Is HCIW Hopkins Written In Stone? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Is HCIW Hopkins Written In Stone?

A lot of people on this board seem to struggle with reading comprehension.
Obviously I didn't think it was a very compelling case,if,if,if,but,but,but enough excuses he's been there 21 years for crissake

You make good points. We have had JB so long and my/SU fans in general expectations have become calibrated to expect consistent greatness year in and year out. That's why we break attendance records and represent so well at away venues. After watching the last nine games I am concerned that our expectations post JB may need to become recalibrated for the short term and possibly for the long term. I think Hopkins is a good recruiter (however how hard is it to recruit to Syracuse?) but his x's & o's philosophy and in-game coaching skills are at best still up in the air and at worst a large concern.

I'm not saying I am infallible in my argument and Mike Hopkins might be a good coach but he is no James Arthur Boeheim and that's scary as hell. Cuse fans have been spoiled by 40 years of greatness and we're staring at a transition that very few programs have to make. Only Duke, North Carolina and maybe Indiana could probably relate.

What's the silver lining to the Mike Hopkins experiment? Well I hope JB took good notes and has some solid pointers for Mike.

Well, here's the thing: JAB was the critical voice in setting up Mike to take over. That's an endorsement you should be giddy about, since JAB is your dude. I've never been a JB superfan, but still recognize that he should know coaching talent and recognize it in a person he's spent so much time with in the program. Gotta believe JB is a good judge in this situation, even though i don't like the way he thinks or does everything.

Another thing: Hop may actually end up being a 'better' coach than JB, but still not have a better record from it because of the different situation he will inherit, and the overall landscape of college hoops. And, that will be a beeyotch to 'analyze' and discuss in this here forum.

We all know JB has recommended Hop be the next head coach. If you are the administration or Mark Coyle should you ignore the advice of the man who has built SU basketball into what it is? I sure as heck hope not. JB has spent his life building this program and he sure as heck isn't going to recommend Hop if he has any concerns about him getting the job done. JB wants to win more than any of us so don't give me any loyalty to Hop crap as the basis for the recommendation.

If you want to do a national search...fine...but ignoring the wisdom of the man who has done the job for 40 years seems both arrogant and foolish.

Well, here's the thing: JAB was the critical voice in setting up Mike to take over. That's an endorsement you should be giddy about, since JAB is your dude. I've never been a JB superfan, but still recognize that he should know coaching talent and recognize it in a person he's spent so much time with in the program. Gotta believe JB is a good judge in this situation, even though i don't like the way he thinks or does everything.

Another thing: Hop may actually end up being a 'better' coach than JB, but still not have a better record from it because of the different situation he will inherit, and the overall landscape of college hoops. And, that will be a beeyotch to 'analyze' and discuss in this here forum.

I'm not 100% sure JB is a great judge of coaching talent when he is too close to the situation. His coaching tree to date sans Rick Pitino (who I don't really give Jim credit for) is pretty unremarkable. This is what I meant before about Bernie Fine in that at one time he was "Jim's Guy" to take over. Could you imagine Bernie as the head coach?

I think Jim favors loyalty and dedication to HIM and HIS system over coaching ability and it's why we've become so incestual in our coaching staff. Jim is so good on the bench that he can operate that way and be successful. I don't know if his guys can do the same.

Boeheim likely would have been fired back in the mid 80's if some of the commenters in this thread had been in charge

Doing your due diligence is what it's called and I Never said Hop wouldn't some day be a good head coach but he sure as hell hasn't help develop any of the current big guys he is supposed to work with and I believe that is a tell

Boeheim likely would have been fired back in the mid 80's if some of the commenters in this thread had been in charge
No because we wouldn't have had awesome losses to Richmond and Vermont and Navy in the tourney

No because we wouldn't have had awesome losses to Richmond and Vermont and Navy in the tourney
You nevertheless just proved my point. (p.s. Navy was in the mid 80s)

I think Hop has gotten better for the most part every game. It's so hard to judge someone on an interim basis. I think you have to do the due diligience in a HC search, but I think Hop is the guy unless someone like Jay Wright is willing to walk.

I'm not 100% sure JB is a great judge of coaching talent when he is too close to the situation. His coaching tree to date sans Rick Pitino (who I don't really give Jim credit for) is pretty unremarkable. This is what I meant before about Bernie Fine in that at one time he was "Jim's Guy" to take over. Could you imagine Bernie as the head coach?

I think Jim favors loyalty and dedication to HIM and HIS system over coaching ability and it's why we've become so incestual in our coaching staff. Jim is so good on the bench that he can operate that way and be successful. I don't know if his guys can do the same.

No one can be 100% sure. Would u rather we trust Coyle? I'm with the old man every day on this decision.

He has consistently done less with more than any hall of fame coach

This is laughable.

If he had "more", why do our guys not destroy the NBA...or is that his fault too?

Rhode Island, Dayton,Marquette do I need to keep listing horrible losses that other hof coaches may have 1 or 2 but not 6 and counting in the Ncaa

Rhode Island, Dayton,Marquette do I need to keep listing horrible losses that other hof coaches may have 1 or 2 but not 6 and counting in the Ncaa

Bill Self and Kansas has losses to Bradley, Bucknell, VCU, Northern Iowa, a bad Stanford, and Whichita State in the last 15 years. That's 6 bad losses right there. And he has NBA talent every year.

So JB and Bill Self are tied oh well but didn't they win it recently and it's been over a decade for us and didn't we have McW, Ennis and McCullough they play in the nba oh and Ral was called up this week

81South said:
We all know JB has recommended Hop be the next head coach. If you are the administration or Mark Coyle should you ignore the advice of the man who has built SU basketball into what it is? I sure as heck hope not. JB has spent his life building this program and he sure as heck isn't going to recommend Hop if he has any concerns about him getting the job done. JB wants to win more than any of us so don't give me any loyalty to Hop crap as the basis for the recommendation. If you want to do a national search...fine...but ignoring the wisdom of the man who has done the job for 40 years seems both arrogant and foolish.

He has a contract. But I guess he could be bought out.

Honest question.
What percentage of JB's success can be attributed to impeccable timing? By that I mean landing at a school poised to experience the heights of the BigEast conference during the golden age of televised basketball in the 80's/90's, the only on-campus domed venue for basketball in the United States, with crowds of 30K rabid fans, et al...

Kowbelkat said:
He has consistently done less with more than any hall of fame coach

That's been proven wrong. You can do your own research.

Early big east bottom feeders guaranteed a bunch of wins every year, I don't want to become an acc bottom feeder

Kowbelkat said:

Coach K and Duke are pretty good.

They've lost 7 first or second round games since winning back to back championships in 92. Those losses included power houses Mercer, Lehigh, E Michigan, Providence, VCU (when they sucked), etc.

Coach K and Duke are pretty good.

They've lost 7 first or second round games since winning back to back championships in 92. Those losses included power houses Mercer, Lehigh, E Michigan, Providence, VCU (when they sucked), etc.

When you get to the tournament almost every year you're going to have some disappointing trips. Now it did suck we were the first 2 seed to lose to a 15 but I'll take the consistently good and seldomly great that we experienced the last 40 years.

When you get to the tournament almost every year you're going to have some disappointing trips. Now it did suck we were the first 2 seed to lose to a 15 but I'll take the consistently good and seldomly great that we experienced the last 40 years.

That happened to Kansas and Duke too? 15 beat them?

I just hate to wait another 13 years for a title other coaches make title runs with seemingly less talent, hell Kemba was a one man show, I can't see not exploring whether we can get a proven commodity as a head coach. If hop is the choice after a search so be it but I think we can do better and if you don't think basketball has passed JB by, how come every team we face has multiple guys that can make shots outside our zone and we never adjust or heck they just throw it over the top for a layup or alley oop dunk

So JB and Bill Self are tied oh well but didn't they win it recently and it's been over a decade for us and didn't we have McW, Ennis and McCullough they play in the nba oh and Ral was called up this week

Except Self did it in 15 years vs 40 for Boeheim. And he had NBA'ers like Andrew Wiggins, Joel Embid, Marcus and Markief Morris, Cole Aldrich, Brandon Rush, Cliff Alexander, Kelly Oubre, Sasha Kaun, Ben McLemore, Xavier Henry, Darrell Arthur, Thomas Robinson and Jeff Withey.

Self had way more talent (not even close) and has done less. If Memhis makes 1 FT, Self has 0 titles in 15 years at Kansas, to go along with a ton of underachievement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom