Is there a list | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Is there a list

FYI, about twenty-five years ago, UVa signed a fullback from Philadelphia named Charles Way. Supposedly, Way had wanted to attend Syracuse but the football staff there objected to him enrolling in the School of Engineering (or, whatever you call it at Syracuse). George Welsh told him he could major in anything he chose (at the time, linebacker Tom Burns was in nuclear engineering, and an Academic All American). Way went on to play for the Giants, and establish his own civil engineering company in New York.

I have met him a couple of times, nice guy.

FYI, about twenty-five years ago, UVa signed a fullback from Philadelphia named Charles Way. Supposedly, Way had wanted to attend Syracuse but the football staff there objected to him enrolling in the School of Engineering (or, whatever you call it at Syracuse). George Welsh told him he could major in anything he chose (at the time, linebacker Tom Burns was in nuclear engineering, and an Academic All American). Way went on to play for the Giants, and establish his own civil engineering company in New York.
Interesting. That's too bad if it's true and a little surprising since I believe it was Keith Downing that was premed. Troy Fleming, who played at Tennessee and in the NFL for a few years, told me one rime he and other players were encouraged to take easy majors. What he said though was that it was a racial thing, as white players weren't discouraged from taking challenging majors. I'm glad Burns had a plan and didn't let selfish coaches influence him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom