Gross needs to resign tonight...(It's back)! | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Gross needs to resign tonight...(It's back)!

I only vaguely remember the issue with the statue. Weren't the issues having Nike on the cleats and something with the helmet?

SU provided the sculptor with a sample helmet and cleats to use, along with a bunch of pictures of Ernie.

Problem #1: They provided a modern helmet and cleats, not 1960's era gear.

Problem #2: The sculptor didn't realize or wasn't told not to copy the gear exactly, because it wasn't period specific.

Problem #3: Nobody at SU checked the statue after it had been delivered. Or they did check it and didn't pick up on the errors.

As bad as this is, it pales in comparison to Ernie Davis statue #1. An abomination of some sort of combination of hubris and lack of talent. Where the AD comes into it was (a) selection of said sculptor (despite pleas to the contrary) and (b) allegedly being cowed by the sculptor that no one could see it until it was unveiled. I wanted to cry and felt so bad for Dan out on the field.
Wow what? Not to hijack the thread, but can you give me a thumbnail sketch of what happened with the Davis statue? I'd not kept up as events unfolded.

EDIT: Aaaaaaand the instant before I posted this someone captured the salient points. Unless there's something else to add to the story please feel free to ignore my request!

The reason you get paid what you get paid is to ensure that you hire competent people beneath you and properly manage them and all processes.

Why didn't TGD jump on this PR grenade immediately?

Brutal.

I've defended Gross because I do think he gets blamed for anything and everything, though it's become very hard to continue. Giasante is an unmitigated disaster. SU communications were bad before him, now they're terrible, but we get this clown parading around like he's some expert at fixing and spinning things. The AD would go a long way to just be transparent and stop bs'ing everyone.

OMG, I just watched the video where they give the wrong jersey to Orr. So as Bees pointed out this was TWO mistakes. Just plain embarrassing. Awful.

OrangeXtreme said:
SU provided the sculptor with a sample helmet and cleats to use, along with a bunch of pictures of Ernie.

Problem #1: They provided a modern helmet and cleats, not 1960's era gear.

Problem #2: The sculptor didn't realize or wasn't told not to copy the gear exactly, because it wasn't period specific.

Problem #3: Nobody at SU checked the statue after it had been delivered. Or they did check it and didn't pick up on the errors.

That was try #2. The statute originally mentioned in this thread was unveiled on the field at halftime. So bad, it lead to what you describe.

I've defended Gross because I do think he gets blamed for anything and everything, though it's become very hard to continue. Giasante is an unmitigated disaster. SU communications were bad before him, now they're terrible, but we get this clown parading around like he's some expert at fixing and spinning things. The AD would go a long way to just be transparent and stop bs'ing everyone.

That's what you get for hiring a guy to start a baseball program and putting him in a job he isn't qualified for...and for ignoring the fact that his alma mater (Oregon) seemed to dump him from a pretty high position.

The whole idea of retiring jerseys in an effort to "create events" is Daryl's idea. Look at how many jerseys were retired before he was hired, and how many since.

It's his initiative for crying out loud.

He has fubared this beyond belief.

That was try #2. The statute originally mentioned in this thread was unveiled on the field at halftime. So bad, it lead to what you describe.
medium_statue.jpg

Wait. What? Did that really happen?

Yes it did, unfortunately.

It was odd and from where I was sitting I didn't even see the misspelling of the name at that point. I was thinking they didn't know who was who. Then add in the spelling issue and it's even more embarrassing.

I'm typically pretty level headed, and, have waited to weigh in on this.

I've worked in multiple facets of communications, as well as areas of business where communication is essential. If this isn't a firable offense, what is?

Gross or Giansante? Both? This is national laughingstock type material. How can an oversight like this even happen? How does it make it this far? Laughable. Unfortunately, we're the ones being laughed at. It literally feels like every piece of promotional literature published for SU Athletics has some manner of typo. Institution of higher learning?

Accountability matters in my profession.

Wow what? Not to hijack the thread, but can you give me a thumbnail sketch of what happened with the Davis statue? I'd not kept up as events unfolded.

EDIT: Aaaaaaand the instant before I posted this someone captured the salient points. Unless there's something else to add to the story please feel free to ignore my request!
Actually I believe OrangeExtreme is relaying the issues with statue #2. The issue with statue #1 was far more egregious. Statue #2 actually kind of resembles ED probably because the sculptor (who should have been the original sculptor) is the same person who created the wonderful statue of ED down in Elmira. I don't remember the specifics on how sculptor #1 was chosen, but think it was seen as a cost savings.

So there was a rush to finish statue #1 because SU had a game on tv coming up and wanted to do the whole unveiling at half-time with a lot of media in the house. The sculptor allegedly refused to show her work to anyone before it was unveiled. When they removed the covering at half-time - OMG. The statue barely looked human, let alone anything like Ernie Davis. The SUAD then retained the services of sculptor #2 - whose much improved statue had the much lesser issues which OExtreme indicated. Hopefully they have found a hiding place for statue #1 such that it is never seen again.

I bet there have been more ceremonies under DG that have NOT been fu/$3d up in some capacity, Than those that have been.

So there's that.

I've worked in multiple facets of communications, as well as areas of business where communication is essential. If this isn't a firable offense, what is?

Gross or Giansante? Both? This is national laughingstock type material. How can an oversight like this even happen? How does it make it this far? Laughable. Unfortunately, we're the ones being laughed at. It literally feels like every piece of promotional literature published for SU Athletics has some manner of typo. Institution of higher learning?

It's assine that Giansante didn't think it prudent to CHECK THE THING before it went public to a packed dome. You know, just so you don't run the risk of turning what should be a once in a lifetime moment for a man into meme-fuel.

Here's the thing that is driving me nuts: Giansante was quoted saying NO ONE LOOKED AT IT until the ceremony started! How the hell does that happen?! How the hell does NO ONE take a look at it even out of pure curiosity?!

Here's the thing that is driving me nuts: Giansante was quoted saying NO ONE LOOKED AT IT until the ceremony started! How the hell does that happen?! How the hell does NO ONE take a look at it even out of pure curiosity?!
Giansante is a Moron

Hopefully they have found a hiding place for statue #1 such that it is never seen again.

I think statue #1 was melted down into a spittoon which now sits in Gross' office. ;)

Actually I believe OrangeExtreme is relaying the issues with statue #2. The issue with statue #1 was far more egregious. Statue #2 actually kind of resembles ED probably because the sculptor (who should have been the original sculptor) is the same person who created the wonderful statue of ED down in Elmira. I don't remember the specifics on how sculptor #1 was chosen, but think it was seen as a cost savings.

So there was a rush to finish statue #1 because SU had a game on tv coming up and wanted to do the whole unveiling at half-time with a lot of media in the house. The sculptor allegedly refused to show her work to anyone before it was unveiled. When they removed the covering at half-time - OMG. The statue barely looked human, let alone anything like Ernie Davis. The SUAD then retained the services of sculptor #2 - whose much improved statue had the much lesser issues which OExtreme indicated. Hopefully they have found a hiding place for statue #1 such that it is never seen again.
Holy cow - barely human? I would LOL but it's just sad to think that such a travishamockery could transpire unchecked. Naturally I must google for pics of this statue #1.

Thanks for the 411.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom