Is JAB our Dave Winfield? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Is JAB our Dave Winfield?

Omg... Seriously? "It's hard to win in the tournament". Lol ok...

Is your son the "Good effort" kid?
Yeah, I am serious -- name five guys with a better rep in the business than JB. Name them.

Pitino
K

I would then group JB, Roy, Self, Izzo and Cal in no particular order.

Regular season doesn't mean **** unless you can make deep run in the tourney more than once a decade.
Who of those are leaving their current jobs to come to Syracuse? In your response, tell me their record over the last five years --- as you can't be afraid of that.

Who of those are leaving their current jobs to come to Syracuse? In your response, tell me their record over the last five years --- as you can't be afraid of that.
Huh? Ok I'll repeat.

Regular season doesn't mean **** unless you can make a deep run in the tourney more than once a decade.

I don't care about records because stat padding all season bc you play favorites and don't want to experiment with rotations isn't getting it done.

No one hangs a banner for a 25+ win season. They hang them or Final 4s and Championships. Something JB is lacking in comparison to other big time coaches.

Huh? Ok I'll repeat.

Regular season doesn't mean **** unless you can make a deep run in the tourney more than once a decade.

I don't care about records because stat padding all season bc you play favorites and don't want to experiment with rotations isn't getting it done.

No one hangs a banner for a 25+ win season. They hang them or Final 4s and Championships. Something JB is lacking in comparison to other big time coaches.
Name the coaches -- you put out the standard -- better than JB. Am more interested in the recent past -- but would like to see the total history, too.

So it's clear: Name the coaches.

Huh? Ok I'll repeat.

I'll make this simple: Name the coaches who you think will come to Syracuse (while JB still wants the job).

Name the coaches -- you put out the standard -- better than JB. Am more interested in the recent past -- but would like to see the total history, too.

So it's clear: Name the coaches.
The question is whether someone else is better suited to run this program, with the players we get and facilities we have. Someone like Hopkins who is the main recruiter and is patiently awaiting his chance.

If you want me to tell you who I think is a better coach than JB.

Pitino, K and Donovan. Hands down.

JB is in the group of Izzo, Self, Cal and Roy.

Yeah, I am serious -- name five guys with a better rep in the business than JB. Name them.

It's not a matter of naming five guys better. I don't grade on a curve. Other coaches are not the standard. Championships are the standard now. Don't look elsewhere - we are talking about JB and what is keeping him from having a program that should have more NC's. We have the most famous arena in the country as home court, have been in the best basketball league for over 30 years now, in a city, hell, a region where there is no competition in ANY sport for fan attention. I'm sorry, but "good" or "very good" just isn't good enough anymore.

It's not a matter of naming five guys better. I don't grade on a curve. Other coaches are not the standard. Championships are the standard now. Don't look elsewhere - we are talking about JB and what is keeping him from having a program that should have more NC's. We have the most famous arena in the country as home court, have been in the best basketball league for over 30 years now, in a city, hell, a region where there is no competition in ANY sport for fan attention. I'm sorry, but "good" or "very good" just isn't good enough anymore.
You kitties keep talking about the reasons we should have more NCs -- but I'm explicitly (do you need me to define the term?) asking who you think is going to bring in the trophies you want. Seriously, name them.

You kitties keep talking about the reasons we should have more NCs -- but I'm explicitly (do you need me to define the term?) asking who you think is going to bring in the trophies you want. Seriously, name them.

Me.

Only slightly more seriously, read my words from my previous post in bold. We have a very unique situation unlike, and better, than any other in the country. IMO, SU has failed to take advantage of this. Other coaches are not the standard. I don't grade them on a curve.

Me.

Only slightly more seriously, read my words from my previous post in bold. We have a very unique situation unlike, and better, than any other in the country. IMO, SU has failed to take advantage of this. Other coaches are not the standard. I don't grade them on a curve.

Why would great coaches want to come here when a sizable portion of our fan base b****** and moans about Jim Boeheim's accomplishments as not being good enough?

Why would great coaches want to come here when a sizable portion of our fan base b****** and moans about Jim Boeheim's accomplishments as not being good enough?

A ten-year, $35 million dollar contract to coach at what should arguably be the best program in the country?

And nobody would be moaning if we had an NC and three FF's every decade.

Yes, because b********* and moaning about lack of NC's is something only our fan-base does? What?
Why must it be mutually exclusive to concede that JB is a GREAT COACH, has done a PHENOMENAL JOB, built a TOP NOTCH PROGRAM, and yet has also...underachieved? Why the hysterics whenever someone tries to make that point?
Look, I'm an American. I'm spoiled and never satisfied. I strive for better...not just "good enough".
Is that too much to ask? Really?

Me.

I'm not asking you to judge on the curve. Name the coaches you want to replace JB. Let me lax the standard: give me three.

Also, to cut the BS, we're not talking Phil Jackson or any such nonsense -- I want three names who want the Syracuse job and who have a better track-record than JB.

Why the hysterics whenever someone tries to make that point?
Look, I'm an American. I'm spoiled and never satisfied. I strive for better...not just "good enough".
Is that too much to ask? Really?
Saying "I'm an American" is such bull -- who isn't? You have no ownership over what an "American" means.

Saying "I'm an American" is such bull -- who isn't? You have no ownership over what an "American" means.
Stop. It was used to stress a point, and nothing more. You don't need to derail the argument being presented by focusing on only ONE specific aspect, while ignoring the rest. No one's patriotism is being questioned here, and that was NOT the intention.
Bottomline- I, as an SU fan, want and expect BETTER...not just "good enough".
That's the point, OK?

Last edited:
Big Stein was a moron. Winfield is The Man. Had the World Series-winning double for the Blue Jays in his final Playoff at bat btw.

Big Stein was a moron. Winfield is The Man. Had the World Series-winning double for the Blue Jays in his final Playoff at bat btw.
Yeah, Steinbrenner was a moron. A billionaire moron who owned the world's most famous sports franchise and won eight gazillion championships. What a moron.

The force is strong with the Keita/Cooney/Fair/JB defensive coalition today.

JB is an underachiever. HOF coach who underachieves.

One NC and one F4 every decade. Case closed.

This year might be his worst coaching performance as the HC of Syracuse University.

All 4 mentioned above have a chance to redeem themselves come next week. I hope like hell they do, but as of today, JB and his favorites are deserving of criticism.

Yeah, Big Stein the brilliant man who got kicked out of baseball for paying gambler Howie Spira 40 grand to dig up dirt on the classy Winfield. And ran the first ballot Hall of Famer out of town where he would win a Series in Toronto (years before Stein would; despite having easily the highest payroll every year.) Smart move.

Yeah, Steinbrenner was a moron. A billionaire moron who owned the world's most famous sports franchise and won eight gazillion championships. What a moron.

Steinbrenner was born into privilege, and entered the shipping business that had already been built up in his family.

A ten-year, $35 million dollar contract to coach at what should arguably be the best program in the country?

And nobody would be moaning if we had an NC and three FF's every decade.

Question is - can or would SU pony up the right numbers to attract the top talent? Boeheim's pay has often lagged behind the national leaders by over 50%. You're right about unique factors coming into play, but finncisal advantages of living in Upstate NY would be less of a concern to those (coaches, players) who don't have an expectation of 40-45 years in their careers.

Even now, JB has to sling Nissans and hot dogs just to get up to the 2 mil mark.

Steinbrenner was born into privilege, and entered the shipping business that had already been built up in his family.

Harshly spun. Yes, his immigrant father went to MIT and became quite successful, but Steinbrenner proved his chops in the business world on his own merits. From Wikipedia, widely known for its leftist spin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Steinbrenner

"While studying at Ohio State, he served as a graduate assistant to legendary Buckeye football coach Woody Hayes. The Buckeyes were undefeated national champions that year, and won the Rose Bowl. Steinbrenner served as an assistant football coach at Northwestern University in 1955, and at Purdue University from 1956 to 1957.

Steinbrenner joined Kinsman Marine Transit Company in 1957, the Great Lakes shipping company that his great-grandfather Henry had purchased in 1901 from The Minch Transit Company, which was owned by a family relation, and renamed.[11] Steinbrenner worked hard to successfully revitalize the company, which was suffering hardship during difficult market conditions. In its return to profitability, Kinsman emphasized grain shipments over ore.[10] A few years later, with the help of a loan from a New York bank, Steinbrenner purchased the company from his family. He later became part of a group that purchased the American Shipbuilding Company, and, in 1967, he became its chairman and chief executive officer. By 1972, the company's gross sales were more than $100 million annually.[12]"

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

He kicked ass in the business world, and he kicked ass as owner of the Yankees. And I hate the Yankees. But I respected and admired George Steinbrenner. Yes, he "fired" managers seemingly on a whim, but he always moved them to other good posts in the organization, and often brought them back as the situation dictated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom