Greetings 'Cuse fans! | Syracusefan.com

Greetings 'Cuse fans!

Any word on your QB situation?
Dabo said today he thinks Bryant will play but it's still day to day. If he can't go, I'm hoping Johnson gets the start. That would mean a completely different offensive game plan but he was poised and comfortable in his one series Saturday. His release time is amazing. He had the ball in his receiver's hands in the time it takes KB to look off his first option.

It's your Clemson buddy, TigerSmith, back to talk football once again.

Friday night game - wish I could be there but I'll be attending a retirement dinner in Indianapolis. I won't even see the game live.

So what do you guys think?
So you just had to ask me what I think.

Will it be Dabo's retirement after we beat him. How nice of you to set everything up in advance... A true fan

Dabo said today he thinks Bryant will play but it's still day to day. If he can't go, I'm hoping Johnson gets the start. That would mean a completely different offensive game plan but he was poised and comfortable in his one series Saturday. His release time is amazing. He had the ball in his receiver's hands in the time it takes KB to look off his first option.

How much of a running threat are your backups?

How much of a running threat are your backups?
They are not running threats the way KB is a running threat but they can both run. I would give Johnson the mobility edge over Cooper.

I think Clemson fans should be confident. Better talent, coached with consistency, good stable program - just coming off of a NC. Congrats, BTW - truly.

Babers can coach and we like where we are headed. We have a good QB and our D is a lot better (from horrible to respectable). The way I see the game play out and have Syracuse close to an upset is this:

- Clemson can’t hit on explosive plays and needs long drives to score (your O is high effeciency, but not as explosive as seasons past).

- Our D is pretty good on 3rd down (25%). We get some punts when you’re expecting to score. Your QB can go, but lacks the mobility that makes him special. Maybe a TO or two.

- the score is weird at the half, like 10-3 or something. Everyone thinks it’s likely that you’ll pour it on in the 3rd, but we even it up early on some fluke play. Crowd starts to get into it.

- if it’s the 4th and we’re down 7-10, I wouldn't be surprised to see Dungey, Ishmael, and Phillips really get hot. The D is half-surprised and half-gassed. Late kick seals an upset we haven’t seen since #1 Nebraska.

So that’s the 1 of like 2 ways I see us winning. Your path to victory has like 15-20 other much easier branches - including total annihilation.

Much respect, Little hope - but hope.

I think Clemson fans should be confident. Better talent, coached with consistency, good stable program - just coming off of a NC. Congrats, BTW - truly.

Babers can coach and we like where we are headed. We have a good QB and our D is a lot better (from horrible to respectable). The way I see the game play out and have Syracuse close to an upset is this:

- Clemson can’t hit on explosive plays and needs long drives to score (your O is high effeciency, but not as explosive as seasons past).

- Our D is pretty good on 3rd down (25%). We get some punts when you’re expecting to score. Your QB can go, but lacks the mobility that makes him special. Maybe a TO or two.

- the score is weird at the half, like 10-3 or something. Everyone thinks it’s likely that you’ll pour it on in the 3rd, but we even it up early on some fluke play. Crowd starts to get into it.

- if it’s the 4th and we’re down 7-10, I wouldn't be surprised to see Dungey, Ishmael, and Phillips really get hot. The D is half-surprised and half-gassed. Late kick seals an upset we haven’t seen since #1 Nebraska.

So that’s the 1 of like 2 ways I see us winning. Your path to victory has like 15-20 other much easier branches - including total annihilation.

Much respect, Little hope - but hope.
Thanks for the kind words. I think you are correct about Babers. He's already bringing in some good talent and he has the staff to develop it. The next step is getting talent and depth. We are very fortunate to be where we are today in that respect.

Your upset assessment is also certainly reasonable. As for Clemson, we lost a sizable number of the most talented players we have ever had last season. Having said that, I believe we have a better team than we were last year through the first six games. By that I mean that the sum of all 22 players is slightly greater than it was in 2016. If we continue to improve we have a good chance of making it back to the playoffs.

I watched your game with Pitt before I came here tonight. Your assessment of our offense is probably accurate. You will get your share of third down stops and, if we keep up our recent tendencies, a couple of turnovers.

Our defense should be the difference maker. Of your opponents so far, I'm guessing NC State is the best defense you've faced with Bradley Chubb being a one man wrecking crew for them. I'm biased but I believe our whole front seven is as good as Chubb.

I honestly expect a 14-17 point Clemson win. Dabo will rotate personnel liberally on both sides of the ball from the start of the game. By late in the third quarter, the fact that most of our guys have played 20-25 minutes each and most of your guys have played 35-40 should break open a close game and allow us go up by a couple of scores.

This is fun but let's play the game and see how it turns out in real time.

Thanks for the kind words. I think you are correct about Babers. He's already bringing in some good talent and he has the staff to develop it. The next step is getting talent and depth. We are very fortunate to be where we are today in that respect.

Your upset assessment is also certainly reasonable. As for Clemson, we lost a sizable number of the most talented players we have ever had last season. Having said that, I believe we have a better team than we were last year through the first six games. By that I mean that the sum of all 22 players is slightly greater than it was in 2016. If we continue to improve we have a good chance of making it back to the playoffs.

I watched your game with Pitt before I came here tonight. Your assessment of our offense is probably accurate. You will get your share of third down stops and, if we keep up our recent tendencies, a couple of turnovers.

Our defense should be the difference maker. Of your opponents so far, I'm guessing NC State is the best defense you've faced with Bradley Chubb being a one man wrecking crew for them. I'm biased but I believe our whole front seven is as good as Chubb.

I honestly expect a 14-17 point Clemson win. Dabo will rotate personnel liberally on both sides of the ball from the start of the game. By late in the third quarter, the fact that most of our guys have played 20-25 minutes each and most of your guys have played 35-40 should break open a close game and allow us go up by a couple of scores.

What are your thoughts on Trevor Lawrence? I live in GA, have seen him a couple times, and the arm is unreal.

Like I said the advantages are so heavy towards Clemson, you’ll probably be right almost by default. It’s much harder to see a win from where we stand.

But that is why you play the game.

The only other thing I missed first go around is that Dungey is magic sometimes. Not L. Jackson, for sure - but he’s better than Hinton, Josh Jackson at VaTech, and Brown at BC.

Our offense will limit subbing to keep your same guys (your defense) on the field and attempt to wear them down. Granted they can be subbed from series to series but subbing during the drive will be much more difficult than typical games. You guys didn't really get to see our offense last year first hand with Dungey going down early and us being rattled due to big deficit. Hopefully this year we can avoid those things.

I'm not sure how Dabo is going to substitute so freely on defense with our hurry up offense.

Will just run different groups in on different series if you truly don't sub at all (which lets us do it). Even in 1st quarter, you'd see 1st team DL & LB, and 2nd team DBs... then 2nd team DT and safety with other 1st team guys. He's completely committed to doing that. Think we had 8 guys catch a pass in 1st half, and like 12 or so in game.

Some of our fans bitch we don't run it up... and while I don't see a reason to run it up per se... honestly worried we may let a game go we 'shouldn't'. That said - it's working, so hey - go with it.

What are your thoughts on Trevor Lawrence? I live in GA, have seen him a couple times, and the arm is unreal.
I watched him play in the nationally televised game at the first of the season. Dayum!!! His accuracy and arm strength were unbelievable. Can't wait to get him on campus. I don't see how the current QB corp is going to keep him off the field next year. We may see a position change or a transfer.

I watched him play in the nationally televised game at the first of the season. Dayum!!! His accuracy and arm strength were unbelievable. Can't wait to get him on campus. I don't see how the current QB corp is going to keep him off the field next year. We may see a position change or a transfer.
That's what I was thinking. Bryant will have to really improve to keep him on the pine. No joke, I bet his arm is better than the bottom half of NFL starters right now. I may be selling him short.

It's your Clemson buddy, TigerSmith, back to talk football once again.

Friday night game - wish I could be there but I'll be attending a retirement dinner in Indianapolis. I won't even see the game live.

So what do you guys think?

I think you guys will blow us out. Our D will be down at least a couple starters and we have no running game. I think Clemson will have the spread covered by halftime.

All that being said, I’ll still be at the Dome wearing orange and screaming my head off like I do every home game.

If the OL can somehow block for a decent time and give Dungey a chance to look at multiple receivers or at worst his #1 target, SU has a chance. If ED is running for his life right from the get go it is going to be a tough night. The Tigers will rely on their front 4 pressure, possible blitz, and jump the routes to take away the quick throws. Can't let Clemsons receivers get behind the DB's like Pitt did too often and give up easy scores and that goes for long runs for the RB's as well. SU HAS to block, tackle/good angles, pass, catch, kick, snap, execute, no stupid penalties and 1 or less turnovers thus playing better than they have all season to even stay in this game. When Clemson fumbles SU HAS to recover. If the Tigers throw to a DB or LB they HAVE to catch it. When SU has the Tiger QB by the tail he HAS to take him down. No almosts can be done in this game. None.

Will just run different groups in on different series if you truly don't sub at all (which lets us do it). Even in 1st quarter, you'd see 1st team DL & LB, and 2nd team DBs... then 2nd team DT and safety with other 1st team guys. He's completely committed to doing that. Think we had 8 guys catch a pass in 1st half, and like 12 or so in game.

Some of our fans bitch we don't run it up... and while I don't see a reason to run it up per se... honestly worried we may let a game go we 'shouldn't'. That said - it's working, so hey - go with it.

I’m interested in this “don’t run it up” strategy. Is that why your passing numbers look so pedestrian?

I predict I'll be making a lot of trips to the taps before the start of the second half.

It's likely going to be a long one, but fun nonetheless. We aren't the same uncompetitive team we've been since joining the ACC. However, Clemson's a different animal than NC St. and LSU.

I’m interested in this “don’t run it up” strategy. Is that why your passing numbers look so pedestrian?

Pedestrian is in the eye of the beholder, it has been enough to get us to 6 and 0 against the 3rd toughest schedule to date. Point was moreso we are routinely playing 3 and 4 deep, even when games are tight and in the first half where as if they played the 1st team full time we maybe win some of these games by wider margins...

Our passing game is behind the running game right now for aure though.

It's not really a "don't run it up" strategy. It's more of a "play as many players as we can as early as we can because they're good, they need the live action experience and we think we're going to need them to be battle tested later in the season" strategy. The answer to the passing question is simple - we have four very good running backs (two better than the others but they could all start for most teams) and our OL run blocks better than they pass block. Therefore we rotate them to keep them fresh and give them the ball when they're in the game. Part B to that answer is that, as well as Deshaun Watson ran the ball, Kelly Bryant runs it better. Last year, with Watson, Leggett and Williams on the field it was crazy not to throw the ball. For this year's team it would be crazy not to run the ball.

It's not really a "don't run it up" strategy. It's more of a "play as many players as we can as early as we can because they're good, they need the live action experience and we think we're going to need them to be battle tested later in the season" strategy. The answer to the passing question is simple - we have four very good running backs (two better than the others but they could all start for most teams) and our OL run blocks better than they pass block. Therefore we rotate them to keep them fresh and give them the ball when they're in the game. Part B to that answer is that, as well as Deshaun Watson ran the ball, Kelly Bryant runs it better. Last year, with Watson, Leggett and Williams on the field it was crazy not to throw the ball. For this year's team it would be crazy not to run the ball.

I’ll say this off the top - I don’t expect that you guys will need a great passing game until the playoffs. NC State is good and their DL is the strength, but you can pass on them. I don’t think you’ll need to pass all that well to have success against us (though you should watch the Syracuse LSU game - they needed the pass to win - our D can catch fire against the run sometimes).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom