I ask this with all sincerity (UVa - SU comparison) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I ask this with all sincerity (UVa - SU comparison)

Working on it as we speak.

r

You obviously missed my sarcastic intent. I love this team & I am totally on board with OP.

The only thing I was "serious" about in my post was that Jimmy does his best when we are underrated and underdogs, so I like us in that role, which is why I made the post.

He does a great job regardless. We've been favorites and still dominated. Look at the Fab and the AO teams. It's almost mythical that we've ever been underdogs, how many times in the past 40 years were we projected not to win 20 games?

i want to have s e xual relations with scarlet johansson.
tee can you make that happen?

Then you will be having sex with everyone Scarlett has had sex with. :oops:

Part of the explanation is that this site has inflated expectations. Robertson, Lydon, Coleman and Howard should all be good for a bunch of wins but will need a lot more from the newcomers. Battle, the cream of the crop. is a Jonny Flynn clone. In Jonny's freshman year we were 9th in the BE, did not make it to the NCAA's and lost in the quarters of the NIT. The other newcomers are (excuse the term) pigs in a poke.

Encouraged by JBs rave reviews, but JB is as much interested in filling the seats as he is in making an accurate prediction.

It will fun no matter how good they are.

So much WRONG in this post but I'll just address the bolded. The main reason we were mediocre (by our standards) in Jonny's freshman year was because we were a young team forced to play freshmen, mostly due to major knee injuries to Devo and Andy Rautins. Donte Greene and Rick Jackson were also freshmen, and KONGenaet and a redshirt soph Onuaku, were forced into new roles because of the shorter bench. Add in an also "offensively-challenged" Paul Harris and it really wasn't a surprise the team struggled, especially from the perimeter. We lost a few close games like GTown, where both Jonny and Donte LED the team, but we were just too young and didn't have enough. The Devo injury was also unexpected and came after a few games were played, so the team had to adjust on the fly. He wouldve been a primary ballhandler and release valve for our freshman PG.
Also, JB has NEVER, to my recollection, ever pushed a "seat filling" agenda when commenting on his teams. He calls it the way it is and if he thinks we're lacking, he most definitely says so. JMHO

Last edited:
I have absolutely no clue how Battle's play could ever be compared to that of Jonny Flynn. Outside of the fact that the both are good dunkers, there is not much alike about them.

Let's look at a few of the differences:

Flynn was probably a shade under 6'0" tall. Battle is 6'6 1/2".

Flynn was a point guard. Battle is a two-guard.

Flynn was a mediocre defender. Battle is an outstanding defender.

Flynn was a flashy, exciting lead guard, who was a solid all-around offensive player. He was a point guard with a score-first mentality. Good dunker, especially for his size. Battle will hopefully be an exciting two-guard and all-around player. He will look to distribute and set up his teammates. If anything, some of us might hope he's less unselfish. Great slasher and dunker.

Flynn was a decent and sometimes very good shooter. Battle will be a decent shooter as well and could be a lot better than advertised. Their shooting %'s could be similar from deep. That's one other other similarity I will grant you.

Correct. I got my wires crossed with Alterique Gilbert (I think) that we were pursuing. He chose UConn . Dumb comparison of Flynn with Battle. However, I think the idea that we have to prove ourselves this year is sound.

So much WRONG in this post but I'll just address the bolded. The main reason we were mediocre (by our standards) in Jonny's freshman year was because we were a young team forced to play freshmen, mostly due to major knee injuries to Devo and Andy Rautins. Donte Greene and Rick Jackson were also freshmen, and KONGenaet and a redshirt soph Onuaku, were forced into new roles because of the shorter bench. Add in an also "offensively-challenged" Paul Harris and it really wasn't a surprise the team struggled, especially from the perimeter. We lost a few close games like GTown, where both Jonny and Donte LED the team, but we were just too young and didn't have enough. The Devo injury was also unexpected and came after a few games were played, so the team had to adjust on the fly. He wouldve been a primary ballhandler and release valve for our freshman PG.
Also, JB has NEVER, by my recollection, ever pushed a "seat filling" agenda when commenting on his teams. He calls it the way it is and if he thinks we're lacking, he most definitely says so. JMHO

I hear you, - Devo was a big loss - even so, that "hot" team seriously underachieved.

Correct. I got my wires crossed with Alterique Gilbert (I think) that we were pursuing. He chose UConn . Dumb comparison of Flynn with Battle. However, I think the idea that we have to prove ourselves this year is sound.

Oh, okay.

On the have to prove ourselves angle, of course everything is on paper. But the newcomers have track records, especially the two 5th year grad transfers. No doubt, we have to see what we will get from the freshmen but Battle has an NBA physique, so I doubt he won't be ready physically. Anything we get from Moyer or Thompson is a bonus. Chukwu will never be smaller than 7'2".

tony bennett is a great coach, but this face is what i will forever think of when i hear his name. dude was freakin SHELL SHOCKED!! "what...why...how...mommy..."

forumrunner_20160329_111027-png.58754

I really think his calm steady hand approach hurt his team in this instance. The team was also shell shocked and it may have helped to get everybody riled in that situation. I agree that Bennett is a very good coach and that Virginia had a great team, but Miller hit the nail on the head in his analysis during the game. We turned the game into an up and down athletic event. Virginia likes to play very structured, control the game and pick your spots type of bball. We dictated to them when and where they had to try to score and it changed everything. The best was when we got the lead went back to the zone and suddenly UVA looked lost against it. I think it gives us a bit of a blueprint moving forward against Bennett and UVA. Still that was a never happens everything has to go your way comeback where all the major damage was in about a 4 minute spurt.

That said this year I can understand them being ranked ahead of us. I don't have to agree but its understandable. I think we have the players and depth to be better than anyone in the ACC this year. I'm not as high on UVA, UNC, Lville as most of the national press seem to be but they are all undoubtedly going to be very good squads. Duke's freshman are already getting banged up and they haven't even played an exhibition yet. When was the last time Giles played a full season of bball at any level? They do have 4 returning players that we know can play ACC ball though.

Perhaps you meant 6'0" Gillon, the graduate transfer? As opposed to the FRESHMAN Flynn?

Hardly a sound comparison either.

From a UVA fan's perspective, I definitely think you guys are getting overlooked nationally and in the ACC. I think you're a top 4 ACC team and top 10 team nationally (damn the ACC is sick). And I think UVA may be overvalued a bit because of the success Bennett has had in replacing his stars the last few years. From Mike Scott to Joe Harris to Justin Anderson to Malcolm Brogdon. Someone just seems to step up year after year. Maybe that won't happen this year and we'll slide back to the middle of the pack. It's impossible to tell. But I'm not betting against Tony. Just like you guys aren't betting against Boeheim. But I don't think you should necessarily be offended that the media is picking UVA ahead of Syracuse. We've been more consistent in the regular season than you guys have lately so it's not completely unreasonable.

As for our matchup, a regular season win isn't going to be enough to wash away what happened in the Elite 8. We need to beat you deep in the tournament for any semblance of revenge. And probably in dramatic fashion. I'll never get over that loss. And you'll never forget that win. But I'm hoping that last year isn't the last time we're fighting for a Final Four berth. Good luck to you all this season.

From a UVA fan's perspective, I definitely think you guys are getting overlooked nationally and in the ACC. I think you're a top 4 ACC team and top 10 team nationally (damn the ACC is sick). And I think UVA may be overvalued a bit because of the success Bennett has had in replacing his stars the last few years. From Mike Scott to Joe Harris to Justin Anderson to Malcolm Brogdon. Someone just seems to step up year after year. Maybe that won't happen this year and we'll slide back to the middle of the pack. It's impossible to tell. But I'm not betting against Tony. Just like you guys aren't betting against Boeheim. But I don't think you should necessarily be offended that the media is picking UVA ahead of Syracuse. We've been more consistent in the regular season than you guys have lately so it's not completely unreasonable.

As for our matchup, a regular season win isn't going to be enough to wash away what happened in the Elite 8. We need to beat you deep in the tournament for any semblance of revenge. And probably in dramatic fashion. I'll never get over that loss. And you'll never forget that win. But I'm hoping that last year isn't the last time we're fighting for a Final Four berth. Good luck to you all this season.

And yet another classy UVa fan posts here. Welcome! (I haven't seen your name anyway though I see you have 27 posts so far.)

Don't disagree with anything my UVa brethren said here. I think Cuse is underrated, and certainly should be in the discussion with Duke, UNC, UVa & Louisville at the top of the league. I think we're a little overrated right now because it'll take the OOC schedule to gel and work the rotation out. By Feb-Mar I do expect us to be about where we're ranked right now though.

Have spent some time watching the team practice, and attended the intrasquad scrimmage we had this past Sunday, and the guy jhmoss alluded to stepping up is Isaiah Wilkins. If I had never seen this team play before, I would have said after the scrimmage that he's the best player on the team. He scored inside and out, handled the ball like a wing, defended, rebounded, and hit some pinpoint passes. Bottom line, he's a different player.

Nichols replacing Gill is at worst a wash, at best an upgrade. He's not necessarily as physical as Gill, but is polished, and a better defender.

Replacing Brogdon will be "by committee". We need Hall, Thompson & Shayok to bump their scoring by 3-4 ppg, and get 6-7 per game from Guy (freshman). You don't just replace the ACC POY with no dropoff, but we've got some solid re-enforcements in place.

No doubt the ACC will be a war this year, but Bennett has won with less talent. I've been following UVa hoops for 35 years, and from the #1 guy to the #13 guy, this is the deepest talent pool we've had. Everyone can play...challenge will be figuring out the 9-10 who actually do.

Don't disagree with anything my UVa brethren said here. I think Cuse is underrated, and certainly should be in the discussion with Duke, UNC, UVa & Louisville at the top of the league. I think we're a little overrated right now because it'll take the OOC schedule to gel and work the rotation out. By Feb-Mar I do expect us to be about where we're ranked right now though.

Have spent some time watching the team practice, and attended the intrasquad scrimmage we had this past Sunday, and the guy jhmoss alluded to stepping up is Isaiah Wilkins. If I had never seen this team play before, I would have said after the scrimmage that he's the best player on the team. He scored inside and out, handled the ball like a wing, defended, rebounded, and hit some pinpoint passes. Bottom line, he's a different player.

Nichols replacing Gill is at worst a wash, at best an upgrade. He's not necessarily as physical as Gill, but is polished, and a better defender.

Replacing Brogdon will be "by committee". We need Hall, Thompson & Shayok to bump their scoring by 3-4 ppg, and get 6-7 per game from Guy (freshman). You don't just replace the ACC POY with no dropoff, but we've got some solid re-enforcements in place.

No doubt the ACC will be a war this year, but Bennett has won with less talent. I've been following UVa hoops for 35 years, and from the #1 guy to the #13 guy, this is the deepest talent pool we've had. Everyone can play...challenge will be figuring out the 9-10 who actually do.

Hello SRHoo from the unofficial XX SyracuseFan greeter of FRIENDLY and CLASSY opposition!

And yet another classy UVa fan posts here. Welcome! (I haven't seen your name anyway though I see you have 27 posts so far.)
Be it online or off, UVA fans are generally some of the classiest I've ever met. Here in Charlotte all I heard were congrats and a genuine sense of sportsmanship after the E8 last year. Maybe that may change over time after they build a more consistent record of wins and tough losses, but overall I'd rank them right at the top for being great fans. JMHO

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom