Jake Moreland New TE Coach at Syracuse | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Jake Moreland New TE Coach at Syracuse

Moreland is obviously qualified for the job which I am not sure you could have said about Adam. My big problem with this hire is that it is so predictable- just another person from the "family." I am worried that Shafer just wants to surround himself with coaches with whom he is comfortable rather than with coaches who might be challenging and bring some new ideas to the table. I realize that this is just how coaches work and that Shafer is no different from a lot of other coaches in this regard. But I think that in order to succeed at SU the head coach has to be imaginative and innovative and if he does not embody these qualities on his own they are most likely to emerge when you get a staff comprised of people with clashing ideas and frameworks and experiences.

The negative nature of this board is utterly baffling at times. Some of you must wake up everyday and throatpunch the first person you see.

The more I've thought about this hire, the more it makes perfect sense. He has recruiting ties and coaches TEs - the latter a major focal point moving forward.

This looks to be a good hire. I can see why people are annoyed though; our biggest advantage over regional rivals Penn State and Rutgers is that we can offer Southern/FL recruits a chance to play around their home in the ACC. Instead, we're grabbing recruiters who are most familiar with the Midwest, an area that RU, Penn State, Wisconsin, etc. have a built-in advantage in.

RoofBeam said:
Moreland is obviously qualified for the job which I am not sure you could have said about Adam. My big problem with this hire is that it is so predictable- just another person from the "family." I am worried that Shafer just wants to surround himself with coaches with whom he is comfortable rather than with coaches who might be challenging and bring some new ideas to the table. I realize that this is just how coaches work and that Shafer is no different from a lot of other coaches in this regard. But I think that in order to succeed at SU the head coach has to be imaginative and innovative and if he does not embody these qualities on his own they are most likely to emerge when you get a staff comprised of people with clashing ideas and frameworks and experiences.

Everything's a trade off. Maybe there are fewer new ideas - but you can trust the guy more.

I think, at this point, he has to go with a known coaching commodity. He swung, and missed, with our former OC being over his head. This time he needs someone he knows can coach and help him obtain winning records. His career is on the line if there isn't progress this season so he needs guys that can coach NOW regardless of recruiting area or accumen. He doesn't really have time to let another young coach try and learn on the job.

This looks to be a good hire. I can see why people are annoyed though; our biggest advantage over regional rivals Penn State and Rutgers is that we can offer Southern/FL recruits a chance to play around their home in the ACC. Instead, we're grabbing recruiters who are most familiar with the Midwest, an area that RU, Penn State, Wisconsin, etc. have a built-in advantage in.

I don't think we'll stop recruiting FL simply because we don't have a home grown coach. I'm curious to see who/how we reallocate those duties. May well be SS himself taking the reigns in our Southern recruiting.

outlier? Come on. We are talking about sports and the way your trained has everything to do with injuries, Other then concussions or freak accidents. Stanfords injuries went down because they are strengthening properly to take the abuse of the sport.

Can you please tell me what exercises or training regimen we can use to prevent the type of injuries we had last year? Feel free to consult any kinesiologist or S&C coach you like, all of them will tell you they can give exercises that will strengthen some areas but they DO NOT PREVENT INJURIES. Give examples for the below:

High ankle sprain
Ankle sprain
Sprained knee
Torn ACL
Torn MCL
Dislocated shoulder
Torn Labrum
Concussion
Turf toe
Lis franc

These are some common ones and some not so common.

Also, please tell me what other School has been able to reduce injuries by 87%...until you can find a few more, or some that are even close, that makes Stanford the outlier.

I don't think we'll stop recruiting FL simply because we don't have a home grown coach. I'm curious to see who/how we reallocate those duties. May well be SS himself taking the reigns in our Southern recruiting.

You can't just send some average coach down to South Florida and expect to pull kids. It doesn't work like that down there. Everyone has read the articles about McDonald and his connections, and what the coaches had to say about having existing relationships with coaches. It will be real hard to put someone down there for their first time, and expect solid results.

As for Shafer having a recruiting territory that's not going to happen. The HC isn't out there pounding the pavement. HCSS is basically the closer.

I am pretty sure we are going to be moving away from South Florida, and doubling down somewhere else.

anomander said:
You can't just send some average coach down to South Florida and expect to pull kids. It doesn't work like that down there. Everyone has read the articles about McDonald and his connections, and what the coaches had to say about having existing relationships with coaches. It will be real hard to put someone down there for their first time, and expect solid results. As for Shafer having a recruiting territory that's not going to happen. The HC isn't out there pounding the pavement. HCSS is basically the closer. I am pretty sure we are going to be moving away from South Florida, and doubling down somewhere else.

Most of McDonald's recruits wind up looking elsewhere or are academic risks.

Most of McDonald's recruits wind up looking elsewhere or are academic risks.

I don't disagree with that, I have been beating that drum for a while.

I think, at this point, he has to go with a known coaching commodity. He swung, and missed, with our former OC being over his head. This time he needs someone he knows can coach and help him obtain winning records. His career is on the line if there isn't progress this season so he needs guys that can coach NOW regardless of recruiting area or accumen. He doesn't really have time to let another young coach try and learn on the job.
I'd yell a hearty "AMEN" if you were talking about an offensive coordinator. But a TE coach? A TE coach???

It would be so maddening if Shafer truly felt like his career was on the line and he needed guys who could coach NOW regardless of recruiting area or acumen...and then only applied this reasoning to the TE coach while going with Lester at OC.

leftytg said:
I'd yell a hearty "AMEN" if you were talking about an offensive coordinator. But a TE coach? A TE coach??? It would be so maddening if Shafer truly felt like his career was on the line and he needed guys who could coach NOW regardless of recruiting area or acumen...and then only applied this reasoning to the TE coach while going with Lester at OC.

I don't think he thinks the same way you do about Lester. ;) If he didn't think he was the man that he can win with he wouldn't be our OC.

You can't just send some average coach down to South Florida and expect to pull kids. It doesn't work like that down there. Everyone has read the articles about McDonald and his connections, and what the coaches had to say about having existing relationships with coaches. It will be real hard to put someone down there for their first time, and expect solid results.

As for Shafer having a recruiting territory that's not going to happen. The HC isn't out there pounding the pavement. HCSS is basically the closer.

I am pretty sure we are going to be moving away from South Florida, and doubling down somewhere else.

There is also a possibility that because of the way Mcdonald was done, the hs coaches down there may not respond to it positively. I hope that is not the case, but the recruiting game is funny like that.

There is also a possibility that because of the way Mcdonald was done, the hs coaches down there may not respond to it positively. I hope that is not the case, but the recruiting game is funny like that.

How was MacDonald "done"?

How was MacDonald "done"?

Perception can be bigger than reality Go, you know that. On the outside looking in, it could look like he was wronged in some way. Do I see it that way? No, but it really doesn't matter how I or any of us see it.

Syracuse University head coach Scott Shafer is adding Jake Moreland to his Orange coaching staff. A 12-year collegiate coaching veteran, Moreland will mentor the Syracuse tight ends and tackles. He has coached tight ends throughout his career. In addition to hiring Moreland, Shafer announced that Tim Lester will continue as Syracuse's offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, Bobby Acosta will now direct the wide receivers and serve as the recruiting coordinator, and Joe Adam will mentor the guards and centers.

http://www.cuse.com/news/2015/1/24/FB_0124154136.aspx?path=football
(First, let's note that the SU AD website has added Moreland and removed McDonald, but hasn't updated Acosta's title(s). So we have 2 TE coaches and no WR coach.)

Last year Lester was QB coach and recruiting coordinator, right? Now he's OC/QB, so that is a pay hike. I doubt that he is making as much as McDonald did, though.

Acosta was TE, now WR and recruiting coordinator. I imagine that is a pay bump, if for nothing else than the added title.

Adam was OL. Now he is C/G. Does that mean a pay cut?

Moreland is TE/T.

I wonder if they had to offer Moreland more responsibility (and $$$?) to get him to come here. Or maybe Shafer felt that Adam was in a little too deep and needed help, so he limited his responsibilities. In any event, Moreland has never coached OL. We've divided the OL responsibilities between two guys with almost no experience coaching the position. Learn quickly, gentlemen.

(First, let's note that the SU AD website has added Moreland and removed McDonald, but hasn't updated Acosta's title(s). So we have 2 TE coaches and no WR coach.)

Last year Lester was QB coach and recruiting coordinator, right? Now he's OC/QB, so that is a pay hike. I doubt that he is making as much as McDonald did, though.

Acosta was TE, now WR and recruiting coordinator. I imagine that is a pay bump, if for nothing else than the added title.

Adam was OL. Now he is C/G. Does that mean a pay cut?

Moreland is TE/T.

I wonder if they had to offer Moreland more responsibility (and $$$?) to get him to come here. Or maybe Shafer felt that Adam was in a little too deep and needed help, so he limited his responsibilities. In any event, Moreland has never coached OL. We've divided the OL responsibilities between two guys with almost no experience coaching the position. Learn quickly, gentlemen.

Didn't we have an OL coach get reduced OL responsibilities during the GRob era? As I remember it was basically the same thing.

Didn't we have an OL coach get reduced OL responsibilities during the GRob era? As I remember it was basically the same thing.

Stoutland and Addazio split TE/OL up in 97 and 98.

In 2011 Tim Daoust did DE's while Jimmy Brumbaugh did DT's. Brumbaugh was gone the next year. Timmy's continued his ascent up the ladder.