Howard bashing... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Howard bashing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Frank(and the team)will benefit from Carey being here next year. Frank is not a 40 mpg PG. He had to be this year, and overall had a good year. But everyone will be better off if we have a legit option to: 1)Come into the game for him. 2)Play alongside him and share some of the ballhandling responsibilities.

Hopefully they will develop good chemistry and be able to play well together on both ends and their games will compliment each other. Hopefully Carey brings some things to the table that Howard doesn’t, and hopefully Howard as a senior with another competent PG on the roster doesn’t have those maddening little mini-stretches of games where he can get a little crazy with the decisions.

Frank Howard wasn't the reason Cuse lost last night. Cuse lost last night because Bagley couldn't miss and Cuse didn't have quite enough on offense to keep up. It's not anyone's fault, just the way the season played out. Accept that and move on with your life. See ya.

I don't disagree. I do disagree that players can't be called out for having bad games. Frank had a bad game. Bye.

I think Frank(and the team)will benefit from Carey being here next year. Frank is not a 40 mpg PG. He had to be this year, and overall had a good year. But everyone will be better off if we have a legit option to: 1)Come into the game for him. 2)Play alongside him and share some of the ballhandling responsibilities.

Hopefully they will develop good chemistry and be able to play well together on both ends and their games will compliment each other. Hopefully Carey brings some things to the table that Howard doesn’t, and hopefully Howard as a senior with another competent PG on the roster doesn’t have those maddening little mini-stretches of games where he can get a little crazy with the decisions.

This.

Frank Howard wasn't the reason Cuse lost last night. Cuse lost last night because Bagley couldn't miss and Cuse didn't have quite enough on offense to keep up. It's not anyone's fault, just the way the season played out. Accept that and move on with your life. See ya.

Big picture, absolutely. I think it was the lack of offense when Marek was out, plus Bagley just making a couple superhuman plays that were the difference. That one heavily contested alley-oop - there’s no way that should’ve been a hoop even though it was a great pass. But we were all over it and he still caught it and dunked it anyway. That one tip in was a pretty difficult play that he made look smooth too.

Assume you’re talking starters only...

You watched Josh Wright, Michael Edwards, and James Thues right? Because Howard brings more to the table than them.

Junior version Howard was better than freshman versions of guys that ended up being really good like Hart too. Asked to do WAY more than a freshman Triche.

I certainly would’nt just look at the raw numbers and say he’s one of our best, because anyone playing 40 and having the ball all the time is going to get counting stats. He’s far from the worst though.

Everybody is only looking and talking about the O end of the court. I think it is arguable that on the D end of the court that Frank is one of our best PGs ever.

It is no secret that Frank lacks the elite speed and/or quickness that most great PGs have in common. That is not fixable.

However, on this year's team, we had a huge imbalance on the O end. For big chunks of the season the entire burden fell on Ty and Frank. Let's remember the first half of the season Oshae could not hit the broad side of a barn from more than ten feet out. Marek was a non-factor early on. Those guys grew and improved. As they did there was less burden on Frank and Ty. When any player is on the court for 40 minutes there simply has to be some physical and/or mental lapses. these are most visable in the pg, but there were plenty of bad halves from oshae and ty as well. why no citicism of those two ?

Next season, there will be other pieces to add. Frank can hopefully fit into a role more natural to his skillset.

He played awful defense, failed to go after lose balls and close out on shooters numerous times, and had those three stupid lobs.

Oh, and he got called for an 8 second violation, which he’s done multiple times since the Clemson game.
You mean 10 second violation? Those were on Battle as much as Howard. Both were too lackadaisical against their pressure. I actually thought Battle and Howard played a little too tentative against their zone at some points in the second half. We got it into the middle well, but we also needed to screen the top of the zone more and then have Battle or Howard take little guards, Allen or Duvall, off the bounce.

Our offensive drought at the end of the first half was due to Marek’s foul trouble. He was making good decisions and passes in the middle of the zone.

Agreed. I think Carey will provide a nice change of pace. He’s quick and capable of pushing the ball and running the break. Hopefully we’ll see more of that next year with him and Bazley.

It’s zone defense. You make it seem like he was taking each teams best player and shutting them down. JB is the architect of the defense. I give him 100% credit. He runs it at a high level during the tourney. That defense has been great well before frank and will run the same until JB retires. You could plug any tall guard with some athletic ability.

What is more frustrating is overall I don’t even dislike frank.
Did you see the defense last year?

The offense was solid last night when we were patient and played thru the high post. I give Frank credit for not trying to force his shot.

The lob passes were bad but the kid was trying to make a play.

I’m not gonna bash anyone...we took the Dukies down to the wire and that took a total team effort.

Agreed. I think Carey will provide a nice change of pace. He’s quick and capable of pushing the ball and running the break. Hopefully we’ll see more of that next year with him and Bazley.

This will blow the minds of a few people but Frank is a better up and down the court PG than a half court PG.

Those were inexcusable. In a game like this, where every point matters. Heck, every possession matters. Inexcusable.

then you should also be real pissed at every player since they all pissed away many opportunities.

Yeah but here's the thing. Frank claims to be the leader of this team, and, as the "floor general" you need to lead by example, be in command, not sulk like he often does when he's struggling, letting it affect his mindset, court savviness, etc. As the floor general, he needs to be more effective from a cerebral & situational standpoint and when to take higher/lessor risks, etc. Another example besides last night's lobs, was the lob he attempted at the end of the first half in the TCU game, which was a complete lack of basketball IQ considering we were up three with the ball and under 25 seconds left. Because of his poor floor decision making prowess, rather mystifying, we somehow were down 1 at the half.

Plenty of it in this thread alone.

Not sure i have interest in reading it.

Criticism is fine. but if there is actual bashing, those posters are absolute idiots. Frank was a HUUUUUUUGE part of this season. And is improvement year over year is astronomical.

If someone says otherwise, ban them for a week - if not for life. too stupid.

My biggest concern and curiosity is how Frank will handle it next year when he goes from being at worst option 1b on offense to potentially option 4 on offense behind Bazely, Brissett and maybe even Marek. What hurt Frank in previous years is that he’s not good when the ball isn’t in his hands and his first instinct is too look for his shot and not set up others. That’s not going to fly next year if Brissett and Marek keep improving and Bazely is as good as advertised.

Criticism is warranted. He needs to be in the gym all offseason. I'm leaving it at that.

This will blow the minds of a few people but Frank is a better up and down the court PG than a half court PG.

Earlier in the year on his radio show JB said, “Frank is not a running pg”.

Yes, that 2 on 1 break where he tried to throw a lob from just inside half court was textbook. Got lucky the ball got tipped back to him and bailed out by a foul

Yes, that 2 on 1 break where he tried to throw a lob from just inside half court was textbook. Got lucky the ball got tipped back to him and bailed out by a foul

Indeed. It was very similar to that lob he attempted at the end of the first half in the TCU game...which did end up having a very ill impact afterwards heading into the half of that game. I guess he didn't learn from that horrendous blunder... :(

Cherry pick? When we did break, usually off steals, he almost always finished.

A Sherm or Flynn instantly makes this team better, IMO. A dude who can get into the paint at will against any D and collapse it will make life SO much easier. Those guys aren’t gonna be standing around pounding the rock into the ground before we finally start doing something under 10 sec left on the SC.
Flynn is a different story. Totally agree that his quickness solves a lot of this team's problems. Though he creates new ones on D.

There was no one reason but Frank didn't shoot well. If he had, we probably win. That's not debatable. Same could be said about OB.

Frank wasn't horrible but he was definitely out of sorts. The alley oop attempt(s) are what made it maddening. One super aggressive failed lob, ok...multiple ones...dude, chill.

The play at the end that they had to review was weird as well. Shot clock winding down and he lackadaisically dribbles into a double team. Such a wth moment right there.

Tired, sick, injured... I don't know, but he just seemed kinda lethargic, both mentally and physically.

Last edited:
Criticism is warranted. He needs to be in the gym all offseason. I'm leaving it at that.

"I love playing with Frank," SU forward Tyler Lydon said. "I love playing with all our guys, but Frank is a great playmaker. He sees the court really well. He's one of those guys that is always trying to make the right play, whether it's getting it to a big or to a guard. He's just trying to make the right play."

“He's in the gym every day working before practice. That's all you can really ask for."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom