If I could... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

If I could...

I'd agree with you if there was someone better to shoot it but there ain't.

Joseph is starting to come into his own a bit, that's helpful.

Mike G is a better in-game shooter than Cooney. I would rather him take 30 shots a game, then i would Trevor shooting 8-10 shots that have zero chance to go in.

Honestly, the blinders people have for him is unreal. Absolutely baffling.

Note: Every time someone dares to suggest something about Trevor that is less than ideal, 90% of the board =

giphy.gif
]

I hope of we're banned from the Tournament next year he transfers and lights us up in the Dome playing for Georgetown.

He's a very good role player who should be counted on to average 8-10 a game being asked to be a top 2 option. That's pretty much what it comes down to.

If that's true, there must have been a huge recruiting miss that I'm not familiar with. Because it looks like Cooney's always been pegged as the starting 2 on this year's team. And virtually every Boeheim team has had a shooting guard as its #2 offensive option.

Mike G is a better in-game shooter than Cooney. I would rather him take 30 shots a game, then i would Trevor shooting 8-10 shots that have zero chance to go in.

Honestly, the blinders people have for him is unreal. Absolutely baffling.

Note: Every time someone dares to suggest something about Trevor that is less than ideal, 90% of the board =

giphy.gif
]

If G plays the 2 who plays the 3?

Statistically, Cooney is not far off Triche's pace in terms of offensive production. Just thought I'd mention that.

Triche was widely regarded as a consistently good (not great) SG for us, yet Cooney is somehow a mid-major talent. I find this interesting, especially considering the similarities in their size, athleticism, and defense.

'Playmaking' is the only area where Triche is clearly better than Cooney. The higher assist numbers were at least partially the result of the better talent around Triche though.

Statistically, Cooney is not far off Triche's pace in terms of offensive production. Just thought I'd mention that.

Triche was widely regarded as a consistently good (not great) SG for us, yet Cooney is somehow a mid-major talent. I find this interesting, especially considering the similarities in their size, athleticism, and defense.

'Playmaking' is the only area where Triche is clearly better than Cooney. The higher assist numbers were at least partially the result of the better talent around Triche though.

Triche was 100% better on defense. He actually contested 3 point shots and was adept at preventing opposing guards from driving freely into the lane.

Triche was 100% better on defense. He actually contested 3 point shots and was adept at preventing opposing guards from driving freely into the lane.

He also had a partner up top who knew what he was doing on the court more than once out of every 10 plays. Cooney has to cover more ground than Triche had to. I think you're exaggerating the difference in their defensive ability.

He also had a partner up top who knew what he was doing on the court more than once out of every 10 plays. Cooney has to cover more ground than Triche had to. I think you're exaggerating the difference in their defensive ability.

I think the opposite is true. I think Cooney gets far more credit for his defense than he deserves. The only thing he actually does well is jump passes. And his mistakes amplify Kaleb's mistakes. Perfect example a couple games ago. Guard is up top dribbing from left to right. Cooney is on the right side and is looking for the pick coming on his backside so much that the guard with the ball stops moving left and just attacks the basket. All on Cooney. And that pick never came. He was worried about something that wasn't going to happen, and gave up an easy shot from inside the foul line.

I think the opposite is true. I think Cooney gets far more credit for his defense than he deserves. The only thing he actually does well is jump passes. And his mistakes amplify Kaleb's mistakes. Perfect example a couple games ago. Guard is up top dribbing from left to right. Cooney is on the right side and is looking for the pick coming on his backside so much that the guard with the ball stops moving left and just attacks the basket. All on Cooney. And that pick never came. He was worried about something that wasn't going to happen, and gave up an easy shot from inside the foul line.

Every guard in our zone has made mistakes like that. Triche was strong but he was not the most fleet of foot guard we've had. His lateral quickness was lacking at times which allowed opposing guards to penetrate. The difference is what happened to those penetrating guards back when Triche played vs. what happens now. When Triche played, we had forwards who knew how to cut off the passing lanes quickly and we had an off guard who could apply some pressure. Now, at all times, we have at least one forward who's slow to recognize and rotate, a Center who's castrated by foul trouble worries, and off guards in la la land.

I'd love to watch highlight reels of guards being able to get by Triche (which he would allow in certain cases) only to have MCW rip 'em. Cooney's a conerback playing without a safety over the top.

Brandon was a PG that could play SG and did to accommodate our roster.

His instincts to be a playmaker were leaps and bounds ahead of TC.

TC has Rak and G. Cupboard isn't bare. And it wasn't bare last year either.

I don't think TC is a mid major talent, I just think he makes terrible decisions. Maybe JB is telling him to chuck and he's just listening to the coach. Maybe he has no "off" switch. I don't know.

And I'm not a BT fanboy saying this.

Both have plenty of positives as well as negatives.

I'd love to watch highlight reels of guards being able to get by Triche (which he would allow in certain cases) only to have MCW rip 'em. Cooney's a conerback playing without a safety over the top.

Listen, I like Cooney, but he's not a great defender. That's all I'm saying. Triche was MUCH better than him, regardless of who was where on either team.

Brandon was a PG that could play SG and did to accommodate our roster.

His instincts to be a playmaker were leaps and bounds ahead of TC.

TC has Rak and G. Cupboard isn't bare. And it wasn't bare last year either.

I don't think TC is a mid major talent, I just think he makes terrible decisions. Maybe JB is telling him to chuck and he's just listening to the coach. Maybe he has no "off" switch. I don't know.

And I'm not a BT fanboy saying this.

Both have plenty of positives as well as negatives.

I agree Cooney makes some really bad decisions, especially in transition. I don't think he's a great player, I just don't understand the criticisms some feel are valid that aren't backed up by the stats, like saying he's not a 'high D1' talent when he obviously is.

The sticky part about comparing him with Triche is that they had/have different roles. Triche was asked to cover the PG role at times and create for others, so he did. Cooney is asked to shoot whenever he sees daylight, so he does. Triche never experienced 40 minutes of face-guarding, just like Cooney doesn't experience the burden of running point.

Both players had/have different strengths and weaknesses but are similar enough that you can't definitively say one is head and shoulders more productive than the other. However, that's exactly what some are arguing when they say Cooney isn't a D1 talent (assuming they feel Triche was).

I agree Cooney makes some really bad decisions, especially in transition. I don't think he's a great player, I just don't understand the criticisms some feel are valid that aren't backed up by the stats, like saying he's not a 'high D1' talent when he obviously is.

The sticky part about comparing him with Triche is that they had/have different roles. Triche was asked to cover the PG role at times and create for others, so he did. Cooney is asked to shoot whenever he sees daylight, so he does. Triche never experienced 40 minutes of face-guarding, just like Cooney doesn't experience the burden of running point.

Both players had/have different strengths and weaknesses but are similar enough that you can't definitively say one is head and shoulders more productive than the other. However, that's exactly what some are arguing when they say Cooney isn't a D1 talent (assuming they feel Triche was).

Hey, completely agree with everything here.

My only issue, and I don't think it's with you, is that people are acting like Kaleb is such an awful defender when in fact sometimes it's really not his fault. At least recently. Cooney isn't helping him on defense as much as I'd like to see, but Cooney never faces the retribution from Coach when he misses an assignment (or so it seems). Don't get me wrong, Kaleb is not even a good defender at this point, but he isn't terrible as many here say.

I would literally beg Cooney to stop shooting. Literally beg. I swear, and I know this is sacrilege, but he's got McNamara disease, he thinks if he can get a peek at the hoop, no matter whether he's off balance or where he is on the court, he can make it. Guess what, he can't. He can't.

Boeheim hasn't done him any favors all year, defending his play no matter what, contending he's been guarded tough, blah, blah. Everyone is guarded tough. Cooney sometimes can shoot when no one is around him, he gets his feet set and he has time. Occasionally he breaks through to hit a shot when he's guarded. But that's not his norm. 4 - 14 is his top end. I find myself literally begging him to do a shot fake, step inside and shoot a 15-footer. But no, then I remember he's Cooney and he can't do it.

I wish Dion could have taught a "how to lead a fast break class" at the Melo center while he was in town. There was no dude in SU history I was happier headed to the other end one on one. Every time he rose up I was like no way is he going to score or why didn't he pass that only to eat crow as he dunked his way into the lottery.

Miss those days!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom