Gross has to pull the plug on Shafer | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Gross has to pull the plug on Shafer

Well we got lucky playing teams that were decimated with injuries.
Yes & we also got MURDERED by 50 points in a few of them. That was an ugly 7-6 & this entire football program needs to start over ASAP. Gross needs to go first!! 15 minutes later, fire the entire coaching staff.

Barring the same rash of injuries I don't see how we could possibly be as awful as this year. The experience that makes any team better is there in spades thanks to injuries this season. If we are, for any reason, even on par with this season then yes - HCSS has to go. A winning record and he stays. Any less and I am sure conversation will be had in November about next steps.

Lester and McDonakd BOTH started out fine but regressed as OC's. I would love to know why.

Also, the injury bug was rampant under GRob and it is back. I can't help but think there is a connection but I don't know enough about coaching/training to even speculate.

I would love Addazio. He reminds me of Arians of the AZ Cardinals. Old school, punch you in the face mentalities that don't accept excuses. For the love of God, please get rid of Gross & Shafer ASAP!

SAVE US TOM COUGHLIN!!!

I know he doesn't want to recruit. I know he is old. I know its not the NFL. But if Coughlin just wants to coach and isn't in it for top money take this job at a somewhat reasonable price tag. Pay the assistants top dollar so they will recruit since your head coach at his age won't be on the road. Have a top assistant be a "head coach in waiting" since Tom probably won't coach long. And hand the program over to him lock, stock and barrel

I don't know how you make it work financially...but find a friggin way! A lot of smart people up there, find the money, find a way.

SAVE US TOM COUGHLIN!!!

I know he doesn't want to recruit. I know he is old. I know its not the NFL. But if Coughlin just wants to coach and isn't in it for top money take this job at a somewhat reasonable price tag. Pay the assistants top dollar so they will recruit since your head coach at his age won't be on the road. Have a top assistant be a "head coach in waiting" since Tom probably won't coach long. And hand the program over to him lock, stock and barrel

I don't know how you make it work financially...but find a friggin way! A lot of smart people up there, find the money, find a way.

If Larry Brown can go to SMU of all places and make them a Top 25 basketball team in a year, then SU football can turn it around with the right coach and resources.

I don't think it's Tom Coughlin but it's good to start looking.

After the ISIS press conference it was just obvious Scott Shafer was not a head coach. We scrapped 7 wins last year and I am thankful but the guy is in over his head. If you give him another year your praying for 6-6 which isn't good.
Somebody start a kickstarter to pay for the buyout I will drop a donation. I wish Scott Shafer well but this team is beyond bad. Our coaching staff is not good and the recruiting class while it was a bunch of good players is not good enough to justify keeping him onboard.

Find a coach who can improve the offense and with the IPF recruiting should improve. I would call Marshall HC Doc Holliday who can recruit in FL.
Absolutely put in a call to Marshall's coach.

LOL How long until Jim Tressel can coach again? Joking only a little ...No really when can he coach again?

We need a football Czar. Make it Tom Coughlin. Even if he doesn't want to coach I want him around this program full time. He is gonna be out of work soon and it makes too much sense. I want him sitting in on meetings.I want him helping place phone calls to recruits. I want him to work with the coaching staff.

all the focus on Shafer's record last year vs. this year is too crude to be helpful. As has been pointed out, oftentimes the margin between winning and losing lies in the "lucky" or "unlucky" breaks - in game injuries, bad calls, fluke plays, etc.

I'm not a delusional Syracuse fan. I understand there are some intrinsic disadvantages to Syracuse football (no local fertile recruiting grounds, private school, etc). I realize the team will not consistently put up 10 win season year in and year out, simply because Syracuse will never consistently have the talent to pull that off. I'm not expecting Shafer, or anyone, to be a miracle worker.

That being said, there are some marks of what a well coached team looks like. A team that maximizes their talent, whatever the level. A team that is well organized. A team that is disciplined. A team that is cohesive and maximizes whatever small advantages they have. They may not win because the otherside blows away the talent, but they maximize their chances

Shafer's teams - regardless of record - are not well coached. There is no unifying vision for the team. There is no attention to detail. There is no intelligence in utilizing talent and positioning it as best as it can be. Whatever the talent level is, it is not being managed and maximized to win games.

And THAT is the indictment. All the squabbling over record means nothing to me. The team is not well coached, and trending in the wrong direction (as that ridiculous punt makes obvious) regardless of whether or not he gets 2, 4, or even 6 wins, this year, last year, or any year.

TheCusian said:
What's the other option? New coach, loss of recruits, 2-3 year rebuilding again? You ride out next season and see what happens.

We're overhauling the offense and losing our best recruiter.

Yeah there's never a good time but this might be the closest to ideal as we'll get.

It's not going to happen though. Gross would never do it this quick and I don't want him hiring the next guy anyway.

Cutcliffe
Jimbo
Petrino
Dabo
------

Addazio
Golden
Fedora
Johnson
Beamer(old but better)
--------

Chryst
Shafer
Clawson
London
Doeron

the 3rd group I put all about the same but the other 2 id put over shafer
Okay list I guess. Their is nobody I would say Shafer is better than. Doeren and London have gotten commitments from several 4 star recruits. They may not be better game day coaches but I would call Shafer a bottom 3 ACC coach.

anomander said:
ya i know that was a set up post. just making a point that injuries are part of the game. we beat a decimated Maryland, who started a LB at qb. Wake's best wr, that Campanello kid was killing us until he broke his collarbone. We got lucky with that one. And then in the final game we knocked out the Heisman finalist Andre Williams. You can argue if those teams were healthy Shafer could have had 3 wins last year.

They had the same starting QB both times we played them (MD). Campanello had 2 catches I think.

WE knocked out Williams and Campanello - alls fair on the field. We made our own break by hitting the crap out of them. Same as what happened to Connors today.

Alsacs said:
Okay list I guess. Their is nobody I would say Shafer is better than. Doeren and London have gotten commitments from several 4 star recruits. They may not be better game day coaches but I would call Shafer a bottom 3 ACC coach.

We've done better with less than both of those guys.

D
We've done better with less than both of those guys.
Doeren won 3 games last year and has 6 win now with 2 games left this season. I don't see how we have done better.

London has sucked but he has recruited talent to UVA. Scott Shafer scrapped 7 wins last year we have not shown improvement in any phase of the game.

D

Doeren won 3 games last year and has 6 win now with 2 games left this season. I don't see how we have done better.

London has sucked but he has recruited talent to UVA. Scott Shafer scrapped 7 wins last year we have not shown improvement in any phase of the game.

Shafer is the worst coach in the ACC. Doeren had a tough year last year, but the man had a 12 win season at NIU.

He's lost the fan base, and I've resigned myself that SU does not care about being competitive in football if they him coach another year.

What happens when BC pummels the Cuse, say 35 - 7. Does Gross think things will get better in 2015 with the current coaching staff? Schiano may not be a bad idea after all for the shady one can recruit in NJ and FL.

I can't believe I am saying it but at this point hire Greg Schiano.
oh I brought his name up earlier this year just to see what everyone would think. While I hate the guy I wouldn't be totally against it. He has prior head coaching experience and has experience turning a program around. He wouldn't be my first choice but I wouldn't be up in arms either.

Grow up
I think my response was fair after two people made my opinion which was fair and not just fire the guy for nothing post and I had two posters go after me. I admit when I am wrong but this time I stand by what I said in October.

oh I brought his name up earlier this year just to see what everyone would think. While I hate the guy I wouldn't be totally against it. He has prior head coaching experience and has experience turning a program around. He wouldn't be my first choice but I wouldn't be up in arms either.
he would be fine ONLY if he is not allowed to be the game day coach--he was bad at ru in that role(as well as tampa bay)---underachieving micro manager. on the upside he is great snake oil salesman recruiter, and excellent defensive coordinator. he never really won anything at ru---but really excellent at smoke and mirrors. he was a classic example of PERCEPTION IS REALITY.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom