Jalen Should Stay | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Jalen Should Stay

Goodine is capable of playing now and isn’t .
Goodine can play with one of Buddy or Girard on the court and keep the other guard fresh for late in the game if we are behind. Plus, he improves the defense.

It legitimately makes no sense how many minutes Girard and Buddy play in these games. Players get fatigued. It's just true.

Our freshmen point guards through history:

Pearl Washington
34.0m 16.9p 3.1r 7.3a 2.7s 0.1b 30.1+ 5.7mfg 1.7mft 4.1to 4.0pf 15.5- = 14.6np 9.5oe 5.1fg
Adrian Autry
33.2m 11.7p 3.1r 6.4a 2.4s 0.2b +23.8 6.1mfg 1.0mft 4.3to 4.0pf -15.4 = 8.4NP 4.6OE 3.8FG
Jason Hart
35.7m 10.8p 4.0r 6.4a 3.2s 0.1b +24.5 6.5mfg 0.9mft 3.5to 3.0pf -13.9 = 10.6NP 3.4OE 7.2FG
Gerry McNamara
35.3m 15.1p 2.6r 5.0a 2.5s 0.1b +25.3 7.1mfg 0.3mft 2.8to 2.2pf -12.4 = 12.9NP 7.7OE 5.2FG
Jonny Flynn
35.5m 17.6p 3.0r 6.0a 1.7s 0.2b 28.5+ 7.2mfg 1.0mft 3.1to 1.6pf 12.9- = 15.6NP 9.4OE 6.2FG
Tyler Ennis
35.7m 14.5p 3.8r 6.2a 2.3s 0.2b +27.0 7.0mfg 1.2mft 1.9to 2.3pf -12.4 = 14.6NP 6.3OE 8.3FG
Joe Girard
32.96m 15.5p 3.5r 4.1a 1.8s 0.1b 25.0+ 8.8mfg 0.4mft 2.4to 1.8pf 13.4- = 11.6NP 6.3OE 5.3FG

Joe isn't the best of them but he's one of them. That said, I think next year we might be better off having him alternate at the shooting guard position with Buddy, (go with the hot hand) and opening up the point guard for competition between Goodine and Richmond, who looks like just what we need:

Or maybe we could have a rotation like we had with Jardine, Triche and Waiters.

Jalen played against the toughest defensive team in the nation the season opener.
I mean can we stop with that.
We have no clue how we play during this season with Carey getting minutes and Buddy and Girard splitting PT with him.
You can't judge any player off how they play in 1 game especially against Virginia.

Buddy needs to play less. Carey would have allowed that.

He started the next game horribly too. I think we were losing 10-1 or something? Not impressive in exhibitions either, and reportedly (I didn’t watch) struggled in those summer games too.

Would’ve liked to see him as the 3rd guard playing mostly off the ball. Too bad that couldn’t happen.

Cmon. My goodness. Are you kidding me?
Carey didn't get the minutes as a freshman that Girard got this year.

I mean seriously? Carey was behind Battle and Howard. Seriously this argument I can't believe from you.

Carey played 305 minutes, the equivalent of 7 1/2 games. He got plenty of time to show what he could - and could not- do when Howard was out. he was glued to the bench by the end of the year.
2018-19 Men's Basketball Cumulative Statistics - Syracuse University Athletics

People who disagree with you aren't necessarily kidding you.

He started the next game horribly too. I think we were losing 10-1 or something? Not impressive in exhibitions either, and reportedly (I didn’t watch) struggled in those summer games too.

Would’ve liked to see him as the 3rd guard playing mostly off the ball. Too bad that couldn’t happen.
That isn't enough time to just send him to Siberia which is what JB will do. As he treats every game like its game 7 instead of just playing the long game. Carey shouldn't have been judged one iota by the Virginia game.

That isn't enough time to just send him to Siberia which is what JB will do. As he treats every game like its game 7 instead of just playing the long game. Carey shouldn't have been judged one iota by the Virginia game.

Judging him by all the games I’ve seen him play in, I’m confident that he’s nowhere near ready to help a team from the PG spot.

Off the ball - maybe. Eventually I think he will. He’s basically Goodine with an uglier looking 3 ball?

Carey played 305 minutes, the equivalent of 7 1/2 games. He got plenty of time to show what he could - and could not- do when Howard was out. he was glued to the bench by the end of the year.
2018-19 Men's Basketball Cumulative Statistics - Syracuse University Athletics

People who disagree with you aren't necessarily kidding you.
To your last sentence I don't care if people disagree with me. It is just crazy the argument being made.

Carey played well in MSG against UConn. If you think Carey got enough minutes last year to be judged fairly that is right I am not going to bother anymore.

To your last sentence I don't care if people disagree with me. It is just crazy the argument being made.

Carey played well in MSG against UConn. If you think Carey got enough minutes last year to be judged fairly that is right I am not going to bother anymore.

0 assists and 7 turnovers in his best game...

Judging him by all the games I’ve seen him play in, I’m confident that he’s nowhere near ready to help a team from the PG spot.

Off the ball - maybe. Eventually I think he will. He’s basically Goodine with an uglier looking 3 ball?
I don't think judging Carey's potential for this entire season based on the first 2 games is fair to the kid.
I think JB has a short hook for some players and not the same hook for others.
Confidence matters for these kids. They are college kids not pros. Carey is going to get his chance elsewhere. Hopefully he isn't a player we miss next year.

carey did not log a lot of minutes down the stretch last year including several dnp's. hard to judge.
want to set JB's comb over hair on fire ? mention "short leash" buddy played 110 minutes in our 3 tourney (acc/ncaa) games last year. jalen 13. we were 1-2.

Last edited:
I don't think judging Carey's potential for this entire season based on the first 2 games is fair to the kid.
I think JB has a short hook for some players and not the same hook for others.
Confidence matters for these kids. They are college kids not pros. Carey is going to get his chance elsewhere. Hopefully he isn't a player we miss next year.

so the exhibitions and summer games don’t matter?

so the exhibitions and summer games don’t matter?
I have no clue how Carey did in Europe. I didn't really follow those games even though I know the competition sucked.

If he was injured as the kid got surgery in November I would say that probably affected his play in the exhibitions and first 2 games.

Right. A lot more turnovers. Not a PG.
Also equal to Buddy's career high in points.
Carey clearly can score. I don't think the kid sucks. I think he got his confidence destroyed by the team's performance against Virginia.
Then played poorly the next game and the plug was pulled.
This team needed every body it could have. His confidence and pride were destroyed. So he got surgery and is going to leave now.

If this was the NBA what happened was he got microfracture surgery like Tracy McGrady did in Houston right before the trade deadline in 2009 so he killed his trade value as a screw you and was able to move on after the season.
Carey got surgery and ended his season. JB didn't fight it. I mean the kid should have been able to comeback from "thumb" surgery by now.

Carey clearly can score. I don't think the kid sucks. I think he got his confidence destroyed by the team's performance against Virginia.
This team needed every body it could have. His confidence and pride were destroyed. So he got surgery and is going to leave now.

If this was the NBA what happened was he got microfracture surgery like Tracy McGrady did in Houston right before the trade deadline in 2009 so he killed his trade value as a screw you and was able to move on after the season.
Carey got surgery and ended his season. JB didn't fight it. I mean the kid should have been able to comeback from "thumb" surgery by now.
So, are you saying you think he had something other than thumb surgery? I assume so, otherwise why would you put "thumb" in quotes?

So, are you saying you think he had something other than thumb surgery? I assume so, otherwise why would you put "thumb" in quotes?
My phone autocorrected it because I was in an email chain with the quotes around thumb a lot.
Nothing at all with it.

So mentally fragile that “one bad game” destroys him to the point that he gets an unnecessary surgery as a “screw you”...and this is you making the case for him that he should’ve played MORE?

the surgery was for the red shirt. you didn't figure that out yet ?

I have no clue how Carey did in Europe. I didn't really follow those games even though I know the competition sucked.

If he was injured as the kid got surgery in November I would say that probably affected his play in the exhibitions and first 2 games.

They have the highlights on Youtube.....I just remember this team because, Oxygen was in there name!

This was the game that everyone fared okay though and we won by a billion points! I think he was pretty pedestrian in all the other outings.

Ah...August, when we still had dreams of glory in football and basketball...:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom