Houston and Booking through SU questions... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Houston and Booking through SU questions...

Congrats on your huge comeback yesterday. Unfortunately, it was something my Cyclones couldn't pull off on Saturday...

Needless to say, I have some rooms booked for both cash and points that I won't be needing in Houston now. I thought I would swing over here and give you all a chance to move some of these out of my name into your own since I booked quite a ways in advance and got a much better rate than you can get now(Courtyard Medical Center and JW Downtown for $159/night).

Not selling or making anything on this and I will cancel tomorrow or Wednesday. More of a "my loss is your gain" type of thing...

The games are at NRG stadium (aka Reliant Stadium). This is quite a distance from downtown. You would be closer in Galleria/Uptown area, but it looks like the nexus of events and stuff is at Discovery Green and the George R. Brown convention center, both of which are downtown. Also a plus of downtown is the baseball and basketball stadium are there (Astros and Rockets) and there are bars/restaurants near there. The Astros play the Yankees on the Monday afternoon of the National Championship game but unfortunately it is an away game - that would have been cool. The Rockets play OKC on Sunday 4/3 which might be a cool experience to take in on the off day.

There is a metrorail line that travels between downtown and the stadium where the Final Four is so you can probably get away without a car. Houston isn't really a walking city but I know there is some walkable stuff within range of hotels both downtown and Galleria. I just don't know a tremendous amount about the quality or options down there. I'm not much help in the walking ideas because I live more in the suburbs and generally the idea of trying to walk anywhere is sort of preposterous to me. For some perspective, the metro area of Houston covers a land area bigger than the state of Rhode Island.

My wife and I just booked our flights, tix, etc. We're staying in the Crowne plaza walking distance from the stadium, is the metroline reliable/safe going to downtown or is it just better to Uber it? We'll both probably have to work from our company's office there in HTown on that Monday. Is there much else to do around the stadium or will we have to hit up downtown or the galleria for bars and restaurants?

My wife and I just booked our flights, tix, etc. We're staying in the Crowne plaza walking distance from the stadium, is the metroline reliable/safe going to downtown or is it just better to Uber it? We'll both probably have to work from our company's office there in HTown on that Monday. Is there much else to do around the stadium or will we have to hit up downtown or the galleria for bars and restaurants?
I'd love to have true locals prove me wrong, but my many trips from Austin tell me that there's not much at all to do around the stadium. If the city and/or developers were planning on some infill around that area, it hasn't happened yet. As with Forza, I'll recommend that you get a car for a few days. In for a dime...

I'd love to have true locals prove me wrong, but my many trips from Austin tell me that there's not much at all to do around the stadium. If the city and/or developers were planning on some infill around that area, it hasn't happened yet. As with Forza, I'll recommend that you get a car for a few days. In for a dime...

Are you going to make it over for the game?

Thanks Tree, I think we'll just book a car, its fairly cheap and at least we wont feel trapped in a place with nothing to do... plus it'll make getting to work Monday in Downtown that much easier... even if I'll be riding with my Tar Heel alum of a wife!

So I was told I needed to buy my tix and hotel package by this morning but was on a flight. Is it all sold out?

Thanks Tree, I think we'll just book a car, its fairly cheap and at least we wont feel trapped in a place with nothing to do... plus it'll make getting to work Monday in Downtown that much easier... even if I'll be riding with my Tar Heel alum of a wife!

A car is the way to go here in Houston. Things are spread out more than may appear on a map. Plus, the highways through downtown are slow. I cannot advise on the bar/club scene, you are on your own there. There are many good places to eat in the Galleria area and all over. Houston is a town with many nationalities represented, the cuisine is nearly as diverse; Greek, Italian, Indian, Cajun, Smokehouse BBQ, seafood, English pubs, Brazilian steakhouse, Mexican, Tex-Mex, Chinese, Japanese, the list goes on.

The car will come in handy when you want to see the sites. Galveston is about 50 miles from downtown, Battleship Texas and the Texas Monument are about 30 miles from downtown, parks are spread out, the zoo and many museums are approximately 10 miles from downtown. The Woodlands is north, about 3o miles from downtown (a great mall for the wife); golf all over the metro and in all price ranges. Also, the two commercial airports are 20 miles or so from downtown.

As mentioned earlier in the thread (or another thread), Austin, San Antonio, Dallas and NOLA are possible day trips/overnighters with many options.

For those wanting a sobering or substantive addition to the trip, the Holocaust Museum is a good candidate. I recommend a morning visit and a fun afternoon to add levity/balance.

Congrats on your huge comeback yesterday. Unfortunately, it was something my Cyclones couldn't pull off on Saturday...

Needless to say, I have some rooms booked for both cash and points that I won't be needing in Houston now. I thought I would swing over here and give you all a chance to move some of these out of my name into your own since I booked quite a ways in advance and got a much better rate than you can get now(Courtyard Medical Center and JW Downtown for $159/night).

Not selling or making anything on this and I will cancel tomorrow or Wednesday. More of a "my loss is your gain" type of thing...

Check your PM.

A car is the way to go here in Houston. Things are spread out more than may appear on a map. Plus, the highways through downtown are slow. I cannot advise on the bar/club scene, you are on your own there. There are many good places to eat in the Galleria area and all over. Houston is a town with many nationalities represented, the cuisine is nearly as diverse; Greek, Italian, Indian, Cajun, Smokehouse BBQ, seafood, English pubs, Brazilian steakhouse, Mexican, Tex-Mex, Chinese, Japanese, the list goes on.

The car will come in handy when you want to see the sites. Galveston is about 50 miles from downtown, Battleship Texas and the Texas Monument are about 30 miles from downtown, parks are spread out, the zoo and many museums are approximately 10 miles from downtown. The Woodlands is north, about 3o miles from downtown (a great mall for the wife); golf all over the metro and in all price ranges. Also, the two commercial airports are 20 miles or so from downtown.

As mentioned earlier in the thread (or another thread), Austin, San Antonio, Dallas and NOLA are possible day trips/overnighters with many options.

For those wanting a sobering or substantive addition to the trip, the Holocaust Museum is a good candidate. I recommend a morning visit and a fun afternoon to add levity/balance.

Thanks for the advice HTown, we will definitely be looking into some good places to eat, particularly mexican food. Although I just found out there's a chick-fil-a near my company's downtown Houston office, so we will definitely be going there for lunch that Monday, haha. Since we live in the Cayman Islands we don't get the good fast food chains like chick-fil-a, in-and-out or bojangles.

Any good bbq places you'd recommend in particular either downtown or at the galleria?

Are you going to make it over for the game?
Still searching for a ticket and have put in some calls. Likeliest scenario has me driving down Saturday morning. I'll keep you posted!

Thanks for the advice HTown, we will definitely be looking into some good places to eat, particularly mexican food. Although I just found out there's a chick-fil-a near my company's downtown Houston office, so we will definitely be going there for lunch that Monday, haha. Since we live in the Cayman Islands we don't get the good fast food chains like chick-fil-a, in-and-out or bojangles.

Any good bbq places you'd recommend in particular either downtown or at the galleria?

Love Chik-Fil-A! Fried chicken is the South's greatest contribution to the culinary world!

I like bbq and pretty much any bbq so I may not be the best source. I have lived in too many places to like just one style.

Pappa's BBQ (or any Pappa's restaurant) is definitely a good choice. Plus, they have smoked turkey, a personal favorite. (Shameless plug, un-sponsored, Pappa's BBQ is very reasonable and two can often eat from one plate. Other Pappa's restaurants may serve higher end food, but the portions are generous).
Goode Company BBQ - I believe this is what we had at the Texas Bowl a few years ago (TexanMark can possibly confirm)
There are too many others to list, your best bet may be to try one close to the hotel or if others on here have a favorite. Of note: Texas BBQ is mainly a rub and slow smoke. Sauce is optional, for those that expect a variety of sauces, al la Dinosaur BBQ, you may be disappointed.

For TexMex, I like Pappacito's and Los Cucos. Ninfa's is popular, but the three times I tried the one in the Post Oak/Galleria area, I was unimpressed. Other Houstonians may have suggestions, too.

If I can think of other places, I will list them later.

Love Chik-Fil-A! Fried chicken is the South's greatest contribution to the culinary world!

I like bbq and pretty much any bbq so I may not be the best source. I have lived in too many places to like just one style.

Pappa's BBQ (or any Pappa's restaurant) is definitely a good choice. Plus, they have smoked turkey, a personal favorite. (Shameless plug, un-sponsored, Pappa's BBQ is very reasonable and two can often eat from one plate. Other Pappa's restaurants may serve higher end food, but the portions are generous).
Goode Company BBQ - I believe this is what we had at the Texas Bowl a few years ago (TexanMark can possibly confirm)
There are too many others to list, your best bet may be to try one close to the hotel or if others on here have a favorite. Of note: Texas BBQ is mainly a rub and slow smoke. Sauce is optional, for those that expect a variety of sauces, al la Dinosaur BBQ, you may be disappointed.

For TexMex, I like Pappacito's and Los Cucos. Ninfa's is popular, but the three times I tried the one in the Post Oak/Galleria area, I was unimpressed. Other Houstonians may have suggestions, too.

If I can think of other places, I will list them later.

Awesome, thanks HTown! I enjoy all types of BBQ although the mrs. is big on the western carolina bbq (vinegar based). I have to say I do enjoy that but I love a good smoked brisket.

captain..if you end up in houston, you have to come over to my house for some tea and crumpets

If you're serious, being I'm already making a rare public appearance, I will certainly consider it!!! So if i get what's likely the cheapest stuff(maybe near the airport?), how is public transportation or do I need to rent a car? Ive never done the Uber thing, and am not sure I want my first time being on a big weekend somewhere where Im not familiar. Ive been likely accused of a cry for help before, and this most certainly is one!

So I was told I needed to buy my tix and hotel package by this morning but was on a flight. Is it all sold out?
Non season ticket holder/ doners go on sale tomorrow from 10-5- this is for travel packages only (~1700 pp - not team hotel but SU fan hotel as team hotel is sold out) . Ticket only packages go on sale Wednesday morning .

If you're serious, being I'm already making a rare public appearance, I will certainly consider it!!! So if i get what's likely the cheapest stuff(maybe near the airport?), how is public transportation or do I need to rent a car? Ive never done the Uber thing, and am not sure I want my first time being on a big weekend somewhere where Im not familiar. Ive been likely accused of a cry for help before, and this most certainly is one!

its pretty far from the house. id have to come by and pick you up. theres really not much of anything out by the stadium.

its pretty far from the house. id have to come by and pick you up. theres really not much of anything out by the stadium.

Man, I finally did it. Being it's not too long after good Friday, I wish I could remember how to say that in Aramaic. And not to be sacrilegious, but after trying multiple avenues and techniques and having some odd things happen, I feel frustrated and sapped when I should feel relieved.

I was going to stay in Humble, because I thought it represented the underdog team and board member, but I ended up going a different route. Had to get a vehicle too. I'm guessing I'll feel better in a bit now that Ive gotten around to drinking and am about to watch Better Call Saul.

Tomorrow will be better, as long as the regret doesnt outweigh the less stress. I dont feel that well, but it could still be due to post game antics.

Speaking of antics, I may take some requests. I hope I can represent the common man/board user with dignity, even though I dont plan to be doing much if any posting. I hope to be able to do my title belt gesture, and for all I know get on one shining moment or something. I have no idea where my seat will be, but I want to give hope to the common man...picture Rocky's speech to a crowd he turned in the USSR at the end of Rocky IV.

Steveholt maybe you can teach me the ways of the area between now and then. I'm not sure if I'll be invited to any tailgates and as a low roller, I am likely too far away to party without risking a dui, which I do not wish to do. It would be cool if Barry Cooper still lived in TX, but I doubt it. Maybe I will figure out a way I can still tailgate if anyone has any ideas. Thank you for your support.

Last edited:
Would anyone sponsor me to scream one of the board legends'(RIP, figuratively) names during a quiet free throw? I might do it for free, but you cant blame me for trying to cut credit card casualty creatively.

How does one pronounce brncusefvrcuse anyhow?

Long time reader... first time poster.

I was born and raised in Houston. I've basically lived there my entire life, minus the four years I spent at Syracuse. I cannot wait for orange nation to descend upon Houston!

Transportation: This city is very car friendly. There are only a few places in the city that would be deemed as "pedestrian friendly". However, if you are staying downtown and plan on doing most of the final four events, I would recommend just doing uber or the metrorail. I know someone on this board was asking about how safe it was. Its as safe as any other public transportation. It may get packed because its a big weekend, but definitely the cheapest way to get to the NRG stadium. For those new with uber, the app actually has a map that shows where the car is and the route. You don't need to worry about getting taken advantage of! If, for whatever reason, you do get taken on a weird route, just contact Uber and they usually reimburse you. There is a ton of parking around the stadium, but they will make you pay for it unless you already have a parking pass. My friends and I usually end up just doing uber or the metrorail. Why worry about drinking and driving and have to pay for parking? Depending on which airport you fly into, it can be far. Bush Intercontinental is almost a 30 minute drive to downtown, while Hobby is about ten. Cabs from the airport can be expensive, so look for a shuttle service if you do decide to not rent a car.

Things to do: The museums in Houston are top notch. The parks are equally nice. If that sounds boring to you, you can try one of Houston's breweries. Karbach has a huge outdoor patio, while St. Arnolds has a fun beerhall. St. Arnolds sometimes has weird hours, so check before you go. If you want to be surrounded by Houston memorabilia, try 8th Wonder. As for NASA and Galveston, its a bit of a drive. If you have little kids with you, NASA may be worth it; however, if its just adults I recommend skipping it. I always leave disappointed. They've basically turned it into a huge playground. If you do decide to check it out, you can also spend a couple of hours at Kemah BoardWalk. If history is your thing, try going to San Jacinto Monument. This was were Texas won its independence from Mexico. Battleship Texas is also located there. The Galleria is a great shopping mall! You can even show of your ice skating skills on the ice rink thats in the middle of the mall. (It's also great people watching...) Rice Village and Highlands village are also good shopping destinations that are near downtown. It sounds like most of the final four activities are going to be in the downtown area. I know I plan on checking those out!

Food: Houston has become foodie heaven. There are a ton of great restaurants for every type of cuisine. I recommend looking at Houstoniamag.com or thrillest.com to get some suggestions. A few personal favorites: little pappasito's (tex-mex), el tiempo (tex-mex), killen's bbq (bbq), goode company taquirera (tex-mex, breakfast), liberty kitchen (brunch). Seriously.. the list goes on and on.

Nightlife: There are a few different areas for nightlife, each with a different feel. Downtown (mostly along main st) has a bunch of newish bars. these tend to be a bit more upscale (but still casual). I like bovine &barley, pastry war, dale's, and the watch company. More lively areas of night life are washington st and midtown. Midtown is more barhopping friendly, as washington is more spreadout. This is were you will find watering holes as well as more club feeling places. Popular places in Midtown are Little Woodrow's (but I guess the sign really says big woodrow's), Front Porch (try the moonscrew), and Dogwood. Wooster's garden is also pretty good. You can easily just walk around and find a place to go here. If you end up at Washington St and want to give Texas Two-Step a try, go to Rebels. Its not the most authentic, but you will get the idea. White Oak in the heights has more a dive bar thing going, while Rice Village has more of a neighborhood feel. There is also Montrose which is more eclectic. Try Anvil or Hay Merchant. West Alabama Ice House is not too far, and fairly historic for Houston.

I hope this helps!

The metro is safe and reliable. The area around NRG stadium is pretty barren. All that is there is the deteriorating hulk of the Astrodome and about 600 acres of parking lot.

My five star lock of the week BBQ recommendation is Goode Company.

Just looked at the Anthony Travel link. They are now booking hotels rooms in the DoubleTree - Galleria. Same hotel I booked for free with Hilton points, you can book direct with Hilton at $371, or if you have a corporate rate you can get for $291. Buying the package you pay $650 / night.

And still nothing for season ticket holders or donors on ticket only purchases other than stand in line with the scalpers tomorrow morning at 10. Starting to get more than a little nervous and upset.

Headmaster 9 said:
Non season ticket holder/ doners go on sale tomorrow from 10-5- this is for travel packages only (~1700 pp - not team hotel but SU fan hotel as team hotel is sold out) . Ticket only packages go on sale Wednesday morning .

So I'm a rookie at this, and stuck in anchorage still due to the volcano, so researching this stuff has been difficult.

What would be the best option here? $1700 would get me a place to stay, and two game tickets (no issue with a "fan hotel" because id still be surrounded by SU fans, and could just chill at the team hotel during the day.. But tickets for non donors are going to be in the rafters right?

Or, would it be better to wait for just game tix, and trying to figure out a hotel on my own?

So I'm a rookie at this, and stuck in anchorage still due to the volcano, so researching this stuff has been difficult.

What would be the best option here? $1700 would get me a place to stay, and two game tickets (no issue with a "fan hotel" because id still be surrounded by SU fans, and could just chill at the team hotel during the day.. But tickets for non donors are going to be in the rafters right?

Or, would it be better to wait for just game tix, and trying to figure out a hotel on my own?

At this point I'd wait until the morning and get on the phone at 10 a.m. EDT. And check your math - I think 2 tickets plus a room via the Anthony Travel package is closer to $3300. They are booking now at the Doubletree - Greenway where I'm staying on Hilton points. Posted rate with rooms available is a little over $300/night. With the package you'll be paying the equivalent of over $650 / night!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom