Jake Moreland New TE Coach at Syracuse | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Jake Moreland New TE Coach at Syracuse

Joe could play some drug dealing bad guy in a crappy movie. Yep, we here in Chicago are proud of him.

Well, since I started the Eric White train for WR coach hire (by just mentioning his name), I may as well weigh in:

- It's a good hire. Strong position coach with NFL experience playing the position, so he will have validity in the living room. My concern is that recruiting at Air Force requires you to eliminate kids almost immediately if they don't want to go in the service, so can he evaluate and beat the big boys?

- I always believed WR coach is a recruiting position and now our best recruiter is coaching the position as well as getting the recruiting coordinator title. Makes me happy.

- Adam is now moved to the interior OL. Like it b/c that unit was borderline horrid at run blocking last year. Like the amount of time the OL's will be coached now. Whether its quality coaching remains to be seen, but like the staff structure.

- I don't see how this staff is removed after next year. Even Greg Robinson got 4 years.

- I am concerned about Florida recruiting.

All valid rational points that don't jump to conclusions. Might be better for another thread.

getting 6 wins next year is not that difficult with a 3-1 non conference record need only 3 in conference
no margin for error, four of the games are LSU, Fl ST, Clemson, and Louisville. Six wins would be pretty good coming off 3-9

no margin for error, four of the games are LSU, Fl ST, Clemson, and Louisville. Six wins would be pretty good coming off 3-9

would you have said the same thing after going 7-6 the year before? Last year was the perfect storm losing our most valuable offensive player and least replaceable along with a ton of other injuries and the unlucky bad way the acc conference game order went. With Hunt at QB we win 1 or 2 other games. Next year we also get bc and pit all at home which should be easier than on the road

Cuse isn't installing the triple option. that might have had something to do with them being so far ahead of them in rushing offense.

Correct so why repost only the passing offense numbers from air force and not mention what they did well in your prior post? It reeked of agenda which is why I replied. You don't have to like the hire but at least be honest and complete when posting about it.

This coach coached accomplished pass catchers at wmu, and run blockers at air force. Would it not be reasonable to assume he's then capable of cosching both facets of the game to our tight ends?

Correct so why repost only the passing offense numbers from air force and not mention what they did well in your prior post? It reeked of agenda which is why I replied. You don't have to like the hire but at least be honest and complete when posting about it.

This coach coached accomplished pass catchers at wmu, and run blockers at air force. Would it not be reasonable to assume he's then capable of cosching both facets of the game to our tight ends?
Agendas!

Agendas!

Tons of them In this thread to be honest. I'd love if this coach was from Florida or mid atlantic for recruiting purposes but aside from that he's got a very goodresume as it pertains to actual coaching.

If there's one thing I think I've learned over the past 8 years is the ability to coach > the ability to recruit in terms of getting Ws. You need to do both well, but bad coaching can't be negated by talent.

That is an interesting take. It seems to me it may be more nuanced than that because there are broad degrees of talent and coaching ability. There are also different levels of competition. Good coaching can't make anyone taller or faster (well, maybe a bit faster) and poor coaching won't make anyone's eye hand coordination, vision or balance any worse.

It seems to me it is sort of a threshold issue. Up to a certain point coaching ability may be more important, but after a certain level of competence talent is more important. Two coaches of the proximate same ability with different talent levels will not have the same results.

I would assume (hope) that anyone we hire would have at least a threshold level of coaching/teaching ability. If so, then the curve bends towards recruiting.

Not an expert on this so I certainly could be wrong.

What is the point of this type of post? If you already think this staff is going to fail in 2015, walk away now.

I understand this staff isn't made up of coaching thoroughbreds, but it's the staff that is coaching our team. Let's support them and withhold judgment until we see what the new offense looks like in September.

I haven't been posting as much recently due to my disappointment in the football program. But, nonetheless, you are right. I don't want to be a troll. I hope Shafer succeeds but it just doesn't look good.

I don't know how relevant this would be…but I have been using Air Force as my team vs. my 7-year-old son on XBox College Football for a couple months now. They have a great home field on the game, terrific set of plays, and we usually put up a fight. The other day we beat Bama.

Today my son was Baylor. I lost 39-32 in a heart-breaker, the read-option was too much for my future aviators.

BUT, I just realized that the BEST player on Air Force is their Tight End. He's unstoppable. Down the middle, over the middle, out patterns. Today he had 9 catches for over 200 yards in our loss. Three TDs. And then it dawned on me, we just hired this young man's coach.

This new guy sure can coach up XBox talent. I think this should be considered in any evaluation.
I actually feel a little better about this hire now.

If there's one thing I think I've learned over the past 8 years is the ability to coach > the ability to recruit in terms of getting Ws. You need to do both well, but bad coaching can't be negated by talent.
Agreed.

More coaches fail for lack of coaching than lack of recruiting. Marrone could coach but couldn't recruit. Zook, Weis, Kiffin could all recruit but could not coach at the HC level.

It's also worth noting that you can fix a coaching staff that can't recruit but you can't fix a staff that can't coach. Would love to see how Marrone's recruiting had been different if Stan Drayton had stuck around or if he had a TE coach like Acosta.

Tons of them In this thread to be honest. I'd love if this coach was from Florida or mid atlantic for recruiting purposes but aside from that he's got a very goodresume as it pertains to actual coaching.
can you give me a rundown on the agendas? including the one you think i have? Seems like these are all just opinions.

I would agree with this, but we just lost 1 of our top recruiters (at least reputation wise). I was hoping we would have brought in someone that brought a recruiting territory with him (kind of like Bobby Acosta). If it were a guy like Adam, or Reed, or someone who isn't as well as established as a recruiter I would agree with this. But if you're just coaching TE's you would think the guy could bring something else to the table.

I would agree with this, but we just lost 1 of our top recruiters (at least reputation wise). I was hoping we would have brought in someone that brought a recruiting territory with him (kind of like Bobby Acosta). If it were a guy like Adam, or Reed, or someone who isn't as well as established as a recruiter I would agree with this. But if you're just coaching TE's you would think the guy could bring something else to the table.

Syracuse.com article said he would also be helping with offensive tackles. It's not much I suppose, but I don't mind Adam getting a little more help for sure.

Syracuse.com article said he would also be helping with offensive tackles. It's not much I suppose, but I don't mind Adam getting a little more help for sure.
so didn't the cuse.com release :)

How is this a positive. You said yourself the OL was terrible and he was the coach. So moving him from coaching the most disappointing unit last year to coaching the worst part of that unit is a good move?

Was never going to fire Adam and you weren't going to move him to DL with Daoust there. This way, we have 2 coaches focused pretty heavily on the OL and the weakest part of the unit getting a lot of attention.

Mentioned I don't know if is quality coaching, but like the setup from a coaching responsibilities perspective.

Is this starting to look like a coaching band aid for Adam because he is a good recruiter? Perhaps two birds with one stone deal.

Was never going to fire Adam and you weren't going to move him to DL with Daoust there. This way, we have 2 coaches focused pretty heavily on the OL and the weakest part of the unit getting a lot of attention.

Mentioned I don't know if is quality coaching, but like the setup from a coaching responsibilities perspective.

Gotcha. Didn't see the "quality coaching" part, my fault. Honestly don't know if it matters if you have 2 coaches for the OL, 1 working with T and others working with the G. If level of quality isn't there, especially the cohesion, this can actually be a bigger failure. Imagine the same OL unit that were all previously getting coached the same way, now being coached by 2 different coaches and at least one of the units not receiving quality coaching. That can actually be more disastrous.

I don't know that this (quality of coaching) is a reality or not but I think it's a potential concern. I would love for this unit to perform next year, it will make all the difference in the world for all the other offensive positions.

Gotcha. Didn't see the "quality coaching" part, my fault. Honestly don't know if it matters if you have 2 coaches for the OL, 1 working with T and others working with the G. If level of quality isn't there, especially the cohesion, this can actually be a bigger failure. Imagine the same OL unit that were all previously getting coached the same way, now being coached by 2 different coaches and at least one of the units not receiving quality coaching. That can actually be more disastrous.

I don't know that this (quality of coaching) is a reality or not but I think it's a potential concern. I would love for this unit to perform next year, it will make all the difference in the world for all the other offensive positions.

My hope is the line will be healthier, so hopefully play will be improved from that. I agree with the chance on differing messages and not getting that cohesion.

I agree with you that OL improvement is going to be vitally important for this offense to be successful.

So now there are 2 guys lacking in OL coaching experience instead of 1...

I just don't get all the optimism on here. What have you seen to make you think this year will be any different then last year?

A decrease in the amount of injuries will change things? Has anyone heard about anything changing S&C'wise that makes you think that the same issues won't come up again? Last year wasn't as freak a year as people are implying. It goes back a few years.

Actually it doesn't go back a few years. The year before last we had almost no injuries when we won the Texas bowl, check it out and tell me I'm wrong.

Injuries have very little to do with S&C, luck of the draw...unless of course there are exercises that do away with concussions, torn ACL's, dislocated shoulders, knees that need reconstructing, high ankle sprains, etc.

How has nobody mentioned that we basically just gave up So. Florida recruiting? I could care
less how good of a TE coach he is. So what,
no TE coach is that much better then the other at this level. I don't expect all-league performances from Parris next year regardless of who coaches them. This position coach should be able to recruit...meaning having a specific area. Rigt now it's either Atlanta, Alabama, the Midwest, or whole Northeast. I'll say again if we follow this hire up with someone with deep So Florida ties then it's whatever, but at this point we are basically getting out of the area, which I heard before was an option (that I was hoping wasn't true). Even if Rocco replaced Eric White, it's isn't enogh since support staff coaches can't be out in the field recruiting, it has to be someone on the 10 man staff.

If I am looking for immediate impact on the program, do I hire a coach that can change the talent I have into good players via coaching or do I hire someone a week before signing day that can recruit?

I would hire the best coach possible with decent recruiting ties before I hire a decent coach with great recruiting ties (McDonaldesque).

If I am looking for immediate impact on the program, do I hire a coach that can change the talent I have into good players via coaching or do I hire someone a week before signing day that can recruit?

I would hire the best coach possible with decent recruiting ties before I hire a decent coach with great recruiting ties (McDonaldesque).

And how do you know this guy can actually coach?