Good to see the Bills are in mid-season form | Page 32 | Syracusefan.com

Good to see the Bills are in mid-season form

While that article is from July of last year it makes it pretty clear (if I am reading this right) that the Bills wont save much $ by releasing him this year. McCoy was money last year, I would like to think Buffalo would at least keep him through this season and then re--evaluate. I have no idea what there gonna do with Tyrod but seems they are leaning toward letting him go. I think you can make a case for keeping or letting him go as there are pros and cons for each.

What's the difference between dead money and cap money?

Dead money counts towards the cap and you don't have the services of said player.

While that article is from July of last year it makes it pretty clear (if I am reading this right) that the Bills wont save much $ by releasing him this year. McCoy was money last year, I would like to think Buffalo would at least keep him through this season and then re--evaluate. I have no idea what there gonna do with Tyrod but seems they are leaning toward letting him go. I think you can make a case for keeping or letting him go as there are pros and cons for each.

The way I read it was that they would save $1 million this year and a total of $11,125,000 over the next three years. $7,875,000 in dead money this year and a total of $15,750,000 in dead money over the next three years. Good point in the article on production - if it's not there, then cutting him and taking the cap hit might be worth it. But after the season he had last year, to just bail on him would be ridiculous.

The way I read it was that they would save $1 million this year and a total of $11,125,000 over the next three years. $7,875,000 in dead money this year and a total of $15,750,000 in dead money over the next three years. Good point in the article on production - if it's not there, then cutting him and taking the cap hit might be worth it. But after the season he had last year, to just bail on him would be ridiculous.

Agree seems odd to cut him after the year he had. Also 15 Million is a ton of dead money. I know they would save several million as well but man that's a big hit.

Letting Tyrod and LeSean go has bascially concede next year as a rebuilding year.

The Bills want DeShaun Watson at 10. I wonder if they will go QB if he is gone before that.

I'm not sure I really buy this; he simply doesn't fit the mold of QBs that Whaley generally targets. If we go off the type of QB Whaley generally likes, I suspect Kizer or Mahomes are the apple of his eye.

With how good McCoy was last year, you only release him if you are about to undergo a full on rebuild- which includes dropping Tyrod as well as other key contributors. Personally I'd keep him- you want to build around elite assets, and while we overpay him relative to the position- McCoy is a game-changer.

I'm not sure what to do about Tyrod, but anyone watching the Dallas/Green Bay playoff game saw the difference between Prescott and TT- Dak was routinely throwing to the middle of the field. I'm not optimistic that Taylor can grow into that. Personally I would cut him, draft a QB and find out what you have in Cardale Jones- even if it's a bumpy year.

Somewhat related- Whaley has to do a much better job managing the cap space... a 7-9 team should not be bumping up against the cap every year, especially without a franchise quarterback salary on the books. With how thin we were at wide receiver last year, it was less than enjoyable watching Hogan run wild in a Patriots uniform...

Romo to the bills??

heard that mentioned around the watercooler...

Buffalo has 2 playoff teams in their division from last year, that is something to keep in mind. They have a new head coach (again) and a QB they don't want to pay. IF the plan is to draft a QB in Rd 1 and do a total rebuild then they MUST get rid of McCoy now. Build around the QB they draft and start over. I would have no problem with this move if Buffalo takes that approach.

Now if Buffalo does something stupid like cut Tyrod, go sign Jay Cutler, don't draft a QB till Rd 4 or 5 and then cut McCoy that makes no sense on any level. Either you are trying to compete in 2017 or you aren't. Don't go half-way

I think you all are crazy to rebuild with a new QB and a new RB..

Give it another year, minimum. Do all you can to keep Watkins healthy (this is more uncontrollable), get the draft picks from last year back on the defensive side of the ball, and find a legit 2nd wideout (Woods is solid but more of a 3).

The defensive scheme last year was far more the issue, imo, and I think our offense was above average, even with a QB who was hesitant to throw in certain places.

Keep Tyrod. Keep McCoy. Improve weaknesses. Miami and the Jets are not better than the Bills.

New England is going to be a beast again next year.
Buffalo should rebuild as with a new coach it gives him a chance to build his program. Taylor is not taking a discount from the Bills.
Getting rid of a guy a year early is better than a year late. McCoy isn't done if the Bills want to move on they should trade him.
Gilleslie ran well against NE the game McCoy missed.
Buffalo just needs to find a QB. Then build the OL and get better.
How they have been building there teams has been tailored on the DL to beat Brady.
Dallas and Oakland have found the templates.
Find a QB and then spend on the OL.
NE is going to win 12/13 games next year. They going to get a good asset for Garapolio on top of their own picks.
I don't see Buffalo close enough now. Rebuild and Brady should be done in 2-3 years.

I think you all are crazy to rebuild with a new QB and a new RB..

They are NEVER winning a championship with Tyrod and McCoy so might as well blow it up and do it right.

Miami and the Jets are not better than the Bills.
Miami beat you twice and once IN YOUR HOUSE with a back-up QB who hadn't played in 5 years and Jay Ajayi had TWO 200+ yard rushing games against you. Live in reality, Miami is better than you!

They are NEVER winning a championship with Tyrod and McCoy so might as well blow it up and do it right.

Miami beat you twice and once IN YOUR HOUSE with a back-up QB who hadn't played in 5 years and Jay Ajayi had TWO 200+ yard rushing games against you. Live in reality, Miami is better than you!

Except they aren't.

Except they aren't.
Scoreboard says otherwise. #ResultsMatter

I mean you can argue a nickle is worth more than a dime, but you would be wrong. That's like trying to win this argument stating Buffalo is better than Miami. I don't have a dog in the fight but they played more than once and we have results to go off of.

Dan Carpenter is no longer - thank goodness- and neither is Nickell Robey-Coleman. That one surprises me. I thought he was pretty solid but didn't see nearly as many games as others.

The Bills getting rid of Tyrod Taylor is just insane to me. They are basically tanking this year to get a QB next year or they are insane.
Taylor will get paid from the Browns or somebody else.

The Bills getting rid of Tyrod Taylor is just insane to me. They are basically tanking this year to get a QB next year or they are insane.
Taylor will get paid from the Browns or somebody else.
Well if they keep him they need to go early and big at WR position. Draft is real deep in the DB so grab that later.

This is going to be Chris Hogan part 2.
Bills gave mike gillislee a 5th round tender.
Bills are going to either pay the guy a lot more or he gone for a late round pick.

Seems to be some whispers that the Bills have decided to keep Tyrod after all.

Now they got competition to keep him. He is on the open market and there are a lot of QB needy teams out there.

Now they got competition to keep him. He is on the open market and there are a lot of QB needy teams out there.
I thought Taylor was still under contract through the end of the week and it's up to Bills whether or not to excercise the option for 2017? Technically he isn't a free agent no?

I still think they would be crazy to let him go with no real viable option to replace, who could they get that would be better next year?

I thought Taylor was still under contract through the end of the week and it's up to Bills whether or not to excercise the option for 2017? Technically he isn't a free agent no?

I still think they would be crazy to let him go with no real viable option to replace, who could they get that would be better next year?
If they keep him will they need a 3rd QB to go with Cardale?

Tyrod isn't a free agent. The Bills have a few days to decide whether or not to pick up his option still.

I hope the Bills keep Taylor. It gives the Patriots leverage with the Browns for Jimmy G. Belichick wants more than the 12th pick for Garapolio. He is better than the college QBs in this draft and if Cleveland can't sign Taylor for free it gives Belichick leverage.
Jimmy G to Cleveland for 12th pick and conditional 2018 pick.