Gross has to pull the plug on Shafer | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Gross has to pull the plug on Shafer

We just need a new offensive coach/philosophy. We get what we can out if the defensive talent.

Yeah - put me in the "the world is against this team now they rally" camp. Players love Shafer and will rally.

This is a bad time to have FSU on the schedule however.

How about some Basketball news to take the pressure off?

I actually watched the press conference and that was flat out embarrassing. I don't care we went 7-6 last year. Shafer is an clown and our team is always either underachieving in these games or we aren't prepared.

The fact we have such a terrible offense in an age where college offense have such huge advantages is sad. Shafer acts like a MAC HC and I never see adjustments. McDonald has no clue. We might not have the best talent in CFB but we are not as bad as we appear on the field.

Dr. Gross the only way you will make a change is if your fanbase demands it. I do not want another year of this garbage. 2009 and 2011 both non-bowl seasons were no where this bad. I can not wait another 2 years for a new staff. Please realize it is not unfair to pull the plug when the incumbent staff is so woefully not worthy of more time and hurts the program long term to give another year to its leader.​

He's in his second season. Yes, this season is turning disappointing, but this is the same guy who got us to a bowl game last year. If there's a problem anywhere, it's McDonald and the offensive play calling. But McDonald is our best recruiter and the talent is definitely trending upward. What I would suggest is you bring in someone as co-offensive coordinator, so McDonald does not get officially demoted and leave, and let them split the duties, with the new guy being the one up in the booth.

jgeorge322 said:
We just need a new offensive coach/philosophy. We get what we can out if the defensive talent.

Hunt had a bad game. I actually like the play calling outside of the safety.

So Hunt goes, our season goes. Gulp.

Then why does the QB handle the ball every play and why did we run only 22 times last night?

We are running the spread offense McDonald wants without the personnel to run this offense.

And if you don't like the QB, well then this staff had a full recruiting cycle to find a replacement. We played against a true freshman last night... So that falls on recruiting. And if you don't have a true freshman you like get a juco. The QB position is so important in the spread. I thought Terrelncould run it. It appears he can't. In this situation to win games you need a ball control offense.

Hunt is banged up right now. He took a real shot to his hip last week. He's not running as well as he usually does.

This is why you dont hire your friends. Coach will have some difficult yet necessary decisions to make or he will go down with the ship like Pasqualoni.

IthacaMatt said:
Well, we were also missing our top 2 receivers last night, and one of our starting offensive linemen.

This. A lot of faults now, but look how bad Maryland played last year without its two best receivers. We simply can't afford to play a quality team minus our best receivers. You're in trouble when Lewis is your primary,

Let's get a few things straight...

- There are others here who may know the specific circumstances, but most university administrators, from Deans up, serve at the discretion of the President (Chancellor), with the consent of the Board of Trustees. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd be surprised if Gross has a "contract".

- If you are sitting in Kent Syverud's chair, I think you need to evaluate the Athletic Director in terms of more than the football team's performance (particularly in the era of Title IX). Ask yourself this: is the Syrcuse athletic program in better shape overall today compared to with when Crouthamel left?

- Shafer isn't going anywhere right now, so let's end this silly talk. He is barely into year 2 of his contract and deserves an opportunity to build the program with his recruits. Aside from having to pony-up the money to buy-out his final 3 years, what sort of message would this send prospective coaching candidates? No coach in his right mind would apply for a job at a struggling program, knowing you have such a short leash.

- At some point it might be appropriate for Gross to have a "come to Jesus" meeting with Shafer, and make some changes to the coaching staff. I honestly like the defense under Bullough. Hackett was pilloried here his first couple of years, and then there was great wailing and gnashing of teeth when he left. Can MacDonald grow into the job? I don't know, but right now I think you would have a difficult time making a case that his recruiting prowess trumps the overall ineptitude of the offense.

Injuries are a part of the game. Next man up, right?

if hunt cant run the offense due to injury or any reason, get someone who can. WRs getting injured, thats gonna happen every year. Injuries are not an excuse

Doctor44 said:
Injuries are a part of the game. Next man up, right? if hunt cant run the offense due to injury or any reason, get someone who can. WRs getting injured, thats gonna happen every year. Injuries are not an excuse

Maybe we can make a trade??

Syverud would be wise to pull the plug on gross, RIGHT NOW, so the new guy can come in and get his guy in by December.

I think that's the biggest question. What does Syverud want out of his football program and how much does he want to spend to get there?

I worry about people who have no insight to what this program was in the late 80s and 90s. Since they never saw it, and they just look at the college landscape now, they would probably consider this a program with a 6-8 win ceiling (which it might be now and forever).

He's in his second season. Yes, this season is turning disappointing, but this is the same guy who got us to a bowl game last year. If there's a problem anywhere, it's McDonald and the offensive play calling. But McDonald is our best recruiter and the talent is definitely trending upward. What I would suggest is you bring in someone as co-offensive coordinator, so McDonald does not get officially demoted and leave, and let them split the duties, with the new guy being the one up in the booth.

I've said it numerous times already, but I will continue to. Who has McDonald brought in that we wouldn't normally get? Not 1 single person. He hasn't even come close, or at least good enough on the recruiting trail to help him survive this debacle.

With that Said Shafer isn't going anyway, nor should he...yet. He has to have a chance to make a move to his staff (something he better do when the time comes), and at least get 2-3 years under his belt before you even start to consider that. If we get a new AD however it could be anyone's guess. So for the people hoping Shafer is gone i'd hope for a new AD.

After seeing portions of that press conference I don't feel good about HCSS. He needs to own this loss, don't try and distract and obfuscate - that is how you get into the mindset of a losing team. Time for him to grow up this year or get out.

No coach in his right mind would apply for a job at a struggling program, knowing you have such a short leash
This is the key point. Unless it's an absolute debacle, any head coach needs four years with his recruits to get it right. Shafer is .500 through his tenure. It's not an absolute debacle. Maryland and 'Ville were 50/50 propositions. ND was a likely loss and FSU is a 100% defeat. That makes Wake the "Save The Season" game. Any fightback begins there. Drop the Wake game and, yeah, we may be looking at a 3-win year.

cmr27 said:
This is the key point. Unless it's an absolute debacle, any head coach needs four years with his recruits to get it right. Shafer is .500 through his tenure. It's not an absolute debacle. Maryland and 'Ville were 50/50 propositions. ND was a likely loss and FSU is a 100% defeat. That makes Wake the "Save The Season" game. Any fightback begins there. Drop the Wake game and, yeah, we may be looking at a 3-win year.
Shafer has been pretty lucky. Nova bc come to mind

Gross hired GRob, Marrone and Shafer. Sorry...but three strikes, and Gross is gone.

He doesn't get a fourth hire.
actually in baseball terms he is batting .333 but yeah i dont think he gets another hire

So what is the real problem with the offense? Is it the person calling the plays or the QB running the plays. I thought outside of 2-3 calls last night McDonald had a pretty good game calling plays. He called players open all over the field they throws were either missed by Hunt or dropped by Lewis.

McDonald's offense works in other places heck it has worked against us in the ND game. I think the offensive game plan is fine. I think the QB running the system can not get it done. I think the first move would be to move on from Hunt.

People say we missed our two best WR's last night so that is the excuse this time. Hunt had people open all night just didn't deliver I see no difference in the game with those two guys in there.

So it all comes down system versus players. When a new coaching staff comes in do you install "your" system even though the talent from the previous coaching staff isn't high enough to run the system or do you break your system and mold your offense around you talent just to have a couple .500 seasons. My opinion is you install your system and that is it. Then you try to get the players in to run the system in a short amount of time. This is clearly what has happened here. McDonald isnt breaking what he does because Hunt can't run his system.

We need to sit Hunt down and give this other kids a chance bottom line Hunt isn't a good QB sorry for all you Hunt lovers out there he just isn't a good QB. No way around it. Wilson, Kimble, Long give them all reps and see if any of them show a spark. If Hunt is our QB next year the entire staff will be fired.

McDonald the recruiter - Ish, Estime, Custis, Prater, Edouard, Dowels, and Enoicy all the young talent the recruiting board has been raving about probably wouldn't be here without him.

This. A lot of faults now, but look how bad Maryland played last year without its two best receivers. We simply can't afford to play a quality team minus our best receivers. You're in trouble when Lewis is your primary,
Who are our best receivers? Honestly?

Gross hired GRob, Marrone and Shafer. Sorry...but three strikes, and Gross is gone.

He doesn't get a fourth hire.

Marrone was an excellent coach and a great hire.

The defense can't tackle.

The QB, well...when the talent evaluators on the board evelauate the talent, you people need to listen to us.

Mr soundbite, talking points on a cue card is also exactly what we said.

Syverud would be wise to pull the plug on gross, RIGHT NOW, so the new guy can come in and get his guy in by December.
The defense tackles just fine and they made more than enough plays to win the game. Louisville has good RB that broke some tackles and he will do it against other teams. The defense was excellent last night. The last 3 games have been entirely on the offense. That is simple fact. This team has a poor QB. And OC that's the entire problem with this team.

So what is the real problem with the offense? Is it the person calling the plays or the QB running the plays. I thought outside of 2-3 calls last night McDonald had a pretty good game calling plays. He called players open all over the field they throws were either missed by Hunt or dropped by Lewis.

McDonald's offense works in other places heck it has worked against us in the ND game. I think the offensive game plan is fine. I think the QB running the system can not get it done. I think the first move would be to move on from Hunt.

People say we missed our two best WR's last night so that is the excuse this time. Hunt had people open all night just didn't deliver I see no difference in the game with those two guys in there.

So it all comes down system versus players. When a new coaching staff comes in do you install "your" system even though the talent from the previous coaching staff isn't high enough to run the system or do you break your system and mold your offense around you talent just to have a couple .500 seasons. My opinion is you install your system and that is it. Then you try to get the players in to run the system in a short amount of time. This is clearly what has happened here. McDonald isnt breaking what he does because Hunt can't run his system.

We need to sit Hunt down and give this other kids a chance bottom line Hunt isn't a good QB sorry for all you Hunt lovers out there he just isn't a good QB. No way around it. Wilson, Kimble, Long give them all reps and see if any of them show a spark. If Hunt is our QB next year the entire staff will be fired.

McDonald the recruiter - Ish, Estime, Custis, Prater, Edouard, Dowels, and Enoicy all the young talent the recruiting board has been raving about probably wouldn't be here without him.

I agree with replacing hunt from this prospective. I disagree with that McDonalds offense works. He runs an abomination of the spread. It takes the QB too long to get the ball out to the edge. Our running plays dont work. we snap the ball in the shotgun - the running back stands there and has to wait for the qb to get the ball and hand it to him til he starts moving. As opposed to when you take the ball under center and the RB starts moving forward at the snap. The shotgun kills AAM

Only way Shafer stays is he will have to get rid of some coaches and maybe take on some experienced assistants that he really does not want. They need to focus on the run with Gulley and Moore, Parris showed some ability and slow the game down (not that they are going fast) I think Hunt has a knee issue and he is done for a while, would like to see Long, I think he has legit speed and wants to run. Hunt runs like a dump truck going down hill with no brakes and then hits a brick wall.
I am not for firing Shafer but they need to make some changes and fast.

Only way Shafer stays is he will have to get rid of some coaches and maybe take on some experienced assistants that he really does not want. .... I am not for firing Shafer but they need to make some changes and fast.

Are you seriously advocating replacing coaches in the middle of the season? What reputable OC in his right mind would come here and try to install his offense under these circumstances? And what would become of our recruiting class?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom