Hafley leaving BC for NFL | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Hafley leaving BC for NFL

I wonder if college will end up creating a GM position for football? Someone to deal with all of the personnel and business matters. What’s being asked of head coaches is really too much at this point.

Considering how much of a requirement the NCAA currently puts on coaches to maintain total control of the program, I'd expect the creation of a "GM" type position is going to lead to some really ugly legal battles down the road. Like a coach getting fired for cause and suing because the sport had evolved, and he shouldn't be held accountable for violations committed by the "GM". It would be great if the NCAA was proactive here - but we all know they won't be.

Bill O’Brien at BC is bad news for Syracuse. Guy can coach, will be their best coach since Coughlin by a long long long distance.

Coughlin was one year away from turning bc into a program that probably would have disrupted some of our mid 90s success.

Hope it blows up and they end up w Al golden

Bill O’Brien at BC is bad news for Syracuse. Guy can coach, will be their best coach since Coughlin by a long long long distance.

Coughlin was one year away from turning bc into a program that probably would have disrupted some of our mid 90s success.

It’s not ideal if Bill O’Brien ends up at BC - but is it possible he’s tarnished his brand enough that success at BC isn’t the given I think people would expect? His flameout in Houston was impressive, and Alabama’s offense wasn’t spectacular the last couple of years either.

He never has had to really recruit. And NFL types absolutely hate that aspect of the game (why Hafley left). Penn State and Bama were easy and mainly pre portal/NIL. If quality recruiters like Addazio and Hafley couldn't get talent up there, how will BOB? If he is HC at BC, I would expect the team to be very well coached but they will have a talent issue. So your typical 7-6 (3-5) BC football.

He also seems to be all over the place. College, NFL, College, NFL, College, NFL, College. He hops around a lot which isn't good for BC long term.

Given the above I wouldn't think he would be interested in the BC job. If he does well at tOSU he can get a better gig than BC. Going to BC seems like a retirement move for a HC with his resume and he is only 54.

He never has had to really recruit. And NFL types absolutely hate that aspect of the game (why Hafley left). Penn State and Bama were easy and mainly pre portal/NIL. If quality recruiters like Addazio and Hafley couldn't get talent up there, how will BOB? If he is HC at BC, I would expect the team to be very well coached but they will have a talent issue. So your typical 7-6 (3-5) BC football.

He also seems to be all over the place. College, NFL, College, NFL, College, NFL, College. He hops around a lot which isn't good for BC long term.

Given the above I wouldn't think he would be interested in the BC job. If he does well at tOSU he can get a better gig than BC. Going to BC seems like a retirement move for a HC with his resume and he is only 54.
He’s from Boston. So maybe a quasi destination for him?

I think he’s similar to Coughlin. Good nfl pedigree, can coach. Coughlin maximized that roster.

I’m not saying they will be Alabama but it’s not a hire who I want there

If memory serves me correct he has a son with severe special needs. The constant moving like most coaches do can’t be good I wouldn’t think. I would guess long term stability for his family would be one of his goals not sure if BC would be that place to provide that.

BC has never worried me in all my years as an SU fan. Yes they had some good years but it's never been a team that I would lose sleep over, and SU's 34-23 overall series record backs me up. That said, I like it when both BC & SU are good so bring it on.

He’s from Boston. So maybe a quasi destination for him?

I think he’s similar to Coughlin. Good nfl pedigree, can coach. Coughlin maximized that roster.

I’m not saying they will be Alabama but it’s not a hire who I want there

He isn't close to the coach TC was, and the 90s was a different era.

Coughlin's last season at BC they went 5-2 in conference. Since then they have had one season over the past 30 with an equal or better record. They haven't been over .500 in conference since 2009, and haven't finished a season ranked since 2007.

I don't think that changes with BOB. Their basement will be higher but their ceiling is their ceiling.

He isn't close to the coach TC was, and the 90s was a different era.

Coughlin's last season at BC they went 5-2 in conference. Since then they have had one season over the past 30 with an equal or better record. They haven't been over .500 in conference since 2009, and haven't finished a season ranked since 2007.

I don't think that changes with BOB. Their basement will be higher but their ceiling is their ceiling.
Agreed and in this era, you need to constantly be recruiting, on the go non stop. I am not sure O'Brien fits that mold nor do I think his style will resonate with kids all that much. He's a good coach and would be a solid hire for BC but he could be their next Dan Henning too. Not really worried about it.

BOB is no Hafley ;)
What, you mean built like a 14 year old boy with no muscle tone? BOB isnt quite that bad but Hafley never felt like a real head coach to me, more like a misplaced frat boy. I’ll take a dude that looked like he played the game … hell as much as I am not his biggest fan, Doug Marrone just had a presence, Hafley doesn’t have that in my eyes. Plus he is overrated because of his time at OSU but that is not uncommon just see Ash, Christopher.

Blaudshun who is connected to BC says BOB is the hire and will be announced this week and Marrone could be coming with him.

Marrone hated college so much he went to Syracuse peer school.

Blaudshun who is connected to BC says BOB is the hire and will be announced this week and Marrone could be coming with him.

Marrone hated college so much he went to Syracuse peer school.
Good luck to them both.

O'Brien better have assurances that BC is going to step way the hell up on the NIL front, or things aren't going to go so well.

If memory serves me correct he has a son with severe special needs. The constant moving like most coaches do can’t be good I wouldn’t think. I would guess long term stability for his family would be one of his goals not sure if BC would be that place to provide that.
Correct…he has a son that has special needs who has care in Boston area. It sounds like his family would stay there primarily even if he’s coaching at Ohio State due to the son’s situation. On top of that he’s from Boston and his wife went to BC so I could see him wanting to settle there.

Now whether he can recruit there is a whole another story…

Good luck to them both.

O'Brien better have assurances that BC is going to step way the hell up on the NIL front, or things aren't going to go so well.
The only assurance he needs is the direct deposit works for 5 years of checks to cash. All guaranteed.

He will be like Marrone at Syracuse. It’ll be bully ball football in a good way. he will dominate the New England prep recruits who want to play for a patriot coach. He knows the guys in place around the ISL and he was a prep guy too at St. John’s. BC hasn’t had a local yocal like this in years.

I think he’s below Coughlin success and above Marrone so prob a tom obrien run

Of course Syracuse and BC in 5 years could be extinct athletically too. But a rivalry blooming btw the Franimal and BOB could be fun

Keep an eye on Anthony Campanile. Was a co-DC for BC in 2018. Spent the past few years as Miami Dolphins linebackers coach. Dolphins just passed him over for their open DC job (and replaced him this morning as their LB coach and gave him the pink slip). He interviewed for the Giants DC job but didn't get it.

I could see Boston College looking at him as their next head coach. Have to then wonder if he hires his brother Nunzio Campanile away from us.

Keep an eye on Anthony Campanile. Was a co-DC for BC in 2018. Spent the past few years as Miami Dolphins linebackers coach. Dolphins just passed him over for their open DC job (and replaced him this morning as their LB coach and gave him the pink slip). He interviewed for the Giants DC job but didn't get it.

I could see Boston College looking at him as their next head coach. Have to then wonder if he hires his brother Nunzio Campanile away from us.
I think O'Brien is all but done, Marrone will most likely follow as well from what it sounds like.

BC will be better. I think that's the big takeaway with their hire.

A strong BC and a strong Syracuse is good for our survival and whatever comes of our next conference

BC will be better. I think that's the big takeaway with their hire.

A strong BC and a strong Syracuse is good for our survival and whatever comes of our next conference
Ther are no guarantees that either Syracuse or BC will get better. O'Brien and Marrone are two of the grumpier guys out there. I am sure they will be able to coach but recruiting is a totally different ball game these days. Syracuse just the opposite concerns.

Ther are no guarantees that either Syracuse or BC will get better. O'Brien and Marrone are two of the grumpier guys out there. I am sure they will be able to coach but recruiting is a totally different ball game these days. Syracuse just the opposite concerns.

Nothing is definite in this world but you can win with good coaching and mediocre recruiting. You can also win with mediocre coaching and good recruiting. I think if either program dips their toes into decent for coaching/recruiting they become very formidable. It's a contrast btw two sister schools now. We should want a nastier rivalry with BC. We literally have no football rivalry right now and that's not good for eyeballs.

I wonder if they know they have to take pictures while pointing at recruits, then posting on InstaSnapX

LOL nevermind he just signed with the Packers

I wonder if they know they have to take pictures while pointing at recruits, then posting on InstaSnapX
Seriously, if he gets hired, I bet he recruits 90% of his players from the portal.

He is too old to try and be hip or cool.

Seriously, if he gets hired, I bet he recruits 90% of his players from the portal.

He is too old to try and be hip or cool.
100%, just can't see it. It's a different game out there today and let's face it, it's right spot right time for him and BC. They both save face a bit but O'Brien hasn't been great at either one of his last couple stops. He could be solid there, could be Dan Henning at BC or Charlie Weiss type hire at Kansas. The level of energy, commitment, tolerance and patience it takes to be the head coach at a P4 school right now is crazy. You want to take the old school hardline approach to recruiting and coaching, well good luck with that.

BC wins with the hire, at least for the moment.

Correct…he has a son that has special needs who has care in Boston area. It sounds like his family would stay there primarily even if he’s coaching at Ohio State due to the son’s situation. On top of that he’s from Boston and his wife went to BC so I could see him wanting to settle there.

Now whether he can recruit there is a whole another story…
All of the means a guy like him would be smart to campaign for the BC job. Sounds ideal for his family needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom