Hurley to UK | Syracusefan.com

Hurley to UK

He wont be able to turn down their insane godfather offer of like 13.5/yr
Well I am always wrong but why would he. UConn is a better program than UK right now and with less stress coaching. Hurley can stay at UConn, be worshipped by the fan base and keep winning. At Kentucky you might make a few more $ but a lot of crap comes with it. Let him stay at UConn and maybe one day we can give them a game.

Well I am always wrong but why would he. UConn is a better program than UK right now and with less stress coaching. Hurley can stay at UConn, be worshipped by the fan base and keep winning. At Kentucky you might make a few more $ but a lot of crap comes with it. Let him stay at UConn and maybe one day we can give them a game.
Because money is nice - he also might revel the opportunity of a new challenge

thing is, these coaches esp the Harbough/Cal/Hurley types have egos so massive they can't just sit satisfied at one place after achieving something - he'll be going somewhere
This is what I was thinking. Not sure he has anything else to accomplish at Connecticut. If he goes to UK and wins another he probably is on the Mt. Rushmore of coaches immediately.

The guy has the most punchable face in all college basketball. His own players probably want to take a crack at him. Maybe his own mom.

Untitled (1).jpeg

thing is, these coaches esp the Harbough/Cal/Hurley types have egos so massive they can't just sit satisfied at one place after achieving something - he'll be going somewhere
Agree. I'll be curious to see where the next few days lead us. What else is he going to say about leaving immediately after winning the national championship? He may very well stay at UConn, but I wouldn't take anything he says right now as absolute, in the heat of the moment.

Agree. I'll be curious to see where the next few days lead us. What else is he going to say about leaving immediately after winning the national championship? He may very well stay at UConn, but I wouldn't take anything he says right now as absolute, in the heat of the moment.
Yep. All these guys say the right things in the moment. But I'm pretty sure he and his agent are talkin bout stuff today...

The question is how many UCONN donors will pony up to meet or get close to the UK number?

The guy has the most punchable face in all college basketball. His own players probably want to take a crack at him. Maybe his own mom.

View attachment 239761
I very much assume his coaching style is to get the players to unite against a common enemy.. him.

Also, probably the ‘I’m going to be brutally honest and not coddle and be tough and tell it like it is’ yada yada schtick.

Last edited:
It is a massive ego play for Hurley.

Imagine if UK just went back to back? The national attention would be insane compared to UConn. No doubt UConn is the better program the last 25 years - but UK has that national gravitas that UConn just doesn’t have.

If Hurley were to go to UK and go back to back after going back to back at UConn - he’d be the first to do it at 2 different schools.

I do think he’s an old school big east guy through and through. It’s hard to imagine him leaving the northeast, but he’d have a chance to do something that no coach has ever done.

The money doesn’t hurt either lol

If he stays at UConn, he can eat off these two titles for years as long as his teams remain competitive. If he goes to Kentucky, he gets two or three years to deliver big results. Most of his recruits at UConn have been from the East Coast, as well.

I think he'd be wise to leverage a big offer from Kentucky into a big raise, but stay put at UConn. Some overlap here with the blue bloods discussion in the other thread. Blue bloods don't lose head coaches over money very often (ever?). Roy Williams is the only one that comes to mind in my lifetime, but that wasn't over money it was him going home.

Hopefully he chases the money, though.

The big difference between UConn and Kentucky is in the budget, the peripheral amenities, the expense accounts, the bonuses and Derby Day. Connecticut elite could give a ... about Bball,it's middle class and blue collar. Kentucky elite live and breathe and donate to basketball. Calipari made more from outside commercial pursuits. The opportunities exist to really get RICH in Kentucky. Personally I don't think Hurley really cares about that. Happy with a ball and whistle and a bunch of kids who want to ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom