Have any of you been tested yet? Anyone test positive? | Syracusefan.com

Have any of you been tested yet? Anyone test positive?

I would say its pretty good odds some people on here have it and just dont know it without any real symptoms. But being tested today doesnt mean you dont go to the store and get it tomorrow..

I do wonder though when i walk in and someone is hacking all over as they enter the store.

I would say its pretty good odds some people on here have it and just dont know it without any real symptoms. But being tested today doesnt mean you dont go to the store and get it tomorrow..

I do wonder though when i walk in and someone is hacking all over as they enter the store.
So, now we all have be quarantined??? Great. Just F ing great!

Yes, given the nature of this illness, it is VERY easy to have contracted it, and have it for multiple days, without any symptoms whatsoever.

And - many of those who do get sick have mild symptoms, so they still might not even know -
which means they still won't be requesting to be tested.

Lastly - there are so few tests available, period.
So, odds are, hardly anybody has actually been tested to date.

Yes, given the nature of this illness, it is VERY easy to have contracted it, and have it for multiple days, without any symptoms whatsoever.

And - many of those who do get sick have mild symptoms, so they still might not even know -
which means they still won't be requesting to be tested.

Lastly - there are so few tests available, period.
So, odds are, hardly anybody has actually been tested to date.
good points, all

And for those who are younger and don't get too excited about this crisis, think twice.

You can get it and not have any problem, but you just might pass it on to those of us who are a few decades older.

Just really blows my mind seeing the videos of thoughtless young people on the beaches in Florida.

And for those who are younger and don't get too excited about this crisis, think twice.

You can get it and not have any problem, but you just might pass it on to those of us who are a few decades older.

Just really blows my mind seeing the videos of thoughtless young people on the beaches in Florida.

Yep an 18 year old in the county right next to us in Kansas was added to our total today.

I get that they are in large groups, but shouldn’t the outdoors be a pretty safe place to be? Just keep your hands to yourself, don’t go rubbing your face, and I’d think they would be just as safe as walking around Walmart with, let’s just say, not the healthiest bunch of individuals the world has seen. I could be completely off base though. I’m in Daytona, and it’s basically business as usual here. Mildly worrisome that the town is full of people from all over for bike week, and spring break. There‘s a reason this city is high up on the list for STD’s, so I wouldn’t doubt that it’s being brought in from all over.

Here’s a harder question.

Is it responsible or irresponsible to get tested without symptoms right now?

with limited available testing and medical care available, our federal government’s left the average citizen questioning proactivity vs blind hope.

Do you get tested without symptoms to be proactive, to potentially test negative and contract it later that day? Or do you just do your best to be responsible and carry on?

Edit: being proactive I’ve decided means STAY HOME.

Son-law and daughter are both pediatric docs. SIL is Dutch and returned from a conference in Amsterdam two weeks ago just before the dam broke here. SIL was tested this am (no result yet) and daughter is being tested tomorrow am. Not worried about SIL but daughter has autoimmune disease and is therefore at a higher risk. Fingers crossed. Meanwhile my son and his girlfriend are holed up in their apartment in Brooklyn. My son, who is never nervous about anything, is a bit nervous about this.

with limited available testing and medical care available, our federal government’s left the average citizen questioning proactivity vs blind hope.

Do you get tested without symptoms to be proactive, to potentially test negative and contract it later that day? Or do you just do your best to be responsible and carry on?

I don't believe you can get tested unless you are showing symptoms or have a note from your doctor that you are in a high risk group. You can't just get in line and get tested.

Thought I would give an update from north of the border for comparison purposes. As of yesterday (according to a particular news source), Canada has apparently tested 34,000 individuals compared to "supposedly" 23,000 tests in the United States. Considering our population is 1/10th that of the U.S., these numbers are somewhat encouraging for us. I can only assume that we are also having the same difficulty in getting and executing the test kits. The latest numbers here are 556 cases with 5 deaths. Those case numbers have jumped significantly in the last couple of days.

I am in the very high risk category given my age (71) and the fact I have an existing respiratory condition. We are in the same "stay at home" scenario as everywhere else with the obvious exception of necessary services. I am essentially in lock down mode and venture into the public once a week to get my mail at our local, rural Post Office (usually nobody else around) and get some groceries. No visits with grandkids, no dinners out, etc. This sucker is scary, but I am confident in time we will get through it if we all do our part.

I don't believe you can get tested unless you are showing symptoms or have a note from your doctor that you are in a high risk group. You can't just get in line and get tested.
That's in line with CDC's testing criteria.

Son-law and daughter are both pediatric docs. SIL is Dutch and returned from a conference in Amsterdam two weeks ago just before the dam broke here. SIL was tested this am (no result yet) and daughter is being tested tomorrow am. Not worried about SIL but daughter has autoimmune disease and is therefore at a higher risk. Fingers crossed. Meanwhile my son and his girlfriend are holed up in their apartment in Brooklyn. My son, who is never nervous about anything, is a bit nervous about this.
here’s to those tests coming back good

Thought I would give an update from north of the border for comparison purposes. As of yesterday (according to a particular news source), Canada has apparently tested 34,000 individuals compared to "supposedly" 23,000 tests in the United States. Considering our population is 1/10th that of the U.S., these numbers are somewhat encouraging for us. I can only assume that we are also having the same difficulty in getting and executing the test kits. The latest numbers here are 556 cases with 5 deaths. Those case numbers have jumped significantly in the last couple of days.

I am in the very high risk category given my age (71) and the fact I have an existing respiratory condition. We are in the same "stay at home" scenario as everywhere else with the obvious exception of necessary services. I am essentially in lock down mode and venture into the public once a week to get my mail at our local, rural Post Office (usually nobody else around) and get some groceries. No visits with grandkids, no dinners out, etc. This sucker is scary, but I am confident in time we will get through it if we all do our part.

thanks for this Don, will be thinking of you

I get that they are in large groups, but shouldn’t the outdoors be a pretty safe place to be? Just keep your hands to yourself, don’t go rubbing your face, and I’d think they would be just as safe as walking around Walmart with, let’s just say, not the healthiest bunch of individuals the world has seen. I could be completely off base though. I’m in Daytona, and it’s basically business as usual here. Mildly worrisome that the town is full of people from all over for bike week, and spring break. There‘s a reason this city is high up on the list for STD’s, so I wouldn’t doubt that it’s being brought in from all over.
More than mildly worrisome, I'd say. A study reported by NPR says that the Coronavirus can survive on hard surfaces such as plastic and stainless steel for up to 72 hours and on cardboard for up to 24 hours. They can't be outdoors all the time. When they go inside, they're likely to touch doorknobs, elevator buttons, handrails, chair rails, counter tops and other hard surfaces. Are these people likely to wash their hands frequently? And it's not so easy to avoid touching your face. Many will wind up spreading the virus to other communities, to people who may be more vulnerable than themselves.

Touching.jpg

I have two work colleagues that have affirmatively tested positive. One in NYC (she lives in New Rochelle) and one in Chicago (got it from the other while visiting our NYC office).

Yeah, NewRo is like Ground Zero here on the east coast.

... and my partner at work spent the past weekend hanging out with his sister in Scarsdale, who lives < 1m outside of the "lockdown" areas of NewRo.

And he's in multiple high-risk categories - dunno WTFlock he was thinking??!!
Oh, the virus won't cross some imaginary line on a map?? :rolleyes:

Some people just don't get how serious this is.
And they're potentially making it worse. Much worse.

I just read a news report that 495 people were tested at the Pentagon and 37 of them were positive. I could not find any info on how they ended up with testing only 495 and how the 495 ended up being selected or whatever for testing. The scary thing is that this is about 7.5%. If this was entirely random, which I am sure it is not, that is a scary number. We absolutely need a much higher amount of Americans to be tested.

My parents are in Daytona as well for the winter but as they are Canadians, they have decided to come back tomorrow for health care availability concerns if something ever did happen to them (also apparently not clear if their travel health insurance covers a pandemic). Also concerned that some of the roads could potentially close next week back to the border.

They never really mind biker week, but said the kids were worse than normal this year.. they live a half block from the beach. Said they heard it was in part because schools are cancelled in Daytona -- maybe I heard wrong.

As requested by our government, not yet mandated, they will be doing a 14 day self quarantine immediately on their return and will head home directly from the border. Just did the shopping for them today so they are stocked on their return. They had about 50 rolls of TP already at home, so I figure they were good on that end!

Last edited:

I think getting tested right now without symptoms would not accomplish anything if you are self isolating for the most part.

If you can't self isolate (and some can't unfortunately) and get tested now, even if you are negative, it won't prove anything in a week.

How does the test feel, I heard is they stick a five inch long stick up your nose feeling like it penetrates your skull? :confused:

i'm not being facetious or trying to be funny with this question. I am high risk (over 70 with underlying conditions). What about golf? I usually play solo and am out in the open air. Need some exercise and get out of the house,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom