Gross has to pull the plug on Shafer | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Gross has to pull the plug on Shafer

I don't think Gross is going to make the call to pull the plug on anyone. Maybe Syverud's Ohio St. guy has an in with Tom Hermann??

I wonder if Frazier was asking Petrino if L'ville was looking for another suit in their administration.

Hunt is banged up right now. He took a real shot to his hip last week. He's not running as well as he usually does.

Teams are stacking the QB run now...from what I can tell he's forcing passes, one pick our WR gets behind the defense and he shorts the ball, another he throws across the field instead of taking a shot downfield. He's not accurate enough to act like Peyton Manning out there.

Gross has to give Shafer the ultimatum at the end of the year. SHow me how you are going to improve the team, offense, defense, special teams and talent level in recruiting. An evaluation needs to be done to see where the issues are.

In other words; "Get a new OC, make a change to the offense or you're gone along with your OC."

Believe it or not, there are other experienced OC's out there that can out-recruit McDonald.

Gross has to give Shafer the ultimatum at the end of the year. SHow me how you are going to improve the team, offense, defense, special teams and talent level in recruiting. An evaluation needs to be done to see where the issues are.

In other words; "Get a new OC, make a change to the offense or you're gone along with your OC."

Believe it or not, there are other experienced OC's out there that can out-recruit McDonald.

Jury was out on this staff even before the season started. It comes with the turf when you hire a HC with no HC experience who then hires who he knows and can afford to bring in. Board is just now coming around to that reality. But, there was also a reality about what was available to SU in that initial HC pool.

Which bring us to this - can you provide one or two names of the those "experienced OCs out there that can out-recruit McDonald" and who are available, ready and willing to come here?

I am not saying they don't exist and I am definitely not saying that GM and SS is the answer.

What I am saying is that SU fans everywhere should all hope and/or pray that SS is the answer because this staff aint going anywhere soon. And we are much closer to falling back into the abyss we just crawled out of than we are to turning any corner, or having 8 win seasons as a minimal expectation for success.

Hunt had a bad game. I actually like the play calling outside of the safety.

So Hunt goes, our season goes. Gulp.
agree with you on the gameplan and playcalling just hunt had a bad game

Hunt had a bad game. I actually like the play calling outside of the safety.

So Hunt goes, our season goes. Gulp.
agree with you on the gameplan and playcalling just hunt had a bad game
I've said it numerous times already, but I will continue to. Who has McDonald brought in that we wouldn't normally get? Not 1 single person. He hasn't even come close, or at least good enough on the recruiting trail to help him survive this debacle.

With that Said Shafer isn't going anyway, nor should he...yet. He has to have a chance to make a move to his staff (something he better do when the time comes), and at least get 2-3 years under his belt before you even start to consider that. If we get a new AD however it could be anyone's guess. So for the people hoping Shafer is gone i'd hope for a new AD.
eduard if he arrives in january

I've said it numerous times already, but I will continue to. Who has McDonald brought in that we wouldn't normally get? Not 1 single person. He hasn't even come close, or at least good enough on the recruiting trail to help him survive this debacle.

For as knowledgeable you are about recruiting, that is a very very poor statement. Ishmael is the one obvious one. You can point to Enoicy as well. Basically most of the offensive guys from Florida came here b/c of McDonald. Only reason we are in discussion for guys like Washington in 2016 is McDonald.

Anomander (Post 241 of Ishmael thread) - Could Ishmael be our best recruiting effort ever? I can't think of many kids we have brought in who have had more legit offers then Ishmael. Especially coming from So Florida.

Let's all take a deep breath. This season is off to a disappointing start and last night was a complete debacle. But Shafer is 9-9 as our HC, and he still has 3 years left on his contract. I think he and his staff desrve a chance to demonstrate what they can do with their own recruits. Even Greg Robinson got 4 years.
Do you really think this team will win more than 3-4 games? Can't see it. This year is going to be a major step back. The talent level is not good but the coaching staff hasn't maximized it. In fact the coaching staff often looks confused and lost and there needs to be changes made. But I do agree that Shafer gets 1 more year. If he has another losing season he will be out.

I like Shafer. Sorry he gets more chances. I watched mistakes but the team has been more of a team under him then I seen in a long time. No quit approach. Nope.. he can stay. Gross? No opinion. FYI - Like everyone's thoughts on the list. Good point about no top 25.
No quit? I saw players laughing after the int immediately after the fumble recovery, and the offense had that i-just-want-the-game-to-be-over look after that. I saw the definition of quitting last night

So what is the real problem with the offense? Is it the person calling the plays or the QB running the plays. I thought outside of 2-3 calls last night McDonald had a pretty good game calling plays. He called players open all over the field they throws were either missed by Hunt or dropped by Lewis.

McDonald's offense works in other places heck it has worked against us in the ND game. I think the offensive game plan is fine. I think the QB running the system can not get it done. I think the first move would be to move on from Hunt.

People say we missed our two best WR's last night so that is the excuse this time. Hunt had people open all night just didn't deliver I see no difference in the game with those two guys in there.

So it all comes down system versus players. When a new coaching staff comes in do you install "your" system even though the talent from the previous coaching staff isn't high enough to run the system or do you break your system and mold your offense around you talent just to have a couple .500 seasons. My opinion is you install your system and that is it. Then you try to get the players in to run the system in a short amount of time. This is clearly what has happened here. McDonald isnt breaking what he does because Hunt can't run his system.

We need to sit Hunt down and give this other kids a chance bottom line Hunt isn't a good QB sorry for all you Hunt lovers out there he just isn't a good QB. No way around it. Wilson, Kimble, Long give them all reps and see if any of them show a spark. If Hunt is our QB next year the entire staff will be fired.

McDonald the recruiter - Ish, Estime, Custis, Prater, Edouard, Dowels, and Enoicy all the young talent the recruiting board has been raving about probably wouldn't be here without him.
Totally agree. Hunt is a terrible passer and I don't think the team is going anywhere with a QB that can't throw. But the o-line is nowhere near last year. Last year they could open holes even against good teams. This team can't run the ball and it's been obvious since Villanova. There are no holes to run through. They can't pick up a yard in short yardage situations. It's not the backs. There is no push from the o-line.

Time to support our team and coach like fans do.
I am.

After nd I reminded everyone that the orange were headed for 2-4 and wake was all that matters.

So everybody relax and enjoy the view.

Lose wake...and we gonna have some real fun!!!

The only problem I really have is the offense. The defense will always give up points when they are on the field all the damn time. A couple extended drives and the defense probably gives up under twenty. You simply cannot keep missing opportunities and win at this level.

Are you seriously advocating replacing coaches in the middle of the season? What reputable OC in his right mind would come here and try to install his offense under these circumstances? And what would become of our recruiting class?
Not saying middle of the season, end of season. Gross will not fire him during the season. Saying season goes to crap and he is told get to keep your job you must replace some people.

For as knowledgeable you are about recruiting, that is a very very poor statement. Ishmael is the one obvious one. You can point to Enoicy as well. Basically most of the offensive guys from Florida came here b/c of McDonald. Only reason we are in discussion for guys like Washington in 2016 is McDonald.

Anomander (Post 241 of Ishmael thread) - Could Ishmael be our best recruiting effort ever? I can't think of many kids we have brought in who have had more legit offers then Ishmael. Especially coming from So Florida.

Ok there is 1. Who else? I would love to know why that is a very very bad statement. Enoicy's only other option at that point was Florida International. I am expecting much much more.

Ok there is 1. Who else? I would love to know why that is a very very bad statement. Enoicy's only other option at that point was Florida International. I am expecting much much more.

Dowels, who Oklahoma was looking in on. Edouard. This class you have Robinson.

If your expectations are significantly higher then that, then the blame needs to start going to the rest of the staff, as McDonald is more then pulling his own weight on top of OC duties when it comes to recruiting in that region. Do we remember what Hackett was like as a recruiter?

Might be time to evaluate why Illinois is apparently ripe with football talent and is the area our recruiting coordinator target.

Totally agree. Hunt is a terrible passer and I don't think the team is going anywhere with a QB that can't throw. But the o-line is nowhere near last year. Last year they could open holes even against good teams. This team can't run the ball and it's been obvious since Villanova. There are no holes to run through. They can't pick up a yard in short yardage situations. It's not the backs. There is no push from the o-line.

I think that the lack of holes is a function of the offensive scheme. Seems like a high school bubble screen hurry up and wait offense that has the same tendencies every play we run. Seems almost like the defense knows where the play is going by our substitutions, personnel and our location on the field.

Pretty easy for a real college DC to figure out with a staff of folks analyzing tape.

Eduard too as long as he makes it here in January as expected

Dowels, who Oklahoma was looking in on. Edouard. This class you have Robinson.

If your expectations are significantly higher then that, then the blame needs to start going to the rest of the staff, as McDonald is more then pulling his own weight on top of OC duties when it comes to recruiting in that region. Do we remember what Hackett was like as a recruiter?

Might be time to evaluate why Illinois is apparently ripe with football talent and is the area our recruiting coordinator target.

Dowels was going to Oklahoma all the way if they wanted him. He feel into our lap, and is a guy we would get anyways.

Robinson is the same type of player we have always got from South Florida.

Let's have Alin Edouard make it to campus before we count him. But still,again, he is borderline someone we always got.

I think that the lack of holes is a function of the offensive scheme. Seems like a high school bubble screen hurry up and wait offense that has the same tendencies every play we run. Seems almost like the defense knows where the play is going by our substitutions, personnel and our location on the field.

Pretty easy for a real college DC to figure out with a staff of folks analyzing tape.
The offensive line has played very well this year. Anyone who isn't seeing that is t watching the games. Both Louisville and ND have top ten defenses nationally and Hunt still had all day to throw the ball. Teams are stacking the box and daring hunt to throw which. They know he can't. This team also out up massive rushing yards against Maryland and Central michigan so the holes not being there just isn't accurate.

The problem with this team is the QB and the OC. GM is simply way I've his head and needs to be replaced hunt doesn't seem to have the intellect required to play QB.

Not saying middle of the season, end of season. Gross will not fire him during the season. Saying season goes to crap and he is told get to keep your job you must replace some people.

I interpreted your statement that we "need to make some changes and fast" to mean sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
So what is the real problem with the offense? Is it the person calling the plays or the QB running the plays. I thought outside of 2-3 calls last night McDonald had a pretty good game calling plays. He called players open all over the field they throws were either missed by Hunt or dropped by Lewis.

McDonald's offense works in other places heck it has worked against us in the ND game. I think the offensive game plan is fine. I think the QB running the system can not get it done. I think the first move would be to move on from Hunt.

People say we missed our two best WR's last night so that is the excuse this time. Hunt had people open all night just didn't deliver I see no difference in the game with those two guys in there.

So it all comes down system versus players. When a new coaching staff comes in do you install "your" system even though the talent from the previous coaching staff isn't high enough to run the system or do you break your system and mold your offense around you talent just to have a couple .500 seasons. My opinion is you install your system and that is it. Then you try to get the players in to run the system in a short amount of time. This is clearly what has happened here. McDonald isnt breaking what he does because Hunt can't run his system.

We need to sit Hunt down and give this other kids a chance bottom line Hunt isn't a good QB sorry for all you Hunt lovers out there he just isn't a good QB. No way around it. Wilson, Kimble, Long give them all reps and see if any of them show a spark. If Hunt is our QB next year the entire staff will be fired.

McDonald the recruiter - Ish, Estime, Custis, Prater, Edouard, Dowels, and Enoicy all the young talent the recruiting board has been raving about probably wouldn't be here without him.

I like your post and I also like Hunt. I think you're correct. Hunt has not produced as hoped and expected.

Pre-season there was much optimism mostly based on Hunts late last season heroics. He has not lived up to those expectations. Last season I bought into the wide receivers just aren't good enough. This year they were supposed to be better. I think most of the offensive problems we've had this year can be blamed on Hunt. He's gotten pretty good pocket protection and just hasn't produced. I don't see him looking off anybody.

I used to think his passing ability was promising and that he just needed to be more consistent. Now I have a feeling that it is an accuracy problem that might never right itself. Granted if he is dinged up that can be a factor.

McDonald has made some bonehead play calls, but our offensive problems are mostly caused by having an inefficient QB.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom