Jalen Should Stay | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Jalen Should Stay

A healthy Carey has not really received a shot because he played behind Howard and Battle last year. Girard was just given the job this year. Girard is an abysmal defensive player, not an instinctive point guard, has little quickness, has g-d awful shot selection, doesnt even shoot the ball from 3 very well, and has a miserable shot percentage. He still thinks he is in high school and is playing against inferior talent. And, this was the worst year SU has had in the 40 years I have been following SU basketball - not even in the discussion of being on the bubble. Everyone's job should be up for grabs. Yes, assuming Carey is healthy and does not transfer, I'd have open competition for starting point guard.

Carey could’ve been the 3rd guard last year but wasn’t up to it, and could’ve been the starting PG this year. Girard was “given the job” this year because Carey mostly stunk at it all summer(5 games?), in the exhibitions, and the first two games. Career assist to turnover ratio of 26 to 44 suggests he’s not a PG.

You have quite the list of knocks on Girard while acknowledging none of the good things he does, which has me morbidly curious on what you see as Jalen’s strengths/weaknesses.

Actually Boeheim is a two guard, and JB rarely plays more than one guard off the bench. And we needed shooters last year Meanwhile, Battle could also handle the point.

Jalen’s not a two guard? What is he then? A PG with a 26/44 assist to turnover ratio? Or a 2 guard who can’t shoot?

People who want Jalen out there instead of Joe or Buddy have short memories.
There has been absolutely nothing memorable about this year, the defense of Buddy and Girard, and the overall guard play. We are lucky we hit .500 this year in the worst year of ACC basketball in recent memory. I'd give both guards failing grades. Hughes is the only thing that saved us from a sub .500 record. If someone else does not step up, next year will be worse.

you like trashing our own players ? hope you don't get weepy when joe and buddy take shots.

Carey could’ve been the 3rd guard last year but wasn’t up to it, and could’ve been the starting PG this year. Girard was “given the job” this year because Carey mostly stunk at it all summer(5 games?), in the exhibitions, and the first two games. Career assist to turnover ratio of 26 to 44 suggests he’s not a PG.

You have quite the list of knocks on Girard while acknowledging none of the good things he does, which has me morbidly curious on what you see as Jalen’s strengths/weaknesses.
First, Carey was hurt for a lot longer than the university disclosed. "He’s had an injury for quite some time,'' Boeheim said in an interview right after he got hurt.. I believe he was hurt when he struggled, so that is not fair to say he stunk it up. I'd like to see him play healthy.

Carey has NBA potential. He is lightning quick, a far better better defensive player than Giarard. He is taller, which is needed for that zone. He is a natural point guard. I went to the UConn game last year, and he was tremendous. Carey does not appear to have a great shot; however, quite frankly, out 3 pont shooting prowess underachieves every year, so i am skeptical when we say we are good 3 point shooting team. I'd rather have a point guard with good vision, . quickness, high IQ, and who can get to the hoop regularly (I dont have a problem with Girard getting to the hoop, actually). I'd like to see Carey come back, and given a fair shot.

Our weakness it that we stopped recruiting natural point guards. Girard is a 2 guard, playing out of position. Girard has moxie, but a side result of that is awful shot selection, and his decision-making leaves a lot to be desired., which cost us at least a couple of games.

The fact is this was not a good year. Unless Hughes comes back, everyone's job should be on the line.

First, Carey was hurt for a lot longer than the university disclosed. "He’s had an injury for quite some time,'' Boeheim said in an interview right after he got hurt.. I believe he was hurt when he struggled, so that is not fair to say he stunk it up. I'd like to see him play healthy.

Carey has NBA potential. He is lightning quick, a far better better defensive player than Giarard. He is taller, which is needed for that zone. He is a natural point guard. I went to the UConn game last year, and he was tremendous. Carey does not appear to have a great shot; however, quite frankly, out 3 pont shooting prowess underachieves every year, so i am skeptical when we say we are good 3 point shooting team. I'd rather have a point guard with good vision, . quickness, high IQ, and who can get to the hoop regularly (I dont have a problem with Girard getting to the hoop, actually). I'd like to see Carey come back, and given a fair shot.

Our weakness it that we stopped recruiting natural point guards. Girard is a 2 guard, playing out of position. Girard has moxie, but a side result of that is awful shot selection, and his decision-making leaves a lot to be desired., which cost us at least a couple of games.

The fact is this was not a good year. Unless Hughes comes back, everyone's job should be on the line.

Carey had 0 assists and 7 turnovers in that UConn game that you say he was tremendous in. He couldn’t even bring the ball up the court without getting ripped.

He was scoring when he was playing off the ball. I’ve yet to see anything that suggests he’s a PG. he’s fast and has looked good defensively.

you like trashing our own players ? hope you don't get weepy when joe and buddy take shots.
So, no criticism is allowed? Everyone should say everything is fine. If that is case, why should anyone post??? Just to say how wonderful Syracuse basketball is??? People criticize because they care, and it is important. I've been to 3 Final Fours, including the national championship. This is the first year in my memory there is no reason to watch Selection Sunday unless there is a miracle next weekend. And it kills me. I always want everyone to succeed. However, I watch highly ranked college basketball and can see reality and not through Orange colored eyes. Syracuse has a problem (hopefully alleviated with Dior and future recruiting successes), and criticism is warranted after this year..

not a good year ? we broke .500 again !

.500 is average. We are barely above .500.

SU has higher expectations than most programs. SU is one of the most winningest programs in NCAA history, with a coach that has 1000+ wins, and that means something.

Do you honestly think that was a good year??? Hughes was one of the most dominant players in the country this year, and he was barely notice because we have so few good wins. That is a shame.

get it all off your chest. it's cathartic. and please PLEASE put me on ignore. i was talking to my good friend DW.
(who i keep on ignore)

Last edited:
.500 is average. We are barely above .500.

SU has higher expectations than most programs. SU is one of the most winningest programs in NCAA history, with a coach that has 1000+ wins, and that means something.

Do you honestly think that was a good year??? Hughes was one of the most dominant players in the country this year, and he was barely notice because we have so few good wins. That is a shame.

That was sarcasm from boner. He won't acknowledge JB has done anything positive in his entire career and doesn't know how to reply to who he is responding to, so it can make his posts hard to follow

That was sarcasm from boner. He won't acknowledge JB has done anything positive in his entire career and doesn't know how to reply to who he is responding to, so it can make his posts hard to follow

It’s truly amazing that he hasn’t figured that aspect of the board out yet.

get it all off your chest. it's cathartic. and please PLEASE put me on ignore. i was talking to my good friend DW.
(who i keep on ignore)

Oh. In that case, pointing out that a player is not a good PG based on statistics is not “trashing” them.

Jalen could probably be a good SG if he can become a decent 3 point shooter. To date he has not been that, but down the road maybe.

hate to see a player leave but i'm hoping he tears it up wherever he goes and makes you cry .

Last edited:
A healthy Carey has not really received a shot because he played behind Howard and Battle last year. Girard was just given the job this year. Girard is an abysmal defensive player, not an instinctive point guard, has little quickness, has g-d awful shot selection, doesnt even shoot the ball from 3 very well, and has a miserable shot percentage. He still thinks he is in high school and is playing against inferior talent. And, this was the worst year SU has had in the 40 years I have been following SU basketball - not even in the discussion of being on the bubble. Everyone's job should be up for grabs. Yes, assuming Carey is healthy and does not transfer, I'd have open competition for starting point guard.

We should have open competition for every spot next year.

There has been absolutely nothing memorable about this year, the defense of Buddy and Girard, and the overall guard play. We are lucky we hit .500 this year in the worst year of ACC basketball in recent memory. I'd give both guards failing grades. Hughes is the only thing that saved us from a sub .500 record. If someone else does not step up, next year will be worse.

Based on how he played, we would have been sub-.500 with Jalen this year.

Based on how he played, we would have been sub-.500 with Jalen this year.
Jalen played against the toughest defensive team in the nation the season opener.
I mean can we stop with that.
We have no clue how we play during this season with Carey getting minutes and Buddy and Girard splitting PT with him.
You can't judge any player off how they play in 1 game especially against Virginia.

Buddy needs to play less. Carey would have allowed that.

Actually, Girard was behind Carey this year, until Carey played himself out of it, then got hurt.

Jalen played against the toughest defensive team in the nation the season opener.
We have no clue how we play during this season with Carey getting minutes and Buddy and Girard splitting PT with him.
You can't judge any player off how they play in 1 game especially against Virginia.

And Girard went for 19, 6 and 3, at UVA.

He also played extensively last year and looked the same.

And Girard went for 19, 6 and 3, at UVA.
That was the second UVA game after playing half a season.
Maybe playing Girard against UVA would be a good matchup but their were other games that Carey could have been the better option.

He also played extensively last year and looked the same.
Cmon. My goodness. Are you kidding me?
Carey didn't get the minutes as a freshman that Girard got this year.

I mean seriously? Carey was behind Battle and Howard. Seriously this argument I can't believe from you.

Goodine is capable of playing now and isn’t .

So because Carey was inconsistent as a Freshman and struggled against the best defensive team in the nation in the season opener he was bound to suck again this year.

I guess every Freshman on this roster except Girard should just transfer now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom