History Repeating | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

History Repeating

NIL is a huge issue for Syracuse University

Wildhack keeps saying it's fine compared to our peers, but admits we're not at the level of the major programs.

So is he just in sell mode?

We are like 90-140 since he left. I loved P

Agreed. I can understand people looking back fondly on Coach P. I can understand people looking fondly back on Marrone. But I don’t care what happens in the future for Syracuse football - a decade from now, anyone looking back fondly on Dino’s years will need to be institutionalized and provided around the clock care.

The program is screwed with NIL and the portal. SU can’t compete in this new world.

Dino was not a good football coach.

A new and better coach may make things a bit better in the new and screwed world that SU football must now compete in.

With any luck, we win our early occ games and at least remain competitive with Wake, BC, maybe Pitt, which results in a yearly bowl game. That seems possible even in the world of screwed.

Seems to me that JW alluded to communication as one potential issue. I forget the exact language, but i get the sense we’ve lost some guys we could have kept And not just blamed it on portal/nil
Well, one of our OL commits said he hadn't heard from someone since September

I'm not asking daily calls but a weekly check in would be nice, even for five minutes

It’s going to take a special coach ( Mac like) to lift us out of this quagmire we are in. It’s up to ADJW to find that special person. I think
he’s capable , at least I hope he is, of giving us what we need.

But let’s hire the 7-4 Holy Cross coach!!!
Yeah because 7-4 has been his record every single year, and boy, how dare he lose a couple of paycheck games to FBS teams.

Dino sucked, we were sold a bill of goods with Orange is the New Fast, after three years that went away. That wasn’t NIL or the portal’s fault when they didn’t exist until 2 years ago. Plus, our peer schools with similar challenges all manage to be much more consistent bowl teams. He needed to go. We shouldn’t expect 10 win seasons but I’m sorry, in a meh conference like the ACC where you get to control 4 games on schedule and get to play a lot of mediocre ACC teams , we should be a perennial bowl team.

I hope I’m wrong about this, but I’m old enough to remember when P was fired people wanted him out, trashed him on the way out the door (as a coach, not a person) and faulted the program’s fall on him.

When Doug left - his decision - people acted like he was easily replaceable.

people ignored seemingly real issues that were developing under P and have continued since. In both cases, the next guy was way worse.

Hope history isn’t repeating itself here with Dino, considering when he raised alarm bells on NIL, people said it’s just the excuse machine. Maybe it gets better, maybe it doesn’t. But maybe we should listen to the guy and fix it instead of just churning the coaching carousel to the next guy.
Its not he was a poor coach. 2 winning seasons out of 8 is disgusting for the support and pay he got

He was a very likeable man. Honest, worked his azz off like no other. Had great success. Kids loved him. He cared. No question. Thankful for him. It was also past time for him to go
Did the kids love him. I haven't seen much in the way of support from the current players since he was let go. Now i don't follow that stuff so maybe it's out there but i haven't seen or heard anything. What is your relationship with the team to know that he was loved?

Yeah because 7-4 has been his record every single year, and boy, how dare he lose a couple of paycheck games to FBS teams.

Dino sucked, we were sold a bill of goods with Orange is the New Fast, after three years that went away. That wasn’t NIL or the portal’s fault when they didn’t exist until 2 years ago. Plus, our peer schools with similar challenges all manage to be much more consistent bowl teams. He needed to go. We shouldn’t expect 10 win seasons but I’m sorry, in a meh conference like the ACC where you get to control 4 games on schedule and get to play a lot of mediocre ACC teams , we should be a perennial bowl team.
^^^Thank you. No one here expects 10 win seasons, we just want 7-8 reg season somewhat consistently, and dino never was gonna deliver on that

Someone above touched on it.

I'm not going to pretend to know how engaged or inspiring Dino was in securing NIL funding.

All I know is that whomever is hired next really needs to reach the small donors to help fill in the gaps while being able to secure those big dollar NIL donors too

There needs to be an infusion of energy

I hope I’m wrong about this, but I’m old enough to remember when P was fired people wanted him out, trashed him on the way out the door (as a coach, not a person) and faulted the program’s fall on him.

When Doug left - his decision - people acted like he was easily replaceable.

people ignored seemingly real issues that were developing under P and have continued since. In both cases, the next guy was way worse.

Hope history isn’t repeating itself here with Dino, considering when he raised alarm bells on NIL, people said it’s just the excuse machine. Maybe it gets better, maybe it doesn’t. But maybe we should listen to the guy and fix it instead of just churning the coaching carousel to the next guy.
Dino was campaigning for himself vs being realistic. I know the facts. He’s just wrong. He was in it for himself.

NIL is a huge issue for Syracuse University
It’s an issue for every school. Syracuse can be competitive with peer schools. But it takes some donors stepping up, grassroots efforts and businesses supporting the only game in town. It can be fixed. I’m sick of defeatist attitudes in this town. We’re well situated for NIL in near term. But if every complainer stepped up, we’d be better situated.

10-20k donors at 10-25/month makes a big difference on top of the big donors.

I really am sick of everyone saying no instead of saying why not.

I wanted Dino to succeed so badly, but as a GameDay and x & O's coach he was terrible. With an NFL caliber QB, LT and RB on the roster he couldn't scheme the team to .500 season . His GameDay decisions cost the team a chance at victory minimum 2 games a year. I'm not worried about changing things because no one could honestly be happy with 4-7 wins a year every year and that's Dino's ceiling

We are like 90-140 since he left. I loved P
We all did Marsh. He still left meat on the bone at the time. Would every single one of us go back to that level of winning, absolutely, but things were trending way down and none of us saw the future disaster that Grob was. Hindsight is 20/20 but it was the right move at the time. Grob getting hired, not so much.

Did the kids love him. I haven't seen much in the way of support from the current players since he was let go. Now i don't follow that stuff so maybe it's out there but i haven't seen or heard anything. What is your relationship with the team to know that he was loved?
They did indeed. I remember talking to scott freeny, dana cottrells parents in late 90s, he was loved. I have a good friend I work with ev day who was a senior captain in mid 90s (i dont work in fb, never have, to be sure, but he now runs the fb at the high school I teach at )..p was very liked by his players, very. He needed to go, I wanted him out at the end too badly, but from my links he was well liked

At HOLY CROSS
So your answer is that we made a mistake by firing Dino. The guy didn't get the job done. That is the bottom line in a bottom line business. It would hard to doa worse job than he did. Check the record. Could we do worse? We have with G-rob. but it isn't likely. And the answer for sure isn't not to try and do better.

Wildhack keeps saying it's fine compared to our peers, but admits we're not at the level of the major programs.

So is he just in sell mode?
I am skeptical.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom