How many players on our roster can shoot 35% from 3pt range for a season? | Syracusefan.com

How many players on our roster can shoot 35% from 3pt range for a season?

Alsacs

Living Legend
Maybe 3?
Gillon and Lydon have done it in college basketball.
The third if we are lucky is Tyus Battle.

How many guys on our team can consistently make an elbow jump shot?
Gillon, Battle, Lydon and ? Hopefully Moyer and Howard.

We aren't going to get offense from Roberson/Coleman/Chuwku outside of the guards penerating and dumping off for dunks. Also hopefully offensive rebound put backs.

I just can't wait for our team to have a exciting half court offense again because the D is elite.

I am not freaking out. I am waited till the cards are on the table and am now Reacting.

Our staff dropped the ball on replacing Malachi. They went after Spike, Gillon, and Mullins. They only got 1.

They lost this Turk recruit and now we are down to Thompson and the mystery recruit who aren't going to help the guard situation.

I am looking at our roster and am just wondering where the heck the points are going to come from.
G, Malachi, Cooney accounted for 55% of our offense last year and all we have coming in Battle and Gillon. Sorry that is scary.

I am not freaking out. I am waited till the cards are on the table and am now Reacting.

Our staff dropped the ball on replacing Malachi. They went after Spike, Gillon, and Mullins. They only got 1.

They lost this Turk recruit and now we are down to Thompson and the mystery recruit who aren't going to help the guard situation.

I am looking at our roster and am just wondering where the heck the points are going to come from.
G, Malachi, Cooney accounted for 55% of our offense last year and all we have coming in Battle and Gillon. Sorry that is scary.
If we get the mystery recruit, we are fine on offense. Would it be better if we had Mali, yes. Let's see what Gillon can do before we think it is scary. If he is good, and he has shot about 35% over the past three years, twice over that and once under. With battle, i think our guards will be fine (if we get the mystery recruit). Just run a bit different.

Weren't we freaked out after McCullough and Rak left too?

Howard/Battle/Gillon will be a fine backcourt.
Our C depth is already better than last year with PC/DC/Lydon(if needed)
Robey, Lydon on the wings with Moyer backing them up.

I think we'll add 1 more player in this offseason. That will probably make us go 8-9 deep, which is par for the course for JB.

People obsess with 3pt shooting, but I think Lydon/Gillon will make enough 3's to keep teams honest, with Battle/Howard combining to hit 2-3 a game .

This team has a chance to be special defensively, think 2013. Lydon/Robey on the wings with PC in the middle is scary -- the length of Howard and Battle up top. Obviously we will have to see how well Battle, Gillon and PC know the zone - and how much Howard has improved. But the potential is there to bhe really, really good defensively.

I think it really depends on how good Battle is. Is he Lawrence Moten, Jonny Flynn, Gerry McNamara level ready, meaning he comes right in and consistently plays well and doesn't seem like a freshman? Or is he going to be more up and down and look great at times, and really struggle at others(like Malachi, and many others?)

What is the obsession with 3 point shooting? If you can't hit 3's you can't score points or something?

I don't agree with this. We were only ever going to get one of them and we got the best one. Nobody transfers just to be the 4th guard in a program that has rarely had any need for a 4th guard for a long time. Spike is a pile of poopy. Mullins would have been okay, but like I said, we were only going to get 1.

You're underselling Howard, in my opinion. I'm not convinced he can't shoot and he showed flashes of potential that he could be a pretty darn good floor general. Is he going to shoot 35% from deep? Probably not. Could he shoot a respectable enough percentage to keep defenses honest? Probably. Scoop was 5-18 from deep as a frosh; Frank was 2-19. Percentage-wise that's a huge difference, but the 'eye-test' shows that the difference really isn't that drastic. Scoop had a jumpshot form only rivaled in flaws and ugliness by Paul Harris' and still went on to be a borderline great shooter from deep. Frank has solid form from what I've seen and tends to only miss long or short, which bodes well for him. It's not a stretch to say he could be decent from outside if the leash doesn't get yanked every time he attempts one.

Howard, Gillon and Battle are going to be a unstopable driving combo. There will be two mismatches out there any given night and this should open things up. We will be much better at outside shooting then two years ago, and light years better then three years ago. If Roberson or Moyer show the dribbling ability as well will we be very solid offensively. Roberson showed flashes last year, just has to finish stronger at the rim full speed with a touch that puts the ball inside the cylinder.

Agree another SG is more needed then a big or forward right now though.

I don't agree with this. We were only ever going to get one of them and we got the best one. Nobody transfers just to be the 4th guard in a program that has rarely had any need for a 4th guard for a long time. Spike is a pile of poopy. Mullins would have been okay, but like I said, we were only going to get 1.

You're underselling Howard, in my opinion. I'm not convinced he can't shoot and he showed flashes of potential that he could be a pretty darn good floor general. Is he going to shoot 35% from deep? Probably not. Could he shoot a respectable enough percentage to keep defenses honest? Probably. Scoop was 5-18 from deep as a frosh; Frank was 2-19. Percentage-wise that's a huge difference, but the 'eye-test' shows that the difference really isn't that drastic. Scoop had a jumpshot form only rivaled in flaws and ugliness by Paul Harris' and still went on to be a borderline great shooter from deep. Frank has solid form from what I've seen and tends to only miss long or short, which bodes well for him. It's not a stretch to say he could be decent from outside if the leash doesn't get yanked every time he attempts one.
Listen I am not hoping what I say happens I would love it if thee 3 guys are enough. But this isn't 2013 where had a 4th year starting guard who knew the system and 5 star Sophomore who had played 10mpg on a 34-3 team.

We have 2 known shooters right now and one of them hasn't done it an SU uniform and we have a 3rd potential shooter.

I hope to be proven wrong but I see another 19-21 win team next year and just squeaking into the tournament and what sucks is I expect 4 of these 8 players to be gone atleast and we really need a huge 2017 recruiting class and those guys will be young.

"Can" shoot that, as in potentially?

Lydon and Gillon for sure. Maybe Howard, depending on offseason improvement he shows. Maybe our frosh, Battle and Moyer.

And in 2009 we lost our three leading scorers who accounted for 58% of our offense.

Oh, I'm sorry. Please resume "not freaking out."

muppet-beaker-panic-freaking-out-gif.gif

"Can" shoot that, as in potentially?

Lydon and Gillon for sure. Maybe Howard, depending on offseason improvement he shows. Maybe our frosh, Battle and Moyer.

My feeling, but I'm an optimist, is Moyer may come in and have a freshmen season like Lydon. Maybe even a little better. My only evidence for this, besides my intuition, his that he plays the violin. I'm not saying Lydon needs to learn how to play an instrument. I'm just saying I can't wait to see what Moyer is capable of doing!

Weren't we freaked out after McCullough and Rak left too?

And weren't we exposed as a weak interior defensive team this year? The run to the Final Four was a bit of a fluke. Remember, we almost didn't make the tournament. The team had structural problems and the staff hasn't been working hard enough to make sure the roster is as full as sanctions will permit it to be.

And weren't we exposed as a weak interior defensive team this year? The run to the Final Four was a bit of a fluke. Remember, we almost didn't make the tournament. The team had structural problems and the staff hasn't been working hard enough to make sure the roster is as full as sanctions will permit it to be.

It's hard for me to agree with your staff comment. Take the Diagne situation. That was just bad luck and the NCAA punishing us for whatever reason. I think the staff is doing a fine job. Getting recruits is a very difficult job. I think the 2016-17 recruiting class is very good. I like the players they have offers to in the 2017-18 class. What are you expecting the coaches to do differently? You can't put a gun to these kids heads.

I agree with this much, and only this much: it would be great to have a team that had no clear flaws. SU has had such teams in the past, on very few occasions -- good shooting, good ball handlers, plenty of depth, legit post play, great size and athleticism, and great defensively. I am all for us being ambitious to hope for that, and disappointed that this year we were perhaps a different Richardson decision away from having it. But to indict the staff and color the situation so dire, just because a top 40 player was able to unexpectedly play himself into the first round? At most, 5 teams a year are without clear flaws. And as much as we'd like to be, Syracuse is not a top 5 program. While that does not mean we cannot have the perfectly rounded roster on occasion, to go in defcom 1 mode is a little over the top and does not bode well for your enjoyment of 9 out of 10 off seasons. You have tons of very informative and enjoyable commentary on this board, so forgive the candid observation please.

And in 2009 we lost our three leading scorers who accounted for 58% of our offense.

Oh, I'm sorry. Please resume "not freaking out."

muppet-beaker-panic-freaking-out-gif.gif

Are you really going to compare the roster from 2010 to what we have now.

2010 had to players who could score with their backs to the basket in the post. Rick Jackson and Arinze Onauku.

How many post scorers do we have on the roster now? Coleman? No, Roberson? No, Chuwku? Hopefully but unlikely.

Where is the Wes Johnson transfer on this roster right now? Johnson could play SF and PF and could drive the ball, hit midrange jumpers, 3 pt shots and oh yeah was the Big East Player of the Year.

We don't have a Wes Johnson on the roster now oh yeah. Tyler Lydon is a stretch 4 not a Wes type player.

Who is the Kris Joseph who can play the wing and get to the rim?

We had 3 guard rotation that is the only similarity Brandon Triche, Scoop Jardine, Andy Rautins. Now its Tyus Battle, Frank Howard, and John Gillon.

2009 had 3 NBA draft picks on the team. This roster we have right now is not anything like the 2009 team. That team had quality guards, mid range game, 3 pt shooting, and 2 post scorers. The team we have now has potential to be a good defensive team. We should make the tourney though.

Are you really going to compare the roster from 2010 to what we have now.

2010 had to players who could score with their backs to the basket in the post. Rick Jackson and Arinze Onauku.

How many post scorers do we have on the roster now? Coleman? No, Roberson? No, Chuwku? Hopefully but unlikely.

Where is the Wes Johnson transfer on this roster right now? Johnson could play SF and PF and could drive the ball, hit midrange jumpers, 3 pt shots and oh yeah was the Big East Player of the Year.

We don't have a Wes Johnson on the roster now oh yeah. Tyler Lydon is a stretch 4 not a Wes type player.

Who is the Kris Joseph who can play the wing and get to the rim?

We had 3 guard rotation that is the only similarity Brandon Triche, Scoop Jardine, Andy Rautins. Now its Tyus Battle, Frank Howard, and John Gillon.

2009 had 3 NBA draft picks on the team. This roster we have right now is not anything like the 2009 team. That team had quality guards, mid range game, 3 pt shooting, and 2 post scorers. The team we have now has potential to be a good defensive team. We should make the tourney though.

We're projected as middle of the pack again. Frustrating.

I agree with this much, and only this much: it would be great to have a team that had no clear flaws. SU has had such teams in the past, on very few occasions -- good shooting, good ball handlers, plenty of depth, legit post play, great size and athleticism, and great defensively. I am all for us being ambitious to hope for that, and disappointed that this year we were perhaps a different Richardson decision away from having it. But to indict the staff and color the situation so dire, just because a top 40 player was able to unexpectedly play himself into the first round? At most, 5 teams a year are without clear flaws. And as much as we'd like to be, Syracuse is not a top 5 program. While that does not mean we cannot have the perfectly rounded roster on occasion, to go in defcom 1 mode is a little over the top and does not bode well for your enjoyment of 9 out of 10 off seasons. You have tons of very informative and enjoyable commentary on this board, so forgive the candid observation please.
Thank you for an adult response and not the responses from the holier than thou poster.

I am frustrated because the staff has dropped the ball IMO. We haven't had a full roster since 2o12. Think about that and our scholarship penalties didn't start till last year. We won't have a full roster of scholarship players till 2019 at the earliest. JB only has 2 years left. 2017 is going to be a lot like 2016. We are going to be a bubblish NCAA team.

Then for 2018 which is JB last year we only have Howard-Chukwu-Moyer- under scholarship as Gillon/Coleman/Roberson are Seniors and Lydon/Battle have strong NBA draft potential.

My frustration is because I am looking long term and big picture. I am not looking to belittle people and be a tough guy who acts smug putting fans down. This 2016 Final Four was huge because I am worried about the next 2 years. Hopefully we get a lot of top 2017 commits. We will need a lot of recruits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom