Help me understand why UNC is a more winnable game than Clemson | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Help me understand why UNC is a more winnable game than Clemson

Thing that scares me most is UNC is rested...and physically we got the $#^t kicked out of us.
Moye has been sacked 9 times//picked off 4 times in 4 games. Rocky should be able to figure out something. But will Beck??? Cuse needs 31 pts to have a shot.
Thought the team did very well on the injury front. Nothing season ending or long term from the looks of it and not a high volume.

Thought the team did very well on the injury front. Nothing season ending or long term from the looks of it and not a high volume.

I was a bit worried about it for the UNC game specifically. Just owies that might not be ready.

Seemed like a few guys disappeared on Saturday. Don't know if some were because of the level of their play though.

why is UNC a better offense.

Clem played Duke, SU
UNC has played?? Pitt I guess who is a mess.

They played 4 opponents the level of Purdue or better and then had a bye. I don't think we could paste South Carolina on a neutral field.

I think the question is matchups. Can Shrader do Shrader things better against UNC than he could against Clemson? How does our defense match up with UNC compared to Clemson? I think Clemson's QB is better than he's getting credit for. He made plays against us, so I don't think the difference between UNC's offense and Clemson's is necessarily that big. I don't think UNC's defense is as physical as Clemson's, so that should benefit us. UNC deserves to be favored, but I think the gap between us and them is smaller than us and Clemson. We need to play clean though or it won't matter.

Pitt is level with Purdue , not sure on that. They (UNC) had an impressive win against SC , They go OT with App State, Beat a hapless Pitt . If we don’t turn the ball over the Clemson game goes to the wire. We have to protect GS better, if we do we will be right there.

In Millhouse's awesomely dickish thread, numerous people commented on how we can expect a better performance against UNC. Admittedly, I haven't watched them, but for spurts here and there. They are ranked 14th in the country, which is better than Clemson was ranked when we played them.

So, what logic stimulates the 'we should feel better about this game' synapse?

Shouldn't this be an even bigger loss?

From a scoreboard perspective it has the potential and hallmarks to play out like last years Wake game. SU could get an early lead and O could look refreshed but UNC will likely be to much to keep up with over the course of 4 quarters as SU just doens't have the D line to challenge a guy like Maye as we struggled to pressure Klubnick for large portions of the game, Maye will feast on that.

For SU the key is to have minimal to no injuries and hope for the same the following week. Season really starts again at VaTech as SU without Oronde and Jones is gonna end up 4-3 after FSU.

I believe the thinking is that Clemson outclasses us from an athlete perspective at almost every position. UNC feels closer to Syracuse, at least athletically, so theoretically it's a little bit easier for us to matchup with them. If Appalachian State can take UNC to overtime, then surely we can beat them (I know App State is no pushover, but they lost to Wyoming and just beat Louisiana Monroe by 1 point). Looking forward to our gameplan against Maye. Hopefully it doesn't involve us sitting back on defense on third and long again so that he can pick us apart.

Well I'm talking about the upcoming UNC game...I know Barron and Villari were both dinged up and there is usually a few we don't know about who "don't make the trip". We don't know who can go and who doesn't until 10 minutes before game time.

Well I'm talking about the upcoming UNC game...I know Barron and Villari were both dinged up and there is usually a few we don't know about who "don't make the trip". We don't know who can go and who doesn't until 10 minutes before game time.

Wilson was also off the field for a while in the second half, I believe. Unless that was the Blue Lights making me see things.

Clemson didn’t beat us…. We beat ourselves .

I always hate this logic. We don’t know if the step up in competition caused some of our own mistakes and then we didn’t beat ourselves, the better competition than what we’ve faced caused those mistakes. But Clemson was the better team. They beat us.

vs Clemson -6.5
vs UNC -8.5
I don't think it's more winnable at all and neither do the odds makers. We're going to need some fitzmagic out of Shredder to even stand a chance.

Fine. UNC is worse all around. Their QB is average. I feel better already.

That South Carolina game (and Minny and App State) became ???

Awesome stuff.

UNC's defense, while better than last year, is not nearly as good as Clemson's.

Clemson has dudes that can wreck us single-handedly.

UNC won't be that big of a mismatch.
Agreed.

Not claiming the game is going to be easy, or that we're going to win, but I think this is a better matchup on paper.

Could be a little like purdue, where we might have an easier time stopping their offense than they do stopping ours.

But it remains to be seen whether we bounce back offensively.

If we rush three guys or don't get home on blitzes Maye is going to have a huge day. We should move the ball if Beck shows some balance.
I don’t want to see us rushing 3 and giving a very good QB all the time in the world.

Live and die with the blitzes and stents.

Drake Maye is going to be a top 10 pick. It's going to require a lot of points and probably UNC overlooking Syracuse because they got Miami the week after.

vs Clemson -6.5
vs UNC -8.5
I don't think it's more winnable at all and neither do the odds makers. We're going to need some fitzmagic out of Shredder to even stand a chance.
It’s a different kind of match up, one that favors SU in some ways.

The offense should be able to operate.

UNC has significant advantages, but not overwhelming.

It worried me we let the Clemson QB roll outside the pocket a lot and then he made a lot of good throws or ran at times. This was a big factor in the game.

The UNC QB is more mobile than Clemsons QB. If he can throw outside the pocket we’re in trouble. I already know he can run it, that will suck at times but we can adjust to that. I don’t think we can adjust to both though b/c we couldn’t adjust to Clemson QB doing it and I don’t think he’s at the same level outside the pocket.