Jake Moreland New TE Coach at Syracuse | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Jake Moreland New TE Coach at Syracuse

s&c has a ton to do with injuries. Knees acls can be injured from bulking up a body quickly or too much mass for a frame to handle. Picture putting a 1000 hp motor in a civic. Unless you build up the frame the body will break from the added stress from the hp.

This te hire is a bandaid for the staff. He's been coaching this long and he has one nfl caliber te that made it and he came into for his senior year so how much did he actually contribute?! Now we are losing recruits and no way to hold onto them. This is not a good situation.

s&c has a ton to do with injuries. Knees acls can be injured from bulking up a body quickly or too much mass for a frame to handle. Picture putting a 1000 hp motor in a civic. Unless you build up the frame the body will break from the added stress from the hp.

This te hire is a bandaid for the staff. He's been coaching this long and he has one nfl caliber te that made it and he came into for his senior year so how much did he actually contribute?! Now we are losing recruits and no way to hold onto them. This is not a good situation.
haven't really lost any major recruits yet

And how do you know this guy can actually coach?

Because he was a player, then an NFL player, then a coach and has been continually retained as a coach for about 10 years.

Yeah, I guess you are right...he should pack it in and call it a career and take his degree and go do something else.

EDIT: I am glad that there isn't this much public scrutiny about any of us on this board and our jobs as well as our credentials to earn our jobs. Some of us wouldn't have the jobs we are successful at if that were the case.

I'm 43 , I don't think I earned my station, gonna retire next year. Thanks Ano for making my decision easier.

Last edited:
Actually it doesn't go back a few years. The year before last we had almost no injuries when we won the Texas bowl, check it out and tell me I'm wrong.

Injuries have very little to do with S&C, luck of the draw...unless of course there are exercises that do away with concussions, torn ACL's, dislocated shoulders, knees that need reconstructing, high ankle sprains, etc.
Stanford's S&C coach managed to drop he injury rate by 87% in the time he's been there.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...inside-the-stanford-football-strength-program

outlier? Come on. We are talking about sports and the way your trained has everything to do with injuries, Other then concussions or freak accidents. Stanfords injuries went down because they are strengthening properly to take the abuse of the sport.

Great, you found the outlier. There still is no evidence that this has anything to do with the way that they strengthen and condition their players. Maybe it is a result of having better athletes that they are now getting and recruiting since Harbaugh was there and Shaw took over.

I'm assuming this is tongue in cheek? I mean, there can't be any other way that someone would actually say there is no correlation between the type of, level of, or quality of S&C and injuries.

Because he was a player, then an NFL player, then a coach and has been continually retained as a coach for about 10 years.

Being an NFL player has almost zero to do with an ability to coach. To actually teach other people the skills necessary. Otherwise Michael Jordan would have won lots of NBA Championships as a coach.

There has been tons of players that became coaches who havent been good coaches.

And how do you know this guy can actually coach?

The fact that he's done It for 10 years and not been fired is a decent indicator but we won't know until we see it first hand during the season.

We also don't know that he can't recruit but some feel capable of making that call already as well.

Being an NFL player has almost zero to do with an ability to coach. To actually teach other people the skills necessary. Otherwise Michael Jordan would have won lots of NBA Championships as a coach.

You read the rest of the sentence right? Or did you stop after I said he was a player...?

at least being an nfl player is a good in the living room.

The negative nature of this board is utterly baffling at times. Some of you must wake up everyday and throatpunch the first person you see.

The more I've thought about this hire, the more it makes perfect sense. He has recruiting ties and coaches TEs - the latter a major focal point moving forward.

It's simple really. It's kind of like "draft grades" by random bloggers.

Not one of you have met this guy. Not one of you has been in his TE meeting room. Not one of you have sat in a living room with him as a pitch has been made to a high school junior. No one knows the quality of coach he is.

It's all speculation.

I'll give you that it's not s s e xy hire and that he lacks a natural recruiting area, but c'mon.

Can we give him a chance to actually do his job before we judge the hire?

You are right. He deserves a chance to coach before being evaluated on his coaching ability and a chance to recruit before being evaluated on his recruiting ability. I'm back off the ledge now.

Actually it doesn't go back a few years. The year before last we had almost no injuries when we won the Texas bowl, check it out and tell me I'm wrong.

Injuries have very little to do with S&C, luck of the draw...unless of course there are exercises that do away with concussions, torn ACL's, dislocated shoulders, knees that need reconstructing, high ankle sprains, etc.
This article suggests otherwise. Me? I have no clue, but the article is interesting.
http://www.ruleoftree.com/2014/9/11...ioning-under-shannon-turley-benefits-on-field

I'm going to give in to the optimists on this thread and let go of my Jake Moreland doubts.
He's seems to be a solid coach who's going to fit in with the new offense.
All we gotta do is win a whole lotta of games and everything else will sort itself out.