Jake Moreland New TE Coach at Syracuse | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Jake Moreland New TE Coach at Syracuse

It isn't Rocco. It isn't a WR coach. And you will all be hearing soon as the hire has been made.

Not sure what happened here. There was intense speculation on several other guys, but they ended hiring that fits the "keeping it in the family" mold.

I'm hoping all of the changes/hires aren't done just yet. Stay tuned.

Hey can he bring in Lenny and Sqiggy? The Fonz??
4046090.jpg

Alrighty then.

I get the WMU connection (and Elmhurst) but how 'bout hiring someone who can immediately address one of our critical recruiting areas AND coach TEs. I'm hoping there will be another hire - or something - that helps me make sense of this plan. :confused:

Wait people are mad about this?! The man has 10 years TE coaching experience, coached Tony Scheffler, had 143 catches as a d1 player, and as a bonus has some special teams experience. Oh by the way, coaching at Air Force means he'll be able to actually teach or TE's how to block. Sorry he's not from Florida but he checks every other box you could possibly want. What better option were folks expecting that a 10 year vet coaching our TE's?

Wait people are mad about this?! The man has 10 years TE coaching experience, coached Tony Scheffler, had 143 catches as a d1 player, and as a bonus has some special teams experience. Oh by the way, coaching at Air Force means he'll be able to actually teach or TE's how to block. Sorry he's not from Florida but he checks every other box you could possibly want. What better option were folks expecting that a 10 year vet coaching our TE's?
Zero regional recruiting connections

And

Air Force Academy was 119th in the country in passing last season. (SU was 105th, just as a reference.)

And to think awhile ago I got some for implying that people stop thinking of ridiculous names for coaches that were never going to get a sniff and just pull up the family tree. If the name isn't on the tree, the person isn't getting anywhere close to SU. At least next year, the year after......

He seems like he will be a good position coach I wonder what his recruiting reputation is? He won't get us into Florida but if he can bring in good players in some other areas that will work. Air Force doesn't throw the ball but WMU did and he played the position. He should be able to teach our kids how to block and catch.

Another concern which might be unfounded so someone correct me if it shouldn't be a concern. If we're potentially moving Acosta to WR's, that's a pretty important position that needs a really good coach to be in that position. It's not like our TE's did much last year, not the fault of Acosta but did he improve the TE play so significantly that he's going to be a quality WR coach?

Coach P caught a lot of flack for his Connecticut mafia hires during his tenure.

Hope this turns out as well, but the clock is ticking.

Yep, Stoutland and Addazzio have been complete failures.

Who gives a crap about recruiting right now.

Shafer is on the clock, hopefully this guy can actually coach the position. They don't get some improvement in the offense it just doesn't matter, at least for this crew.

Another concern which might be unfounded so someone correct me if it shouldn't be a concern. If we're potentially moving Acosta to WR's, that's a pretty important position that needs a really good coach to be in that position. It's not like our TE's did much last year, not the fault of Acosta but did he improve the TE play so significantly that he's going to be a quality WR coach?

I think he will be a solid WR coach. Our big problem is having a QB who can get the ball to the WRs and TEs

That's certainly one way of looking at it. Another way would be:
- 10 years as a TE coach, and he hasn't moved up the coaching position ladder or broken into a power 5 conference job.
- he inherited Tony Scheffler as a senior when he was a first year coach, so he had no role in recruiting him for the position and a lesser role in developing him. Hard to give him much credit there. Going from a decade in the MAC to a service academy doesn't indicate his services are in high demand.
- his top TE at the AFA this year had 13 catches. THIRTEEN, for 163 yards. As has been mentioned, the AFA doesn't throw much. I'm sorry, but spinning that as "he must be good at coaching run blocking" is straining hard to find a silver lining.
- it isn't like the WMU teams under Cubit these guys all come from were particularly good. A quick scan tells me WMU never even won their MAC division and only went to 3 bowl games (all losses). Going back to the exceedingly mediocre Cubit era WMU coaching pool is disheartening, in much the same way as Shafer's fondness to put from the opponent's 30 yard line down multiple scores in the 4th quarter.
- he has no ties to traditional recruiting areas that Syracuse needs to mine for talent.

I mean hey, I genuinely hope the guy is another Daust and is a fantastic cultivator and developer of talent. I want Syracuse to have success. But this hire, from my vantage point anyway, does not inspire confidence. I hope I'm wrong.

Whitey23 said:
Zero regional recruiting connections And

Agreed. Solid reasons to tar and feather the guy.

Acosta does have a WR coaching background. So it's probably closer to his natural fit.

Wow, I just don't get it……why was the need for expertise in the Florida recruiting market not a priority here. Who out there thinks we need more Midwest connections? I know nothing about this guys coaching skills, but his previous stops, don't excite me at all….

Who gives a crap about recruiting right now.

Shafer is on the clock, hopefully this guy can actually coach the position. They don't get some improvement in the offense it just doesn't matter, at least for this crew.
Really? Recruiting matters more than ever because production won't show that fast. A decent recruiting class and particular high end players, the likes of which come from 7A programs in Florida, have single handedly saved jobs. Just ask Mike London. Next-- if you don't go with an ace recruiter, get someone who coached a position successfully in the past and is known for it. Color me pissed off.

Oops missed that I was so locked into the WMU connection. We are going to hit the Rockies hard! The next Jonny Miller will be found!!
USAFA recruits nationally...my guess he was the Air Force's terror from Michigan to ChicagoLand to Cheeselandia! sigh......

Last edited:
Really? Recruiting matters more than ever because production won't show that fast. A decent recruiting class and particular high end players, the likes of which come from 7A programs in Florida, have single handedly saved jobs. Just ask Mike London. Next-- if you don't go with an ace recruiter, get someone who coached a position successfully in the past and is known for it. Color me pissed off.
Sooo, Moreland can't coach TE's? You know this how?

It never ceases to amaze me how people impulsively over react to such things i.e. the hiring of a TE coach...lol. None of us have any idea what additionally changes will be made after February 4th...or maybe sooner.