I hope Geno Thorpe watched our game last night... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

I hope Geno Thorpe watched our game last night...

If Geno is watching he probably feels more vindicated than upset.

He was needed on this team and he was sat for extended periods of time.

He may not be as good as Frank or Battle but it's ridiculous that you're virtually getting DNPs when you're the only guard backup.
Thorpe wasn't healthy while he was here or he would have played more. He chose not to wait to heal sufficiently so he could see more minutes and decided instead to leave the team.

Boeheim did what he thought was appropriate for the team under the circumstances, and Thorpe did what he thought was best for himself under the circumstances.

There are no heroes or villains here, just some butt-hurt fans.

Last edited:
Thorpe wasn't healthy while he was here or he would have played more. He chose not to wait to heal sufficiently so he could see more minutes and decided instead to leave the team.

Boeheim did what he thought was appropriate for the team under the circumstances, and Thorpe did what he thought was best for himself under the circumstances.

There are no heroes or villains here, just some butt-hurt fans.

The first part is pure speculation. He obviously thought he was healthy enough to be playing.

Second part, sure.

Nobody said there was a villain or hero, but JB does what JB does.

The first part is pure speculation. He obviously thought he was healthy enough to be playing.

Second part, sure.

Nobody said there was a villain or hero, but JB does what JB does.
How is that part speculation? He was sitting out games in preseason and non-conference, so he was certainly not healthy.

How is that part speculation? He was sitting out games in preseason and non-conference, so he was certainly not healthy.

he didn't leave because he didn't play in the preseason. He left because he wasn't playing when Frank wasn't doing well and Geno was fine will sitting on the bench.

Why would he leave if he was injured? It was stated in the news and by his dad he wasn't happy with his PT.

he didn't leave because he didn't play in the preseason. He left because he wasn't playing when Frank wasn't doing well and Geno was fine will sitting on the bench.

Why would he leave if he was injured? It was stated in the news and by his dad he wasn't happy with his PT.
I'm not suggesting he was not healthy enough to play when he left. But he wasn't healthy earlier, lost most of his minutes to the Howard/Battle combination, and for reasons known only to him, decided not to stay and try to earn back a bigger role on this team.

I'm not suggesting he was not healthy enough to play when he left. But he wasn't healthy earlier, lost most of his minutes to the Howard/Battle combination, and for reasons known only to him, decided not to stay and try to earn back a bigger role on this team.

If he didn't play in that Maryland game he knew his role and didn't like it and left.

If he didn't play in that Maryland game he knew his role and didn't like it and left.
So you're suggesting his role was carved in stone at that point? Sorry, that's hard for me to buy.

So you're suggesting his role was carved in stone at that point? Sorry, that's hard for me to buy.

Yeah, but you're old and semi-reasonable (despite your love of the yankees). Now imagine a 20 something year old who just wanted to play a little more basketball.

No, but judging by history it's tough to crack JBs rotation.

Yeah, but you're old and semi-reasonable (despite your love of the yankees). Now imagine a 20 something year old who just wanted to play a little more basketball.
Semi-reasonable might be a stretch.

No, but judging by history it's tough to crack JBs rotation.
I think Thorpe's impatience may have gotten the best of him. He had to know regular minutes were bound to open up for him eventually if he had stayed.

I think Thorpe's impatience may have gotten the best of him. He had to know regular minutes were bound to open up for him eventually if he had stayed.

I think so as well. But wasn't looking good for him.

I think Thorpe's experience epitomizes everything that is wrong with the grad transfer rule. Initially the theory was that a student-athlete who completed his undergrad degree and fulfilled his obligation to his original institution could use remaining eligibility to transfer and pursue an advanced degree. Original requirements were put in place that declared the field of study at the new institution had to be one that was not offered by the initial institution. This requirement proved impossible to enforce and if still in place is widely ignored and never policed. Theory was a good one and certainly benefited the student athlete.

Thorpe saw a high profile program with only two returning backcourt players and a point guard that had been marginalized last year and was thought to be on an extremely short leash. He jumped at the opportunity for a last chance to polish his athletic resume as a potential career move. Academics and an advanced degree were NEVER part of the equation and Geno's course load (can you call one class a load) made that very clear. When it became apparent that Frank would be an integral part of this year's team and that he would have no real shot at a featured role he decided the effort was not worth any potential reward. Why practice everyday if it does not lead to visibility that can improve athletic career prospects when there was no desire to take advantage of the advanced education opportunities?

Don't blame the kid, blame the system.

Thorpe's experience is one example of a transfer that did not work -- there are many, many others that have worked out well for the player and the new program. Look no further than White & Gillon, who were big contributors to our 10-8 ACC season.

The unfortunate reality is that Battle & Howard need to play 37 to 40 minutes for this team to have a chance to win. So, this transfer did not work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom