Greg Davis is number 1 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Greg Davis is number 1

Sutomcat and I were at that game. It was the second round in Dayton, and we had smooshed Hawaii in the previous game. The thing I remember most about that weekend: Billy Celuck at the hotel's front desk, wearing only boxer shorts. He had locked himself out of his room ... and had come to the desk in his underpants to get another key.

Last edited:
Our 48-24 2nd half was better than Miami's 47-15 against Kansas on Sunday.

So there's that.

There’s no way that box score is accurate.

Billy Celluck played 1 minute and got 4 fouls, 3 blocks, and took 3 shots? And Greg Davis played 17 minutes in a tourney game?

No way.

The box score is wrong, and the tweet was based on googling a wrong box score.

I don’t remember Greg Davis playing 17 minutes combined in games that mattered. They probably screwed his and Celluck’s minutes up.
I think they have the minutes for Davis and Celluck mixed up. Celluck had 17 and Davis had 1. This is on SU's site
1648655795477.png

Right.

And Celluck split center minutes with McNeil that year and given his stat line - that’s a typical Billy stat line given half a game or so.

Just thinking that we were a five seed with Billy Celuck and Jeremy McNeil at center. How far we have fallen.

Just thinking that we were a five seed with Billy Celuck and Jeremy McNeil at center. How far we have fallen.
I remember that as a season where JB pulled the right strings, guys clicked, the senior PG Griffin helped pull it all together, and Brown and Shumpert were borderline studs. Our 1-4 guys really carried us because we weren’t deep and the center spot was as you described it.

It is REALLY HARD to play for SEVENTEEN!!! minutes, and collect ZERO stats of ANY kind!!!!

That is truly a remarkable (lack of) achievement!!

The same stat line as a dead man. For 17 minutes.
Weekend at Greg Davis'.

A dead man would have gotten at least 1 rebound.

Greg Davis and James Thues might be the worst recruiting class in the history of Syracuse basketball.

But if I remember correctly, it led to a massive shift on the coaching staff.

I believe back in that time, only two assistant coaches plus the head coach were allowed to go off campus to recruit. I could be completely off, but I seem to recall Bernie being taken off the road and Hopkins being put on it.

The 2000-01 year was also saw the departure of Louie Orr to Siena, and the addition of Troy Weaver. Big upgrade on the recruiting side of things.

Personal Memory: Greg Davis played so little for SU, he would regular Archbold to play pickup with us regular folk. So did Jeremy McNeil, for what it's worth. Anyway, Davis wasn't even the best player in those pickup games. He was truly a bad basketball player.

No offense, he might be a very nice guy, but from a basketball standpoint, it may have been the biggest miss in the history of Syracuse recruiting.

Greg Davis and James Thues might be the worst recruiting class in the history of Syracuse basketball.

I believe back in that time, only two assistant coaches plus the head coach were allowed to go off campus to recruit. I could be completely off, but I seem to recall Bernie being taken off the road and Hopkins being put on it.

The 2000-01 year was also saw the departure of Louie Orr to Siena, and the addition of Troy Weaver. Big upgrade on the recruiting side of things.

Personal Memory: Greg Davis played so little for SU, he would regular Archbold to play pickup with us regular folk. So did Jeremy McNeil, for what it's worth. Anyway, Davis wasn't even the best player in those pickup games. He was truly a bad basketball player.

No offense, he might be a very nice guy, but from a basketball standpoint, it may have been the biggest miss in the history of Syracuse recruiting.
Bernie and Louie out, Hop and Weaver in. National title within 2 years.

Let’s get this thing fixed up.

Pretty much. I have them third from the bottom and the bottom class was empty because they had recruited so well before that they decided to skip a year and focus on the next year, (when they got Billy Owens). And the second to last class would not have been so if Chris McCullough didn't get injured.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom