How to Beat UNC | Syracusefan.com

How to Beat UNC

Hogtowncuse

2023-24 Iggy Winner 2nd Most Minutes
Here's a short tutorial (simplistic I know) on how to beat the Heels...defensively first:

1) You cannot allow BJ to get the ball unguarded at the foul line and make jumpers. He did that too easily against ND's poor MTM. Coleman and/or Lydon need to pressure him and the guards need to collapse on him if he does get the ball.
2) If he does get the ball but is well guarded, teams try to quickly feed the low post before our wings can react. Our wings need to stay inside more than they usually do and be ready to block out if BJ still puts up a shot.
3) If we stay inside more, then Paige and others are more open for 3s. This is the risk...but until they start hitting them consistently, we should give them that shot. Blocking out BJ should be Coleman/Lydon's only worry...he's the quickest and best offensive rebounder in the Final Four by far. BTW, if we run their guards hard on offense, they will not make as many of these 3s as the game goes on.
4) Adjust as we go...but never allow #1 and hope that we can draw some early fouls on them which will help to negate some of their advantage.

Offensively:

1) Continue to use the motion offense via cycling the ball between our guards. This has opened up our chances for driving to the basket off our weave. Just be careful to avoid offensive fouls in the process.
2) Once you get a step on their guards (who aren't very good on D), take it to the hoop hard BUT be aware that BJ tries to be a shot blocker. He's OK at it but is prone to foul...so changing the shot at the last second is VERY key...he will draw fouls. Dropping off to TR is also a strong possibility if you can get BJ off his feet.
3) once they start to figure this out, use more of a pick and roll approach and hopefully get some open 3s in the process as they back down to prevent #2.

They are certainly not invincible...making free throws and hitting a few 3s will make it very close. Go Cuse!!

Here's a short tutorial (simplistic I know) on how to beat the Heels...defensively first:

1) You cannot allow BJ to get the ball unguarded at the foul line and make jumpers. He did that too easily against ND's poor MTM. Coleman and/or Lydon need to pressure him and the guards need to collapse on him if he does get the ball.
2) If he does get the ball but is well guarded, teams try to quickly feed the low post before our wings can react. Our wings need to stay inside more than they usually do and be ready to block out if BJ still puts up a shot.
3) If we stay inside more, then Paige and others are more open for 3s. This is the risk...but until they start hitting them consistently, we should give them that shot. Blocking out BJ should be Coleman/Lydon's only worry...he's the quickest and best offensive rebounder in the Final Four by far. BTW, if we run their guards hard on offense, they will not make as many of these 3s as the game goes on.
4) Adjust as we go...but never allow #1 and hope that we can draw some early fouls on them which will help to negate some of their advantage.

Offensively:

1) Continue to use the motion offense via cycling the ball between our guards. This has opened up our chances for driving to the basket off our weave. Just be careful to avoid offensive fouls in the process.
2) Once you get a step on their guards (who aren't very good on D), take it to the hoop hard BUT be aware that BJ tries to be a shot blocker. He's OK at it but is prone to foul...so changing the shot at the last second is VERY key...he will draw fouls. Dropping off to TR is also a strong possibility if you can get BJ off his feet.
3) once they start to figure this out, use more of a pick and roll approach and hopefully get some open 3s in the process as they back down to prevent #2.

They are certainly not invincible...making free throws and hitting a few 3s will make it very close. Go Cuse!!
Good stuff.

Obviously SU can't let Brice Johnson have a field day from the foul line against the zone by either knocking down the jumper or dumping down underneath to Hicks/Meeks (which is what won UNC the first game). I think we're going to (have to) give UNC guards open threes due to SU's guards denying the entry pass at the foul line and when UNC does get the ball in the middle area SU's forwards will deny the low entry pass on the baseline/underneath the basket.

One of my biggest fears about UNC's offense, though, is Jackson's floater after penetrating along the baseline. He did that multiple times in both meetings. Not many teams have a weapon like that to attack the zone. Even if we're able to adjust to stop that, it will open up other areas - including a potential for giving up offensive rebounds.

On offense I hope to see SU continue to attack the rim and not only try to get Johnson into foul trouble but take their big men away from the basket to allow for offensive rebounds and putbacks. We'll need G and Cooney to knock down threes but only attempt open ones. Can't afford forced shots that ricochet off the rim and allow for UNC run-outs. We also can't afford to waste offensive possessions because UNC is going to get their points.

And of course we'll need our new freshman phenom MalRich to stay hot. Anyone know how well Justin Jackson defends?

I would add that we need to limit their transition baskets. That means 1) balance the floor on offense to make sure that we always have someone back to defend against the fastbreak, and 2) no early-shot-clock off-balance 3 point clunkers. We have to be very disciplined our long range shooting.

swarm brice johnson like we did with sabonis. double him as soon as he catches the ball. make em hit some 3s, which will be tougher in a huge stadium

Keep playing good defense, and shoot better than 37%.

as one of my kids' coaches used to say, "Score more points than they do."

WiFe-Dan%20Fouts.jpg

North Carolina is an excellent, excellent basketball team. But the Orange have a great basketball team too. My prediction is that whoever puts the most points on the scoreboard will probably win Saturday night's basketball game.

Thanks Dan.

The key for me is rebounding. UNC isn't a good shooting team. Joel James/Bryce Johnson/Kennedy Meeks on the offensive glass will be the biggest problem.

We need Roberson plugged in and Coleman to hit the glass.

If UNC hits their shots we are done but we can't let them beat on the offensive glass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom