I'm old but the play that most irked me | Syracusefan.com

I'm old but the play that most irked me

I also thought he'd get the T. I'm not buying the angle that he shouldn't be able to think about doing that, though. After the ball is through the net and you're hanging there, a quick little slap doesn't require much thought. Getting down from the rim and jogging/running back on defense is a pretty mindless part of the game, anyway.

I had immediate PTSD flashbacks to wanting to strangle Terrence Roberts after he did that vs. Vermont (his slap was on the left side of the right basket also). The chances of the game going to OT would have clearly been less had that not happened.

Last edited:
I didn’t like it. He’s a chest pounder too. I favor modest blue collar players that work hard for the team, not seeking accolades. But if he’s needs that to get pumped, go for it but walk the walk

I had immediate PTSD flashbacks to wanting to strangle Terrence Roberts after he did that vs. Vermont. The chances of the game going to OT would have clearly been less had that not happened.

Sorrentine from the parking lot...I was barely alive in '86 so have no idea how bad that was but the Vermont game is the #1 worst sporting event experience of my life. I've never been more miserable after any game in any sport.

Never liked the flashy guys that couldnt keep it up all game, every game. Oshae’s not devo or waiters right now.

I’m old also. Lol, but I don’t even remember him doing that, must have been looking at chat. Anyway, Oshae is my favorite player I like his energy vs Frank who seems to have none. But I can see where people may think differently. My wife complains about the players that show off, especially when the team is losing. That’s the time to focus on the next play, cheer and whoop it up when you get ahead...

Oshae tapping the backboard after his dunk. He is the king of look at me stuff after big plays but in the midst of that game, that someone even would think about that - bugged me.
Amen.
If anyone doesn't like it then he's old fashioned or a buzz kill.

And football is even worse...players think nothing of getting penalties for post-play actions...even when their teams are getting pounded.
In baseball it's stupid posing at home plate and jogging instead of running.

The code name for this seems to be "swagger."
It's as if everyone is copying professional wrestling showbiz nonsense.
Just play the game hard!

We can debate how this started.
Probably traceable to some of Muhammad Ali's antics.
And in team sports to the old Jets' New York Sack Exchange dance.
What a legacy.

It's one reason I really appreciated Rakeem Christmas.
No foolishness...all business.
The guy graduated in 3 years...worked hard to become a terrific player...and is marrying Michael Jordan's daughter.
Now THAT's a success story worth talking about.

Yes, let's be like the basketball players in the 60's who would routinely fist fight each other instead of 'showboating'.

I was a junior in HS in 86.

Good Lord some of you people are young.

And then we have Cowtown who was on his 5th career in 86.
Did I miss a post that got deleted? Why the multiple references to 1986 in this thread?

(For the record, I was playing Freshman Hoops back in '85-'86... doing my best to mimic Pearl when I was on the floor.)

Yes, let's be like the basketball players in the 60's who would routinely fist fight each other instead of 'showboating'.

I don't really agree with you, but awesome post. That made me laugh out loud.

Did I miss a post that got deleted? Why the multiple references to 1986 in this thread?

(For the record, I was playing Freshman Hoops back in '85-'86... doing my best to mimic Pearl when I was on the floor.)

I assume he meant 87 with Ke---- he who shall not be named

lol. It's like some of you never played ball before and are just appalled at the behavior of these young men who can't control their emotions. Yet, you demand their energy and passion. Just don't want to see them express it. It's one thing to get a technical but don't kill the guy for making a great move and a potentially momentum changing play that we severely needed.

Did you not see VaTech? They showboated and celebrated the entire game! That's what irked me. Very unsportsmanlike program. Especially their coach and point guard. Yet, some members love Buzz's old school, in your face approach. Blue collar guy, I guess.

C'mon man, he tapped the backboard after a monster dunk. It was awesome!

lol. It's like some of you never played ball before and are just appalled at the behavior of these young men who can't control their emotions. Yet, you demand their energy and passion. Just don't want to see them express it. It's one thing to get a technical but don't kill the guy for making a great move and a potentially momentum changing play that we severely needed.

Did you not see VaTech? They showboated and celebrated the entire game! That's what irked me. Very unsportsmanlike program. Especially their coach and point guard. Yet, some members love Buzz's old school, in your face approach. Blue collar guy, I guess.

C'mon man, he tapped the backboard after a monster dunk. It was awesome!
How was Buzz acting in an unsportsmanlike manner?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom