I tried...I am giving up... | Syracusefan.com

I tried...I am giving up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoov50

Starter
Perhaps most of you won't care, but to those posters whom I've developed a message board "friendship" with I wanted to post this.

Over the last year and a half or so I've gone from someone who couldn't wait to check this board on a daily basis to someone who rarely checks this board. It has turned into what Facebook, Twitter and social media in general has become. All people do is complain and nitpick every tiny detail. I have no problem with criticism, in fact if you look through my posts I am critical of our players and coaches quite a bit. Now instead of being a site where I can go to enjoy spirited exchanges with other SU fans (some I agree with and some I don't) I end up trying to sort through post after post of nonsense. I watch sports for an escape from the constant doom and gloom attitude of the world (and rest of the internet), now it seems that doom and gloom has invaded syracusefan.com.

After an excellent win last night when most non-fans and many "fans" thought we didn't even deserve to make the tournament, I came here hoping to read about it. Of course that didn't happen instead, 3 of 4 posts are about our "crappy" zone (which was a major factor in holding the PAC-12's leading scoring team to a season low) or posts about a single decision our coach or a player made in the heat of competition. What a bunch of posers! Get a grip, we are and have been a severely limited team all season long, regardless of the reasons, we have been. From moment our names popped up on TBS and then was spoken after the 4 second audio delay we have been playing with house money. Enjoy it, this team has overachieved and if things fall into place next season should have a very good chance to be an excellent team.

I have may not post as frequently as some of the "regulars," but I have been part of this community through at least the last three iterations. To all the "friends" I have made on this board, you know how to contact me if things around here ever go back to normal or if some of you split off.

Don't bother posting any snarky or sarcastic comments because I don't plan to check back here, I won't say ever, but certainly not for a while.

Whether you think I offered any insight or value to this board or not, I'm out.

Go Orange!

Hoov50 has a point. The game thread last night, after a season when some were just hoping we maintained the winning-season streak, was one of the worst of the year. Downright garbage. It used to be the chat room was unbearable. That crown now belongs to the game thread. The same complaints (some actually verbatim) over and over and over and over again. WE GET IT.

What did everyone expect? To watch a demolition derby all year only to have the Bolshoi Ballet break out in the tournament? :rolleyes:

/rant

Note: this post is not aimed at 917. Kinda. ;)

Perhaps most of you won't care, but to those posters whom I've developed a message board "friendship" with I wanted to post this.

Over the last year and a half or so I've gone from someone who couldn't wait to check this board on a daily basis to someone who rarely checks this board. It has turned into what Facebook, Twitter and social media in general has become. All people do is complain and nitpick every tiny detail. I have no problem with criticism, in fact if you look through my posts I am critical of our players and coaches quite a bit. Now instead of being a site where I can go to enjoy spirited exchanges with other SU fans (some I agree with and some I don't) I end up trying to sort through post after post of nonsense. I watch sports for an escape from the constant doom and gloom attitude of the world (and rest of the internet), now it seems that doom and gloom has invaded syracusefan.com.

After an excellent win last night when most non-fans and many "fans" thought we didn't even deserve to make the tournament, I came here hoping to read about it. Of course that didn't happen instead, 3 of 4 posts are about our "crappy" zone (which was a major factor in holding the PAC-12's leading scoring team to a season low) or posts about a single decision our coach or a player made in the heat of competition. What a bunch of 'ing posers! Get a grip, we are and have been a severely limited team all season long, regardless of the reasons, we have been. From moment our names popped up on TBS and then was spoken after the 4 second audio delay we have been playing with house money. Enjoy it, this team has overachieved and if things fall into place next season should have a very good chance to be an excellent team.

I have may not post as frequently as some of the "regulars," but I have been part of this community through at least the last three iterations. To all the "friends" I have made on this board, you know how to contact me if things around here ever go back to normal or if some of you split off.

Don't bother posting any snarky or sarcastic comments because I don't plan to check back here, I won't say ever, but certainly not for a while.

Go Orange!
I, for one, respect your decision.:cool:

Hoov50 has a point. The game thread last night, after a season when some were just hoping we maintained the winning-season streak, was one of the worst of the year. Downright garbage. It used to be the chat room was unbearable. That crown now belongs to the game thread. The same complaints (some actually verbatim) over and over and over and over again. WE GET IT.

What did everyone expect? To watch a demolition derby all year only to have the Bolshoi Ballet break out in the tournament? :rolleyes:

/rant

I stopped going near those game threads during games once it became necessary to have a hazmat suit to go in there.

Been that way since I’ve been on, the 90s. It’s wht I’m still in the scout team. I rarely read a post from anyone other than one of the originals. The rest seems to be nonsense and I dont know how they enjoy it.

Last edited:
You're letting a thread where a buncha of slobberin' hypercritical superfans react instantaneously to every play upset you?

Don't read the thread. I don't. Never go near those gameday threads. (Uh, except for this year's Super Bowl thread, but that was different...)

It does amaze me how negative this board is consistently. I mean someone started a thread comparing Oshae to Malachi Richardson because he had a very good game last night. He is more worried about him leaving for the NBA than enjoying the victory. Ahhh just move right past those threads.

/rant

I made some "end this season" posts last night because I legitimately have a hard time stomaching the type of basketball out there, as someone who has played the game his entire life and watched thousands and thousands of hours of it.

Obviously I want to win every game and don't want to literally lose, but to say it is challenging to watch is a vast understatement.

It does amaze me how negative this board is consistently. I mean someone started a thread comparing Oshae to Malachi Richardson because he had a very good game last night. He is more worried about him leaving for the NBA than enjoying the victory. Ahhh just move right past those threads.
That was me who started the thread. If you couldn't understand that the post was semi-joking then I don't know what to tell you. The thread wasn't toxic at all aside from a few of you who went over the top because, God forbid someone joke about good players going pro at Syracuse, and turned it toxic for zero reason.

Oshae is a guy who is ultra talented and a great tournament could boost him into the 1st Round. Ok, that's what happened with Malachi Richardson...ITS A JOKE.

If he does go pro, which I don't think he will, good for him.

Again...A semi-joking thread based off another guy who went off in the tourney for us. It was a decent discussion led by another poster who knows him personally and provided some awesome insight until the holier than thou Board police jumped in because they interpreted the thread wrong.

Last edited:
Hov - don't give up. Yes, the threads were bizarrely negative for a lot of us - the Mal/OB, the FT debate, and the Frank hate. Weird after a victory.

But give it time, I'm hoping the quality stuff comes today.

Also, I don't want to say it too loudly as to jinx it but the chat room has changed to a very reasonable place to catch an ingame discussion.

Compared to how Facebook has been the last year or so, this place is like a vacation at Sandles.

We all want the best for our team and get upset when they play funky. I will post a concern once in a while, but have tried to avoid highly critical ones. I am a positive and optimistic individual and try to have my posts reflect that attitude.

I read most threads on here and, yes, there is quite a bit of negativity at times. Human nature, just gotta roll with it.

We heard our name on selection Sunday...After a very difficult season!

Last nights game was similar to so many of ours this year....it wasn’t pretty but the team kept grinding away. Let’s toast the team and each other! Baby Jesus willing we will win on Friday night against our old nemesis!

If these young men approach life like they do basketball then they will be successful because in the words of Jimmy V...they ‘never give up’.

Stay Classy.

He's only saying out loud what many are feeling. The negativity is over-the-top, IMO.
The tipping point might've been, not the Game Thread since that's pure live-action emotion, but the exhaustive, almost pathological need to wring every ounce of negative energy out of an NCAA win, again, from a team that few of us thought would even be here!
There is a blindspot to positive optimism developing, and its infecting this board to a level I haven't seen before.
Martyrdom? Not by a long shot- just profound sadness and lingering frustration. JMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
And people wonder why I don’t post in the game threads but instead start my own posts.

He's only saying out loud what many are feeling. The negativity is over-the-top, IMO.
The tipping point might've been, not the Game Thread since that's pure live-action emotion, but the exhaustive, almost pathological need to wring every ounce of negative energy out of an NCAA win, again, from a team that few of us thought would even be here!
There is a blindspot to positive optimism developing, and its infecting this board to a level I haven't seen before.
Martyrdom? Not by a long shot- just profound sadness and lingering frustration. JMHO
It also seems some are looking for stuff to be offended by. I have no clue how 3 posters got upset by a thread titled "Oshae Malachi Richardson Brissett". Oshae was phenomenal and I pointed that out in jest. Most posters provided a good discussion then the inevitable Board Police showed up to lecture about how it's not funny to joke about players leaving early after a win.

I acutally enjoy reading the game thread. I was reading last night and was cracking up. People invest so much of emotions. Someone should organize a board 3 on 3 tournament to see who can really hoop. It might turn into a MMA match. LOL

Excellent post, Hoov. I feel the same way and already deactivated my fb account months ago. Let's try to stay positive and like he said, it's House Money!
So very proud of this team even if they lost that tough fight yesterday.

Excellent post, Hoov. I feel the same way and already deactivated my fb account months ago. Let's try to stay positive and like he said, it's House Money!
So very proud of this team even if they lost that tough fight yesterday.
You’re VERY sensitive also.

After an excellent win last night when most non-fans and many "fans" thought we didn't even deserve to make the tournament, I came here hoping to read about it. Of course that didn't happen instead, 3 of 4 posts are about our "crappy" zone (which was a major factor in holding the PAC-12's leading scoring team to a season low) or posts about a single decision our coach or a player made in the heat of competition. What a bunch of 'ing posers! Get a grip, we are and have been a severely limited team all season long, regardless of the reasons, we have been. From moment our names popped up on TBS and then was spoken after the 4 second audio delay we have been playing with house money. Enjoy it, this team has overachieved and if things fall into place next season should have a very good chance to be an excellent team.

Go Orange!
I experienced something similar and thought about posting it last night... I was at the game and even though the Orange didn’t play great, was euphoric and pumped up after seeing us grind out an NCAA dub without high expectations for the season. Was expecting to get on the board and celebrate/bask in the victory with fellow fans, and I would say 80+ percent of the trending threads had a negative connotation to it. I’ve been around the board for 5 years or so now, and I should expect it, but I was genuinely surprised and discouraged (probably a good thing I didn’t read the game thread). Our team, the team we support and cheer for and brings us all together, WON a game to advance in the NCAA tourney... and there is complaints about style of play?! I don’t get it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom