Goodman, "Cuse could be in trouble" | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Goodman, "Cuse could be in trouble"

Goodman's a wannabe hack. He was on TV spouting his mouth off about NIT - 3 games into the season.

Does anyone really have any idea what the future of this team is? Why can't McCullough turn into a go-to guy? Why can't he and Christmas be a force down low all year? Why can't Joseph get better? Why can't this team gel after 15 games and play better?

There's plenty of talent on this team. There will be ups and downs, but I am not worried.

I'm sure he probably wrote something like this after we lost to Memphis in Carmelo's only season ... how did that work out?
We really need to stop comparing this season's team to the 02-03 team. Even in that loss, it was pretty apparent we had some pretty special players. This year's team has potential, sure, but it's nowhere near that one.

So you want only favorable comments about SU to be made by the media? Very silly.

Just want to point out that Flacusian quoted my post. I think he has changed his tone a bit or at least understands the counter point which is admirable.

We really need to stop comparing this season's team to the 02-03 team. Even in that loss, it was pretty apparent we had some pretty special players. This year's team has potential, sure, but it's nowhere near that one.

I'm not comparing the teams my point is its a long season and people need to stop jumping to f**&* conclusions on how this will play out ... I still remember the nuclear blast that was the LeMoyne loss too ... people need to get a friggin grip.

The fans of 95% of the D1 basketball programs out there would love to be rooting for a team that sucks as much as JB's current one.

fans of other teams are irrelevant. We are SU fans, and in relation to the past decade of teams, this one sucks. NIT talk is absolutely warranted. We are probably a coin flip to make the Big Dance. Unless we go beat Michigan or Nova, we will be rolling in to the hardest conference in America with 0 resume building wins.

fans of other teams are irrelevant. We are SU fans, and in relation to the past decade of teams, this one sucks. NIT talk is absolutely warranted. We are probably a coin flip to make the Big Dance. Unless we go beat Michigan or Nova, we will be rolling in to the hardest conference in America with 0 resume building wins.
The fact is, no one, not even you, knows this team's ultimate fate right now. The talent and athleticism necessary for a deep NCAAT run is certainly there, if not the experience at this point. Anyone who has followed college basketball closely for more than five minutes understands that teams can change a lot from November to March. Stop pretending that JB is sending out a bunch of walk-ons every night and enjoy the ride.

I'm not comparing the teams my point is its a long season and people need to stop jumping to f**&* conclusions on how this will play out ... I still remember the nuclear blast that was the LeMoyne loss too ... people need to get a friggin grip.

seem like u are the one who is overly emotional on this topic. Saying we are a bubble team is not saying we are horrible or that we are a joke. Its just a fact. This team has all the feel of a bubble team. No perimeter shooting, a very young PG who is overwhelmed, and of course the biggest reason... WE LOST OUR 3 BEST PLAYERS. this is not rip on anyone, its just a fact. If we are NOT a bubble team, then Jimmy deserves COY votes.

seem like u are the one who is overly emotional on this topic. Saying we are a bubble team is not saying we are horrible or that we are a joke. Its just a fact. This team has all the feel of a bubble team. No perimeter shooting, a very young PG who is overwhelmed, and of course the biggest reason... WE LOST OUR 3 BEST PLAYERS. this is not rip on anyone, its just a fact. If we are NOT a bubble team, then Jimmy deserves COY votes.

Those aren't "facts," those are opinions.

For the record, I'm not saying you're opinion is wrong.

Those aren't "facts," those are opinions.

For the record, I'm not saying you're opinion is wrong.

stats would show these are not opinions. and it is also not my opinion that we lost our 3 best players. i hope u are kidding?

PS - i know the point u are making, just not agreeing with u. ;)

This team has PENDULOUS potential...

They have the talent to go deep into the Big Dance with some luck,

OR

They have the youth to go out in the first round of the NIT...

OR

The end result, will prob be somewhere in the middle.

I'm not emotional at all ... I am patient enough to not pass judgement on a team or as you do a player before the season is half over ... pretty simplistic conceptually. I don't like having words put in my mouth I did not say anything about this team being anything like the 02-03 team at all .. only that I know that after the Memphis loss or more recently the LeMoyne loss media and fan reaction goes over the top ... I have no issue with saying one thing or another but like I said many are not smart enough to reserve judgement until they have a select sample size ... which was the entire point I was making ...

OR

Yeah, agreed. Goodman is a douche but he is known for these type of reactionary articles. Frankly, nothing really surprises me. In this day of age where marquee freshmen and young teams are everywhere I was sort of shocked how ill prepared and poor the play was. Mostly on the offensive side of the ball. There were some positive signs in Iowa but still lots of struggles and the poor handling of Iowa's trap was alarming. Correctable I would think. McCullough did say after the Cal game that Joseph never played in any big tournaments so perhaps the stage was too big for him as others have hypothesized. Baby steps I suppose.

I take whatever the "experts" say with a grain of salt, the same way i take some of our "expert" posters opinion. I prefer to listen to JB when talking about the team because he usually has the most accurate view of the program. He's said we aren't where we need to be, but thinks we have the talent to get where we need to be. For that reason alone I am optimistic about the season.

Yeah, agreed. Goodman is a douche but he is known for these type of reactionary articles. Frankly, nothing really surprises me. In this day of age where marquee freshmen and young teams are everywhere I was sort of shocked how ill prepared and poor the play was. Mostly on the offensive side of the ball. There were some positive signs in Iowa but still lots of struggles and the poor handling of Iowa's trap was alarming. Correctable I would think. McCullough did say after the Cal game that Joseph never played in any big tournaments so perhaps the stage was too big for him as others have hypothesized. Baby steps I suppose.

The good news is that the Cal game was pretty much the bottom IMO. The team will gain experience and be better prepared as we move forward. My two biggest takeaways were that we were less prepared to play a big game than any SU team I can remember in recent History and that we bounced back pretty well all things considered and didn't fold down the stretch to Iowa after giving up the big lead. One game at a time until we see improvements and they turn into consistently better play.

Iowa is NO WAY helps our resume. Nor will St Johns. Nor will the 7 cupcakes we still play. SO sorry, but this is accurate.

Yes it does, and yes it will. Iowa will end up being a top 50 RPI team. Kenpom has them at 29th. St. Johns will definately be top 100 and probably top 50 RPI as well. They are currently 47 in Kenpom. They have the same team as last year with more expierience. Top 50 and top 100 wins are what get you in the tournament.

Also, Louisiana Tech and Holy Cross aren't exactly the blind, deaf, and dumb. Lousiana Tech should finish in the top 100, and Holy Cross should be borderline. These team's all bring back significant talent and expierience. Also, I don't care if St John's beats the blind, deaf, and dumb by 1 pt because as we saw last year, any school can get in a close game with a significantly less talented opponent.

Long story short, theres other good teams on our non-conference schedule besides Michigan and Villanova.

Yes it does, and yes it will. Iowa will end up being a top 50 RPI team. Kenpom has them at 29th. St. Johns will definately be top 100 and probably top 50 RPI as well. They are currently 47 in Kenpom. They have the same team as last year with more expierience. Top 50 and top 100 wins are what get you in the tournament.

Also, Louisiana Tech and Holy Cross aren't exactly the blind, deaf, and dumb. Lousiana Tech should finish in the top 100, and Holy Cross should be borderline. These team's all bring back significant talent and expierience. Also, I don't care if St John's beats the blind, deaf, and dumb by 1 pt because as we saw last year, any school can get in a close game with a significantly less talented opponent.

Long story short, theres other good teams on our non-conference schedule besides Michigan and Villanova.

They are ok. decent, NIT teams. i am baffled, even for this site, that many people are flat out refusing to see that we are probably a bubble team this year. its ok to admit we are weaker than normal. If Ennis had stayed, we are a top 15 team again. but he didnt.

They are ok. decent, NIT teams. i am baffled, even for this site, that many people are flat out refusing to see that we are probably a bubble team this year. its ok to admit we are weaker than normal. If Ennis had stayed, we are a top 15 team again. but he didnt.

Refusing to admit something that you yourself relate to as "probably" and is far from clear one way or the other only 4 games into the season with a pretty young inexperienced team seems prudent to me. ;)

I don't know about you, but unlike writers I don't jump to conclusions after 4 games. Jim Boeheim thinks this team has potential, he even said so Friday in his press conference.

Heck Tom Brady's career was over after week 4 in the NFL this year, and now he might be the MVP of the League after week 12. (just to make a point)

A lot of the basketball teams problems are self-inflicted. Our main issue is we are a terrible passing team. Yes I know we are shooting poorly, but I think a lot of it is passing related. Very rarely are our guys receiving passes where it is easy for them to score. The more we play together the better our passing should get, the same can be said for the zone.