If we play like we did tonight the rest of the way we are a def NCAA T team | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If we play like we did tonight the rest of the way we are a def NCAA T team

From the outside looking in (as a non-Syracuse fan), you guys need Coleman to play to his potential.

He does that, and you guys are a VERY tough out. He doesn't need to be the star, just a consistent 9 & 6 guy who stays out of foul trouble. Richardson & Gbinije are good and would start for just about anyone in the league. UVa is literally Cooney's kriptonyte, but he's a good player who will give most teams in the ACC fits. Roberson didn't have his best game, but you haven't and won't play many teams on your schedule who are better on the defensive boards than us.

You have a good team, and have your Captain back in charge of the ship. Play the way you did tonight against most teams in the league, and you win. We were able to keep Cooney in check, and most teams don't have a "Big 3" better than Brogdon, Gill & Perrantes.

From the outside looking in (as a non-Syracuse fan), you guys need Coleman to play to his potential.

I couldn't agree more -- I've started multiple threads about how he is by far the most important variable to this team's success. But, he's 23 years old, I just think he is who he is. Good kid who was able to dominate in high school because of his size, but just doesn't have the fundamentals at this level.

I couldn't agree more -- I've started multiple threads about how he is by far the most important variable to this team's success. But, he's 23 years old, I just think he is who he is. Good kid who was able to dominate in high school because of his size, but just doesn't have the fundamentals at this level.

What we see now is what Coleman has always been (when not injured). There is no great metamorphosis coming. He gives you everything he has every second he is on the floor. Not sure I agree with you about the "fundamentals" part. He has very good footwork, shapes up well when posting, understands where he needs to be on D, can rebound and outlet - as long as no one is on his body or if he needs to take more than a few steps to get to the ball off the rim.

IMO, DC's shortcomings have always been about his lack of athleticism, explosiveness, and speed.

Duke is a good matchup for us sans Jefferson.

K and Roy really play to our strengths in general. We always have a shot against Duke and UNC because neither of them are going to work the clock for 25 seconds if they don't have to.

How many open looks did Lydon pass up? Thought he might be coming around last game. Guess not. 1 shot the whole game?

Or he's a freshman and coming along is a season-long process that can't be judged on a game-by-game basis.

Mal and Roberson have been awesome since conference play started.
G and Cooney need to just be solid.
We played well in a tough arena tonight.

MR hitting a clutch late in the game 3 really impressed me.

MR hitting a clutch late in the game 3 really impressed me.
He's been doing it for a while now, and has arguably been our most consistent and efficient scorer in ACC play. He's becoming adept at creating for himself and can score from multiple places on the floor. Freshmen normally don't progress like this statistically as they move into the meat of the schedule.

He's been doing it for a while now, and has arguably been our most consistent and efficient scorer in ACC play. He's becoming adept at creating for himself and can score from multiple places on the floor. Freshmen normally don't progress like this statistically as they move into the meat of the schedule.

Next year, having MR at the 2 and TB at the 1 might be a very deadly combination. Kid Mamba is lightning fast to the basket and he could then kick out to MR would be a deadly combination. But I imagine FH would be playing a lot at the 1 spot.

Next year, having MR at the 2 and TB at the 1 might be a very deadly combination. Kid Mamba is lightning fast to the basket and he could then kick out to MR would be a deadly combination. But I imagine FH would be playing a lot at the 1 spot.
There will be much to look forward to, provided Mali is back. I think he will be back, but should he move up the draft boards and have some reasonable assurance of going in the first round, all bets are off. As they should be, even it doesn't square with what would be best for "my" team.

There will be much to look forward to, provided Mali is back. I think he will be back, but should he move up the draft boards and have some reasonable assurance of going in the first round, all bets are off. As they should be, even it doesn't square with what would be best for "my" team.

Unlike previous years, the Orange are not getting the same national exposure. If they make the NCAA and we win 2 games and he has a really good performance he may be gone. But that's a lot if's. I'm not even sure yet this team is capable of making the NCAA tournament although a lot of teams have lost this week.

Unlike previous years, the Orange are not getting the same national exposure. If they make the NCAA and we win 2 games and he has a really good performance he may be gone. But that's a lot if's. I'm not even sure yet this team is capable of making the NCAA tournament although a lot of teams have lost this week.
Dave, all it takes is one team to deem him worthy of a high draft pick. How far this team goes is irrelevant. There are no secrets anymore; it's not like this is the 1940s and someone can go unnoticed by scouts provided they don't show up on a newsreel.

Trust me, I have been singing Frank's praises since day one. I completely agree with everything you said. He is our PG going forward.

Not sure what you are seeing. He's 1-18 with 6 assists and 4 turnovers during the ACC.

We need the next 5.

Frank Howard is a playmaker and needs to play.

He's going to be good. Say this every game.

honestly wouldn't be surprised if he has a jump in production like MCW did in his sophomore year. He is going to be refreshing after this long PG dry spell we are suffering through.

Boeheimed

Hey if he was 8-18 with 10 assists and 2 turnovers, I could see the argument to play him more, but he's been our least productive offensive and defensive player throughout the conference season. I know his ball handling and passing look smooth, but the numbers don't say he is effective.

Hey if he was 8-18 with 10 assists and 2 turnovers, I could see the argument to play him more, but he's been our least productive offensive and defensive player throughout the conference season. I know his ball handling and passing look smooth, but the numbers don't say he is effective.

I give those numbers zero predictability value. The kid needs more run before we rule him out as a shooter, and there is no doubt he can lead a break, break a press, and run an offense, but he is being eased into the system because of "better" (read more proven) options. How can you improve your AtTO ratio if you are pulled as soon as making a turnover?

Cooney is shooting 35%, with about a 1.4 Assist/Turnover ratio. How effective is that?

Last night I could understand why he played most of the second half. He still gives a threat to hit a big three (which he did), and in a game we were losing the entire time, you need that. No problem with it last night given the circumstances. He also still deflects a lot of passes up top.

That said, I would LOVE to see the assist numbers if Howard got 37 minutes per game. 37.

Cooney's PER has gone up to 14.4 thus Howard should remain on the bench. Cooney has been good in ACC play along with Mal and G has been good since UNC.

The G/Cooney rotation is playing 38 MPG it just happening. When one of them struggles then Howard should get off the bench. This season is too much over for him to being getting major minutes now.

JB has given up on Kaleb he atleast puts Howard in now 5-6 minutes and gives each Cooney/G a short blow.

Cooney is shooting 35%, with about a 1.4 Assist/Turnover ratio. How effective is that?

Last night I could understand why he played most of the second half. He still gives a threat to hit a big three (which he did), and in a game we were losing the entire time, you need that. No problem with it last night given the circumstances. He also still deflects a lot of passes up top.

That said, I would LOVE to see the assist numbers if Howard got 37 minutes per game. 37.

Cooney is 39 percent from three for ACC play, despite his rough night last night.

Howard is not MCW. MCW came in for short stretches his freshman year and produced.

Do you remember Monday night? Howard couldn't even dribble against Duke's pressure.

If Howard plays that's just another person for the other team to not guard on offense.

Dave, all it takes is one team to deem him worthy of a high draft pick. How far this team goes is irrelevant. There are no secrets anymore; it's not like this is the 1940s and someone can go unnoticed by scouts provided they don't show up on a newsreel.

I really don't want to see him go. TR either. I was hoping one more year out of each of them.

Howard has potential to be a Scoop Jardine type PG not a MCW.
I get Howard is 6'5" but he needs to work on shot as he isn't as athletic as MCW. Not many kids in his recruiting range come in and are immediate contributors as Freshman.

I love Howard's potential and believe he should gotten more PT earlier in the year but right now he is just the 3rd guard who won't even get 10 MPG when that is what he should have been getting earlier in the year.

Roberson is going nowhere he will be back next year.
As will Malachi. Richardson needs to play SG next year for his NBA position. He will not be a SF in the NBA but he has the size and potential to be an NBA 2 guard. Come back next year be the guy and if he has a first/second all-ACC go onto the NBA.

The only guys gone for sure next year are Cooney and Gbinije. However, I would bet Joseph transfers and we add another 2 recruits with our open scholarship and Joseph's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom