Personally, I think they should give Rex another year and would probably lean towards keeping Tyrod too.

If they do fire Rex, I think their top target will be Kyle Shanahan based on the fact that they were rumored to have a lot of interest in him back when they hired Rex.

Personally, I think they should give Rex another year and would probably lean towards keeping Tyrod too.
No on Rex. Maybe promote Lynn. If keep Tyrod - need to go get a couple of tall physical receivers. If keep Tyrod - need to knock that contract down.

No on Rex. Maybe promote Lynn. If keep Tyrod - need to go get a couple of tall physical receivers. If keep Tyrod - need to knock that contract down.

I've been begging for them to acquire a good big bodied WR since before they drafted EJ. It would help any QB, but it could REALLY help a guy like Tyrod that has a hard time seeing over the line/trusting his WRs to win 50/50 balls. And yeah, I think it goes without saying that they'd see if they can restructure, but the deal really isn't that bad.