Holy smokes, somebody's got some 'splaining to do. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Holy smokes, somebody's got some 'splaining to do.

Hunt has the poise to change a play, look off a receiver, or tuck it under his arm and run, a real read option offense QB. He will have some growing pains, but will be a great college QB by the time he leaves.

Hunt has the poise to change a play, look off a receiver, or tuck it under his arm and run, a real read option offense QB. He will have some growing pains, but will be a great college QB by the time he leaves.

That's exactly what I saw - Poise. I was disappointed to hear Allen complaining to a receiver that he ran the wrong route again today. Not the kind of leader this offense needs this year w/ a new system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m/

The kids wouldn't tank for Allen to make Hunt look good, would they?

I can't imagine.

We've all seem this before, when a team starts firing in all phases when a new QB comes in, even in areas that are independent of who's playing behind center and shouldn't necessarily improve.

The kids wouldn't tank for Allen to make Hunt look good, would they?

I'm hearing McEnroe in my head after that comment. Hey, it wouldn't be the first time that a more physically talented player was displaced by someone who just had a better feel for the game (Brady vs. Henson, for example). And I suppose his teammates can sense that too. Hard not to get a little down and have less drive out there when your QB is constantly throwing INTs or leading you to 3 and outs. Like in most sports, confidence matters alot in this game.

Last edited:
During Allen's 3 series all the inside runs were being stuffed. With Hunt we're ripping off 5-8 yards. With Allen we missed several passes. With Hunt we're either making completions or he's running.

Totally different execution from what seems to be similar plays.

This isn't a defense of Allen nor not to say Hunt didn't look great. But those first 3 series the runs were sans Smith for some reason and then Hunt comes in and it's all Smith. As to the routes, I didn't see any seam or crossing routes those first 3 series like I did after that. It's like we have 2 different offenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would put Allen back in soon. Hunt is clearly our guy now without question, but I think putting in Allen would be a good idea to get his confidence back up (we always need a viable backup), and to not risk injury to Hunt.

I would put Allen back in soon. Hunt is clearly our guy now without question, but I think putting in Allen would be a good idea to get his confidence back up (we always need a viable backup), and to not risk injury to Hunt.
I missed the first 4 minutes of 2nd half. Hope they shut Rome down.

One caveat is that the QB is not ever hit in practice. Once they go near QB1 the play is dead. No improvisation occurs in practice. That being said, Terell still looks much more comfortable running the team. His arm is weaker in tight windows but I could care less. No tractor beam eyes. Sold. Guarantee Bud's headline tomorrow is "The Hunt for Syracuse's Starting Quarterback is Over". Guaranteed.

This isn't a defense of Allen nor not to say Hunt didn't look great. But those first 3 series the runs were sans Smith for some reason and then Hunt comes in and it's all Smith. As to the routes, I didn't see any seam or crossing routes those first 3 series like I did after that. It's like we have 2 different offenses.

Are you sure? I coulda swore Smith got a couple carries. We didn't make a first down so there weren't a ton of plays to be run.

On the routes, who knows at this point. A couple times Allen was totally locked in on one guy. Who knows what other routes were being run? Maybe the play calling looks better because Hunt actually sees the field?

Are you sure? I coulda swore Smith got a couple carries. We didn't make a first down so there weren't a ton of plays to be run.

Yes, he did. He's the starter. He started the game out there.

there is no question the play calling was different when Hunt came in, Allen was throwing wide bubble screens and outs, Hunt had seem passes and a heavy dose of Smith, But when the first option wasn't there Hunt adjusted and made plays and Allen did not, im not sure why the difference in play calling but it worked

Yes, he did. He's the starter. He started the game out there.

Just looked, he got a carry on the 2nd play of the game. 1 yard.

On the routes, who knows at this point. A couple times Allen was totally locked in on one guy. Who knows what other routes were being run? Maybe the play calling looks better because Hunt actually sees the field?

Maybe he did and I blinked. But you knew he was getting it after that.

Syracuse at 14:55
1st and 10 at SYR 19 Drew Allen pass complete to Ashton Broyld for no gain to the Syrac 19.00
2nd and 10 at SYR 19 Jerome Smith rush for 1 yard to the Syrac 20.
3rd and 9 at SYR 20 Drew Allen pass incomplete to Jarrod West.
4th and 9 at SYR 20 Riley Dixon punt for 66 yards, downed at the Wagn 14.
DRIVE TOTALS: SYRACUSE drive: 3 plays 1 yards, 01:11 SYRACUSE PUNT

1st and 10 at WAG 18 Drew Allen pass incomplete.
2nd and 10 at WAG 18 George Morris II rush for 1 yard to the Wagn 17.
3rd and 9 at WAG 17 Drew Allen pass incomplete to Jarrod West.
4th and 9 at WAG 17 Ryan Norton 34 yard field goal GOOD.03
DRIVE TOTALS: SYRACUSE drive: 4 plays 1 yards, 00:44 SYRACUSE FG

1st and 10 at SYR 47 Drew Allen pass complete to Ashton Broyld for 3 yards to the Syrac 44.03
2nd and 7 at SYR 44 Prince-Tyson Gulley rush for 4 yards to the Syrac 48.
3rd and 3 at SYR 48 Drew Allen pass complete to Prince-Tyson Gulley for a loss of 4 yards to the Syrac 44.
4th and 7 at SYR 44 Riley Dixon punt for 35 yards, punt out-of-bounds at the Wagn 21.
DRIVE TOTALS: SYRACUSE drive: 3 plays 3 yards, 01:20 SYRACUSE PUNT

One caveat is that the QB is not ever hit in practice. Once they go near QB1 the play is dead. No improvisation occurs in practice. That being said, Terell still looks much more comfortable running the team. His arm is weaker in tight windows but I could care less. No tractor beam eyes. Sold. Guarantee Bud's headline tomorrow is "The Hunt for Syracuse's Starting Quarterback is Over". Guaranteed.
Also, the SU defense knows every play the SU offense runs.

We do. One that works and one that doesn't.

i asked this in the other thread but how cant you ask that question?

Oh, you can ask that question but it doesn't mean you should. Just crazy to think that. I guess Chris Clark never got the memo with that last TD pass.

It is completely absurd. Hunt just looks so much more comfortable with the offense. He checks down better, he runs better (I don't care who's faster). This is his team now - and pretty much should be until he graduates.
Obviously Hunt is a better fit for the offense & that was apparent last week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom