hmmm... UConn deserve another look? | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

hmmm... UConn deserve another look?

Enjoy being like the next Gonzaga, Butler, etc...good & proud programs no doubt, but still a step below the P5.
Don't kid yourself, UConn needs to get into a P5 conference to remain viable, long term. Fyi- my nephew is a UConn alum & he certainly sees the writing on the wall, if the status quo remains the same.
Hug and kiss your accomplishments, you deserve them...but the big picture hasn't changed. Enjoy the AACk!

We have as many NC game wins as Gonzaga has sweet 16 wins.

The state just approved a 1.5 billion expansion of UCONN that will include "Increasing total enrollment by 6,580, or about 30 percent. Of those, almost 3,300 will be STEM students, including 70 percent more engineering students." Gonzaga has a total enrollment of 7700.

UCONN NBA players are approaching 1 billion in salary combined.

Comparing UCONN and Gonzaga is just silly. Completely different missions and institutions.

Since "losing" CR to BCU, UCONN has been to a BCS Bowl Game, 4 FF's and won 3 National Championships. BCU has been able to hang a banner every time they cash an ACC check, I suppose.

There is an urgency that CR is bringing to UCONN. Geno just publically told women BB fans to support football. Our president hired super-fund raiser. Burton hired a CR person. PP got fired in 2.5 years vs. 4 years of GROB or Spaziano. UCONN is paying Diaco about double what RU is paying Flood. Our BB facility is going to be mind blowing. We got more fans to our spring game coming off a 3 win season than our local peers did off bowl seasons. We are joining hockey east next year, hired a top coach and are looking at building a kick butt on campus facility. Our field hockey team just won another national championship.

Losing CR has shaken off complacency in every part of the athletic department.

The state just approved a 1.5 billion expansion o that will include "Increasing total enrollment by 6,580, or about 30 percent. Of those, almost 3,300 will be STEM students, including 70 percent more engineering students." Gonzaga has a total enrollment of 7700.

Comparing UCONN and Gonzaga is just silly. Completely different missions and institutions.

Since "losing" CR to BCU, UCONN has been to a BCS Bowl Game, 4 FF's and won 3 National Championships. BCU has been able to hang a banner every time they cash an ACC check, I suppose.

There is an urgency that CR is bringing to UCONN. Geno just publically told women BB fans to support football. Our president hired super-fund raiser. Burton hired a CR person. PP got fired in 2.5 years vs. 4 years of GROB or Spaziano. UCONN is paying Diaco about double what RU is paying Flood. Our BB facility is going to be mind blowing. We got more fans to our spring game coming off a 3 win season than our local peers did off bowl seasons. We are joining hockey east next year, hired a top coach and are looking at building a kick butt on campus facility. Our field hockey team just won another national championship.

And not a single F was given that day.

The state just approved a 1.5 billion expansion o that will include "Increasing total enrollment by 6,580, or about 30 percent. Of those, almost 3,300 will be STEM students, including 70 percent more engineering students." Gonzaga has a total enrollment of 7700.

Inspiring. Too little too late though.

CR is DEAD for the foreseeable future. Good god you refuse to acknowledge this. I realize facing reality is tough, but the B1G and ACC are done expanding right now. The Big XII is the only P5 conference that could be looking to expand. UConn's location hurts them with the Big XII. You seem to think the B1G invitation is coming. When their new TV contract is signed in late 2015 or early 2016 their won't be 2 viable candidates for the B1G to consider. The B1G chose the cable boxes of NJ over the top 10 basketball brand UConn. If you are going to come back on this board and keep talking about UConn LOOK AT REALITY. The ACC hates your school because of Dick Blumenthal and the fact Florida State and Clemson hated your FB history. WCBB is WORTHLESS in CR. Congrats you have a dynasty in women's basketball. In conference realignment UConn women's basketball is the piece of parsley nobody eats next to a nice piece of meat. It is a decoration that is great if you have, but HAS ZERO IMPACT.

Your basketball program will be fine, but UConn football is on life support in the AAC. No more welfare being in a BCS league you did nothing to deserve to be in anymore. UConn football has to earn its survival like all the schools have had to in the past.

Otto'd said:
Actually for me, I would rather have the NC's than conference financial security. I mean seriously, is this what we hang our hat on as a program now? "Financial security through conference afilliation"? That really sounds kinda lame. Give me wins and titles. Thats what I care about as a Syracuse fan. CR stuff bores me. The thought of winning NC's excites me. I wish we had Uconn's post season resume.

Short term gratification. Yes the NC is nice, but it's only been 1 year that they have been a mid major. Give it time where the P5 AD's are getting $20-$30M and they are getting pennies. That can only be sustained for so long.

moqui said:
the fact that husky fans have to desperately troll a former rivals' fan board to make their case tells you that even they know their future is bleak without P5 membership

It is pretty sad isn't it?

And not a single F was given that day.

Right? Why does he post here? We don't care! I don't mind throwing Uconn credit bones (see my post above) when warranted, but that is me talking with other Orange fans. I certainly don't need a boneyard tool over here trying to point out Uconn crap, even if there are valid points (and some of these guys points are valid, but some are idiotic) and smacks of "look at me" desparation. Why does he think we care?

And personally I don't mind a little back and forth between opposing fan bases, it can be fun, but this guy shows up every time the convicts are mentioned. I think he posts over here more than he does on the boneyard.

Short term gratification. Yes the NC is nice, but it's only been 1 year that they have been a mid major. Give it time where the P5 AD's are getting $20-$30M and they are getting pennies. That can only be sustained for so long.

Yeah, agreed.

No one can take away the 4 titles/16 years. Good for them. I may not see 4 titles in my lifetime.

But the fact of the matter is that barring an inclusion into the P5 (or whatever break away from what know the NCAA as it stands now), UConn will begin lagging in financial resources, exposure, etc.

It may not be next year, it may not even be within five years. But I would be surprised if 10 years from now, barring an inclusion into the power grouping, that UConn is still competing at this level. You can't continue to truly compete when the discrepancy in revenue and resources is going to continue to expand between the P5 and the have nots.

Again, congrats to them for the success in the last two decades. Makes me angry, but that's life.

UConn is a classic land-grant Big 10 university. It has an agricultural school, a medical school, a dental school, a law school, a business school and a school of education -- just like many of the Big 10 schools. No ACC school comes close to having all of that

cto said:
UConn is a classic land-grant Big 10 university. It has an agricultural school, a medical school, a dental school, a law school, a business school and a school of education -- just like many of the Big 10 schools. No ACC school comes close to having all of that
Not sure what land grant is but unc, UVA, nd don't have those?

Average enrollment at B1G schools is over 40,000..UConn isn't even close to that.

That is true, but they aren't an aau school, and their football program is terrible right now.

If U-Conn had entered Division 1 Football a lot earlier than 1998 then they could have more history than just the little they have. UConn will likely become an AAU member in the future, but their FB brand is horrible and their state is low population. The B1G in expanding has gone for either elite FB brand(Penn State 1990, Nebraska 2011) or teams with in connection to elite markets (Maryland, Washington D.C., Baltimore TV markets and Rutgers, New York City, New Jersey TV markets 2014)

UConn wouldn't fit in the first category and if the B1G valued UConn over Rutgers they would have taken in 2012. If then CT AG now Sen. Richard Blumenthal never named Donna Shalala, Fr. Leahy, John Swofford and others individually in the original Big East lawsuit against the ACC in 2003 it is likely UConn is the ACC by now. Blumenthal hurt UConn's chances with the ACC.

I don't knOw when the best time is to brag about winning conference ree alignment... but I don't think it's two weeks after uconn wins the title.

I don't knOw when the best time is to brag about winning conference ree alignment... but I don't think it's two weeks after uconn wins the title.
I am not bragging I am sick of our U-Conn friend ignoring the facts about CR. I have said numerous times UConn basketball is fine and will continue to be elite for the foreseeable future. I am just sick of the other crap when its obvious their football program is going to be destroyed without P5 membership. Diaco could make them plucky for a year, but that FB program would become nothing more than mid-major jumping stone job. Without being in a P5 league all the other FB programs will have no margin for error.

I am not bragging I am sick of our U-Conn friend ignoring the facts about CR. I have said numerous times UConn basketball is fine and will continue to be elite for the foreseeable future. I am just sick of the other crap when its obvious their football program is going to be destroyed without P5 membership. Diaco could make them plucky for a year, but that FB program would become nothing more than mid-major jumping stone job. Without being in a P5 league all the other FB programs will have no margin for error.

I don't know why you indulge him...he's just going to troll you.

Why don't we just have a "The UConn all-inclusive LOOK-AT-ME LOOK-AT-ME thread" like we have 'The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread'? It would sure save a lot of swipes/mouse clicks...

Not sure what land grant is but unc, UVA, nd don't have those?

Land Grant means set up to be the agricultural school in the state. In Virginia, Virginia Tech is the land grant university. In North Carolina it is NC State. I believe it is Cornell in New York.

UVA has all of the things on that list that UConn has except agricultural. I imagine that Connecticut has all of these things in one public university because of the size of the state where Virginia divided these responsibilities into two universities. Plus UVA was founded before land grant.

Legitimate question - if that is the resume UConn has, and it aligns with the B1G to that extent, how did Rutgers get an invite over UConn?

Maybe no ACC team has all of that, but clearly there are ACC teams that would be more coveted by the B1G than UConn would be. I mean, no way B1G is turning down UNC or UVa, correct over UConn if it has a choice, right?

Legitimate question - if that is the resume UConn has, and it aligns with the B1G to that extent, how did Rutgers get an invite over UConn?

Maybe no ACC team has all of that, but clearly there are ACC teams that would be more coveted by the B1G than UConn would be. I mean, no way B1G is turning down UNC or UVa, correct over UConn if it has a choice, right?

Word is that both UNC and UVA have turned down the B1G indicating that its not all about money. Clearly, either or both would be much more appealing than UCONN but neither is a good cultural fit.

Boy, you get lost a lot.

I never claimed the death of the UConn basketball, the return has been very impressive. I'm just saying that there isn't some huge battle going on between the B1g and ACC to grab UConn. Many UConn fans seem to believe they're going to get two invites and are going to be able to stick it to the ACC and run off to the B1g. It's a nice fantasy but the ACC is a much more realistic destination.

Even if both offers came in at the same time...the ACC fits UConn much better than the B1G.

Even if both offers came in at the same time...the ACC fits UConn much better than the B1G.

If the offers came in at the same time, there is no doubt UCONN would pick the B1G.

UCONN is more like Penn St and Rutgers than SU & BC

If the offers came in at the same time, there is no doubt UCONN would pick the B1G.

UCONN is more like Penn St and Rutgers than SU & BC
Yeah just like I should go out with Scarlett Johansson over Anne Hathaway. We can all fantasize all we want if the B1G wanted UConn they would be members now. UConn fans act like the B1G is on the horizon unlike the previous expansion when Rutgers was always mentioned back in 2010 when the B1G just added Nebraska. UConn isn't going to the B1G because as I have said the ACC and Big XII have GORs, Mizzou won't leave the SEC and their isn't another viable team to get the B1G enough money to feed 16 members with a 2nd addition other than UConn that it will with 14 members.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom