Houston and Booking through SU questions... | Syracusefan.com

Houston and Booking through SU questions...

Forza Azzurri

All American
No, not getting ahead of myself...just trying to figure out what to do IF we get it done tomorrow.

I have never booked any of our regional or final four trips through SU.

If you book through SU, do you stay at the same hotel as the team? My son is now 12 and I thought that might be a cool experience for him.

Although we didn't stay at team hotel in '03, I remember going over there and it being pretty cool with both coaches and players being accessible and tons of orange everywhere.

If not, and I end up booking on my own, can a board denizen who lives/knows Houston give some recommendations on where to stay?

Important is nice hotel within walking distance of good restaurants. Does that mean the downtown area?

Does one have to drive to stadium from downtown or is there public transportation?

Any Houston info appreciated...Thanks.

The games are at NRG stadium (aka Reliant Stadium). This is quite a distance from downtown. You would be closer in Galleria/Uptown area, but it looks like the nexus of events and stuff is at Discovery Green and the George R. Brown convention center, both of which are downtown. Also a plus of downtown is the baseball and basketball stadium are there (Astros and Rockets) and there are bars/restaurants near there. The Astros play the Yankees on the Monday afternoon of the National Championship game but unfortunately it is an away game - that would have been cool. The Rockets play OKC on Sunday 4/3 which might be a cool experience to take in on the off day.

There is a metrorail line that travels between downtown and the stadium where the Final Four is so you can probably get away without a car. Houston isn't really a walking city but I know there is some walkable stuff within range of hotels both downtown and Galleria. I just don't know a tremendous amount about the quality or options down there. I'm not much help in the walking ideas because I live more in the suburbs and generally the idea of trying to walk anywhere is sort of preposterous to me. For some perspective, the metro area of Houston covers a land area bigger than the state of Rhode Island.

The games are at NRG stadium (aka Reliant Stadium). This is quite a distance from downtown. You would be closer in Galleria/Uptown area, but it looks like the nexus of events and stuff is at Discovery Green and the George R. Brown convention center, both of which are downtown. Also a plus of downtown is the baseball and basketball stadium are there (Astros and Rockets) and there are bars/restaurants near there. The Astros play the Yankees on the Monday afternoon of the National Championship game but unfortunately it is an away game - that would have been cool. The Rockets play OKC on Sunday 4/3 which might be a cool experience to take in on the off day.

There is a metrorail line that travels between downtown and the stadium where the Final Four is so you can probably get away without a car. Houston isn't really a walking city but I know there is some walkable stuff within range of hotels both downtown and Galleria. I just don't know a tremendous amount about the quality or options down there. I'm not much help in the walking ideas because I live more in the suburbs and generally the idea of trying to walk anywhere is sort of preposterous to me. For some perspective, the metro area of Houston covers a land area bigger than the state of Rhode Island.

Thanks for responding...

Rockets/OKC is awesome idea...also looks like Space Museum, Natural Science museum and the battleship Texas are good options.

Some cities you don't drive (NYC, Boston, Philly, DC,)..some you do (LA)...looks like renting a car is important...

And looks like a bunch of good hotels and restaurants in downtown area...thanks for info...

Now the team just needs to do its part...

Yeah, if you plan to do anything like NASA, battleship TX, etc then car is 100% mandatory. It's about 30 miles from downtown to NASA Johnson Space Center, for example. Natural Science Museum and Houston Zoo you could do without a car. Big water park nearby too in Galveston if your boy would like that. Beaches also in Galveston but frankly it is no Florida, I don't recommend the beach unless you are a beach junky.

I'll try to answer any other questions anyone has if you want to post them here.

Email from SU:

The Syracuse University Men's Basketball team is in the Elite Eight! Should the Orange advance to the 2016 NCAA DI Men's Basketball Final Four in Houston, Texas, please read the following ticket information.

Syracuse University ticket, hotel and travel packages will be exclusively handled by Anthony Travel. No package sales will take place at the Carrier Dome Box Office or its phone lines. All tickets will be picked up at the Final Four Site in Houston (details will be provided in purchase confirmation email). Seating allocation will be by 2014-15 Athletic donation level, then date and time ordered. All tickets packages include the two semi-final games on Saturday, April 2 and the Championship game on Monday, April 4.

Should Syracuse Men's Basketball advance, you will be emailed specific ordering information immediately after the game:

Sunday March 27, 9:30 pm until Monday, March 28 at 10:00 am:Syracuse University Trustees and Premium Athletics Donors at a 2014-15 Athletics donation level of $5,000 and upwill have access to order ticket/hotel and travel packages during this time period. There is a limit of six (6) tickets per account. Each purchase of 1-4 tickets requires the purchase of a minimum of one hotel package - which is one room with a four (4) night minimum. If you haven’t placed your order by Monday at 10:00 am, you may call Anthony Travel at (855) 665-3290 for further assistance.

Please note that seating assignments will be done to assign each patron at least two (2) prime seat allocations and then additional seats in other locations. You will need to decide if you want all members of your party to sit together which may impact your seat location.

Monday, March 28, 1:00 pm - 10:00 pm:Current Men’s basketball season ticket holders and 2014-15 Athletics donors of$44 - $4,999 will have access to order ticket/hotel and travel packages during this time period. There is a limit of four (4) tickets per account. Each purchase of 1-2 tickets requires the purchase of a minimum of one hotel package - which is one room with a four (4) night minimum.

General Public sale Tuesday, March 29, 10:00 am - 5:00 pm(patrons from the groups mentioned above can purchase additional tickets at this time.)

The General Public will have access to order ticket/hotel and travel packages during this Tuesday time period. There is a limit of two (2) tickets per account. Each purchase of 1-2 tickets requires the purchase of a minimum of one hotel package - which is one room with a four (4) night minimum.

If any tickets still remain, they will be sold, with no hotel package requirement, starting on Wednesday, March 30 at 10:00 am in person or by phone at the Carrier Dome Box Office.

Anthony TravelAnthony Travel is the Official Travel Provider for the Syracuse University Final Four® Tour. Travel packages will include hotel accommodations, game tickets, daily shuttle service, Houston transfers (with air purchase), an exclusive pre-game party, commemorative program, admission to the Final Four Fan Fest, commemorative souvenir and much more! Anthony Travel is your one-stop shop for all your travel needs including airfare, car and van rentals, and travel insurance.

Frequently Asked Questions for Men's Final Four:

What nights do hotel packages include? Hotel packages are a four (4) night minimum - nights of Friday, April 1 - Monday, April 4.

Can I buy just tickets? Tickets will be offered only if available, after all hotel/ticket package orders are filled.

What if I want to buy more packages than offered with my unique Access Number? Additional ticket packages can be ordered during the public sale period.

Is the Internet the only way to order tickets? No. Packages can be ordered via the Anthony Travel number given above. Phone calls are answered in the order received and posted at the confirmed time, thus the Internet may be the most expedient way to order.

How do I pay? A credit card is required for all sales. Your card will be charged at checkout. Credit card sales via the Internet are made via a secured transaction system for your security.

Can I cancel my order once confirmed? No. All sales are final.

What airfare will be offered? Air travel will be charter jet or commercial airlines originating in Syracuse dependent on fan demand. A minimum number of travelers are required to confirm charter travel.

What are the travel dates? Air travel will depart on Friday, April 1 and leave Houston on Tuesday, April 5.

Yeah, if you plan to do anything like NASA, battleship TX, etc then car is 100% mandatory. It's about 30 miles from downtown to NASA Johnson Space Center, for example. Natural Science Museum and Houston Zoo you could do without a car. Big water park nearby too in Galveston if your boy would like that. Beaches also in Galveston but frankly it is no Florida, I don't recommend the beach unless you are a beach junky.

I'll try to answer any other questions anyone has if you want to post them here.
Forza, HC's spot on with his comments about Houston. My wife grew up in the area and went to Rice, so while I call Austin home, I've visited it more than any other city that I haven't actually lived in.

Lots of stuff to do in Houston. Energy industry money has enabled world-class philanthropy--leading to some very nice museums. The art museums and the natural science museum are all top notch. The city has done a very good job with its parks, so Memorial Park, Buffalo Bayou, and the Bayou Bend Gardens could be worth a visit. I know you live close enough to big-city shopping if you want it, but the Galleria's a pretty amazing shopping/dining/staying experience (and there's a good hole-in-the-wall Chinese joint nearby). NASA's a pretty significant trip, but it and the much-more-centrally-located zoo are both worth the trip. I don't know if you and the family are interested in colleges at this stage, but Rice is top-tier and has a gorgeous urban campus, is very walkable, and features a very cool Skyspace installation that you can't find in a lot of places: http://skyspace.rice.edu/about-skyspace/.

As for the team hotel experience, I was profoundly lucky to get a room at the one in Atlanta a few years ago. Was able to see and visit with some of the current and former players as a result, as well as a happy hour with lots of the coaching staff. Hard to overstate how enjoyable that kind of access was. I'm still extremely grateful for that experience and would recommend it highly.

Also agree with HC about Galveston. Probably not worth that long of a journey.

Depending on how many total transfers you might need, you could consider cabs or Uber/Lyft. As for this particular venue, I've been to Houston for the FF and other big sporting events, and this stadium is relatively out in the middle of nowhere (south side of the city, just inside the loop), with loads of parking all around. Houston has its share of traffic issues, and it's a vast, sprawling city--but I've found it to be very parking-friendly. On balance, I'd advise you to rent a car.

If this trip comes closer to becoming a reality, I'll be very happy to offer some more ideas. We'll hook you up with some good barbecue and other dining options. Here's hoping you and I both have the chance to catch up in person in H-Town!

OrangeXtreme said:
Email from SU: The Syracuse University Men's Basketball team is in the Elite Eight! Should the Orange advance to the 2016 NCAA DI Men's Basketball Final Four in Houston, Texas, please read the following ticket information. Syracuse University ticket, hotel and travel packages will be exclusively handled by Anthony Travel. No package sales will take place at the Carrier Dome Box Office or its phone lines. All tickets will be picked up at the Final Four Site in Houston (details will be provided in purchase confirmation email). Seating allocation will be by 2014-15 Athletic donation level, then date and time ordered. All tickets packages include the two semi-final games on Saturday, April 2 and the Championship game on Monday, April 4. Should Syracuse Men's Basketball advance, you will be emailed specific ordering information immediately after the game: Sunday March 27, 9:30 pm until Monday, March 28 at 10:00 am:Syracuse University Trustees and Premium Athletics Donors at a 2014-15 Athletics donation level of $5,000 and upwill have access to order ticket/hotel and travel packages during this time period. There is a limit of six (6) tickets per account. Each purchase of 1-4 tickets requires the purchase of a minimum of one hotel package - which is one room with a four (4) night minimum. If you haven’t placed your order by Monday at 10:00 am, you may call Anthony Travel at (855) 665-3290 for further assistance. Please note that seating assignments will be done to assign each patron at least two (2) prime seat allocations and then additional seats in other locations. You will need to decide if you want all members of your party to sit together which may impact your seat location. Monday, March 28, 1:00 pm - 10:00 pm:Current Men’s basketball season ticket holders and 2014-15 Athletics donors of$44 - $4,999 will have access to order ticket/hotel and travel packages during this time period. There is a limit of four (4) tickets per account. Each purchase of 1-2 tickets requires the purchase of a minimum of one hotel package - which is one room with a four (4) night minimum. General Public sale Tuesday, March 29, 10:00 am - 5:00 pm(patrons from the groups mentioned above can purchase additional tickets at this time.) The General Public will have access to order ticket/hotel and travel packages during this Tuesday time period. There is a limit of two (2) tickets per account. Each purchase of 1-2 tickets requires the purchase of a minimum of one hotel package - which is one room with a four (4) night minimum. If any tickets still remain, they will be sold, with no hotel package requirement, starting on Wednesday, March 30 at 10:00 am in person or by phone at the Carrier Dome Box Office. Anthony TravelAnthony Travel is the Official Travel Provider for the Syracuse University Final Four® Tour. Travel packages will include hotel accommodations, game tickets, daily shuttle service, Houston transfers (with air purchase), an exclusive pre-game party, commemorative program, admission to the Final Four Fan Fest, commemorative souvenir and much more! Anthony Travel is your one-stop shop for all your travel needs including airfare, car and van rentals, and travel insurance. Frequently Asked Questions for Men's Final Four: What nights do hotel packages include? Hotel packages are a four (4) night minimum - nights of Friday, April 1 - Monday, April 4. Can I buy just tickets? Tickets will be offered only if available, after all hotel/ticket package orders are filled. What if I want to buy more packages than offered with my unique Access Number? Additional ticket packages can be ordered during the public sale period. Is the Internet the only way to order tickets? No. Packages can be ordered via the Anthony Travel number given above. Phone calls are answered in the order received and posted at the confirmed time, thus the Internet may be the most expedient way to order. How do I pay? A credit card is required for all sales. Your card will be charged at checkout. Credit card sales via the Internet are made via a secured transaction system for your security. Can I cancel my order once confirmed? No. All sales are final. What airfare will be offered? Air travel will be charter jet or commercial airlines originating in Syracuse dependent on fan demand. A minimum number of travelers are required to confirm charter travel. What are the travel dates? Air travel will depart on Friday, April 1 and leave Houston on Tuesday, April 5.

Prepare to be boned. I don't know why SU has to sell a tix/hotel package only and go through a travel agent.

Prepare to be boned. I don't know why SU has to sell a tix/hotel package only and go through a travel agent.

Maybe because the NCAA has a deal with Anthony Travel to be their exclusive broker?

I'm sure there are plenty of hotel rooms in Houston that aren't under NCAA control.

It's not that far from downtown, probably 20 minutes due to all the lights, and like you said, there's the rail line.

You can all stay at my place if you don't mind my 5 dogs and a 45 minute drive to the stadium

From my memory of 2013 Final Four and Texas Bowl

-the hotel packages were ridiculously over priced. You got a care bag and a program. The hotel won't necessarily be the team hotel. So you could end up in a secondary Cuse hotel.

-the Cuse sponsored pregame was fun. They had transportation from the hotel. You will run into the band, cheer team, Otto, and usually some well known folk.

-Being in the team hotel for the Texas Bowl was fun. But there really wasn't anything around the area. I find it to be a bit boring.

IMO the FF should always be in New Orleans. It is a party so why not have it in party city?

From my memory of 2013 Final Four and Texas Bowl

-the hotel packages were ridiculously over priced. You got a care bag and a program. The hotel won't necessarily be the team hotel. So you could end up in a secondary Cuse hotel.

-the Cuse sponsored pregame was fun. They had transportation from the hotel. You will run into the band, cheer team, Otto, and usually some well known folk.

-Being in the team hotel for the Texas Bowl was fun. But there really wasn't anything around the area. I find it to be a bit boring.

IMO the FF should always be in New Orleans. It is a party so why not have it in party city?
If I may ask, what was the ballpark price (for it all)?

OrangeXtreme said:
Maybe because the NCAA has a deal with Anthony Travel to be their exclusive broker? I'm sure there are plenty of hotel rooms in Houston that aren't under NCAA control.

I'm sure there are plenty but you have to buy their hotel package if you want tix.

GoHamSU said:

Last time I thought about going through SU and that travel agent it was well north of $1,000 PP.

I want to say $1500 per person but I am not positive. However last time there were plenty of left over tickets that trickled down to the general public. I had to buy additional tickets beyond my limit and got them no problem in the general sale.

Is Houston the kind of city I can wander the streets in a half stupor looking for action, or would that be a bad idea? I'm not a SU donor, but I think my uncle may be able to get tickets and I dont believe he is an SU fan,

Forza, HC's spot on with his comments about Houston. My wife grew up in the area and went to Rice, so while I call Austin home, I've visited it more than any other city that I haven't actually lived in.

Lots of stuff to do in Houston. Energy industry money has enabled world-class philanthropy--leading to some very nice museums. The art museums and the natural science museum are all top notch. The city has done a very good job with its parks, so Memorial Park, Buffalo Bayou, and the Bayou Bend Gardens could be worth a visit. I know you live close enough to big-city shopping if you want it, but the Galleria's a pretty amazing shopping/dining/staying experience (and there's a good hole-in-the-wall Chinese joint nearby). NASA's a pretty significant trip, but it and the much-more-centrally-located zoo are both worth the trip. I don't know if you and the family are interested in colleges at this stage, but Rice is top-tier and has a gorgeous urban campus, is very walkable, and features a very cool Skyspace installation that you can't find in a lot of places: http://skyspace.rice.edu/about-skyspace/.

As for the team hotel experience, I was profoundly lucky to get a room at the one in Atlanta a few years ago. Was able to see and visit with some of the current and former players as a result, as well as a happy hour with lots of the coaching staff. Hard to overstate how enjoyable that kind of access was. I'm still extremely grateful for that experience and would recommend it highly.

Depending on how many total transfers you might need, you could consider cabs or Uber/Lyft. As for this particular venue, I've been to Houston for the FF and other big sporting events, and this stadium is relatively out in the middle of nowhere (south side of the city, just inside the loop), with loads of parking all around. Houston has its share of traffic issues, and it's a vast, sprawling city--but I've found it to be very parking-friendly. On balance, I'd advise you to rent a car.

If this trip comes closer to becoming a reality, I'll be very happy to offer some more ideas. We'll hook you up with some good barbecue and other dining options. Here's hoping you and I both have the chance to catch up in person in H-Town!

Thanks, Suttree. Would just be my son and I. Daughter plays lax for high school and going anywhere in-season is a no-no.

When you call to book, do they tell if you will be in the team hotel or not?

It's not that far from downtown, probably 20 minutes due to all the lights, and like you said, there's the rail line.

You can all stay at my place if you don't mind my 5 dogs and a 45 minute drive to the stadium

What part of town are you in texascpa?

I've been to a half dozen final fours including ours in 1996 and 2003. Few notes off the top of my head that will hopefully help:

PACKAGES

- I went with the SU packages in 2003 and 1996 for two main reasons - transportation and tickets. In 2003 it was impossible to book a commercial flight from Syracuse to New Orleans on short notice and in 1996 game tickets for Meadowlands were tough to come by. Purchasing the package took care of those needs.

- Pricing is ridiculous. Well north of $1K per person as someone said. I may have paid $1,600 back in '03? '96 was criminal what they charged for the hotel (Grand Hyatt) and the fact that they made you take a minimum # of nights.

- They will have 3-4 levels of hotels per team. Top one is the team hotel and the bottom one will be a Hampton Inn type of place. Both times we went on the package we jammed 4-5 people in the room (including some who did not purchase the package but had traveled and obtained game tix on their own) to help split cost. They will not tell you which hotel you are in when you call as they won't know - all depends on how many packages they sell and what level donor/season ticketholder you are.

- So package contains air, hotel and game tix which, while overpriced, are what you get the package for. All the other crap - souvenir, airport transport, luggage tag, pep rally, etc is just BS tacked on to make it appear you are getting some sort of value out of it all.

- One note about '03. They ran charter flights back and forth between SYR & NO the Friday before and Tuesday after. Tuesday morning, after being out on Bourbon St until 5 AM, we were notified that out flight was leaving at 7 AM and to be on bus by 6 AM. It was a cluster F. Bus dropped us off right on tarmac and people just got on the plane grabbed seats first come first served.

GAME TICKETS
With Final Fours taking place in the huge domes now game tickets are not an issue. Purchasing a package gets you into the team sections which, much like the hotels, have multiple levels ranging from courtside to upper level. You'll be assigned seats based on donor level, if you are a season ticketholder, etc.

If you want to buy on your own there are plenty of options - I would recommend just buying the Saturday semi-final ticket if you can as the Monday tickets can be had for $25 if we get that far. With blue blood teams like Kentucky, Louisville, Duke, etc out of the mix this year shouldn't be an issue. UNC will attract a lot of people though from all over. Stub Hub is a good option as they will have a customer service center setup in Houston to handle tickets.

FLIGHT
Booking anything out of Syracuse on short notice is expensive and impossible and this is where the package helps. If you are from out of town especially NY metro area though you will likely be able to get a better deal booking your own flight to Houston and back.

HOTEL
Booking on your own last minute will likely be impossible to get anything near the action (I am not familiar with Houston), if you don't mind staying 30-45 minutes outside town can typically get a room on your own.

My take...

If money isn't an overriding factor grab the package and go that way you don't need to worry about anything. If you are looking to be economical then do it on your own - book a nearby hotel, obtain game tickets and handle your own transportation - it is all doable.

Maybe because the NCAA has a deal with Anthony Travel to be their exclusive broker?

I'm sure there are plenty of hotel rooms in Houston that aren't under NCAA control.

NCAA does have a deal. it's all a cash grab.

just like their deal with Prime Sports for tickets - they give blocks of decent seats to Prime Sports, Primt Sports sells them at a premium, NCAA gets their cut...

Orange46R said:
NCAA does have a deal. it's all a cash grab. just like their deal with Prime Sports for tickets - they give blocks of decent seats to Prime Sports, Primt Sports sells them at a premium, NCAA gets their cut...

Its always frosted me that the NCAA promotes scalping but god forbid a fan does it.

suttree Where will the fans be watching on Sunday in Austin?

From what I remember it's always been that way. When SU was in a more precarious league situation I would see posts from members with SU connections pleading to buy bowl tickets through the school and folks would say screw that I can get tickets from the stadium and book my own flight and hotel for way cheaper.

kirbivore said:
From what I remember it's always been that way. When SU was in a more precarious league situation I would see posts from members with SU connections pleading to buy bowl tickets through the school and folks would say screw that I can get tickets from the stadium and book my own flight and hotel for way cheaper.

It's gotten a lot more expensive since they started using this new national travel agent. Didn't we used to use drumlins?

Last time I thought about going through SU and that travel agent it was well north of $1,000 PP.

In 2013 it was roughly $1500 a person...I expect this year to be more like $2K per person...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom