if JB were an anonymous poster, he'd get slaughtered | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

if JB were an anonymous poster, he'd get slaughtered

CuseFaninVT said:
JUCOs might work in a pinch, like when a freshman decides to go pro last minute who you were never suspecting would go. That's what I think someone thought. I have no earthly clue if we could have found one, but JB seems averse to that. Maybe he should be. Albany seems to do well with it.

A juco you don't like ties up a scholarship for two years. There are recruing hits and misses all the time, but he probably thought KJ was more prepared than he was. For this year that's a miss but Joseph's story isn't finished to know whether he is a miss for his career.

And you might say Sherm was a bit more of a player than Kaleb.

Actually, are we really trying to compare these two sets of PGs?
Not trying to compare them, just that Sherm had the advantage of playing against a top quality player in Pearl instead of starting as a freshman. Who knows how much it might have helped if Kaleb had to understudy Ennis and then taking over the team next year.

I heard JB make the claim in one of the post game press conferences that the other guards only shoot 20% from three, but the thing is that Trevor is 5/35 for three in the last 5 games (14%). Surely we've hit a point where we could provide a little bit of time for the other guards. At this point, I'd even let Joseph and Bus shoot. It couldn't be that much worse than what Trevor's been doing. When you throw in the fact that Trevor's hurt it does seem like it's the right time to give him just a little rest.
Joseph's defensive is a disaster which is the main reason his minutes have been cut.

trevor cooney is the anti scud missile weapon of three pointers.
they rain over him like tp streamers at a frat house party.

image.jpg

i can remember pages of posts regarding juco pg option. some felt it was a wasted schollie.
Matt Carlino being one of them. Syracuse had zero interest. Now he's playing for Marquette and putting up decent, not great numbers. He can shoot though. Something Syracuse desperately lacks.

Edited to add that Carlino wasn't a JUCO, he was/is a 5th year senior and would have only counted this season.

Last edited:
Because he has nobody better to bring in. And if you have seen the guy make 10 shots in a row in practice every day you tend to have confidence that his next shot will fall.

So he makes those fall away drifting three's in practice?

"guard spot," not 'spots'

Boeheim was clearly referring to Joseph. He even added three qualifiers that all had to be met to make it easier to determine who he was talking about. Does Cooney play, at the very least, average (aka good) defense by most every statistical measure? Yes. Does he have good size for a SG? Yup. Can he shoot? Nope. We all know that guys who can drain 7 3's in a game or 37% of their first 150 3pt attempts in a season clearly cannot shoot.
5 bucks says Joseph is gone before next year...Someone will work OT to get him to a Temple, Duquesne, Manhattan, etc

Matt Carlino being one of them. Syracuse had zero interest. Now he's playing for Marquette and putting up decent, not great numbers. He can shoot though. Something Syracuse desperately lacks.

Edited to add that Carlino wasn't a JUCO, he was/is a 5th year senior and would have only counted this season.
We technically have 5 guards on roster now...Problem is 3 of them are not season-long ACC caliber...Patterson may be a keeper only because his scrappiness may help on a loaded team. KJ I don't know if he has the guts to play ACC ball. BJ is a tweener, not fluid enough to be a guard, not strong enough to be a forward, he needs to go someplace to start and feel comfortable...he could have a nice career, but not here. Plus Malachi and Frank are coming...Guard is covered for next year, unlike the Center position

5 bucks says Joseph is gone before next year...Someone will work OT to get him to a Temple, Duquesne, Manhattan, etc

I'd be disappointed if that were to happen. I fully expect him to be a much better player next year. In fact, the team absorbed a lot of learning curve this year, and I surely hope it's not lost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom