I’ll be that guy | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I’ll be that guy

I think the other question for me is all the injuries which we have a long list of. We can’t know the extent of any of them but I’m wondering about strength and conditioning of some of these players that are breaking down so quickly.

Because we are smarter now and realize that health is a significant predictor of success.

I would not schedule a bottom of the barrel FCS team in week 5. It feels like NFL teams scheduling preseason games in the middle of the season. No NFL coaches would play their stars in that silly hypothetical.
The SEC routinely schedules a body bag game the week prior to rivalry week expressly for the purpose of working out any problems and resting players before rivalry. Can't get much deeper into a season than that.

If we’re going to get upset about Tucker, we should be equally as upset about Bergeron. He was dinged up in the 1st and came back out.

Even in blowouts, starters will typically play a series or 2 in the 2nd Half.

Football’s a tough sport, you can get injured at any given moment. I’m not mad guys were out there. Especially when they got dinged and were then removed (Tucker). I’m more mad that after our cornerstones got dinged, that they played more.

If we’re going to get upset about Tucker, we should be equally as upset about Bergeron. He was dinged up in the 1st and came back out.

Even in blowouts, starters will typically play a series or 2 in the 2nd Half.

Football’s a tough sport, you can get injured at any given moment. I’m not mad guys were out there. Especially when they got dinged and were then removed (Tucker). I’m more mad that after our cornerstones got dinged, that they played more.

What worried me was that SU should have scored before Bergeron went down and had to go for it on 4th down. I was surprised they just didn't bulldoze into the endzone before that 4th down.

Whatever, they wanted to get Tucker back on track by getting him a record. Can't we all understand that? Was it a risk, of course, but the kids wanted it. It was right there, once he had the scare, they got it straightened out. No big deal, in my opinion.

Someone really wanted to break that record doing it against Wagner. That’s kind of sad. That’s not breaking a record IMO. Makes it worse.

Dinos not the a very good decision maker. This was an excellent opportunity to get Carlos, the Rbs and the rest of the reserves much needed experience. These kids bust their butts all year and instead of building depth and giving his
"Underbelly " valuable game reps he risk his star player and other starters up 48 to zip.
I dont think hes stupid but hes certainly not the brightest bulb in the lamp. Ridiculous decision on his part.
Meathead squared.

Luckily there’s nothing like a portal kids can go to when the HC decides to not throw the backups a bone.

Because we are smarter now and realize that health is a significant predictor of success.

I would not schedule a bottom of the barrel FCS team in week 5. It feels like NFL teams scheduling preseason games in the middle of the season. No NFL coaches would play their stars in that silly hypothetical.
Dinos decision to play the starters in the second half is indefensible. Its a bone head move that unnecessarily put kids at risk of injury and it was poor sportsmanship against an outmatched team with a 49 to 0 lead that hasn't won a game since 2019. Bat S bad decision. Period.

The only guy that had a significant injury was a 3rd stringer. Should they have mercy ruled the whole second half?

The poor decision maker is 5-0. with two weeks to get ready.

In fairness; white, Beck and Anae are why we’re 5-0. We’ve seen years of poor game time decision making by DB to know he’s just a CEO at this point. Those guys are why we’re 5-0.

It actually didn't surprise me that Dino left Sean in to get the record. It is one of those decisions that usually works out, but if he gets injured it totally blows up in your face. Why we had to risk an injury with Garrett, when they could have put a cheerleader behind center just to have them hand off...well, that is a different question.

This isn't the usual situation where a powerhouse leaves the starters in for a series; it was a situation where both coaches had already agreed to shorten the game. There are a lot of teams that would have felt that SU was "urinating" in their faces by leaving the big guns in and would have been more than happy to get tossed from the game in exchange for inflicting serious injury on our stars in the pile. It has happened to us a time or two in years gone by. We are lucky that Wagner was either too polite or too inept to do the same thing.

So they were chasing a record for Tucker. We all know that so don't give me the nonsense about trying out the halftime adjustments. We outgained them about 34500000000000000000 yards to -400 in the first half and we could have scored one more time before the half ended. What were we adjusting to? Did we expect the Wagner seniors to add up their credits at halftime, take their diplomas, and grab an Uber back to Staten Island before the 3rd Q and were surprised when it didn't happen? Their seniors came back out to finish the game? Wow, that was unexpected so we had better adjust to that!

I assume that Dino didn't want to appear to be unsporting by saying that we were trying to get a record for a guy against a team that was probably about as demoralized as you can get. So he threw in the part about making adjustments. We dodged a major, major bullet though.

You were worried about multiple significant injuries

it didn’t happen

‘’from a risk avoidance perspective, net zero

sure it’s legit to hand wring over it, but when the risk is retired, celebrate
Just because someone who didnt evacuate during a hurricane survives doesn’t make their decision to stay a good one.
Lets face it. In game decision making isnt one of Dinos gifts. He runs a good program and is well respected by his players and the administration and press. He needs to leave the rest to his assistants.

I personally think it was a tough decision for Dino. Tucker works his butt off and this was a reward for that but that said, I also understand that if the others behind Tucker are also working hard to get snaps they too should get them. As a coach sometimes it just isn't that easy. I'm not saying I agree with Tucker being in but I do see some of the reasoning behind it.

I think we all know - and HCDB too - that the starters should not have come out to start the second half. Especially once the decision was made to shorten the remaining quarters, let the twos and threes play.

When the starters came out to start the second half, I couldn't believe it. I'm a bad guy to ask because I've gotten over Ted Gregory getting hurt against Colgate. It seems to me that these injuries always happen in the garbage games. Plus, it would have given the second string some playing time as a reward for their hard work.

Del-Rio Wilson looks like a stud to me. Allen looks really good too.

Just because someone who didnt evacuate during a hurricane survives doesn’t make their decision to stay a good one.
Lets face it. In game decision making isnt one of Dinos gifts. He runs a good program and is well respected by his players and the administration and press. He needs to leave the rest to his assistants.
Having been through many hurricanes, evacuation is often worse than not. As always, all facts must be taken en toto and each individual makes the decision they believe is best for them.

That said, Tucker is an AA RB who is a dark horse Heisman candidate. Who knows all the internal team stuff, regardless, Babers gave Tucker a shot at the record and pulled him when he went down. One shot, no more. The record was there for the taking because Tucker earned a shot at it in the first half. Babers gave him one series to get it, Tucker accepted the challenge. Likewise, when Tucker went down, Babers did not let Tucker back in and quit Tucker accepted the decision. Do you honestly believe that Tucker would not have stepped back on the field if Babers would have let him?

Further, Babers has been stockpiling depth. No, we are not Bama, tOSU, or Clemson, but we have a luxury we have not seen in decades where we can rely on the next man up. Babers can allow players to pursue some individual goals along with team goals. It's not wrong.

We don't have to agree with all of the decisions. Acting like we would be better at making them is nonsense, otherwise we would be making millions of dollars making the decisions for one team or another. Additionally, we would have all the inside information to make the decisions and people on the outside would be criticizing us constantly for making "bad" decisions without knowing all the facts.

Enjoy the win. Su is 5-0! It's been a long time coming.

The only guy that had a significant injury was a 3rd stringer. Should they have mercy ruled the whole second half?

The poor decision maker is 5-0. with two weeks to get ready.
Being 5-0 doesn’t mean everything you do is perfect. This was an unbelievably bad decision by Dino, and sure losing Denis isn’t going to absolutely kill us, but how about everybody we lost the first 4 games? The injury bug is shredding us and Dino still put out our best players to try and get Sean a single game record. It’s an absolute joke any way you spin it.

49-0 ! What sort of adjustments were done? Stay in bounds every run to burn even more clock? Bozo comment (not you, from Dino) about adjustments. TF you adjusting? Changing the snap count? Seeing if Schrader can throw left handed?
Seriously. Everything we we were doing was working and it was all vanilla, what were the adjustments that GS and ST had to be on the field for?

When you agree to shorten the second half by playing 10 minute quarters you say, hey coach, I need to get Tucker 26 yards for the single game rushing record. Let him break off a 30 yard run, he’ll step out of bounds and then I take everyone out.

A record set against Wagner shouldn't even count.

Many of the all-time Cuse records were set against soupcans.

It is what it is.

It’s too bad Tuck had that one long run called back for holding, and that Shrader poached a TD* from him on that first drive.

* I’m with OiG that not giving Tuck the ball there was kinda a d’(k move on his part.
Tuck woulda scored, and if for some reason not, then maybe you run that play again and pull it that next time.

I hear you, but you have to balance a player's legacy. It isn't as easy as just considering the team. Tucker hasn't had the year we all expected. He needed only 20 yards to have a record that has stood for 40+ years. Was it a risk, of course, but it didn't seem like much of a risk prior to the scare. So, deciding to go for the record doesn't seem like that big of a deal prior to the scare, after the scare it seems like the dumbest decision ever.
Some people would have bitched that Dino didn't let him chase the record.

Whatever, they wanted to get Tucker back on track by getting him a record. Can't we all understand that? Was it a risk, of course, but the kids wanted it. It was right there, once he had the scare, they got it straightened out. No big deal, in my opinion.
What's the point of getting a record vs. maybe the worst team in Div. 2?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom