Interviews with several coaches have taken place | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Interviews with several coaches have taken place

It's got nothing to do with Coach Mac, Meatheads or NE Football. Nothing at all. There's no doubt that recruiting is more national than ever due to the transfer of information and ease of travel. Doesn't mean that radius and the importance of how close to home is lessened one bit. Just because we can recruit kids from Texas doesn't mean we'll do it well.
if recruiting is more national, how can it be that the importance of being close to home hasn't lessened one bit

Parents want their kids close to home, and that's never going to change. Yeah, it puts us at a disadvantage because we're not in Florida, Texas, or DMV.
That's just the truth. Any person I talk to says the same thing, our biggest disadvantage is location. It is what it is.

The best fit for our system might be a stud QB out of San Diego. Good luck bringing him in.

if recruiting is more national, how can it be that the importance of being close to home hasn't lessened one bit
Because I'm willing to guarantee that the amount of kids traveling x amount of miles hasn't changed. Kids who want to leave, leave, kids who don't, don't. It's just that the kids who used to move 500 miles away now move 2,500 miles away.

That's just the truth. Any person I talk to says the same thing, our biggest disadvantage is location. It is what it is.

The best fit for our system might be a stud QB out of San Diego. Good luck bringing him in.

Or Oregon or Tennessee... Good luck bringing him in.

I hear there is a kid running the Wing t at Weedsport, he's 5-6 164 pounds. He's our guy. Northeast!!!!

It better because if you are looking to build a winner from predominately Northeast kids it won't happen. Best athletes aren't really playing football anymore in the Northeast. Times have changed. The waters are overfished and meatheads cant figure that out. We will also never beat out the factory schools for NE recruits. Sure we will grab a few kids like we always do, which is fine but for success we need to start doing things differently. Northeast means nothing

Okay, go get that stud from the West or the Deep South to come here. Good luck with that philosophy on Syracuse's budget.

Or Oregon or Tennessee... Good luck bringing him in.

I hear there is a kid running the Wing t at Weedsport, he's 5-6 164 pounds. He's our guy. Northeast!!!!
Such a dumb statement. Nobody said recruit Weedsport, but, just like you always do, keep yelling the same thing loudly.

Okay, go get that stud from the West or the Deep South to come here. Good luck with that philosophy on Syracuse's budget.

Good luck focusing your recruiting in areas where the sport is dying and over recruited. It's bad business not that I would expect you to understand as you were saying how difficult it would be to fire Shafer a couple weeks ago. Sure looks it.

Good luck focusing your recruiting in areas where the sport is dying and over recruited. It's bad business not that I would expect you to understand as you were saying how difficult it would be to fire Shafer a couple weeks ago. Sure looks it.
syracuse has a bigger budget than they used to

that doesn't matter either, i'm sure

If Riley tanks next year at Nebraska, Frost will be one and done here, even at 5-7 or 6-6. I am sure there will be a huge buyout figure but that won't stop anyone.

If we hire Frost, people better become Husker fans because it's not a question of if but when, I am fine with it but it may be pretty damn quick if Riley cant get 7 or 8 next year. They will eventually fire Riley because they 9 wins wont keep people happy there.
I agree with this and it's one of the reasons I want Babers over him (besides the fact that Babers is a proven HC). Think we have a chance to keep Babers for 10 years. Think Frost would be a short-timer. Not sure what he brings that Babers doesn't.

Such a dumb statement. Nobody said recruit Weedsport, but, just like you always do, keep yelling the same thing loudly.

Your approach and outlook just scream "small time" Have to start looking forward, you won't build a winner recruiting mostly in the Northeast, it's the reason why PSU still stinks. Meathead approach

Don't make my argument into what you want it to be. Never said where to focus my efforts, I said radius matters. But, once again, hear what you want.

And just because it was done, doesn't mean it wasn't difficult. The next guy still has to do a better job. And I hope to hell he does.

Don't make my argument into what you want it to be. Never said where to focus my efforts, I said radius matters. But, once again, hear what you want.

And just because it was done, doesn't mean it wasn't difficult. The next guy still has to do a better job. And I hope to hell he does.

HA. It's not that difficult. never is. Stick to your guns though. Always a way in and way out.

Your approach and outlook just scream "small time" Have to start looking forward, you won't build a winner recruiting mostly in the Northeast, it's the reason why PSU still stinks. Meathead approach
Once again, nobody ever said to focus primarily on the NE. I don't know how to make it any clearer.

SU needs a HC that has a system that works AND can evaluate HS talent along with having a solid network of HS coaches across the country they trust to be able to help find the hidden gems. I don't think SU can get multiple 4 to 5 star guys but if the coach can recruit to his system successfully we will have us a heck of a team.

IthacaBarrel said:

Shortsighted. What P5 school I the NE runs an exciting offense? Maybe Ohio State?!

If we want studs from NJ (our closest fertile recruiting ground) we'd better be offering something unique. Oregon's offense in the dome would be a great start.

"You can go play meathead ball for Addazzio or play indoors for Frost"

Also - FL 2-3 rung kids start coming here again and who knows?

Shortsighted. What P5 school I the NE runs an exciting offense? Maybe Ohio State?!

If we want studs from NJ (our closest fertile recruiting ground) we'd better be offering something unique. Oregon's offense in the dome would be a great start.

"You can go play meathead ball for Addazzio or play indoors for Frost"

Also - FL 2-3 rung kids start coming here again and who knows?

See that makes some sense. I will agree with that to a certain extent don't know how realistic it is PSU offense is boring as well. I just think the talent is overrated in the Northeast, much of the top talent is heading to factories and we are left picking scraps. I don't see recruiting the Northeast as very important anymore at all.

Need to always remember where most the football is being played these days and remember we are in the ACC now too. we aren't old state U, being close to home is great if we were, maybe. Su has plenty of cache nationally no need to recruit Dolgeville

See that makes some sense. I will agree with that to a certain extent don't know how realistic it is PSU offense is boring as well. I just think the talent is overrated in the Northeast, much of the top talent is heading to factories and we are left picking scraps. I don't see recruiting the Northeast as very important anymore at all.

Need to always remember where most the football is being played these days and remember we are in the ACC now too.
a lot of our grunts can come from the northeast. qbs gotta come from somewhere else. no more of this cecil howard 15-47 passing for his whole senior year nonsense

a lot of our grunts can come from the northeast. qbs gotta come from somewhere else. no more of this cecil howard 15-47 passing for his whole senior year nonsense

Sure, like I said one assistant to cover PA, one to cover NJ/ downstate. Local kids? figure it out. I am not too worried about Dolgeville though

if you watched the TCU/Baylor game they get almost their whole squad from texas, there has to be some talent left down there playing at some lower level schools thats better than most of the leftovers in the NE

I'm not sure why people are against recruiting the northeast. If there are only @10 NYS players a year worthy of a 'ship we've not been getting our fair share of them for a while. Instead of getting 2-4 of those guys we need to get 6-8 of those type players. They might not all be top end talent but that should be our foundation. Occasionally we'll get a Jake Zembec in our back yard and we should at least be on his radar. We haven't been winning enough of the NYS talent battles. Add in what's produced in NJ and what we can pick up on in PA, Ohio, and occasionally CT and that should be 12-18 players a year we can reasonably expect to pick SU. Round out the rest of the class with some Florida/Ga kids or the occasional wb from Oregon and we're back to respectability fairly quickly. Either way there is enough Northeast talent to build around, we just need to do a better job securing it.

Last edited:
IthacaBarrel said:
See that makes some sense. I will agree with that to a certain extent don't know how realistic it is PSU offense is boring as well. I just think the talent is overrated in the Northeast, much of the top talent is heading to factories and we are left picking scraps. I don't see recruiting the Northeast as very important anymore at all. Need to always remember where most the football is being played these days and remember we are in the ACC now too. we aren't old state U, being close to home is great if we were, maybe. Su has plenty of cache nationally no need to recruit Dolgeville

I'd go with a similar strategy that Shafer has used. Be super selective in the NE and only go after the best, focus on eventually owning NJ... Fill in the rest with FL/GA/South 2-3 tier kids.