Great Win | Syracusefan.com

Great Win

anomander

Living Legend
No matter what you want to say about how it looks, going on the road and getting a win is never easy.

Defense played great.

Nice to see Bullough simplified things.

Spruill is having one hell of a season. Same goes for Bromley, those 2 are carrying us.

Kirkland stepped in for Davis and played great. Kids a player.

Eskridge had a great bounce back game. He showed why he is starting. Excellent against the run.

Smith and PTG can carry us if we let them.

O-line did a good job in pass pro once again. Hunt had some miscues, and the receivers didn't help much. Need to work on that.

Kicking game is a bit suspect, even though Norton did drill a long one that was negated due to stupidity.

Major thing we need to work on right now is mental mistakes - burning timeouts, false starts, defensive offsides, etc

I think we definitely caught a break being able to catch them before Mitchell came back, but regardless a win is a win, and being able to pick one up on the road is all that matters.

Congrats to Shafer on Syracuse's first ever ACC VICTORY!!!!

Expect 10 in the box for both defenses.we need to stop asking hunt to makes passes that his arm won't let him do.

No matter Davis' status, I'd expect to see a lot of Kirkland next week to defend the run.

it would be nice if Hunt would make one of those deep throws.. probably missed 3. it helps ncst missed several as well

A win, is a win, is a win.

Lots of frustration watching the offense but our D played its best game of the season, and our RBs are not to be trifled with.

Looking at the schedule, we have 5 games I think we should at least have a chance to win (FSU is not going to happen). Win 3 of those 5 and we're bowling, and that's not a bad start to the Shafer era, considering all of the turnover at major spots from last year, including on the staff.

Expect 10 in the box for both defenses.we need to stop asking hunt to makes passes that his arm won't let him do.

I've noticed we rarely work the middle of the field. the few times we do it's usually something positive. Hunt missed some opportunities for some big plays, but he also isn't getting much help from his WR's creating separation. At least now that we have established a run game it will give him some more opportunities in 1 and 1 to make some plays. Everyone still has to realize this is still just his 4th game, and 2nd against good competition, there are going to be some bumps. He has shown he can be effective creating plays with his feet, and that has helped to open up the run game. You can't underestimate the ability of a dual threat qb and how that impacts the rest of your offense. Even him being a threat to run creates opportunities for others. In the passing game it still looks like the game is going a little fast for him. He seems to lock in on his 1st option a lot. Those types of things will get better as he gets more experience (hopefully). Until then, his feet are going to have to help us get some wins. I'd rather have him getting game experience as a sophmore then anyone else.

Is that because we've turned the corner??? :rolleyes:
We're going to have to wait for Go to weigh in on that one. He's the Arbiter of Proclaiming When The Corner Has Been Turned.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

We're going to have to wait for Go to weigh in on that one. He's the Arbiter of Proclaiming When The Corner Has Been Turned.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
It's proper you gave him that nickname

Huge win, this feels a lot like the 2010 team.

I'm sure getting punched in the mouth doesn't sit well with all the NC State twangers.

I've noticed we rarely work the middle of the field. the few times we do it's usually something positive. Hunt missed some opportunities for some big plays, but he also isn't getting much help from his WR's creating separation. At least now that we have established a run game it will give him some more opportunities in 1 and 1 to make some plays. Everyone still has to realize this is still just his 4th game, and 2nd against good competition, there are going to be some bumps. He has shown he can be effective creating plays with his feet, and that has helped to open up the run game. You can't underestimate the ability of a dual threat qb and how that impacts the rest of your offense. Even him being a threat to run creates opportunities for others. In the passing game it still looks like the game is going a little fast for him. He seems to lock in on his 1st option a lot. Those types of things will get better as he gets more experience (hopefully). Until then, his feet are going to have to help us get some wins. I'd rather have him getting game experience as a sophmore then anyone else.

Need to use Wales in the middle of the field on pop passes. One ball to Clark was close going deep. Utilize PTG and Rome more. On the field at the same time is my dream. Hunt will get there. Give him time. Still a redshirt sophomore.

No matter what you want to say about how it looks, going on the road and getting a win is never easy.

Defense played great.

Nice to see Bullough simplified things.

Spruill is having one hell of a season. Same goes for Bromley, those 2 are carrying us.

Kirkland stepped in for Davis and played great. Kids a player.

Eskridge had a great bounce back game. He showed why he is starting. Excellent against the run.

Smith and PTG can carry us if we let them.

O-line did a good job in pass pro once again. Hunt had some miscues, and the receivers didn't help much. Need to work on that.

Kicking game is a bit suspect, even though Norton did drill a long one that was negated due to stupidity.

Major thing we need to work on right now is mental mistakes - burning timeouts, false starts, defensive offsides, etc

I think we definitely caught a break being able to catch them before Mitchell came back, but regardless a win is a win, and being able to pick one up on the road is all that matters.

Congrats to Shafer on Syracuse's first ever ACC VICTORY!!!!

One more thing to add - Syracuse University has finally beaten NC State and now has 702 all time wins! Great win indeed!

How come 2 weeks in a row Ashton can go deep, and catch the ball, Hunt can get it to him ok, maybe our other receivers need to talk to Ashton.

great win today something to build on after last weeks disappointing 1st half. Wasn't pretty but any win on the road is a good win.Its clear that our running backs are our strength coaches need to feature them in pass and run situations. Defense was much sounder this week all be against worst talent but still.

Need to use Wales in the middle of the field on pop passes. One ball to Clark was close going deep. Utilize PTG and Rome more. On the field at the same time is my dream. Hunt will get there. Give him time. Still a redshirt sophomore.

The one time they did go to Wales over the middle it was a nice first down. Would definitely love to see him being used more over the middle

How come 2 weeks in a row Ashton can go deep, and catch the ball, Hunt can get it to him ok, maybe our other receivers need to talk to Ashton.

our other receivers aren't playmakers like ashton is

I was a bit disappointed in Hunts passing performance. He did have some guys getting separation today that he either didn't see or was hesitant to throw to. Clark did a good job getting open over the middle on three specific plays I noticed 15+ yards down the field but for what ever reason Hunt didn't get him the ball. I think Hunt is definitely still out there learning and getting comfortable at this level of competition and will be very good for us. What he brings to the offense with his feet makes up for his lack of throwing experience at this point. He is a leader on the field and the offense responds to him. That is a clear observation.

Lynch, 14 tackles
Eskridge, 13 tackles
These guys are flying monsters. Whatever lack of speed we don't have to compete against the Clemson's of the football world, don't include these two. They were everywhere today.

I don't know what it was but the defense seems more solid when Kirkland is in there compared to DD. Just a feeling I had I don't have any stats to back it up just seemed that way

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom