Is HCIW Hopkins Written In Stone? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Is HCIW Hopkins Written In Stone?

I just hate to wait another 13 years for a title other coaches make title runs with seemingly less talent, hell Kemba was a one man show, I can't see not exploring whether we can get a proven commodity as a head coach. If hop is the choice after a search so be it but I think we can do better and if you don't think basketball has passed JB by, how come every team we face has multiple guys that can make shots outside our zone and we never adjust or heck they just throw it over the top for a layup or alley oop dunk

You mean like Kansas?

Did Wiscy lose to Indiana yesterday, an Indiana team everyone bags on, on this board. Did St. John's lose to basically two schools no one knew had basketball teams, did g'town lose to app state. We are not getting any better with what we have lets open up to knew and crazy ideas like JB may not be what he once was

Whit Babcock has made a series of excellent hires as the AD at Cincinnati and now at Va Tech. When Frank Beamer retired from Tech he wasn't allowed to name the next coach. A national search was done and the best option was hired. That is how an intelligent athletic department operates. There is a large number of good basketball coaches out there with a track record of success. If ADMC looks at all of the applicants and still chooses Hop I'll be okay with it. But at least look over all of the options.

Did Wiscy lose to Indiana yesterday, an Indiana team everyone bags on, on this board. Did St. John's lose to basically two schools no one knew had basketball teams, did g'town lose to app state. We are not getting any better with what we have lets open up to knew and crazy ideas like JB may not be what he once was

Like who? Who are we going after? Hopkins is the man.

Whit Babcock has made a series of excellent hires as the AD at Cincinnati and now at Va Tech. When Frank Beamer retired from Tech he wasn't allowed to name the next coach. A national search was done and the best option was hired. That is how an intelligent athletic department operates. There is a large number of good basketball coaches out there with a track record of success. If ADMC looks at all of the applicants and still chooses Hop I'll be okay with it. But at least look over all of the options.

Tom Izzo was a head coach in waiting under Hearhcote. Not a bad choice there.

There will be no applicants. The job in not open.

Took a team that won Atlantis and has looked pretty mediocre in his interim stint. Was completely out coached the last three ACC games.

Are we at least going to test the coaching market in 1-3 years?

If it doesn't work out I'm sure he could carve out a nice career as a HC in the MAAC or as an assistant at a high major program.

Don't forget Boeheim was 18-13 last year and lost his best player. Boeheim had 1 good win in Atlantis (Uconn is not a good team) and a bad loss at home to Wisconsin. Had some other not so good wins too. Hopkins will not be judged on these games. Not sure Boehiem does much better, if at all. Hopkins is running Boeheim's system.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but GMAFB. It's a message board. Well find every excuse to murder Trevor Cooney here...but HCIW Mike Hopkins is above reproach?
Well I think we're all aware that it's a message board. GMPRSD. And besides that IGLPMAS and if you don't agree with that then BRBAGFO.

Much in the same way you are jumping to conclusions and misinterpreting the point I was making, I don't say that Hopkins is above reproach. Of course people should be held accountable for their performance in their job. My point is that people who are ready to grab torches and pitchforks have no idea what the instructions were for Hop as far as running the team in JB's absence. JB is STILL head coach as far as we've been told. He may well have told Hop how to run the show while he was out. Also... my point is that the sample size is pretty sparse and anyone with any sense at all should be aware that there are some mitigating circumstances (to put it lightly) that have been in play with respect to the manner in which Hop was thrown into the position of temporary head coach.

And what does Cooney have to do with any of that? TCIIAAIT!!!!!

Well I think we're all aware that it's a message board. GMPRSD. And besides that IGLPMAS and if you don't agree with that then BRBAGFO.

Much in the same way you are jumping to conclusions and misinterpreting the point I was making, I don't say that Hopkins is above reproach. Of course people should be held accountable for their performance in their job. My point is that people who are ready to grab torches and pitchforks have no idea what the instructions were for Hop as far as running the team in JB's absence. JB is STILL head coach as far as we've been told. He may well have told Hop how to run the show while he was out. Also... my point is that the sample size is pretty sparse and anyone with any sense at all should be aware that there are some mitigating circumstances (to put it lightly) that have been in play with respect to the manner in which Hop was thrown into the position of temporary head coach.

Hop is lucky he got to coach when he did. If he had to coach the first nine ACC games he may very well went 0-9.

This thread...

how-to-make-yourself-throw-up-07.jpg

Kowbelkat said:
We JB has 1 title the K has many

Moving the goalposts? Your comment was JB had all these bad losses as a hof coach while others had 1-2. You were proven wrong on that point.

images

You nevertheless just proved my point. (p.s. Navy was in the mid 80s)

How about the Moten timeout against Ark? There're a litany of screwups by JB teams over the years...far, far worse than what happened against Clemson. We need so show some perspective...

Doing your due diligence is what it's called and I Never said Hop wouldn't some day be a good head coach but he sure as hell hasn't help develop any of the current big guys he is supposed to work with and I believe that is a tell

How quickly we forget Roc Christmas.

Last edited:
Clemson and St. John's are horrific losses. Could be two of the worst ones over the last decade to be honest with you. Clemson lost to a bad UMass team by 17 points. St. John's, as many posters have already alluded to, is terrible.

Hopkins isn't above criticism. If JB had lost to these teams, he'd be criticized, too.

And it's not a sure thing that us as fans will be happy that Hopkins takes over full time. I hope so, but he has gotten me very worried with this stretch.

Mike has paid his dues, waited patiently, and has earned the opportunity. It would be a travesty if he was denied his chance.

He can't be judged until he is his own man. Now, he is coaching in Jimmy's shadow and it shows.

We all know Mike can recruit, and it starts with having the right talent. The game day finesse will come.

I support Mike as the next head coach, but I would be lying if I said this 9 game stretch didn't worry me.
If JB comes back and the results are similar, then fine. If he comes back and we turn it on, then that 9 game stretch will worry me even more.

BUT, we made a commitment to MH and we better honor it. That is more important than winning a few basketball games.
He might get a short leash, and that is fine.

Except Self did it in 15 years vs 40 for Boeheim. And he had NBA'ers like Andrew Wiggins, Joel Embid, Marcus and Markief Morris, Cole Aldrich, Brandon Rush, Cliff Alexander, Kelly Oubre, Sasha Kaun, Ben McLemore, Xavier Henry, Darrell Arthur, Thomas Robinson and Jeff Withey.

Self had way more talent (not even close) and has done less. If Memhis makes 1 FT, Self has 0 titles in 15 years at Kansas, to go along with a ton of underachievement.
That's pretty amazing looking at that laid out that way. I'm actually slightly surprised that Self hasn't been run out of there. He's made two elite 8s since 2008 (or the same number as SU) with that much talent. Crazy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom