JB at it again | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

JB at it again

But he answers the same dumb questions in a respectful tone when asked by the national media. He treats the locals like crap, and it's not becoming. He looks like a bully, and I for one would love to see one of the locals call him out.

All the locals have to do is ask intelligent questions. Problem solved.

Of course, to ask intelligent questions you have to interested in writing intelligent stories.
Which they are pretty much uninterested or maybe even incapable of doing.

I'm curious as to what this means. It would be physically impossible for Lydon or Roberson to contest at three at the foul line extended and then get back to the lane in time to contest the shot. UNC went guard to big at foul line to big slashing to the hoop and kept the ball on the same side of the floor. Coleman (or whoever was playing the center) has to come up to contest that big at the foul line because they were lights out from that spot last night. That leaves the wing on the other side, and if he rotates over to the opposite side, the big at the foul line will just find a guy cutting to the spot our other big wing has left.

JB has to give up something - either stop the big wings from extending out so far (which is what should have happened when you have the other team shooting 18 percent) or not complain about the layups and dunks. He needs to expect more from the guards up top to contest those shots as well as the pass to the foul line, and not put all the blame on the wings. In my opinion.

Just be clear the objective is the guard at the top of the zone has his responsibility of the high wing. then the forward has to drop down!!!!

Many times that forward didn't recognize the clear objective of the guard at the top of the zone. Many times that forward was hanging out with no responsibility he's got a bump down that's what kept happening.
If the overload (if there is one) is on the ball side then that means there's typically only one offense player in the paint if there's two or three players hanging out on the wings and the top

It seems they have extended the wings after the St. John's game where we got destroyed by Euro-dudes hitting 3's. Too bad they didn't do it that game because it might have been effective there.
Our F wings now play so far up its ridiculous. Southernland was the first I remember gambling that high but he'd recover. Now it seems a weakness.

The forward wings always came up to guard the arc, it didn't start in 2009. But JB used it more extensively as the 3 point shot became a bigger part of the game.

Correct.

And two passes are much faster than a forward trying to cover 20 feet, especially when that forward has to stop his momentum and change direction.

You're on to it, old bud. Here's what I saw happening. I recognized it right away because a very good coach beat me with it in a city final, when I was running the SU 2-3. When UNC reversed the ball from the strong side over to the off-wing, that wing immediately entered the ball back inside to the high post, who made a touch pass to the baseline cutter for a layup/dunk.

This works well because when the ball was originally on the other wing, one defensive guard is covering the ball while the second fronts the high post. So when the offense skips the ball over to the off wing, the weak side defensive wing pops from the hole out to the ball until the guard gets over (yeah, we all know this), and then he slides back down to the low block/buffer area. At the same time, the high post cuts across the foul line to the elbow which is easy because the guard was defending him on the ball side (read: now the wrong side), so the high post will naturally be open for that entry - especially coming to meet the pass. The defensive wing had to leave the baseline open when he popped out, and cannot possibly get back (nobody can) to the low block to prevent/defend the pass there from the high post.

This was especially effective at the end of the game when SU's 6-deep roster was tired, and couldn't hustle over on D. And I guarantee you this was practiced well in advance, and sprung at the right time. It was no accident. So let's face it, friends, Roy beat Jimmy this time. And I think Jimmy was pissed because he knew it.

Last edited:
Our F wings now play so far up its ridiculous. Southerland was the first I remember gambling that high but he'd recover. Now it seems a weakness.

Wes Johnson was a monster on that off wing, back in the day. He picked off a ton of of those skip/reverse passes or fast break points. Never has a defensive system been matched up with a player so perfectly suited to play it. Those were the days!

if JB doesn't like doing the pressers then just stop. or better yet let the press boycott and just stop showing up to deal with his open disdain. let coach grumpus walk into an empty press room , grumble a bit and leave. he rarely offers any meaningful insights in these brief exchanges anyways.

It's my understanding he's obliged by the NCAA/media contracts to appear.

Cowtown said:
Wes Johnson was a monster on that off wing, back in the day. He picked off a ton of of those skip/reverse passes or fast break points. Never has a defensive system been matched up with a player so perfectly suited to play it. Those were the days!

Back in the day? Man, Feels like yesterday. I still plan on naming my first daughter "Weslica" it's gonna be the new Jessica

Back in the day? Man, Feels like yesterday. I still plan on naming my first daughter "Weslica" it's gonna be the new Jessica

Go for it, man. The Wes and Andy show was a ton of fun! :)

Our F wings now play so far up its ridiculous. Southernland was the first I remember gambling that high but he'd recover. Now it seems a weakness.

First one I remember doing it was the Original T-Rob. I always thought he was out of position when he came out that high. He couldn't always recover either.

This works well because when the ball was originally on the other wing, one defensive guard is covering the ball while the second fronts the high post. So when the offense skips the ball over to the off wing, the weak side defensive wing pops from the hole out to the ball until the guard gets over (yeah, we all know this), and then he slides back down to the low block/buffer area. At the same time, the high post cuts across the foul line to the elbow which is easy because the guard was defending him on the ball side (read: now the wrong side), so the high post will naturally be open for that entry - especially coming to meet the pass. The defensive wing had to leave the baseline open when he popped out, and cannot possibly get back (nobody can) to the low block to prevent/defend the pass there from the high post.

Right on. The forward has to drop back the instant the ball is reversed...any delay at all (say from fatigue or not thinking) and you risk giving up an easy 2.

Carolina's bigs were tremendous against us.

You're on to it, old bud. Here's what I saw happening. I recognized it right away because a very good coach beat me with it in a city final, when I was running the SU 2-3. When UNC reversed the ball from the strong side over to the off-wing, that wing immediately entered the ball back inside to the high post, who made a touch pass to the baseline cutter for a layup/dunk.

This was especially effective at the end of the game when SU's 6-deep roster was tired, and couldn't hustle over on D. And I guarantee you this was practiced well in advance, and sprung at the right time. It was no accident. So let's face it, friends, Roy beat Jimmy this time. And I think Jimmy was pissed because he knew it.

That's a great, insightful post.

And I'll add that it's rare for Roy to beat Boeheim like this (it's not a Dixon/Pitino situation) - Boeheim's outmaneuvered him a number of times in the past. Just a case of Carolina having better personnel than we do and Roy taking full advantage of it.

OttoMets said:
That's a great, insightful post. And I'll add that it's rare for Roy to beat Boeheim like this (it's not a Dixon/Pitino situation) - Boeheim's outmaneuvered him a number of times in the past. Just a case of Carolina having better personnel than we do and Roy taking full advantage of it.
UNC is loaded. I like them to win it all (over KU).

Right on. The forward has to drop back the instant the ball is reversed...any delay at all (say from fatigue or not thinking) and you risk giving up an easy 2.

Carolina's bigs were tremendous against us.
They made the shots we want them to take, like the baseline 12'

JB did seem to gather his composure fairly quickly after the 4 minute mark when he provided good insights. When I was watching the video around the 3 minute mark, I was thinking "7 minutes of this while valid, is going to be awfully awkward"

I don't think JB was mad at Roy for beating him as much as he was mad at his forwards for not doing their job. e.g. Roberson out at the 2:00 min mark.

I don't think JB was mad at Roy for beating him as much as he was mad at his forwards for not doing their job. e.g. Roberson out at the 2:00 min mark.

I still think that was JBs worst move of the night. I know you're mad at the kid, but you just took our best rebounder off the floor. And that hurt us.

I still think that was JBs worst move of the night. I know you're mad at the kid, but you just took our best rebounder off the floor. And that hurt us.

He wasnt rebounding anything or doing much of anything in the second half anyway.

It was so great to watch a Boeheim presser again. Wa
But he answers the same dumb questions in a respectful tone when asked by the national media. He treats the locals like crap, and it's not becoming. He looks like a bully, and I for one would love to see one of the locals call him out.
Who in the national media is he nice to besides Bilas? He went nuts all over Andy Katz a few years back. He treats them all the same.

I completely disagree. Even when he isn't grabbing the board, he's tipping it to someone else. Not sure why he gets so much hate here.

I have come to the conclusion that TRob is less of a disappointment and that his teammates are more to blame for not knowing how to incorporate him into the offense. It's similar to Rakeem's situation; if you can't feed the post, the post goes hungry. The next time G hits him with a pass on the pick and roll, when TRob rolls beautifully to the lane to get open for his reliable 10 footer or drive and finish at the rim, will be the first time. G just stares at him.

It was so great to watch a Boeheim presser again. Wa

Who in the national media is he nice to besides Bilas? He went nuts all over Andy Katz a few years back. He treats them all the same.
Vitale, Raf, McDonough, and plenty of others.

I have come to the conclusion that TRob is less of a disappointment and that his teammates are more to blame for not knowing how to incorporate him into the offense. It's similar to Rakeem's situation; if you can't feed the post, the post goes hungry. The next time G hits him with a pass on the pick and roll, when TRob rolls beautifully to the lane to get open for his reliable 10 footer or drive and finish at the rim, will be the first time. G just stares at him.

Have you seen Roberson on offense? Why would you want to incorporate that into our already bad offense?

Have you seen Roberson on offense? Why would you want to incorporate that into our already bad offense?

He's shooting 51% and averaging 10 pts, on a team with no distributor. Yes, I want to see more of his 10-15 foot J, more crashing of the glass, and more pick and roll with him. G is bound to figure it out before season's end. The offense is bad not because of him, that's ridiculous.

He was perfect from the field against the UNC. Why wouldn't you want more?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom