How to Fix SU Football? | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

How to Fix SU Football?

Terrible?

Four kids with eligibility are on NFL rosters and four got recruited off for NIL deals from just last year.
Sure, he hit on a few over the course of 8 years, but it’s not been nearly good enough. They have been bottom of the ACC recruiting almost every year. He is complaining about depth after week 6! How can you say it’s been anything but terrible because 4 guys are in the NFL…I would be surprised if there was another ACC school with less.

Goals for the rest of the season:

-Compete with FSU. The spread isn't 40, it's 17.5. The spread was larger than that when we beat Clemson in 2017. FSU beat BC by two points. We're not playing the Kansas City Chiefs. If we lose, we lose. But for God's sake, play hard and compete, and have it still be a competitive game in the mid-to-late third quarter.

-No injuries, especially to Garrett. If we lose Garrett, we are in major trouble.

-Win four out of the last five games. That is going to be harder than people think, but it's attainable. I don't care if Pitt loses to Bryant and Stratton the week before they play us, I will never feel good about playing them. They have beaten us 18 out of the last 21. This HAS to be a win. If not this year, then when?

-That would put us at 8-4. If we win our bowl game, and go 9-4, we would finish in the vicinity of 20th, give or take a few spots. That's a great season.

It's boring to talk about and football guy wants it to be more complicated but get a guy who can throw the ball and make his decisions about getting rid of it quickly, they can be more competitive against good teams and sometimes win a shootout

There is no reason we can't find a guy who can make decisions and throw accurately in the transfer era. Maybe he's short, maybe he didn't have a cannon, maybe he's Chinese, whatever, they can do it

Right there the ceiling raises
Where are the players like Estime, Phillips, Ishmael, Strickland, and Neal, who when Eric was running around managed to find an opening catch the ball and make a big play.
We don't have those kind of players since they graduated.

Where are the players like Estime, Phillips, Ishmael, Strickland, and Neal, who when Eric was running around managed to find an opening catch the ball and make a big play.
I don’t think garret has looked down field outside the pocket in a long time

Custis.

Spend money on two Oline and two DL each year. Kids that have a minimum of two years left. Spend money on a QB. Spend money on a lock down corner. That is where you place the NIL dollars to acquire kids. Other than that spend NIL to retain your best players. After three years of doing this, you will have a solid team that has key players and depth that most likely will not transfer.

Spend money on two Oline and two DL each year. Kids that have a minimum of two years left. Spend money on a QB. Spend money on a lock down corner. That is where you place the NIL dollars to acquire kids. Other than that spend NIL to retain your best players. After three years of doing this, you will have a solid team that has key players and depth that most likely will not transfer.
That is cute.

Seems like a bad strategy in every way.

You want a good OL get coaching that can see a 3 star with NFL potential and then coach the kid up. We aren’t outspending for a HS or portal kid. Sane goes for the other positions. Do you want to overspend for scraps?

Our NIL should be used for retention not for brining kids in. We won’t win that war.

I’m not sure what there is to fix I’m cool being out of the NIL rat race with the super programs and having a team that can beat them on their day which we have.

Just hope the conference dies after the ridiculous crooked rigged calls. Whatever comes after will be ok even a watered down ACC where we are top dogs especially if the $ is ok.

Terrible?

Four kids with eligibility are on NFL rosters and four got recruited off for NIL deals from just last year.

Well, there is certainly bias in the rating systems, but we seem to top out at about 10th in the ACC during his time here.

Well, there is certainly bias in the rating systems, but we seem to top out at about 10th in the ACC during his time here.

Del-Rio Wilson, Shrader and Villari are all SEC caliber athletes. Del-Rio Wilson’s talent has been overlooked. Move Shrader to WR. He has experience there from making the switch at Mississippi State. A Cooper Kupp type of role opposite Alford/Hatcher. With Villari that’s three QB’s on the field at the same time and could make things interesting. If we get blown out this weekend, make the change immediately with the bye week to get the system down.

Del-Rio Wilson’s talent has been overlooked. Move Shrader to WR.
I just don't see it with Carlos right now. He has had a handful of opportunities between last year and this year to show what he can do, and despite having a big arm and occasional moments of success, overall his pocket presence is poor. Moving Garrett to WR at this moment in his senior season when we are 4-2 does not seem rational.

The premise of this thread is wrong.

The program doesn’t need to be fixed, it needs continued improvement.

If SU is going to move from mid tier ACC to upper tier then prerequisite is better offensive line.

The last two seasons there have been 8 losses.

SU is 0-5 vs teams 1-20 in the Sagarin ratings. (UNC, Clemson, FSU, ND, Clemson) In all five of those games the offense held to less than 300 yds.

Average score 14-35, 246 vs 453 yds.

SU is 4-3 vs teams 23 - 60. Wins - Purdue, NCSt, Purdue, Lville. Losses -Minn, Wake, Pitt

Average Score 27-22, 385 vs 367 yds

Those three losses are all unique. Minn(24) 20-28. outplayed them statistically. 447 to 215 total yds. That’s more than FSU outgained SU last year. Pick 6, KOR, failure to generate points to go with yds.

Pitt (32) 9-19 with CDRW. Held to under 300 yds by an excellent Pitt defense.

Wake (34) 35-45 Sam Hartman. Coming off of the gauntlet defense didn’t play well. One of two games in the last two years gave up more than 500 yds. Offense did their job 477yds

7 games vs 88 or worse. 7-0. Average score 43-11. 496 vs 224 yds

This isn’t a bad program that needs to be fixed. It needs focused improvement to the roster and program infrastructure. Get to the point where the 0-5 is 1-4/2-3, the 4-3 is 5-2/6-1.
Agree that the sky is not falling and we stink rants are exaggerated. However, isn't what you state and the title of the thread really one and the same? I think think that was the premise for the thread. How do we go from the status you described so well, to the next level? Really, we have been on average, in this rut for decades.

The thread was derailed from asking for fixes on how to go to the next level to a lot of other discussions as threads often do. My bottom line is that NIL money will be what it is and the average fan has no control over it. So...what's the point in debating it. The only thing in my opinion that takes us to the next level you mention is a home run coaching staff. Will it happen? We don't know. But, we won't ever know if they don't try to find one either...

I just don't see it with Carlos right now. He has had a handful of opportunities between last year and this year to show what he can do, and despite having a big arm and occasional moments of success, overall his pocket presence is poor. Moving Garrett to WR at this moment in his senior season when we are 4-2 does not seem rational.
Sometimes we have to make irrational decisions when another 5 or 6 win stinker of a season is looking likely. I could argue that Shrader’s pocket presence wasn’t good enough at Miss State, that’s why they wanted him and why I want him at WR, to get as many of our best athletes on the field at the same time. Our offense is totally reliant on Shrader being the best athlete on the field. That’s the case vs Western Michigan and Army but in the ACC. Del-Rio Wilson would be starting over Graham Mertz if he were still at Florida. No maybe it doesn’t make sense at 4-2, but it does with another blowout second week in a row.

Last edited:
Del-Rio Wilson, Shrader and Villari are all SEC caliber athletes. Del-Rio Wilson’s talent has been overlooked. Move Shrader to WR. He has experience there from making the switch at Mississippi State. A Cooper Kupp type of role opposite Alford/Hatcher. With Villari that’s three QB’s on the field at the same time and could make things interesting. If we get blown out this weekend, make the change immediately with the bye week to get the system down.
This has to be the most insane post ever.

Going into the portal to get a QB is a no-brainer and luckily there's many success stories across all types of programs at the position.

Sometimes we have to make irrational decisions when another 5 or 6 win stinker of a season is looking likely. I could argue that Shrader’s pocket presence wasn’t good enough at Miss State, that’s why they wanted him and why I want him at WR, to get as many of our best athletes on the field at the same time. Our offense is totally reliant on Shrader being the best athlete on the field. That’s the case vs Western Michigan and Army but in the ACC. Del-Rio Wilson would be starting over Graham Mertz if he were still at Florida. No maybe it doesn’t make sense at 4-2, but it does with another blowout second week in a row.
I will not view 6 wins as a stinker. Should we have won more if 6 is all we get? Sure. But this program NEEDS to string bowl seasons together. I don't see us hiring someone who will instantly get us to 8+ wins. If Dino does not get to 6 this year, I would be happy to move on.

If we move Garrett to WR I do not see us winning 6 and people would lose their minds worse than they are now sitting at 4-2.

Del Rio Wilson has looked terrible against FBS competition since he surprised ND for a quarter. I dont think he will be the starter next year, let alone this year.

It's a shame Dino went 5-7 in 2019 and 2021 because a few things break differently were discussing 5 Bowls in 8 Seasons and even with the blowout losses the perception would be different.

Agreed. 2021 was a killer -- waited to long to shift away from DeVito to Shafer, and got absolutely hosed on the road @ FSU by the refs on FSU's final, game winning drive.

Score that win, and we go bowling. Huge missed opportunity.

EDIT -- and I fully grasp that we didn't get the job done in 2019 and 2021, falling one game short each of those seasons for bowl eligibility. But I agree with your premise that we were that close to a completely different narrative / discussion about how Dino's tenure has gone.

Last edited:
So far Del Rio looks more like Tommy Devito then someone who can run this offense. Take a pass on that.

It's a shame Dino went 5-7 in 2019 and 2021 because a few things break differently were discussing 5 Bowls in 8 Seasons and even with the blowout losses the perception would be different.

Outside of 2020 we haven't been too bad record wise. IMO the perception isn't from the record but the blowouts.

In 2019 had we beaten NC State (who was a bad team that year) and ended up 6-6 it would not have made up for Maryland, Clemson, Florida State, BC, Louisville.

In 2021 had we beaten Rutgers or Wake to get to 6-6 would it have made up for losing the last 3 the way we did?

The lack of discipline, lack of O, and not showing up 2-3 times a year makes the team hard to get behind.

Yeah, but make no mistake, there's more than a correlation between why teams that consistently rank high in recruiting are consistently good and in the top 25. And, teams like SU who routinely are at/near the bottom of the rankings in its respective conference are just that, near the bottom.

When we have been so bad for so long, it's remarkably convenient (comical actually) to dismiss the ranking as malarkey, etc.

Last edited:
Agreed. 2021 was a killer -- waited to long to shift away from DeVito to Shafer, and got absolutely hosed on the road @ FSU by the refs on FSU's final, game winning drive.

Score that win, and we go bowling. Huge missed opportunity.

EDIT -- and I fully grasp that we didn't get the job done in 2019 and 2021, falling one game short each of those seasons for bowl eligibility. But I agree with your premise that we were that close to a completely different narrative / discussion about how Dino's tenure has gone.
No doubt 2021 was huge.

I've always felt that failing to capitalize on the 10-3 and #15 final ranking of the 2018 season, in DB's 3rd year, was the biggest lost opportunity of the Babers era. 2019 was a colossal failure for the program.

My mind is absolutely blown on this Friday the 13th. I have not seen who has responded to this yet, but I hope I am not the first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom