If we end up in the NIT... | Syracusefan.com

If we end up in the NIT...

but we wouldnt play them until the semi's and we never get that far

wait.. overthinking it.. you said same bracket so i guess that would mean playing them to get to the semi's

Last edited:
So, wild thought here. If Jim is coming back next year, any chance he lets Mike coach the NIT with 100% free reign?

Gotta say "no" because Jim has never won the NIT and one would expect he will fight to the bitter end over these next 13 months. But wouldn't it be cool?

Well,
That has no value. ;)
We have never won the NIT.

It would be nice to win it once just in case a couple of decades down the road it changes from the Not Important Tournament to the Not Insignificant Tournament.

Never know what will be needed to build our historical resume.

So, wild thought here. If Jim is coming back next year, any chance he lets Mike coach the NIT with 100% free reign?

Gotta say "no" because Jim has never won the NIT and one would expect he will fight to the bitter end over these next 13 months. But wouldn't it be cool?

No. JB would never do that even it if was an exhibition game.

I am still thinking we are tournament bound. IDK why I do but I do. I think the bubble being so soft has a large part of it. Also I think what a lot of people are forgetting is the fact that that would mean only 8 teams from the ACC get in. If we are the strongest conference like everyone says we are how can they justify leaving us out? We pose more of a threat and have had nail biting victories this season...don't think for a second the tournament doesn't think about those things or the Boeheim effect.

I would bet a large sum of money that we end up a 2 seed in the same bracket as 1 - seed UNC Greensboro.

The NIT can play all kinds of games with seeding. It would be must see TV for them if that matchup were to happen.

"must see" is questionable. BUt will be funny.

I am still thinking we are tournament bound. IDK why I do but I do. I think the bubble being so soft has a large part of it. Also I think what a lot of people are forgetting is the fact that that would mean only 8 teams from the ACC get in. If we are the strongest conference like everyone says we are how can they justify leaving us out? We pose more of a threat and have had nail biting victories this season...don't think for a second the tournament doesn't think about those things or the Boeheim effect.
My only concern is we may get payback for a controversial inclusion last year and be excluded so a case for favoritism / bias to an elite program can't be argued.

The bubble is always soft.

Game would need to be in Greensboro.

We will not turn it down. First, it would be unfair to our ACC mates where we would be forfeiting some $$ for the NIT. Second, who are we to turn it down? Talk about a bad look for the school.

Multiple schools have turned down NIT bids in the past, including LSU last year I believe. I am pretty sure the ACC and our fellow conference mates couldn't care less whether or not SU plays in the NIT and turns down some nominal payment. As a program that considers itself just under blue blood status the bad look is not qualifying for the NCAA tournament not turning down a pointless NIT invite.

My only concern is we may get payback for a controversial inclusion last year and be excluded so a case for favoritism / bias to an elite program can't be argued.

Agreed, I think our run last year would have helped us had we been on the bubble say a few years later but to be right back there the next year the committee is not likely to give us the benefit of doubt two years straight.

Multiple schools have turned down NIT bids in the past, including LSU last year I believe. I am pretty sure the ACC and our fellow conference mates couldn't care less whether or not SU plays in the NIT and turns down some nominal payment. As a program that considers itself just under blue blood status the bad look is not qualifying for the NCAA tournament not turning down a pointless NIT invite.
LSU had compliance issues last year.

Agreed, I think our run last year would have helped us had we been on the bubble say a few years later but to be right back there the next year the committee is not likely to give us the benefit of doubt two years straight.
They didn't give us the benefit of the doubt last year. We were safely in.

They didn't give us the benefit of the doubt last year. We were safely in.

My point was we could have been left out and no one would have raised that much of a stink, 90% of the fans on here thought we were out. Looking back we did deserve to be in but we got a pretty favorable look from the committee last year, were unlikely to get that same courtesy this season.

My point was we could have been left out and no one would have raised that much of a stink, 90% of the fans on here thought we were out. Looking back we did deserve to be in but we got a pretty favorable look from the committee last year, were unlikely to get that same courtesy this season.
I believe we will be either the last team in or the last team out.

What would he have 100% free reign with? When to use timeouts and whether to give Frank a few more or few less minutes? He's stuck with the personnel he has and it might not be the smartest move in the world to try to implement a new system at the 11th (or would it be the 23rd) hour.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom